test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do I find a guild? I am new to this

Hi,

I am lvl 70, used to be a part fo a guild ages ago but stopped playing for a while. I am back now and would like to join a guild but not sure how to find one worth joining (mature respectful members, no obligations, no exploitation or payment asked for joining/joining fee).

Please, could anyone help? I promise to contribute to making the guild I join, best guild ever.

Thank you in advance,
M

Answers

• Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Here is what you do, in the game O key brings up the Social Menu. Use Find Guild tab then sort by the purple icon from High to Low. This shows you the current active guilds. Make note of any with discord/Facebook/webpages then read the information about them. Join their online discord chat to see what is "really" going on inside the guilds you find. Don't beg to join a guild. They need your help. Believe me you don't want your first guild experience to be a guild of 3 men in their mid 30's talking about My Little Pony all week long.... I don't judge people, ok maybe you do.

Also remember to search for those guilds when you are playing the game. That means when you are currently active, they are currently active. Almost forgot, you might want to join a level 20 guild, but consider this, if you join a low level guild you get to experience the building of the Stronghold.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    You can most likely choose between MANY. You can look through guilds and ask for an invite if you find one you like ingame, or in this forum here, you can search for guilds you find interesting and pm them... or you can message me. (

In the end, you might have to check out some to find the place you truly belong and people you vibe with, but there are a lot of great guilds/alliances out there. I would personally not go for guilds that are not part of an (big, active) alliance, since it greatly improves your experience if there really are some people online whenever you play and you can get some different perspectives and playing styles (also how fast/not at all you want to run anything) in, and if it is an alliance you can get premade Queues full with or not.
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Here is what you do, in the game O key brings up the Social Menu. Use Find Guild tab then sort by the purple icon from High to Low. This shows you the current active guilds. Make note of any with discord/Facebook/webpages then read the information about them. Join their online discord chat to see what is "really" going on inside the guilds you find. Don't beg to join a guild. They need your help. Believe me you don't want your first guild experience to be a guild of 3 men in their mid 30's talking about My Little Pony all week long.... I don't judge people, ok maybe you do.

Also remember to search for those guilds when you are playing the game. That means when you are currently active, they are currently active. Almost forgot, you might want to join a level 20 guild, but consider this, if you join a low level guild you get to experience the building of the Stronghold.

Purple icon will show the number of people with invite permission. So that's hardly an indicator of activity.

More so, many guilds will have their invite members hidden due to the common "inv guild plz" spam. So it will show 0 for some of the most active guilds around.
    To add to this, the search is flawed, and will take several searches to rotate the result even if the results are not maxed.

For example if we have 5 guilds:

"Superior hamsters"
    "Hamsters of war and peace"
    "PvP Hamsters"
    "Hamsters of blood and glory"
    "Most hamsterous hamsters"

A search for "hamster" can show in one go results 1-2, then a refresh show 4-5 and it will take 10 refreshed searches to find guild number 3

Using the in-game search is the worst option. Exactly here in the forums there are listings which are better, and there are lists like:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/wiki/guilds

Also just joining a guild discord to "lurk" will not get much, as most sensible discords admins will have separate permissions for guild members and so vs random people who join.

• Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    If you per accident end up in a completely useless hamster guild, you can just leave again...
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

Purple icon will show the number of people with invite permission. So that's hardly an indicator of activity.

More so, many guilds will have their invite members hidden due to the common "inv guild plz" spam. So it will show 0 for some of the most active guilds around.
    To add to this, the search is flawed, and will take several searches to rotate the result even if the results are not maxed.

"Superior hamsters"
    "PvP Hamsters"

A search for "hamster" can show in one go results 1-2, then a refresh show 4-5 and it will take 10 refreshed searches to find guild number 3

Using the in-game search is the worst option. Exactly here in the forums there are listings which are better, and there are lists like:

Also just joining a guild discord to "lurk" will not get much, as most sensible discords admins will have separate permissions for guild members and so vs random people who join.

Wrong, the purple man icon is only those currently online and with invite permission. Therefore the higher this number, the more likelihood you will find someone in the guild online to speak with at the time you are playing. You seem to think I am just going on one criteria here. If you choose to hide your guild membership from this search, then you are not seeking additional membership.

I am no stranger to the scammers or the "please inv" whispers, even though my four guilds are nothing more than banks. The only true guild I belong to is a very old guild full of whales and I don't have permission to invite. This is why a smart guild leader limits recruiters to those who understand what to do and say. The in game search is not the worse option, it is your best first option to making a list of potential guilds you might wish to join.

Sometimes I wonder, if you actually read the post fully?

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited February 2020

micky1p00 said:

"Superior hamsters"
    "PvP Hamsters"

Wrong, the purple man icon is only those currently online and with invite permission. Therefore the higher this number, the more likelihood you will find someone in the guild online to speak with at the time you are playing. You seem to think I am just going on one criteria here. If you choose to hide your guild membership from this search, then you are not seeking additional membership.

I am no stranger to the scammers or the "please inv" whispers, even though my four guilds are nothing more than banks. The only true guild I belong to is a very old guild full of whales and I don't have permission to invite. This is why a smart guild leader limits recruiters to those who understand what to do and say. The in game search is not the worse option, it is your best first option to making a list of potential guilds you might wish to join.

