test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stop the fear mongering please, the game isn't dying.

arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
"Fourth, the game is nearing the end of its life cycle. They will continue to update it and make additions while the game remains profitable, but I would not be surprised to see it go into "maintenance mode" in a couple of years. You do not make major changes to something if you have already decided to let it die slowly."

Too many times I am seeing messages similar to those above, especially when they do not have proof to back up what they are saying.

They are making changes to the game, they are actively investing back into the game, they are wanting our feedback on what the players would want to see in the game going forward. We have a roadmap showing these things, we have interviews in which these things are being said. This needs to be more widespread. However, as misinformation often does, the opinions are spreading faster than the facts and people tend to trust the word of a guildmate or friend over that of some internet nobody.

I welcome anyone who wants to add to the discussion or to debate what I presented.

Video interview with Chris Whiteside and Nova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YdQMYNBMqo
Written interview, also with Chris Whiteside: https://bleedingcool.com/games/interview-chris-whiteside-for-neverwinter-avernus/
Updated Roadmap for PC: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1257330/updated-neverwinter-roadmap-stream/p1

Comments

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    greywynd said:

People have been crying the game is dying since I started playing 6 years ago.

Every MMO I ever played has suffered the same rumours...
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I've played a dying MMO before. Neverwinter is not it. Is it as popular as WoW? Of course not. But it has a steady population. New players are constantly coming in to replace the players that quit. I see and answer new player questions on Reddit all the time.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    People (trolls mostly) will toss out, "This game is dead." or "This game is dying." in chat often. I have discussed the decline of game population before and stated that this game loses population as a constant. But that doesn't mean it is dying, I don't get worked up for their misconception. Sure once in a great while there are massive changes, like module 6 and 16, that saw a loss of about 40% of the player base.

To explain how this works for all online games;

A man is on a train 100 miles from home. The train travels 50% of the remainder of the trip and stops for 1 second and the resumes at 100 mph instantly each time. How long does it take to complete the entire journey? Answer: Forever. If you keep chopping the distance in half, the man never arrives at the end.

Game population is the same. The game (any game) comes out new and hits the ceiling in the first few months. That population never returns. After that point, it is all downhill. The people come and go and there is swells and ebbs but it slowly trickles away until you have a loyalist fan base remaining. As for Cryptic games, Champions has the fewest but this is where Cryptic started. Seldom does Star Trek Online see numbers higher than Neverwinter, but they do get a swell here and there with new content or when a new show appears on CBS. The last time their numbers rose above Neverwinter was January when they held the 10th anniversary and Picard was announced to be airing on CBS in March. New media punches up the numbers, but the decline always continues.

Champions is still here, so is Star Trek, and Neverwinter will be too. PWE tends to announce closing games well in advance. PWE has other sources of revenue and the only reason for them to shutdown the game would be for profit and loss. Another reason for all of the games to fold up would be PWE selling Cryptic off, unless someone has 50 million dollars in their back pocket, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Even if another company bought them out, it would be to make a profit, I would expect the games would change but not go away.

Should PWE ever sell Cryptic Studios to any other gaming publisher, let's just hope it is not Konami. :lol:
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited September 2020

To explain how this works for all online games;

A man is on a train 100 miles from home. The train travels 50% of the remainder of the trip and stops for 1 second and the resumes at 100 mph instantly each time. How long does it take to complete the entire journey? Answer: Forever. If you keep chopping the distance in half, the man never arrives at the end.

Besides in reality, technically, it will arrive. When the half distance reaches meter, cm, mm, ..,, you allow 1 second time gap for any one to jump off safely and in addition, the resuming 100 mph will move like not moving to complete the half distance of (say) 1 cm. So, he will reach the destination in an hour and a bit. Most of the time he will spend is to open the door.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited September 2020

Sure, according to this variation of Zeno's Paradox it will "technically" never get there, but after 1 hour and 14 seconds the train will be so close to "arrived" that most people would say it is at its destination, if they were to eyeball it. Anyone inside the train could jump off and would not notice the difference.

Game population is the same. The game (any game) comes out new and hits the ceiling in the first few months. That population never returns. After that point, it is all downhill. T

This is not true for any game, its true for some games. Some games go for years before they hit their peak, here is an example of one such.

Obviously all games eventually peak, then decline, then die, but not all games peak within the first few months. The peak in this picture is February 2020 and is 132,000.
  • Options
    Yes, I realize this, but the story is just analogy to express that the population can be cut in half multiple times, you still have loyalists. I guess, at this point many of us are loyalists to this game or we just would not be here discussing it.

