test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The character stops moving

lordjox#6864 lordjox Member Posts: 11 Arc User
Hello
I have a problem, I play Neverwinter with a wizard, for some time I noticed that when I use the teleport (Shift), my character stops moving, does not respond to the keys, only the teleport works and I can cast spells. To survive, I have to go to the character selection screen and return to her.
The problem appears very often and is so bothersome that it prevents me from playing.
Please help

Comments

• bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    I can't say for certain, but it sounds very similar to something that happened last night to a couple alliance members on a trial run. After performing an action (one appeared to continue using his at-will at nothing uninterrupted and the other running headlong into a wall). Both reported that they could not exercise control of the character during this time, and did have to relog to get them to work.
    Impossible to say if it is the same issue, seems similar, so it would be a good idea for some investigation by the devs into the Sprint(teleport) and at-will mechanics, because something seems off.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Hi @lordjox#6864! Does this occur in every location or only when running certain content?
  • lordjox#6864 lordjox Member Posts: 11 Arc User

Hi @lordjox#6864! Does this occur in every location or only when running certain content?

In the Avernus zone the problem occurs very often, it started to appear when Undermountain was introduced, in other zones it is rare but occurs.

• nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    The Wizard class seem to be experiencing a lot of "movement" issues of late, like Ray of Frost casting, stuck in combat and that annoying screen effect after you interact with a door/portal in dungeon. I have not experienced what you have on my CW in Avernus. Other class I play have no issues at all but sometime my CW casting power seem very off and not properly responding to command.
  • lerris#7585 lerris Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hi,I have the same problem.It usually occurs when I am casting a lot of spells real fast in a big battle.I can only fix problem by logging out and logging back in.I can not predict when this happens but happens often in pitched hard battles.
  • aelinazaelinaz Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I have two CW, this occurs at least once per day. I go to character page and back and they can move again. I have spoken with many CW they all have experienced this.
  • mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    i've been having this problem since mod16 first came out. It mostly happens in MEs and Insurrections, but has also happened in old and new dungeons and trials.
    It was happening a lot doing MEs at first and i asked around if any other wizards were having that issue. One wizard suggested it could be related to using teleport at the same time some control effect controls us. So I cut down using teleport as much as I was and it seemed to help. The last time it happened was last week doing a bhe in the docks.
  • serpeer#6400 serpeer Member Posts: 49 Arc User

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1229980/cw-gets-frozen-in-animation-cant-move

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1247639/mof-cw-stuck-master-expedition-and-relog-issue

Very old bug, since 2017 or maybe more. NEVER FIXED.
    As you can see @nitocris83 , you also know we had this bug for a long time, we hope THIS TIME we answer and resolve the problem.
    Thank you

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1229980/cw-gets-frozen-in-animation-cant-move

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1247639/mof-cw-stuck-master-expedition-and-relog-issue

Very old bug, since 2017 or maybe more. NEVER FIXED.
    As you can see @nitocris83 , you also know we had this bug for a long time, we hope THIS TIME we answer and resolve the problem.
    Thank you
    So we will wait another 3 years, and there will be no repairs and answers.
    Great service.
  • serpeer#6400 serpeer Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I don't know how many time we will have to wait. It's not a priority but seems they don't care at all.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    I don't know if this is related. My Cleric stopped moving (may be 10 minutes ago) after casting and the enemy was killed before that. May be there is a timing issue between the kill and the cast. Anyway, the character cannot move at all. To make it move, I brought up a VIP sigpost. No, I did not go somewhere else. I just brought up the sigpost and it could start to move again and continue.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for the additional updates, they will be added to the original report on this issue to help with investigation.
  • menolly4623#9881 menolly4623 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I've been having (what appears to be) the same issue. Loss of movement (can't use A,S,D,W keys to move character, but SHIFT will still teleport, and I can still cast all my spells, but I can't mount) which seems to happen most frequently in random queues.
    I had it happen quite often yesterday though, while questing in Vallenhas and the Wastes.
    I tend to over-press keys to proc spells and teleports, and it seems to happen when I'm spamming key presses.
    I have a really slow internet connection at my home, and I wonder if it's potentially a latency-related issue.

From what I recall, it happened to me yesterday in the following places:
    • Random Dungeon Queue
    1 time during a dungeon, just killing mobs luckily
    • Avernus Vallenhas Zone
    2 times during the heroic Ape fight.
    1 time during a minor heroic fight.
    1 time doing the clearing the tavern quest.
    1 time during the quest where you have to kill a boss in a cave and then activate some machine.
    1 time just killing mobs.
    • Avernus Wastes
    1 time doing weekly memory fight quest (don't recall quest name).

I've done the above before without having issues, so I I'm guessing there isn't a very specific trigger.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    I've had my character (Cleric) recently stop and not move also, has happened a couple of times and it used to happen with my old CW as well. The fix which works for me is to use shift and dash and it rectifies, but it's scary in the middle of a battle when you hit 'W' and nothing happens and you're stuck rooted to the spot unexpectedly.

Could this be connected to the other issue with the 'W' key where when you hit it, it sometimes sets off your at-wills for no reason and starts combat with enemies that you didn't want? This issue has been around for a VERY long time. Now we have two issues with the 'W' command which cause unexpected and unwanted (also totally unrelated to what's supposed to happen when you hit 'W') occurrences, there could be a connection between them.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
    Hopefully we won't have to wait another 3 years for this bug to be fixed...
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    What I can add here is this. I notice this happen after charm effects in most cases. Tong, TiC, Avernus, Etc. Wizards seem most prone to it, they can only shift to move when this kicks in. My Warlock has experienced it but he can still move however he gets pulled back to the same spot after he does. It's like he moves a few steps up a hole, then slides back in. This happens a lot in Tong when you are in the coffin room matching the symbol on the floor to the one above the coffins. The only way to fix it for me has been to relog or use the stuck command.
  • deuteros#3833 deuteros Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Not limited to character type, I have a ranger and it has happened to me during insurgence, ape, lately in BEL where I got kicked from group as I froze when fire started erupting, very frustrating. I captured a screenshot of my character as it has the same animation tied to it everytime it happens. Only solution was to change character screen and back in on character
  • ziggerlinziggerlin Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Until this morning I had almost no issues. But right after the latest patch, I am freezing a lot, and occasionally crashing after a freeze.
  • mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    i've been having this issue randomly since mod 16 was released. I was talking to another wizard about it and we thought it could have something to do with the timing of being controlled while teleporting. If we're marked to be controlled before we teleport and the control effect happens before we come out of a teleport, we'll get stuck. I stopped relying so much on teleport, especially in places where there's a lot of enemies with control powers...it helped. It's been a few weeks since it's happened.
This discussion has been closed.