test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Positive Comments on Combat Changes

2»

Comments

• johnnystranger#5900 johnnystranger Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    > @dustcow#4870 said:
    > LOL. Try a few runs of Cradle of the Death God with randoms and you'll get off the 'positivity' real quick...

> @dustcow#4870 said:
    > LOL. Try a few runs of Cradle of the Death God with randoms and you'll get off the 'positivity' real quick...

Lol , I pugged RTQ today with 1 alliance member . It was the best codg I’ve ever experienced . Not one ball or cube missed , no one died on push pull . I know this will never happen again though lol
  • vaultingfrog#2497 vaultingfrog Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Its difficult to come up with anything positive with such a fundamentally flawed update... its broken at its core and its reflected in how the game is reacting...

That being said the graphics are nice and shiny.
  • dandare#8529 dandare Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 337 Arc User
    Hmm.... my 24k DPS Thaumaturge and Assassin with Mystagogue outperform 45k+ DPSs in team on scaled content?

Not sure if it's 'positive' but it is funny for sure.
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • jeremytheman232jeremytheman232 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I love them. Since the changes my pally who used to lead lomm and crl in dps healing and tanking can now barely kill trash mobs. With my free time I'm finding great new games to play.
  • onethree13#1845 onethree13 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    davewe said:

What a cracking patch, these changes really are good.

Neverwinter has always required the intelligence of a biscuit to play, everything pretty much dies in 1 shot, dungeons been a mess at low to mid level for many years now due to the diabolical scaling and this game has NEVER played like a MMORPG at the low to mid level game.(can't speak for high end game as the game's never attracted me to play it ever for longer than 20-30 mins a day tops).

Now, finally, we are seeing changes that push Neverwinter to be much more like a MMORPG. DPS to early and SPLAT your dead, healer slacks and whack your gonna wipe this game DESPERATELY needed this I cannot believe I am reading that some people do not like these changes.

All that's happening here is people are just stuck in a rut. You've been to used to just holding down the left mouse button killing all in a heartbeat and moving on to the next daily.

Luckily for me having played many other MMORPG's going right back to the 1990's I am just applying all the rules of MMORPG's to this game, DPS don't attack till tank has aggro , don't turn AOE's on healer etc etc all the bread and butter rules.

Neverwinter BADLY needed this patch as this game has been dull and boring for a long while only worth playing for it's decent campaign, the state of the low and mid game has been a shambles for a very long time.

Big clap to Arc for making these brave changes, death and mayhem now prevail in the trials and skirmishes and it's tense now whether your gonna get gold/silver etc sure beat's auto winning and getting gold just for pressing yes to the que popping up!!

Don't lose heart though people, once you break out of the rut of just mindlessly playing the game and not caring about what you do because it never actually mattered due to the ease of the game, you'll actually find it's really not that hard just like any other MMORPG, just now you need to concentrate more!!.

Are tanks needed in all dungeons, without exception? Lol.
    About the positive. These changes only brought even more disbalance to the game. This is the first thing. Although the game hasn't been balanced before, hmm. And the second, the players spent money to exchange some enchantments and companions for another. What did it bring to the game? Only pain, suffering and a new reason to spend game money (for some, perhaps not only game money). That's all the changes.
    ps oh yes, one more positive from the changes - it became much harder for the heals, since the many players began to run with active companions.
    Very very positive changes...
  • autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,133 Arc User
    They increased the GM limit to 50K. This made me quite happy.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • raziel2004#7353 raziel2004 Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Love it.. i can play all my toons now except tank coz tank suc..
  • missdayummissdayum Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Just one. We have more HP? :p
    Best guild: Guardians of the Fallen (2019-2021)
    My past guilds: Guardians of Midgard/HazardousNation/SomewhatSerious/JesusHadSoulforged/ImperialLegion/LadiesofNeverwinter/OutKast
    My past alliances: LookGoodPlayGood/Eviscerate/JesusHadSoulforged/Ruthless/TheLegendaryOutlaws

GWF - 4,069 Gear Score (classic)
    Barbarian - 48,499 Total Item Level
    RIP Bonding Runestones since "combat/companion changes" update on February 5, 2021

Master of Svardborg (banner) trophy, unlocked January 4, 2020! (Playstation4) / Master of Svardborg (banner) achievement, unlocked August 9, 2017! (XboxOne) / Dragon's Bane (Defeat 1000 Dragons) trophy, unlocked February 5, 2020! (Playstation4) / Dragon's Bane (Defeat 1000 Dragons) achievement, unlocked June 9, 2015! (XboxOne) / Portal Dodger achievement, unlocked July 16, 2017! (XboxOne)
  • mikewho#5331 mikewho Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    Positives..... Using gold to buy potions and the boon that makes your potions heal the group is definitely a plus and usable now.
    My Sunelf having more AP% is a plus
    The wider variety of moderately damaging comps you can choose from gives it a bit more personalization. Being able to be a bit flexible in weapon choices cause the dmg not being applied by them.
    My T3 boots and shirt and RC /iC bracers pretty much alll I need to cap power.
    While older stuff is a bit boring cause the lengths at which you go to complete things for poo in return, is a bit sad, but on newer stuff it does make things a bit funner cause the intensity of survival and working as a team.

