test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Random Number Generator - RNG - toon does not Receive Decent Drops?

ontrix1ontrix1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 89 Arc User
Is there a way to make the RNG more favorable to a player? I have been playing Neverwinter since it was in Beta and I have a character that has the worst RNG luck there is. I have opened numerous boxes and have yet to receive an Epic Mount or anything worth while. When I open treasure boxes at the end of a dungeon, I get very little when it comes to awards while I see my friends get Epic this and epic that.

Comments

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    When you say numerous boxes how many are you talking about?

I have opened maybe 700 boxes and never had an orange mount, ive had a few purple companions [4 or 5] and a handful of purple mounts and maybe 3 orange stones.

And to answer your question some people go to private dungeons solo to open boxes or low population instances or zones and they think it gives them better luck. Ive tried it myself and can't say I noticed much difference.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    The new lockbox (the last one and the current one) had the odd of the prime prize adjusted (to be better than before).

For doing any 'serious' RNG related stuff, I always (that does not mean it is true to make any difference):
    - go to a lone instance.
    - open a lot such as 50 to 100 in a row.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    regpeiregpei Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Ahhh the Neverwinter superstitions! Personally I only refine in blacklake, and I open lockboxes in what I think is the Stronghold Siege tutorial which gives me a private SH instance lol

There is no factual advantage to doing this, just what I've observed and where I had success :) I pulled 2 orange mounts in my SH instance so far!
  • Options
    mrbogusmrbogus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Eat an apple while standing on 1 foot and rubbing your belly before opening lockboxes.

I also heard sleeping with a dev works too.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I can explain the math behind pseudo random algorithms, but it will not help you win more or have better luck.

To put it simply, nothing in the universe is truly random. There are several types of random number generators created using seed values, some seed values are based off the hardware of the machine running them. That machine in this case would be the server in California.

Many people claim the first random number generator was invented by a Franciscan "Brother Edvin" sometime between 1240 and 1250. Modern computers have been using simple forms since the 1950's. The Wichmann–Hill generator of the 1980's still used in many areas, BASIC programming language, Python 2.2, and MS Excel. If you pull up a blank spreadsheet program and type =RAND() you will get a different decimal point number between 0 and 1 each time. To get precise values we multiple it and round it off. =roundup(rand()*100) will produce 1 to 100 results. Since then MIXMAX, Fibonacci generators, and all sorts have been created.

Some programmers like to create their own algorithm to make the series unique. I was given the task to create a simple shell game using the random in Pascal back in my University days. I came up with my own approach. I made the introduction loop a 32 bit integer variable waiting for the user to press any key. The user became my random process or algorithm. When the user pressed the key, I used modulus of 3 to get the values 0, 1, or 2. For example; if the variable was 8094 when the increments stopped, 8094 mod 3 = 0 then they would guess where the pea is under the cup.

I always felt using the player as the random factor was more appropriate, as they have no clue where the variable would be when they pressed the key. While I too have heard many silly methods to beat the math, I am thinking a lot more depends at what nanosecond you press the left click on your mouse to pop it open.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Well, i guess we all have our little routines for opening lockboxes... but in the end, it's all about RNGesus having a good day or not. If he has, you might finally get that shiny precious you wanted for so long from that box, if not, well, a boatload of HAMSTER will rain down into your inventory.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!