test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warning this topic might shock you...

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
I reported a mail bug on the 16th. No one can send more than 33 characters, @plasticbat figured it out. :cookie: If you send an item and type up any lengthy sentence about why or how the item(s) should be put to use, the message and items will not be sent. On the 20th Julia replied, "I'll pass this along. Thanks!" then the mail worked the night of the late maintenance. Then it broke again. For over a week and no written mail can be sent more than 33 letters long.

Shock and Theory
I told some people the mail is broken in chat and they didn't believe me. They refuted it! They wouldn't believe me as I told them. So this is my theory; if no one but a scant few players notices, will having a mail system matter to players at all? Should we just tell the database admins to go ahead and pull the plug on the current mail system? If none or few use more than 33 characters in mail at a time, maybe the system is just too big and should be scaled back. If you don't sit up and take notice, maybe you can do more with less. Maybe you will get on in the future and find only 3 slots to send those items. Maybe you will want to buy more shared bank slots, I know many of us store temporary items in mail. Something for all of you to ponder. Mail bug or testing the water?

wb-cenders.gif

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    My burning question is: does the item returned or AD from AH work? Both expired and sold. Those mails have more than 33 characters. It probably does. Otherwise, people would be screaming by now.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    That works fine yes :D
    - bye bye -
  • Options

My burning question is: does the item returned or AD from AH work? Both expired and sold. Those mails have more than 33 characters. It probably does. Otherwise, people would be screaming by now.

I did get returns from items in the AH. I almost always have something to sell. But the odd thing is the guild mail works just fine... last I checked. Guild leaders would notice that right away. To expand on what was said in game to me the other day without naming and shaming;

ME: I see the mail is broken again. :(
    Player A: When did it break?
    ME: It has been broken for over a week, I noticed it the 16th and it only worked for 1 day and broke again.
    Player B: No it works, just sent myself something.
    ME: No send a letter with more content.
    Player A: It is working, just you.
    (mail icon lights up)
    Player B sent mail with small item and "?" in the body.

ME: I am not talking about the items, you cannot send more than 33 characters in the body.
    (mail icon lights up)
    Player B sends mail with message, "no works fine just you"

As you can see, at this point, I ponder if we will end up with tiny mail blurbs like XB1 and PS4 players use?? That would be horrible!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    My simple test is to send myself a mail with more than 33 characters. Everyone can self check with that. If anyone can do that successfully, please post here. It fails for me.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    Will do later - @greenwirez#3409
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I have 45 characters!?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I have 45 characters!?

I send myself with this string "123456789012345678901234567890123", works (as I receive this email).
    "1234567890123456789012345678901234", fails (as I don't receive this email).
    "123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345", fails (as I don't receive this email).
    When it fails, there is no error message.

Do all these work for you?
  • Options
    I had 55 BtA items stuffed in my mail, today a player suggested it might be that. I took all the items out, empty mail box and no change here.

0123456789012345678901234567891234, will not send

012345678901234567890123456789123, send and receive.

This first came to my attention when I was assisting new players with both information and items. I thought they were getting the information and I was just having to resend the items. Now I realize, they got items and none of the information. That was about the 14th or about that time. Later on the 20th, when I was sending information strings (notes) to myself about my 8 characters "To Do List", was when I thought the mail was censoring my messages.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I tried sending a friend some marks or something in the mail the other day and it wouldn't send. Items just stayed in my inventory. Funny thing about mine was the body of the mail was blank. I did write a subject though. This happened 3 times before it finally sent. Not sure what was different in the final mail that went though!
  • Options
    hrakhhrakh Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    Its unfortunate that no amount of being right or righteous can ever compensate for perpetuating the clickbait principle. Else I might have actually read what you are on about..
  • Options
    hrakh said:

Its unfortunate that no amount of being right or righteous can ever compensate for perpetuating the clickbait principle. Else I might have actually read what you are on about..

Ok maybe my title is a bit extreme, but this was just captured (names changed) from chat in Chult;

Llorna Zorg: I just arrived no CV or KoS on #2 yet.
    Player#1: still none on 1
    Player#2: still nothing on 2
    Llorna Zorg: thanks, I will just get my 100 kills finished while we wait.
    Llorna Zorg: Is everyone aware the mail has been broken for 2 weeks now?
    Player#3: why is mail broken? working perfectly fine for me
    Player#4: Yes tell us more about the mail
    Llorna Zorg: Try sending yourself any message larger than 33 characters long.
    Player#3: erm, why would you want to send yourself a long HAMSTER letter via email?
    Llorna Zorg: Basically they will get rid of the mail system since you don't use it, you won't miss it?
    Player#5: +Bhe
    Player#1: still no BHE on 1
    Llorna Zorg: #2 is clear also
    Player#3: uhh what? That makes no sense
    Llorna Zorg: Sure it does, you use it as a bank, they SELL bank slots you know.
    Player#3: If the mail was truly broken, I'd think more people would notice.
    Player#5: +Bhe
    Llorna Zorg: Mail has been broken for 2 weeks READ the forums
    Player#3: I don't need to read that it's broken, it's working perfectly fine for me.
    Llorna Zorg: I took all my "stuff" I had stored in mail just in case.