and Possibly “Elitism” or rather the negatives of elitism might be thrown out the window cause everyone kinda sucks without a fighter comp now.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User

(no more dumb power or %damage stacking)

I can't fathom that for some people stacking and focusing on three aspects of the build per role that you are playing is somewhat counter-intuitive over having to own a zoo.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

As a newish player (~31k il after the patch) I'm enjoying the changes as it's made the game a lot more challenging. Before I was able to 1 tap entire mobs of enemies in lower level areas, now I find myself dodging around, moving, avoiding red areas like a crazy person, etc. The combat system is really shining a lot more now that I have to actually use it! :)

That said I feel like even basic fights are tough enough that when you look at say, completing an entire campaign the juice is no longer worth the squeeze for such small rewards. I'd prefer to see all campaign currency rewards at a minimum doubled if not tripled, to match the required effort now compared to pre-patch to complete tasks towards completion.

I also feel like the rewards for redq and rtq for example should be increased by at least 20 or 30% to match the new difficulty levels with increased chances for rare rewards.

Perfect example, I pugged "throne of the dwarven gods" last night and it was a catastrophe. People dying left and right, the entire squad got steamrolled. I'm sure a better squad/guild run would be smoother but the rare reward from that chest is "dwarven spelunking" and that thing should drop now at least 50% of the time instead of 1/500 runs or whatever it is now, lol

I mean that seriously, it's 10x harder so improve the reward chances by 10x to fit.

gee, this sounds like fun.. yeah, great changes....... :/
  • dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User

well, they're making it much easier for me to sever ties to the game. I have lost all temptation to buy zen on pc for vip. and now that money can go to bethesda for random cosmetics in camp building. yay!

I came back for a week. I gave it the old college try. end result is a big ol nope.

Yup totally agree I'm just logging in each day to collect my vip . As it stands now I see no reason to buy anymore Zen after it runs out in about 3 months . But on a positive note I have found other game to play and it is not made by this company and doubt I will ever buy into anything this company puts out.

"What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • anjicat#4942 anjicat Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Firstly, I think this thread is a brilliant idea, ty for starting it. I sometimes think I'm a lone voice in the darkness for saying I like the changes the combat rework has brought.

I honestly didn't suffer too much when they came in because I never focused solely on power to generate damage. Swapped a few enchants where I'd capped and was good to go.

I love that all 6 of my characters feel different to play again, that I don't have to check the colour of the graphic to remind myself which spell slinger I'm using.

I love that every place I've been into since the change is at least pleasantly challenging, that actual basic tactics are relevant like putting your back to a wall so you can't get surrounded.

I love that companions are now a pool of resources for your character to draw on, being able to choose different ones to support different circumstances

I think the exchange mechanism for Bonding runestones and radiant/empowered was a brilliant way swap obsolete things for useful things to reinvest into your characters.

I love that the new system supports individuality so you don't have to conform rigidly to template to functional.

I can also see that this is a fantastic foundation for the Dev's to bring in more interesting items and look forward seeing what occurs on this font in the future
  • mikewho#5331 mikewho Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    There is a lot of positives I see them...... except guild boons really, who’s gonna want to level up a guild for 300 rating points🤦‍♂️
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User

There is a lot of positives I see them...... except guild boons really, who’s gonna want to level up a guild for 300 rating points🤦‍♂️

you can easily check this by clicking on the guild boon, and see your stats, and choosing another one, and see how much stats you lose/gain. its 3000 for a maxed out boon.
  • treentbail21#9864 treentbail21 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    My only problem with the game is that hrs and trs are far too tanky for a dps class in pvp. They can literally fight 2 or 3 people with their dodge mechanics alone. That and dps fighters hit too hard. Other then that all the other classes seem evenly matched.
  • anjicat#4942 anjicat Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    > @dandare#8529 said:
    > Hmm.... my 24k DPS Thaumaturge and Assassin with Mystagogue outperform 45k+ DPSs in team on scaled content?

This is where the scaling magic shows its hand, obviously can't see actual numbers but my first thought is that although they have a higher TIL, you have balanced your ratings better giving you better percentages and it's those that define your effectiveness in scaled content
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

> @dandare#8529 said:

> Hmm.... my 24k DPS Thaumaturge and Assassin with Mystagogue outperform 45k+ DPSs in team on scaled content?

This is where the scaling magic shows its hand, obviously can't see actual numbers but my first thought is that although they have a higher TIL, you have balanced your ratings better giving you better percentages and it's those that define your effectiveness in scaled content

that's exactly it, but it shouldn't be possible. I did this on purpose with a build and was able to replicate it. and right after I did that I thought it was hilarious... for about 24 hours. then all the implications started setting in and I was like why am I here? what am I doing? I could be vacuuming for dust bunnies under the tv... maybe I'll just do that.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    It may take a little while for it to bite, but this scaling will bite them - in the pocket. As such, expect another major overhaul within the foreseeable future.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox