test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Avernus hunts are RNg on top of RNG ( why do we keep getting this tired mechanic ) AGAIN

2»

Comments

• benyrbenyr Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    There is a significant difference between the Chult hunts and the new Avernus hunts, in that when they were released the Chult hunts were worth doing despite the fact they were a pain. The Chult hunts dropped items like the fured kiuno of the bear which was BIZ for DPS, or one of the scales needed to complete the chain of scales which again was BIZ for the utility belt.

The Avernus hunts drop trash equipment, they're not currently dropping T2 lures (and we don't yet know if they will be worthwhile or a gateway to more trash), and an ingredient to restore weapons that you cant yet restore to blue until the 2nd mod is released and so on.

My advise is to not worry about the hunts, they're not currently worth doing. Why put yourself through the RNG pain? There is nothing currently dropping that gives them even a flicker of significance. Stop wasting your time staking hunts out, if you find a mark in your normal play great, but otherwise just get on with whatever you'd normally do and stop worrying that you can't find a mob that gives you nothing but junk anyway.
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

It was pretty clear from the start that it was going to be a chult hunt 2.0, this time though we have one less layer of rng in that we don't have to commit mass genocide to get the marks to spawn.

As pointed out by Asterdahl in the AMA this is wrong. We still have to kill normal monsters to spawn the hunt targets.
  • boggo49boggo49 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Still doesn't help.I spent 3 hrs trying to farm flaming hezrous yesterday. Killed enough normal mobs to make garyx spawn 5 times but only got 2 hezrous in all that time, neither of which dropped a trophy. I was the only one there in the scrag, so no one else was killing them.
  • rarraazrarraaz Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Honestly this entire game is RNG. Getting the companion from Bel boxes, after 720 boxes still NOTHING. Ring drops from gary/Morg, map rewards, hunts, simply everything in this game is RNG. Are the developers so damn lazy they cant come up with a cap? They cant put more than 30 seconds into making a new system other than RNG. I always told people there is a reason why this game is free, no one would pay for this amount of RNG. I am waiting for after the next patch you will need an RNG check to travel between zones. Wanted to go to ice wind dale?!!? RNG!!! Welcome to Chult!! Please try to port again!!!!!!!
  • fademist#5406 fademist Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    rarraaz said:

Honestly this entire game is RNG. Getting the companion from Bel boxes, after 720 boxes still NOTHING. Ring drops from gary/Morg, map rewards, hunts, simply everything in this game is RNG. Are the developers so damn lazy they cant come up with a cap? They cant put more than 30 seconds into making a new system other than RNG. I always told people there is a reason why this game is free, no one would pay for this amount of RNG. I am waiting for after the next patch you will need an RNG check to travel between zones. Wanted to go to ice wind dale?!!? RNG!!! Welcome to Chult!! Please try to port again!!!!!!!

and what game isnt RNG???
    > @"fademist#5406" said:
    > (Quote)
    > and what game isnt RNG???

This much RNG?! Every game. ESO isnt no where even close to this bad. Hell, EverQuest 1 was probably the worst grind ever, still wasnt half as bad.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Ever look at the loot tables in any edition of D&D?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    > @greywynd said:
    > Ever look at the loot tables in any edition of D&D?

Lets not bring D&D into this. The only thing D&D here is the name.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    If there was no RNG at all... if the drops & rewards were automatic and instant,

What would you do with your time?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User

If there was no RNG at all... if the drops & rewards were automatic and instant,

It is RNG or grind or both.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kierlakxkierlakx Member Posts: 117 Arc User

There's a galaxy of degrees between the current 'entirely too much RNG with entirely too low drop rates' and 'it shows up in your mailbox when you log in'. Stop pretending there isn't.

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    kierlakx said:

There's a galaxy of degrees between the current 'entirely too much RNG with entirely too low drop rates' and 'it shows up in your mailbox when you log in'. Stop pretending there isn't.

Too much RNG? I really wish people would stop and think about how that sounds. Many of you are just tossing the terms out there without any thought what-so-ever. RNG is short for random number generator, when we play D&D at the table, we use dice. Could the game at the table be played without dice? I guess it could, but it would be pure dialog and based solely on your actions or inaction. Combat sure would be interesting... just because I choose to attack something I auto defeat it? How would I know if I failed to see something?

I admit I have run across some real ridiculous stuff in this game. At least it seem ridiculous at the time you are playing. I was ask by a guild member to assist him in obtaining an Eotyrannus Talon in Soshenstar River. To get this item, we had to kill several groups of Deinonychus first just to get the Eotyrannus to spawn. Then we had to hope the talon would drop. All this so my friend could obtain a "Bottled Terror". But according to my friend, it didn't end there. He needed to fight Spli-ti and Fang of Dendar just to get to Thazar-De then hope he would drop his gear that my friend wanted. All those stacked fights and obtaining lures for some Thayan robes... I am actually ok with this.