Now if you excuse me, I am off to watch the Perfect World blockbuster movie Shadow 2018 on NetFlix. :wink:

Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Should PWE ever sell Cryptic Studios to any other gaming publisher, let's just hope it is not Konami. :lol:

I think Daybreak would be more likely, though I hope that doesn't happen either, given what happened with Landmark and EQNext.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    Bioware would give us the Neverwinter we deserve.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    I won't deny that the game population is in decline and that there were certain mods ending in 6 that helped that decline even further. However, what we see happening on the dev side, at least with plans is partly in response to that decline, and also an effort to refresh the game.

"Dying game" is surely not a proper word to describe the state of NW but "abandoned in terms of quality and community relations" surely is more than appropriate. Most of opinions that game is dying are based on quality of latest releases, starting Mod 16 the quality is constantly worse, QoL improvements non-existent and players often left without any acknowledgements on bugs they report, often bugs that act against game mechanics. No one from long time players wishes the game to die but something should be done to greatly improve how the game is seen by many. Not please everyone because that is impossible but improve so many things players point out. Will that happen? I doubt. Will it cause "death of NW"? Surely not. This is product. It will be used as long as it gives profit and there are many tricks to make profit.
    Roadmap... well, we'll see. I wouldn't get my hopes high, prefer to have pleasant surprise.

"they are wanting our feedback on what the players would want to see in the game going forward" - I must strongly disagree with this statement. They may act like they want feedback but having experienced lack of reaction to constructive feedback from preview in any given time, I have no idea what that means for developers. Like ok, I can test new mod, write "all is so awesome, great, spectacular!" despite obvious bugs because apparently that is what they want but this will not make any difference except for being able to say "you provided feedback, you liked everything, here you go, we go live!" thing. I recently read Reddit thread about hunts where @asterdahl answered. It is curious that any critique was constantly ignored, no questions answered but the moment someone wrote how cool Avernus hunts are (they are not imo), there was long reply how awesome this player is to praise the hunts. I understand there is this fear of being criticized in every human being, it's natural but being scared of facing those that criticize is not a thing for someone creating product used by public. Creating circle of flatterers and reacting only to their feedback is going nowhere in terms of real improvements.

I would argue that the general quality and state of communications of modules after M16 has actually gone up. Each modules has seen less and less additional bugs. Sure there have been some bugs on release, but nowhere near how many we were getting with M16 and before. M19 was actually fairly clean as far as bugs go with no major bugs even with a healer rework. (Blood war mechanics is more of an overcorrection from the Bel insurgency changes and not an actual bug). Yes there are still a lot of bugs in the game, but they have been catching up slowly with the backlog.

As far as communications go, we have been seeing an uptick of communications and we even have a long term roadmap where before we would be lucky to know what is more than a month or two ahead of schedule. Unless there is a new thread on reddit that I am unaware of, I reread the AMA thread and did not see what you were describing, he answered most of the questions put forth and didn't have a long answer over how good hunts were. Do you have a link?
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

Or EA. Their most successful endeavor is butchering recently acquired gaming studios and their IP, and then disposing of their sad empty carcasses.

Bioware would give us the Neverwinter we deserve.

Bioware hasn't been the same since EA bought them out and the founders left the company (see Anthem). I can't believe I'm saying this - but thank goodness Cryptic is carrying the Neverwinter torch right now. I have to believe that's preferable to whatever garbage EA would have foisted off on us.

• Options
    It is truly awesome how many bad game publishers we can name these days. :lol:

btw the movie was amazing, I loved the under lying plot about the princess.

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    This game always has new players.

It's not going anywhere for many years.
  • Options

arazith07 said:

Do you have a link?

Yep https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/ijvqzf/avernus_hunts_a_disappointment/

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate every minute devs spend on reading our feedback and I do hope they at least notice where they failed for community but something is definitely not working in terms of pairing these two: what THEY want the game to be and what USERS of the game wish to see done with the game. There is no possibility of course to make it perfect, like players want pink unicorns as mounts with mount power firing rainbow from their butt (I do! ^^) and next week patch - we've got unicorns. I get it, we are players, not developers but because we obviously play more their game than they do, we naturally see more of its flaws. Re. Reddit example - answering only sweet comments is a sign of being insecure, the same goes for Twitch streams questions where questions about crucial game changes are ignored while there are couple of minutes giggling over some silly things. I know, it's a game, it's a fun thing (at least it's supposed to be ^^), it's not even real since it's digital BUT even then first things go first - first you pay attention to quality of what you do and listen to users of your product, communicate properly, then you can giggle about anything else. Money is involved then it's also business apart from game.

I don't think the game is dying and I do hope it will last for long years so I can enjoy it. But I think without major changes in studio itself, we will receive mod after mod hot mess of bugs and disappointing things that then will be patched for months to follow. Or never fixed when they appear to be "old code we cannot do anything about".

We also have to understand that developers just don't have the time to answer every single question. But even in your example of only answering the "sweet comments", Asterdahl spent more time addressing their concerns than in acknowledging the praise.