This attitude is why things get nerfed and no one cares to take notice until the hammer falls.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    1. Why a random person in Chult will care about that broken char limit in the mail system? People send mainly items.

2. I don't see you post about the lack of rewards in Zariel with such click baits.. Or class balance, or that people couldn't leave or join alliances up until last patch. Where are the angry posts about the game logs not escaping quote marks correctly? Where are the angry posts about those powers that have new line char in their name and break the log? What about MotD not working in custom channels since the start, 7 years? And so is the mute option in very large channels.

"This attitude is why things get nerfed and no one cares to take notice until the hammer falls. "

This is hypocrisy, why because you care about something everyone else should, while when it's the other way, you do as everyone.

Everyone want things they care about to be fixed, nothing will change that, especially not bothering random players in random zones and posting their conversations as an example. especially those with Fallacies in them, in this case "slippery slope".
    https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/logic_in_argumentative_writing/fallacies.html

Slippery Slope: This is a conclusion based on the premise that if A happens, then eventually through a series of small steps, through B, C,..., X, Y, Z will happen, too, basically equating A and Z. So, if we don't want Z to occur, A must not be allowed to occur either. Example:

If we ban Hummers because they are bad for the environment eventually the government will ban all cars, so we should not ban Hummers.

In this example, the author is equating banning Hummers with banning all cars, which is not the same thing.
  • Options
    micky1p00 said:

1. Why a random person in Chult will care about that broken char limit in the mail system? People send mainly items.

It is not "random" players in Chult. There is nothing random about players. I guess I care about these things. When people ask about something in chat, I tell them, "Too much to explain, I will send mail.". After I send them details, they respond in kind. Some of us actually use the mail for more than just a few words.
    micky1p00 said:

2. I don't see you post about the lack of rewards in Zariel with such click baits.. Or class balance, or that people couldn't leave or join alliances up until last patch. Where are the angry posts about the game logs not escaping quote marks correctly? Where are the angry posts about those powers that have new line char in their name and break the log? What about MotD not working in custom channels since the start, 7 years? And so is the mute option in very large channels.

No thanks, I will leave the seething anger and tangent topics up to you, it seems you have some issues to work out. I haven't been playing as often as I use to, so I personally found it shocking that no one has noticed a bug/glitch in the mail system for 2 weeks. If I were the person who stated, they wanted to scale down and reduce the fat in Neverwinter, this could be used as a platform to accomplish their goals. We already know there are very few users who bother to voice their opinions about this game.
    micky1p00 said:

"This attitude is why things get nerfed and no one cares to take notice until the hammer falls. "

This is hypocrisy, why because you care about something everyone else should, while when it's the other way, you do as everyone.

You think this is a mockery? A joke? I am amazed there are so many (not just Chult) who very commonly take a backseat to any changes or alterations to the game, until it is just too late. I suppose, I thought, people used the mail for written letters. I admit I am guilty of using it for temporary storage of BtA items. But I cleared it out, because who knows what will become of such attachments, if it gets worse before it gets fixed? Sure you can lose items in your inventory or banks just as easy, but nothing is guaranteed to be there from one day to the next.
    micky1p00 said:

Everyone want things they care about to be fixed, nothing will change that, especially not bothering random players in random zones and posting their conversations as an example. especially those with Fallacies in them, in this case "slippery slope".
    https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/logic_in_argumentative_writing/fallacies.html

Slippery Slope: This is a conclusion based on the premise that if A happens, then eventually through a series of small steps, through B, C,..., X, Y, Z will happen, too, basically equating A and Z. So, if we don't want Z to occur, A must not be allowed to occur either. Example:

If we ban Hummers because they are bad for the environment eventually the government will ban all cars, so we should not ban Hummers.

In this example, the author is equating banning Hummers with banning all cars, which is not the same thing.
    What I am saying is pretty obvious, if a system is broken for weeks and goes virtually unnoticed; Why bother to fix it? Maybe it is time to replace, reduce, or remove said system? Maybe this is not as much of a bug / glitch, as an exercise in reduction. While cutting back the mail doesn't save a ton of space, it lessens the workload and could mean productive flow elsewhere as one desires.

Yes of course, I want the mail fixed. When I am playing and helping others with detailed instructions, I would like the mail system back on track and usable. Thank you.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    But you take the same backseat about the changes that you don't care about, so why are you so surprised that other take backseat on things that they don't care about and you do care?

While it is a bug without feedback (there is no "mail received") , still If people didn't notice this bug for weeks, shouldn't this tell you that this is not something that as widely used as you assume?
  • Options
    theelusiveone#4954 theelusiveone Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Thank you for bringing this bug to my attention.
    As a guild leader in a guild with 2 leaders we often use mails to communicate stuff to each other, most of the time its not important stuff like "I'm going camping for a week, bla bla bla bla.", but sometimes its more important stuff and this is a real problem if that gets missed because of this HAMSTER bug.

