test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stop the fear mongering please, the game isn't dying.

2»

Comments

• evemjevemj Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    As long as people understand that "the game is dying" should be read as "the game will be dead to me if things don't change", we'll stop having these "convos".
    I'm sure some people think the former, but I prefer the latter approach as it's more likely to bring about changes, which may be needed or simply beneficial to the health of the game.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    If they game were truly dead to them they wouldn't show up on the forums complaining about it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    > @autumnwitch said:
    > Bioware would give us the Neverwinter we deserve.

Years ago I would have agreed when dealing with the BioWare of old. These days?.... Yeah, no.
  • zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    > @tgwolf said:
    > This game always has new players.
    >
    > It's not going anywhere for many years.

A more important 3-part question is, 'How many of however many new players: 1. Spend money on the game? 2. How much do they spend? 3. And how long do they remain active in the game?

The salaries of the dev team, their work tools, servers, etc. aren't justified to PWE by purely f2p players. That's the cold, hard, unadulterated truth.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    @sobi#1980 The wizards have 4 encounter powers, the TAB key can slot a 4th power that is buffed by Arcane Mastery. The ranger somewhat has 6. When they switch stance with the TAB key, the encounters are changed from range to melee versions. However I don't always care much for the result of the alternate power.

@hadestemplar#9918 my husband and I have talked at some lengths as to the benefits of online gaming and making a solo playable online game. There are some basic psychological needs filled by online games. I will attempt to cover some of them now;
    Ego - Everyone wants to be famous or infamous. This doesn't mean they need to play in a group, they just need recognition of hundreds of complete strangers to fill this desire.
    Sense of Community - These players just want to discuss topics, game related or not, they may desire to be helpful, or just need someone to talk to while they play the game. Some of these people don't play they only join to chat and joke around. Others want to role-play as their persona.
    Survival - We are only playing a game, but we don't care to die over and over again. So we team up for safety in numbers. This cannot be done in one player games played offline.

There are plenty of reasons for introverts (such as myself) need a community of complete strangers to hang out with. Just because you can play the game with chat muted, there will always be those special moments, you will flip it back on to ask another player, "What the Hell do you think you're doing?".

Have fun! <3

wb-cenders.gif
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

...Flash forward to the current financial year during COVID and massive unemployment and I highly doubt they will match last years numbers. I honestly can’t see them staying afloat much longer. Either they will be sold (most likely IMO), declare bankruptcy or go under altogether.

From what I've seen in this game and another MMO I play, I think it's the opposite, in terms of impact on bottomline due to COVID. More people are working remote or as you note are under or unemployed. This means more not less potential freetime/downtime for players seeking distractions like MMORPGs.

The OG areas and early campaign zones look pretty busy lately when I have reason to visit them. That's anecdotal, I have no data other than what I observe.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    When they cant even be bothered making something new for the first mythic mount I'm not being filled with confidence that we are going to get any decent content in a hurry.

So might as well be dying

OK back to running over manes in my car, over and over and over and over and over and over and over
  • jimmypdtjimmypdt Member Posts: 121 Arc User

@sobi#1980 The wizards have 4 encounter powers, the TAB key can slot a 4th power that is buffed by Arcane Mastery. The ranger somewhat has 6. When they switch stance with the TAB key, the encounters are changed from range to melee versions. However I don't always care much for the result of the alternate power.

@hadestemplar#9918 my husband and I have talked at some lengths as to the benefits of online gaming and making a solo playable online game. There are some basic psychological needs filled by online games. I will attempt to cover some of them now;
    Ego - Everyone wants to be famous or infamous. This doesn't mean they need to play in a group, they just need recognition of hundreds of complete strangers to fill this desire.
    Sense of Community - These players just want to discuss topics, game related or not, they may desire to be helpful, or just need someone to talk to while they play the game. Some of these people don't play they only join to chat and joke around. Others want to role-play as their persona.
    Survival - We are only playing a game, but we don't care to die over and over again. So we team up for safety in numbers. This cannot be done in one player games played offline.

There are plenty of reasons for introverts (such as myself) need a community of complete strangers to hang out with. Just because you can play the game with chat muted, there will always be those special moments, you will flip it back on to ask another player, "What the Hell do you think you're doing?".

Have fun!

May I suggest SW:TOR. It checks almost every box for many (most??) players in both the multiplayer and solo content. Its got a story mode for people who just want the story (easy enemies, hard for you to be killed). Veteran mode for people who want a bit of a challenge (Harder enemies, you can die sometimes). And Master mode for those who want a real challenge (Deadly enemies that are unforgiving, you will die often until you skill and gear really improves). The harder the mode the better the rewards. It can really pay off to join up with others and do master mode! These 3 mode can be changed at anytime for the story lines, dungeons, trials, heroics, basically everything.
    When Neverwinter announced that they are bringing in easier versions of dungeons and stuff I thought they might do what SWTOR did. Maybe they still will. I mean they are giving us 2 versions of a trial so far. Anything is possible.
    I wish you the best,

OPTank_
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    jimmypdt said:

Have fun!

May I suggest SW:TOR. It checks almost every box for many (most??) players in both the multiplayer and solo content. Its got a story mode for people who just want the story (easy enemies, hard for you to be killed). Veteran mode for people who want a bit of a challenge (Harder enemies, you can die sometimes). And Master mode for those who want a real challenge (Deadly enemies that are unforgiving, you will die often until you skill and gear really improves). The harder the mode the better the rewards. It can really pay off to join up with others and do master mode! These 3 mode can be changed at anytime for the story lines, dungeons, trials, heroics, basically everything.
    When Neverwinter announced that they are bringing in easier versions of dungeons and stuff I thought they might do what SWTOR did. Maybe they still will. I mean they are giving us 2 versions of a trial so far. Anything is possible.
    I wish you the best,

OPTank_
    Sorry @jimmypdt I am not seeking to play another MMO, this was mostly a response to hadestemplar's question on page 1 "Who wants to play solo MMO, if you can simply play offline RPG game?". I think we have all seen Cryptic has tried to force people to play together, and that never works in any game. Random Que went from 3 man PUGs to 5 man PUGs with minimum of 1 tank and 1 healer. To me this was like gym class and I got picked last being the short round girl. I don't run RQ dungeons for this reason... it is a forced union. I will do PUGs once in a while. Recently I have noticed, I have a lot of Demogorgon keys, been doing the trial without the random factor.

My point isn't finding another game or trying to make Neverwinter Online become SWTOR, DCUO, DDO, GW, or EQ. Neverwinter Online needs to find its own path. My point above is, Cryptic developers and producers need to understand the driven psychology behind the reason people play. They can use it to make the game work to draw in a larger crowd and also give players a reason to stay longer than the average. I will continue to play Neverwinter as long as there is something here to play. Even if, PWE sells out to Konami and turns it into another slot machine... maybe. :anguished:

Meanwhile Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Cryptic developers seem to have the mindset that the players should be playing the game the way the devs envision it. Any deviance should be punished.
  • rarraazrarraaz Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Or maybe.... just maybe....one developer could actually bother themselves to read a players manual. Honestly, I started the game thinking it had elements of D&D, what a complete disappointment. It feels like they built the game around watching movies, (Oh look the priest is holding up a crucifix!) BEGONE DEMON!!!! Then I look at the D&D cleric, plat armor, shields, war hammers.... I said this once and I will say it again, the only thing D&D about this game is the name, and even that is just a trap to lure in new players.