Why? Because this makes them a truly unique item and not just another item mislabeled as rare or unique. I often felt these games don't take the time to think about a boss weapon as being one of a kind. In Guild Wars everyone went after Dhuum's Scythe (the grim reaper and former God of death) but in the end there was always ten or twenty players with it equipped or selling it. This kind of sucks when you think about it. Again you had to travel to the Underworld, fight Dhuum in the Hall of Judgement and hope he would drop his personal weapon that apparently is mass produced in Taiwan.

My stance on this subject is; unique weapons and gear should be layered in random drops and be very super hard to obtain or they are just not worth the trip. However everyday items players need to complete the campaign should not nearly as difficult. It would be real cool if there was one and only the one item per boss. When you obtained it, you would have the only one in the game, just as in the real world. The added mechanic would be that you and your party would often be attacked by their minions and should you die it returns to the boss. Also the more days your character remains offline the chance increases that a minion stole it while you were snoozing. But I have been informed that is asking too much from a video game version of D&D.

Have fun! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    IDEA... to improve fun and drops:

* Opening a treasure chest now has a 5% chance to summon Orcus. Orcus lasts for 5 minutes.
    * Any players who participate in defeating Orcus gain 50 Zariel's Favor and one uncounted Canian Iron Bar.
    * Upon defeat of Orcus, the player who opened the chest is awarded with a random trophy.

• grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    rarraaz said:

> @greywynd said:

Should we drop everything that is D&D from this game?
    • The Neverwnter campaign
    • All the 5e D&D Campaigns
    • The 5e Character Classes
    • The Character Attributes
    • D&D Feats and Boons
    • D&D Companions
    • D&D Monsters
    • D&D Mounts
    • etc.
    • etc.
    • etc.
    We'd probably be left with PvP alone.
  • kierlakxkierlakx Member Posts: 117 Arc User

rarraaz said:

> @greywynd said:

Should we drop everything that is D&D from this game?
    • The Neverwnter campaign
    • All the 5e D&D Campaigns
    • The 5e Character Classes
    • The Character Attributes
    • D&D Feats and Boons
    • D&D Companions
    • D&D Monsters
    • D&D Mounts
    • etc.
    • etc.
    • etc.
    We'd probably be left with PvP alone.
    None of those things are remotely close to actual D&D other than in name only. The mechanics behind them are so far removed from D&D that if you changed the names and showed it to some random person, they would have zero clue it had anything to do with D&D.
    You're assuming some random person would know about D&D. "Oh, isn't that like a cult or something?"
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    greywynd said:

You're assuming some random person would know about D&D. "Oh, isn't that like a cult or something?"

LOL do you remember back in the 80's they thought we were occultist? The TV media and church groups did so much work of defamation to anyone who spoke in favor of Dungeons & Dragons. I still cringe a bit about the 1982 Mazes & Monsters that was the Reefer Madness movie of Dungeons & Dragons. Back in the early 80's, my husband was told by a member of his church that when a mother burned her son's miniatures they screamed. He went on to say, this is the same member who believed Walt Disney is the Anti-Christ. Wow! Makes me wonder where those people are today almost 40 years later? Ah the memories!
    wb-cenders.gif
    I was there. Started playing in 78-9.

greywynd said:

LOL do you remember back in the 80's they thought we were occultist? The TV media and church groups did so much work of defamation to anyone who spoke in favor of Dungeons & Dragons. I still cringe a bit about the 1982 Mazes & Monsters that was the Reefer Madness movie of Dungeons & Dragons. Back in the early 80's, my husband was told by a member of his church that when a mother burned her son's miniatures they screamed. He went on to say, this is the same member who believed Walt Disney is the Anti-Christ. Wow! Makes me wonder where those people are today almost 40 years later? Ah the memories!
    This guy is making me feel oldddddddddd =( BAN HIM PLEASE!!!!
  • rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    pelgrax said:

So for the new hunts in avernus you need to get a trophy from an infected mane ( took me 11 attempts to get one ) , next it says to get another trophy ( so RNG again ) before I can then get a lure ( likely more RNG in getting it to appear and then likely RNG in possibly some drop ) to satisfy the quest .
    Does it then repeat again ? It may take me hours to find out between the RNG and the other players doing the same .
    We shall see .........

You obviously don't remember chult in the begining, on top of the low chances you still had people camping spawns on every single instance to steaal the kills, the only thing that is worse now is the drop rate on gear, the lure drops are about the same as it was on chult upon release
  • escapados2escapados2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    It looks like after latest patch drop rate is even worse then before.
  • pelgraxpelgrax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 479 Arc User
    After the patch the scouts of stygia were spawning massively for me . In just under an hour about 30 to 40 spawned and I got about 12 trophies . Don't know about other hunt trophies if they were spawning / dropping as much .
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Scouts of Stygia are spawning way, way more than they used to. I think there was a change - proviously you needed to kill the hellhound demons at the other end of the map for them to spawn. That was somewhat unfair, as it basically made them solo-unfriiendly (see my earlier complaint). Now it is as if killing X nearby devils will cause the scouts to spawn. So, they went from being a bottleneck fo being excessively common. Better than it used to be.
    Hoping for improvements...