test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter for PS5

Has anyone heard anything official from Cryptic on plans to have Neverwinter ready for PS5? Thanks.
Raven Okami
⚔️ Silver Blades ⚔️
PS4 • Playing Neverwinter since July 2017

Comments

• Options
    agonistes#1431 agonistes Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    It'll probably be moved over. FFXIV existed on PS3 and 4 simultaneously for a bit before they had to end support for the PS3. I am sure the same thing will happen with Neverwinter.
  • Options
    joe7777joe7777 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Probably too soon to say.
  • Options
    flowone1#2207 flowone1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Ps5 plays ps4 games I hear
  • Options
    They said ps5 is backwards compatible with trophy support and save game
  • Options
    Most important thing for me in neverwinter is trying to find out how I can obtain the boar mount from Xbox 2016 giveaway on ps4 I saw someone rinding it and I want it so bad D:
  • Options
    chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User

I would venture that such a reported feature would have its limitations. Unlike the initial PS3 which had a separate mini-PS2 inside, I doubt unproven claims of “perfect” software emulators or scaling hardware that can dumb down to effectively render slower content.

Now it would be great if Sony’s boasts actually deliver. However, too many times a company over boasts to encourage stock value and under delivers to encourage profits.

It would be in Cryptic’s interest to ensure, to the extent it can, that NW would be compatible. However, with a F2P model, they may be busy trying to determine if it is fiscally sound to apply resources to ensure compatibility across console generations. Porting the PC game to the PS4 was resource consuming enough, I’m sure. At least with a subscription service, there’s a slightly more stable revenue on which to base projections and value.

If the projections are showing loss in ensuring compatibility, it would be wise for Cryptic to be quiet, cross its collective fingers and ride this horse for as long as players will let them before NW on PS dies or Sony pulls through on its bold claims. I hope it doesn’t die. My desires don’t drive business; profit does.

The PS5 is partly based on the PS4 architecture, so I don't see an issue.
  • Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    I will bet no as they can focus on getting Magic all spiffy and shiny for the new generations of consoles as it will be a big cash cow for them on release. Never say never tho...
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    ananxiousnoob#0947 ananxiousnoob Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I intend to get the PS5 as soon as it is possible to do so. Having recently returned to Neverwinter I am very keen to know from an official source whether NW will be available on the PS5 and if my characters will be able to move over.

Bungie have recently confirmed that not only will we be able to play our characters in Destiny 2 on the PS5 at 60 FPS but that it will be possible to play with PS4 players and hopefully next year with Xbox players and PC players as well. I appreciate that the disparity in size between Bungie and the NW team will not allow for the same level of technical ‘support’.
    I am, however, loathe to continue playing and spending money on NW if it will not be available on the PS 5.

I would therefore appreciate a response from the devs so that I can continue to play NW for some time to come. Until I know what the position is I will not spend any more money.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Sony mentioned that most of the games we play on PS4 should be playable on PS5 after there was a big deal made about backwards compatibility. Now what they mean by "most" will really define if NW makes the cut I suppose.

EDIT: Keep in mind, with the predicted shortage of PS5s and the 800USD price tag floating around, not sure how urgent it us NW jumps on the PS5 train.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    if they don't make the jump by the time most people will make the jump. say within five months of release the game will fall. so unless they are planning to discontinue this game and all the rest that are on consoles they MUST be planning on updating it to run smoothly on all platforms.
  • Options
    I don't understand? Those of us playing on PS4 aren't just going to toss them away even if we get a new PS5. I have a huge library of games on my PS4, some of which I am pretty sure aren't going to make the cut to PS5 so whilst I plan on getting a PS5 I won't stop using my PS4. I currently have a HDMI hub which I use to play/connect all my systems. I will just add the PS5 to the mess and use my PS4 to play NW assuming it doesn't make the cut.
  • Options
    chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User

I don't understand? Those of us playing on PS4 aren't just going to toss them away even if we get a new PS5. I have a huge library of games on my PS4, some of which I am pretty sure aren't going to make the cut to PS5 so whilst I plan on getting a PS5 I won't stop using my PS4. I currently have a HDMI hub which I use to play/connect all my systems. I will just add the PS5 to the mess and use my PS4 to play NW assuming it doesn't make the cut.

I usually try and trade in my previous gen console to lower the price of the newer Gen system. So I will only have 1 system at a time.
  • Options
    joe7777joe7777 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Personally I have no interest in getting a PS5 so I'm good either way. I'm sure the devs will weigh in on this topic when they can though, as right now it is likely they don't have anything planned regarding PS5.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    When they have addressed this question in streams, they've said that they cannot answer the question...which usually means NDA, or they are in talks, so take that as you will.
  • Options
    arazith07 said:

When they have addressed this question in streams, they've said that they cannot answer the question...which usually means NDA, or they are in talks, so take that as you will.

Sadly it also sometimes means, we aren't going to tell the truth because we know the player base will drop.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

arazith07 said:

Sadly it also sometimes means, we aren't going to tell the truth because we know the player base will drop.
    From a business standpoint, why would they not switch over, at least for Playstation. Not sure how well Xbox would carry over, but that is also their 3rd least populated server.
  • Options
    ananxiousnoob#0947 ananxiousnoob Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    If they had plans to have the game ready for the PS5 the Devs would have said so. The community manager must have read this thread and could have written a response to allay our fears, but there is a complete silence on the topic. It does not bode well for NW being on the PS5
  • Options
    tigerdrsk#8993 tigerdrsk Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I'll level with you, especially with the pandemic that's made making these new systems a bit rougher for a console gen to come out, you always have to think of the size of a player base before insisting on when a game may move over.

Right now as far as xbox and ps goes, they have a bigger install base on their current gen tech. There's millions there and easily able to make money from. The jump would require a new install base and most games can't afford that at the moment due to their population size. Big enough to sustain for a bit, but not yet ready to plunge to new hardware.

You have to factor in how scarce the units will be, most are not going to make an immediate jump. If cryptic were to say so on these games, i have a feeling they wouldn't make such a jump until next year mid march earliest.

If it's proven both consoles coming out will have the backwards compatibility and can run on either ps4 or ps5 simultaneously, again it may take some time for them to develop a version for it but it obviously will happen if it does. I think right now it's still wait and see.

Honestly you shouldn't be jumping to ps5 right now. The price may fall to 700 or 800 and there's just so few games coming out. If you have a ps4 and even had just ps plus a few years, you'll have quite a catalogue and even buying games cheaply from those discounts would tide you over.

Personally I have over 400 unplayed ps4 games and the price of the system doesn't justify the jump. It's a futuristic looking overhaul of the ps2 and 5 games and the usual first run systems have a tendency to break down well before they should. It's a waiting game.
  • Options
    Something we need to face is that NW is not going to ever be what it was before MOD16 again, something they have admitted. This is paramount. Even now on the PS4, NW feels old and clunky compared to some other MMOs. So you have to ask, why bother switching over to PS5 at all?

And by some chance we can play NW on PS5 due to easy compatibility issues, the game is never going to be ramped up to take advantage of the current gen technology. They simply have no money or team to do it. And keep in mind, it’s been made perfectly clear the new Magic game is the golden goose now. They simply aren’t allowed to let NW outshine Magic. If time, money and resources are going to be dumped into something, it will be that, Magic.

I can see how NW will survive a good while on PS4 because due to the PS5 scarcity and cost it will not have a huge number of people jumping the PS4 ship for some time. So, there’s that, I suppose.