I feel as though the developers have been more engaged. Sure they don't pander to everyone's wish and don't answer every single question directly, but their answer do tend to cover multiple questions at once. Even when the Redeemed Citadel first came out...most of the information was in that blog, but people didn't read it all the way through or only skimmed it and jumped to conclusions. When they put out the forum post to answer some FAQs and clear up some confusion, aside from the dates there wasn't anything that wasn't already stated before.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User

As a side note, whoever is responsible for this fast, dynamic combat mechanics in NW, give them a raise. Double raise. Triple, whatever, make them rich because they deserve it :wink:

That assumes they're still with the company. Mod 6 saw some house cleaning, as I recall.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    greywynd said:

As a side note, whoever is responsible for this fast, dynamic combat mechanics in NW, give them a raise. Double raise. Triple, whatever, make them rich because they deserve it :wink:

That assumes they're still with the company. Mod 6 saw some house cleaning, as I recall.
    Yes. The person chiefly responsible for the module 6 fiasco was Scott Shicoff. He is not employed by Cryptic Studios. I am not saying he was "let go" or "terminated" but the last I know he was off messing up World of Warcraft for Blizzard. His position was filled by Thomas Foss who holds it to this day as far as I know. However Thomas Foss was already original crew with Cryptic Studios.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    The game may not be dying but I am not sure the company isn’t. According to D&B (reliable source) Cryptic employees around 100 people, total, across all games, and had an income of almost 15 million in sales last year.

Keep in mind they are located in one of the most expensive areas on the planet. So, even if we said all employees were making the same amount of money that would be 150K each. But we all know anyone with a C in front of their title is making multiples of that. That leaves a small pool for everyone else including the tech talent who make well over six figures in the SF Bay Area.

And all of the above does not take into account overhead costs, cuts to the parent companies and other expenses. They have to be in the red. There is no way around that.

Flash forward to the current financial year during COVID and massive unemployment and I highly doubt they will match last years numbers. I honestly can’t see them staying afloat much longer. Either they will be sold (most likely IMO), declare bankruptcy or go under altogether.

IMO, this is something we all should be preparing ourselves for.
  • Options

The game may not be dying but I am not sure the company isn’t. According to D&B (reliable source) Cryptic employees around 100 people, total, across all games, and had an income of almost 15 million in sales last year.

Keep in mind they are located in one of the most expensive areas on the planet. So, even if we said all employees were making the same amount of money that would be 150K each. But we all know anyone with a C in front of their title is making multiples of that. That leaves a small pool for everyone else including the tech talent who make well over six figures in the SF Bay Area.

And all of the above does not take into account overhead costs, cuts to the parent companies and other expenses. They have to be in the red. There is no way around that.

Flash forward to the current financial year during COVID and massive unemployment and I highly doubt they will match last years numbers. I honestly can’t see them staying afloat much longer. Either they will be sold (most likely IMO), declare bankruptcy or go under altogether.

1. I doubt they are in red.
    2. I doubt they have 100 developers and no other type of staff.
    3. I doubt their average salary is 150K.
    4. I doubt they burn money year after year.
    5. If they are losing money year after year, I doubt they still develop new game, hired a new head instead of laying off and start packing.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Maybe the game needs a new angle...

Each time we log in we parachute off of a dragon and paraglide somewhere on to the map, or how about "1st person shooter mode"?

I think the game is what it is and that is what it should be. Just improve on what we have efficiently and it will market itself for a long run with ups and downs as it sails into the sunset. This game has at the very least 10 years left in it... unless it is gets purposely replaced. The only thing that can kill it would be a reset. It would only live another 5 years IMO after a reset, and would not make 'more' profit that it does without one.

Truth is.. there are a lot of players out in the world looking for Neverwinter. You would think anyone interested already knows about it but NOT true. Lots of old D&D players are playing random games out there and have not tried this one. Also.. lots of new generation players are tired of the same old thing and want a game like this that is a little retro and has lasting power.
  • Options

Each time we log in we parachute off of a dragon and paraglide somewhere on to the map, or how about "1st person shooter mode"?

