test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changing Healing potions

With dps and healers having on average 400k+ hp at endgame and tank now having well over 1 million hitpoints, with the best crafted potions barely healing over 100k with guild boon and campaign boons, can we start changing the potions to hp% healed?

Even when making a new character, the healing potions provided to us don't heal even a 10th of our hp as we leave the tutorial.

While leveling a new character I'm usually hit for more in a single swipe from an enemy in Blackdagger.

I'd suggest not being able to use potions lower than our char's level (so that future improved crafted potions become valuable and avoid people making the cheapest potions to use) and potions healing a base of 50%, 55% at +1. With guild boon bringing it up to 70% (which would require changing its current %) and remove potion boons from the campaign boon list. This would still make health stones the best option, not require the potion boon, but gives people on a budget something realistic to work with.

Would love to hear other suggestions as always.

Comments

• Options
    mongol69mongol69 Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Well, since they sell health stones in zen market, I doubt they will want to make potions relevant.
  • Options
    kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Also, since they are trying to make healers required in the game, I don't think this is going to happen either.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Also Vip and keys opening lockboxes get you trade bars which also get you health stones at the tradebar merchant ..
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    The healing system in this game has never felt right. Fights are fast and furious so we don't get bored, but that makes our health rocket up and down fast too. It would be nice to slow this down, but I think the game would get boring then. Maybe it would make sense to change Heath Stones instead. If Health Stones restored half of our missing health, +10,000 extra health and Cryptic doubled the stack quantity of every stone so players don't cry that they were ripped off, I'd like to see that, but I'd have to play test it before committing to it.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User

Fights are fast and furious so we don't get bored, but that makes our health rocket up and down fast too.

Just let the tank do the pulling and aggro management?

Dps that get spanked in dungeons really have no reason to complain when hey don't let the tank do his job.

I don't see this as much of a problem in overland solo zones.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    I like the idea of % health potions, however 50% is too much. 25% is reasonable, add in boons and incoming healing to the actual number healed so as too not make them too overpowered.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

Fights are fast and furious so we don't get bored, but that makes our health rocket up and down fast too.

Just let the tank do the pulling and aggro management?

Dps that get spanked in dungeons really have no reason to complain when hey don't let the tank do his job.

I don't see this as much of a problem in overland solo zones.
    The problem with this concept is the fact that there is no "pulling" mechanic in NW dungeons. Forget the fact that every dungeon is simply a sprint to the end in most cases - even if they weren't, there is 1 major issue with the "just let the tank do it all" theory. Every pull in NW is a "linked" pull. You can not seperate mobs - you aggro one, you aggro them all. I am not an expert on tanking in NW, but I figure it would be almost impossible for a tank to hold aggro in that scenario.

When talking about bosses, well, rarely is there a battle in which there isn't an aggro reset, or an AOE, etc. So you will take some damage.

Ultimately, NW has always had a problem with healing in general. As is stated above, health goes up and down at such a rapid pace, traditional "watching health bars and healing those who need it" is basically impossible, because the person's dead. Healers need to use skills that trigger on things, or heal over times that keep going.

I don't see them making potions percentage based, as that would make healers less useful again. Health stones are already super common and easy to get. They removed lifesteal to force healers up the priority chain, but I think the better idea would be to give everyone equal-ish healing abilities that result from using skills, and be done with it. Each class would get a couple abilities that allow them to heal allies, and the dedicated healer goes away.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    In group content, it's the DPS's job to not get hit, or at least limit the amount of times you get hit in cases where boss mechanics makes avoidance impossible. If you need potions for minions in dungeons, you are likely pulling too many groups.

I think what most people want potions for is when dealing with content designed for solo play when you aren't over-geared. Having potions that can actually heal 25% of your health bar, instead of the paltry amount they do now would greatly help players who are still trying to gear themselves.
  • Options
    kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    I really do not find potions doing around 100k hp healing to be that paltry.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2020

The problem with this concept is the fact that there is no "pulling" mechanic in NW dungeons. Forget the fact that every dungeon is simply a sprint to the end in most cases - even if they weren't, there is 1 major issue with the "just let the tank do it all" theory. Every pull in NW is a "linked" pull. You can not seperate mobs - you aggro one, you aggro them all. I am not an expert on tanking in NW, but I figure it would be almost impossible for a tank to hold aggro in that scenario.

There certainly is pulling - a pull is the act of aggroing mobs.

While it can be difficult to keep aggro on all mobs, tank still should be the one in charge of aggroing stuff:
    * There is a spike of damage at start of fights since all mobs got their encounters ready at that time
    * When you get aggro, anyone else must overaggro by 10% before a mob will switch target
    * By letting tank handle pulls, tank can focus on the big ones in the pack
    * Tanks also usually have the best understanding of how much damage they can handle, so as to avoid overaggro and wipes
    * Tanks also tends to have a better tactical understanding of the zones - not *all* encounters do necessarily have to be killed

Some small ones in a pack breaking away from tank towards the end of the fight usually is not a problem.

In addition comes the psychological aspect - running ahead of tank shows disrespect of the tank and his role. We *really* need more tanks in game, so if more people showed respect for the tank role *also in the lesser dungeons*, maybe we would get more people playing tanks?
    Post edited by mentinmindmaker on
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I am admittedly terrible about racing my DPS characters through 'lesser' dungeons. I do have an idea that would help to make tanking a more important role ( for tanks, and not for other classes assuming the role).

For the first 4 seconds in combat, tanks deal 10% more damage, receive 10% less damage, generate 10% more threat, and move 10% faster.

This will help tanks get to enemies faster, help them hold aggro, and give them yet another way to survive spikes better than other classes. This change would not stop DPS from rushing ahead and it is not supposed to. Instead, it gives tanks a stronger role capability which can be utilized by teams for their benefit, which gives tanks more value overall.
    Post edited by zimxero#8085 on