test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I feel a bit helpless

2»

Comments

• ultramath#3953 ultramath Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    cisticola said:

Using Burning Light, Banishment and Smite on my Pally. Works well. Although I feel like I'm now playing The Secret World (not the reboot, the old game), Each encounter is dangerous, stun, dodge, strike, stun, get distance, strike. This is not D&D as I know it and is causing fatigue very quickly :anguished:

Have you considered running with a heal power of some kind? Just being able to occasionally intersperse a heal can make a very drastic difference in your stress levels. For example, I was leveling a cleric before I got caught up in running my trashGWF for the help thread, and my cleric after the patch was in zero danger every single time. All it took was to occasionally pop an at-will heal on myself or my comp every 5-10 secs or so during a battle. I finished every fight at full health and nearly full divinity. I was never stressed out lol.
  • vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    if you keep looking through these forums both live and preview it is quite easy to fin at least 2 who are at the very least employees of n/w one of them has commented on this thread
    ther answere is always
    how good the patch is
    spend more zen to make this stat of that stat higher
    about time they realised (adinosii i am speaking to you) 99.99% of the player base thinks this update sux
    pretty much everyone doesnt have gm rights on live server to play around as they like and are finding it extremely difficult to get there heads around what the h**l to do to make their toons even viable now
    most of us come here for down time and relaxation not for a major headache and an extermely complicated maths equasion

What's the difference between an augment and fighting companion? Does the minstrel count as a fighting companion because that's what I use.

The minstrel counts as a fighting comp, and he can indeed provide you with CA on your enemies if you flank them in the purple zone around their feet.

HOWEVER

The minstrel, as cool as he is with his lyre and jokes, is not too terribly good of a healer. You may have noticed that already. LOL

In contrast, the freebie wayward wizard (which is an invaluable part of my trashGWF playthru on the help thread) is able to cast large AoE slows that can turn a tricky battle against many enemies into a near-guaranteed win. His slow power lasts a pretty long time and if it hits a lot of mobs it really buys you some breathing room. I can't tell you how many times that companion has saved my life and made it possible for even my scrub-poor no potion-having Barbarian to somehow pull victory from his rear end yet again.
  • thelawra#4078 thelawra Member Posts: 13 Arc User

If you're not already, try joining a guild. Boons will help increase important stats for you while increase your hp 40k+ and add some damage to you. Might be able to find some people who can help run with you or teach you some tricks to leveling faster, may even have some guildies who are willing to throw some beginner stuff at you, rank 9s, crafted gear ect (Its what I do whenever we have new guildies join).

I get where you are coming from but what if someone wants to play solo? I don't really want to play with other people or join a guild. I prefer to play on my own and I bet I'm not the only one. And I don't think it's exactly right to expect people to join guilds or something just to progress in the game. Seems a bit weird.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    It's not expected, it would make your life easier. There are solo guilds and discords specifically for players that want to play solo but do want infos, boons, a little guidance.
    That said, it IS possible to play a lot solo but it is a MMO and it is not offensive to try to help out by saying you could join a guild - it is something new players often overlook but can greatly enhance the time spent online IF you want.

- bye bye -
  • dandare#8529 dandare Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 337 Arc User
    So OP, as things stand now it seems there are about 4 to 5 factions of players after patch:

New F2P players - who struggle just like you and en-masse stopped playing in wait for new patches

Old F2P players - who depending on their up till now know-how and skills somehow bear with it but still struggle

Average premium content players - who are neither hardcore pro nor sink in ton of money (my people I guess) but hold significant skill and gathered some premium stuff either via paying real money or earning it in game. Some of Us who recall game since beta are capable of running through and things like mythic mounts help for sure. Yet make no mistake: we still struggle... a lot... in weird places. Like: some bosses are downright less threat than mobs defending them. How? Why? And if averagely sized goblin runs at me at 23mph with 1 pound short sword: how come he deals twice as much damage as his big boss dragon does with half a ton claw swinging at least 60mph to my face? Ah, some life questions we have. As always: I blame Gnomes, and their tomfooleries~