Just tested it myself and can confirm the bug, so I will inform all my guild members about this.
    Kevfire
    Guild Leader
    Neverwinter SOLO Alliance
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    Just because something breaks, doesn't mean they want to "test the waters" and change something about it. If they wanted to see how often the mailing system is being used for item storage verus worded letters, they can just do an internal data collection for that. They would also have to completely rework how to gain auction house items if they just suddenly remove the item trade portion.
  • Options
    arazith07 said:

Just because something breaks, doesn't mean they want to "test the waters" and change something about it. If they wanted to see how often the mailing system is being used for item storage verus worded letters, they can just do an internal data collection for that. They would also have to completely rework how to gain auction house items if they just suddenly remove the item trade portion.

I don't know, I can't read their minds, I am told paranoia might be my issue. Until the mail is working, for more than 1 day, I plan to keep my stuff in Nicholas' big bag. Better safe than sorry. If this glitch in the system causes you to lose items, don't expect them to replace them.

The fact is, more than two weeks ago I sent a player some companion items explaining; These items are found in Stardock the hidden module 17 at the end of Undermountain. I could have sold the 3 items on the AH but I am gifting them to you to help get your companion up to speed. There are epic (purple) versions of these items in the expeditions. I think the letter was a bit more detailed than that, but you get the general idea.

Just that message and the 3 items. It appeared as if the letter sent (no error message) and I left to do my banking. Moments later, I see the items still in inventory. So I send them again with; Looks like I forgot something... I receive back, tyty in chat.

However as you and I can see now, that unknown subject has no idea why I sent those, where to get them, other than I am just a generous person. Lesson completely lost!

Any fool can know. The point is to understand. ~~~ Albert Einstein
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    micky1p00 said:

But you take the same backseat about the changes that you don't care about, so why are you so surprised that other take backseat on things that they don't care about and you do care?

It is not that I don't care. I have to prioritize. I am only one person in a crowd of thousands. I don't understand how my topic has you upset? Are you here to stand on my soap box and out preach me? I care about a lot of things, some unrelated to important communication systems within the game that restricts new people until they are close to level 40. Supposedly this is a "social game"? I can't connect with people off line or whisper them after they took off, telling them critical information. Now we must limit that to only 33 character blurbs.
    micky1p00 said:

While it is a bug without feedback (there is no "mail received") , still If people didn't notice this bug for weeks, shouldn't this tell you that this is not something that as widely used as you assume?

It tells me people either; a. Don't know about it and believe their mail is being received. or b. Use the mail system as a bank only.

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I will be honest, at least for me, I mostly use the mail system to mail items from one character to another, as I can not be bothered to buy more shared bank slots. But I do see that it could affect those that use it for inter-person conversations, so it is something that needs to be fixed.
  • Options

I will be honest, at least for me, I mostly use the mail system to mail items from one character to another, as I can not be bothered to buy more shared bank slots. But I do see that it could affect those that use it for inter-person conversations, so it is something that needs to be fixed.

I completely understand people using the mail box as a bank. I recommend placement of one or more characters in an empty guild and buying unbound bank panes. I have 2 panes each in 4 guilds, that gives me 384 unbound item slots. The only time I started using the mail is when I get a lot of BtC or BtA items. Most of the 55 items I had were BtA armor from Juma Bags. I am now in the process of making sets to keep and what to sell off to the vendor for gold.

The topic about the actual bug/glitch is posted in the bugs section of this forum and Julia has responded to it twice. I was truly shocked by a large amount of players in game are completely in the dark, yet others bury their heads in the sand like the proverbial ostrich. This is the reason for this Feedback thread. I do appreciate the response, but I want to make it clear that I don't get paid a penny every time someone clicks this thread. :lol: The first time I was made aware, of what I had done was @greenwirez#3409 with I smell a trap. I thought that was funny. While he got a chuckle, I guess some don't care for this title. Any forum moderate is more than welcome to change it to something else. Just as long as it follows the topic of my overwhelming dismay of players who refute any facts given to them in chat. I don't believe it should be renamed "Unicorns and Rainbows are Fun, Fun, Happy!" \o/
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Sandukutupu, I thank you for posting this on forums; saw your first thread about this shortly after you posted it. Tested it immediately, and my guild leader alerted the alliance. For new members in our guild we always have a welcome message, everything they need to know, discord, guild forum, who to contact for help and so on. Quite a few players probably never received their welcome message. As for personal usage, I do use it for when needing to contact certain people who are offline that had asked questions previously but do not have their discord.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Whatever issues people have with titles or each other, I cannot send myself a mail with longer text either, and it explains how I didn't get an answer yet from the one friend I have that I need that doesn't use any other means of communication.
    If I didn't try to send myself the same text I would have thought her to be ignoring me :D
    Well... maybe she is. :D Hard to tell!
    - bye bye -