Sometimes I wonder, if you actually read the post fully?

1. I assumed it was clear we talk about online only as you obviously can't have 0 people otherwise, which is most of the guilds in the search. To add to that, it indicates only those with invite permission. Itsy bitsy logic wouldn't hurt.
    In centralized guilds those are few, in invite everyone that breathes or not, those are many. Neither indicate activity. There are full guilds of both types.

2. To send a player to the in-game guild search as first option is probably the second largest disservice one can do to a new player, the first will be sending them to find one in PE zone chat.
    The search function is bad, flawed, and an indicator of very little. With extreme superficial description of the guild and its spirit.
    Taking the time to look over the forums, the link I've provided or looking at people in content runs (general activity can be searched via players search and not guild search) and not to be afraid of moving guilds and checking them out (as long as people upfront about it) is a better approach.
    Though the guild search has one good use, if someone is willing to spam the search repeatedly to see multiple results, and it's to see the guild ranks.

3. I'm sure your experience with storage guilds is exactly comparable to an active SH20 with permissive invite rights... 20 people getting "inv guild plz" per day (subsided now) is exactly the same as getting one per millennia. Hidden invite members doesn't mean a guild is not recruiting, it usually means there is an alternate method of contact instead. Consider it as a minimal effort filter.

Try an attempt, try what you suggested, vs looking up the forums, the link I've provided and reddit search in general, in-game runs or activities, and then checking activity via people finder, and lets see how fast you will reach a higher matching guild to what fits.
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    edited February 2020

Hi,

I am lvl 70, used to be a part fo a guild ages ago but stopped playing for a while. I am back now and would like to join a guild but not sure how to find one worth joining (mature respectful members, no obligations, no exploitation or payment asked for joining/joining fee).

Please, could anyone help? I promise to contribute to making the guild I join, best guild ever.

Thank you in advance,
    M

Use in game guild search system. Join guild, check out by yourself, don't like, leave and move to other.
    Check out by yourself, rather hearing/reading comments.

Even if you join highly reccomended guild, if most/core members of that guild are from different time zone, it may lead to dissapointment. Cuz most of time you may left do content outside of guild parties.

I highly reccomend to join custom chat > called "NW_Legit Community", which is used by countless guilds/alliances members.

In current neverwinter situation, all is matter guild boons. Lot of players do game content outside guild/alliance.
    Other thing, avoid so called guild lists, either reddit or forum.. They do not reflect real situation.

There are old and maxed guilds, who simply don't try act as elite, they don't try show off. They simply are group of players who like to have fun and do play game..
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    sperisperi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I used to play this game many years ago, now I'm coming back, trying to find a guild too! :)

What I want in a guild overall is people where I'll enjoy playing with...
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    Speri wins the internet!

As the founding member of the Neverwinter Founder's Guild Tyrs Paladium, who has operated non-stop since alpha, I have heard this question and answered this question more than probably anyone in the game.

The END GOAL is exactly what Speri states above. "What I want in a guild overall is people where I'll enjoy playing with... and THAT... is what the main expectation for our guild is.. to find someone who wants to enjoy playing with others. PERIOD.

So here are the steps I recommend for someone looking for a guild.

1: Do homework right here on the Neverwinter forum's "Guild & Alliance Recruitment" section first. That's exactly what this forum was designed to do. It even contains a "GUILD DIRECTORY of Neverwinter" with specific details about the game's guilds.

The "Guild & Alliance Recruitment" section will contain THREADS created by the GUILD FOUNDERS or REPRESENTATIVES. Click on some. This puts YOU, the guild recruit (or shopper) in the driver's seat by showing you all the guilds that are currently, actively recruiting.

You will learn what the guild is about, how big they are and the personality of the guild may even be well on display. When you FIND a guild, seek out their webpage or guild rules. Do they gel with what you are looking for? Don't overlook these steps because you will (hopefully) spend lots of time there and you'll want to enjoy yourself! :)

*TIP: Unlike other times in life -- size doesn't matter, it's the magic in the magician that really counts! :) How tight knit is the guild? Do members KNOW or PLAY with each other? Will they be accepting of your playstyle? These are the questions you need to answer for yourself Small, medium and large guilds should be considered! They are all the LIFE BLOOD of Neverwinter.

For example: Our recruitment thread is here. And our Guild Website is here. Our Guild Rules and Application to join are there.

2. Once you select a guild it's time to join. Once accepted and you've joined, please understand that the "search" DOES NOT END THERE. Now those guildies, your new friends, NEED TO FIND YOU! If the guild that you joined has a forum, be SURE to make a post and introduce yourself. That is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT step to breaking the ice. Why? Because guildies that use the site can greet you and they will now be looking for you in game.

3. Finally, its time to say a few words in GUILD CHAT. See who plays during your playtimes and look to group up!

** Some people are introverted or shy. Many of our guildies have started that way. To you all that check THIS box, thats ok.

You CAN do all the above steps. Step ONE you can do in the comfort of your own home, solo. Once you join, seek out an officer or guild leader and let them know you are shy or whatever challenge you may have. If they are THE RIGHT GUILD FOR YOU.... that person will make you feel comfortable and introduce you to what the guild has to offer at your pace and on your standards.

Good luck Themarisone ... and Speri!!!
    Post edited by aandrethegiant on

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!