High End Hardcore Paid players - who (make no mistake!) not only sank a budget possibly comparable to a small and economically struggling country into this game (possibly over the years) but are also pretty well informed and skillful players. They often do admit nerf is reality, but fail to see any hardship in that (they still can dominate... well 'more or less")

5th possible faction is:
    Some weird masochists - they lack gear, skill and ability to survive but still sing praises to seven heavens about how glorious of a change new patch is. I take small sadistic pleasure in watching them perish time and time again in some zones as they claim that they would do better as a group only to struggle to find anyone willing to group with them... then going solo, dying, rinse repeat. They might've awakened HAMSTER in me...

So yeah, certainly your struggle is not rare sight. I would say majority of us still can win, and progress, but at much slower and frustrating pace. I would say least 90% of us seem to 'struggle' to some degree with new changes :/

"You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • netherdragon#0997 netherdragon Member Posts: 51 Arc User

What's the difference between an augment and fighting companion? Does the minstrel count as a fighting companion because that's what I use.

The minstrel counts as a fighting comp, and he can indeed provide you with CA on your enemies if you flank them in the purple zone around their feet.

HOWEVER

The minstrel, as cool as he is with his lyre and jokes, is not too terribly good of a healer. You may have noticed that already. LOL

In contrast, the freebie wayward wizard (which is an invaluable part of my trashGWF playthru on the help thread) is able to cast large AoE slows that can turn a tricky battle against many enemies into a near-guaranteed win. His slow power lasts a pretty long time and if it hits a lot of mobs it really buys you some breathing room. I can't tell you how many times that companion has saved my life and made it possible for even my scrub-poor no potion-having Barbarian to somehow pull victory from his rear end yet again.

Oh maybe I might try the wizard companion then, the aoe will help with the way I play for sure.
  • cisticolacisticola Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2021

cisticola said:

Using Burning Light, Banishment and Smite on my Pally. Works well. Although I feel like I'm now playing The Secret World (not the reboot, the old game), Each encounter is dangerous, stun, dodge, strike, stun, get distance, strike. This is not D&D as I know it and is causing fatigue very quickly :anguished:

Have you considered running with a heal power of some kind? Just being able to occasionally intersperse a heal can make a very drastic difference in your stress levels. For example, I was leveling a cleric before I got caught up in running my trashGWF for the help thread, and my cleric after the patch was in zero danger every single time. All it took was to occasionally pop an at-will heal on myself or my comp every 5-10 secs or so during a battle. I finished every fight at full health and nearly full divinity. I was never stressed out lol.
    Was about to try your suggestion, but what with the recent patch, surviveability is not an issue for me. It's now just about damage, these mobs are now huge sponges, too long and many just stand there drinking a healing potion, fully healed, seriously? If it was'nt for the kindness of passing strangers, I'd still be there bashing away. Fatigue to boredom, oh well...
  • cisticolacisticola Member Posts: 17 Arc User

cisticola said:

Was going to try your suggestion, but what with the latest patch, it's all about damge rather than surviving. These mobs are like sponges, too long, they stand there drinking a healing potion, fully healed, seriously? If it was'nt for the kindness of passing strangers, I'd still be there bashing away. Fatigue to boredom, oh well...
  • datarider#1036 datarider Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    cisticola said:

Was going to try your suggestion, but what with the latest patch, it's all about damge rather than surviving. These mobs are like sponges, too long, they stand there drinking a healing potion, fully healed, seriously? If it was'nt for the kindness of passing strangers, I'd still be there bashing away. Fatigue to boredom, oh well...

The healer paragon also has a shield, does slightly more dmg (in my exp) and when you hold the tab, you can give yourself a very nice shield-hp. That means you can fight and not just stand there with your shiled up as you do with the tank :) I did my solo play on pally with the heals :) try it :)

With that said, the game is unplayable right now - come back in a month or two - save yourself some nerves :)
    Also, I wasn't kidding about having combat advantage for more damage. It's twice as much. I'm not exaggerating. My cleric eliminates mobs more than fast enough due to my positioning, and it's a lot fewer casts and less waste of divinity.