Jumanji
  • Options

5. If they are losing money year after year, I doubt they still develop new game, hired a new head instead of laying off and start packing.
    1. You are entitled to you opinion. I think you're wrong.
    2. I never said that, I just said they had 100 employees
    3. I never said that either, I just divided the yearly income by number of employees to show how little it is overall
    4. I never said that. In fact I said upper management makes multiples of that and some of the devs make more than that. That does not mean there are people who make less.
    5. I can tell you as someone who worked at the C-Level most of my career, upper management keeps certain details close to the vest until it's time to execute them, until then it's business as usual. Also, upper management Cryptic may be doing business as usual but they have no say if the company is sold, goes under or declares bankruptcy. That will be made by their corporate board or even the parent company with no interaction with Cryptic's management at all.
  • Options

3. I never said that either, I just divided the yearly income by number of employees to show how little it is overall
    4. I never said that. In fact I said upper management makes multiples of that and some of the devs make more than that. That does not mean there are people who make less.
    5. I can tell you as someone who worked at the C-Level most of my career, upper management keeps certain details close to the vest until it's time to execute them, until then it's business as usual. Also, upper management Cryptic may be doing business as usual but they have no say if the company is sold, goes under or declares bankruptcy. That will be made by their corporate board or even the parent company with no interaction with Cryptic's management at all.
    Why would they invest more into the game if they thought it was dying soon? Why would they hire new talent, even one as well received in multiple games as Chris Whiteside? Why are they making a brand new game if they are as in the red as you think they are?
  • Options
    arazith07 said:

Why would they invest more into the game if they thought it was dying soon? Why would they hire new talent, even one as well received in multiple games as Chris Whiteside? Why are they making a brand new game if they are as in the red as you think they are?
    There is no way to know actual data on this subsidiary, other than what is posted by other financial groups. The data in some cases is not backed by legitimate investigations. For example; the Wikipedia states "Cryptic Studios now employs more than 100 full-time employees." but uses a gamer blog as the reference material. Meanwhile Bloomberg has little information on them other than address and phone number. The assumption they operate in the "red or black" is a misconception since this is a subsidiary of the Perfect World group.

Whenever they tell us, the resources are not available or the budget will not allow it, this is reference to the monies granted to them from Perfect World to continue operating expenses. This system protects the assets of various properties from each others liabilities. If PWE was the Dad in the family, he gives all the children their monthly allowance, pats them on the back and tells them to make the most of it.

Perfect World has a division to make films, most are Chinese TV, some feature films, but did you know they had a hand in making the Robert Downy Jr. flop "Dolittle"? Universal Studios got the credit for the disaster but PW lost money too. The film lost the investors $100 million. One of them was Perfect World Pictures. Meanwhile Dad doesn't mind, as long as the family as a whole, is making profit to cover loss by others. This is why I stated above, it would take PWE either announcing the shutdown or sale of Cryptic Studios for the game to die or even change.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2020

greywynd said:

Yes. The person chiefly responsible for the module 6 fiasco was Scott Shicoff. He is not employed by Cryptic Studios. I am not saying he was "let go" or "terminated" but the last I know he was off messing up World of Warcraft for Blizzard. His position was filled by Thomas Foss who holds it to this day as far as I know. However Thomas Foss was already original crew with Cryptic Studios.
    I don't think it was announced, but Thomas Foss is no longer on the Neverwinter team. He moved over to Magic: Legends. I don't know who's replaced him, or if he's only on Magic temporarily, but yeah. Don't know why they didn't announce it publicly.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    Surprisingly enough, Nevewinter came in the top 10 ( at position 10) for being the most played MMO in this article https://bestreamer.com/gaming/most-played-mmorpg-2019/

TOP 5 were WOW, FFXIV, ESO, GW2 and Runescape. The latter 2 actually have had rumours that they are dying for years too and their population is 5-8x that of NWO.

My personal view is that updates are very slow, something the GW2 community is concerned of too and class balance is a mess. There is a glaring difference between meta and non-meta. I went ahead and tried ESO, FFXIV and GW2 and none have combat as fluid as NWO. So i would have to say that combat is the defining feature of this game at least for me. I have recently been fantasizing that the dev's have introduced an option to have 4 encounters. I proceed to figure out the next meta class but it was too difficult due to the sheer number of builds available for each class now. That is what i call fun.
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    greywynd said:

People have been crying the game is dying since I started playing 6 years ago.

Why players come play mmorpg game? They play cuz they want to have fun and do content with fiends, maybe met new friends, do with random players.
    Even MMO itself stands for massively multiplayer online.

Then claims that Neverinter is dead game is not correct claim.

As game itself, Neverinter is just fine.
    But when comes it's MMO part, well to be fair, it's hard even call this game mmo in first place.
    Largest contents in game are Trials, there are Stronghold sieges, but who's doing them ? Even Dragon Flight or Marauder in SH, they are way outdated, and also it's so uninateresting that to get more than 10 players is very hard.

Now for most mmorpg games, 10 players group content considered as bottom line. And this is why players call Neverwinter as dead game, it's cuz game become too much solo play, which goes against very foundation of what MMO is in first place.

Who want to play solo MMO if you can simply play offline RPG game?

Players come play mmo to have multiple players content. And this part is where neverwinter have greatest weakness. Not, class, not loot/drop/rewards, but very mmo elements.

There is no trading between players, no crafting and selling, no grinding together. Game become solo play, thats why players claim this game dead.

========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================