test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter in-game written languages

roadkill#6177 roadkill Member Posts: 534 Arc User
edited January 2020 in Player Feedback (PC)
There are various messages in Neverwinter that I have not yet found a corresponding alphabet. Hell Pit included yet another unknown language embedded in the event stage, the rest zone and the contract that a player would sign. I guess I have to search more outside the game, but I really wish language acquisition from player relationships (ie. character creation) and/or knowledge questlines, or even the libraries with readable books/lore were included in Neverwinter so I wouldn't have to search so much outside a game to learn what's happening inside a game.
Post edited by roadkill#6177 on

Comments

• Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Can you give me other examples (and screenshots if possible!) of these messages with no corresponding alphabet? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I don't see a way to upload screenshots to the forum so I'll just describe what I've found.

From what I read Neverwinter is based on D&D 4th Edition. I was able to find a 4e Player's Handbook which lists 10 languages total and 6 scripts to write those languages, however the book only has 2 of the 6 scripts included. I searched for the Dungeon Master's Guide and found no additional scripts in it. I'm wondering now how languages are acquired in D&D if only 2 scripts are found in the PHB. Anyway, in total now I've found 8 D&D scripts (possibly a 9th but uncertain about the source), and some match with Neverwinter. My sentiment is frustration that the seemingly basic aspect of learning languages in D&D did not make it into Neverwinter, and yet the game is abound with scripts (not to mention runes) with no apparent means to transcribe or acquire knowledge of them.

In addition to most of the Hell Pit event:

1. All hostiles, aka critters, and more easily seen on bigger targets like bosses, have a script that circles them on the ground that looks like it could be a scripted language and not just runes.

2. Large crystals can be found in various zones and instances, including outside the Stronghold's Gemmonger shop. The crystal holders all seem to have the same writing on them.

3. Stone circular structures can be found in various zones and instances, including the Sharandar, Dread Ring and inside the Stronghold's Gemmonger shop, the top of these have writing on them.

4. The Workshop's bulletin board has various postings, one seems to be Futhark and another Chinese, but these seem like Easter Eggs than game related per se.

Maybe I should consider all the runes and scripts as Easter Eggs?
    Post edited by roadkill#6177 on
  • Options
    Been a while since I checked on this post and since I was prevented from logging into the forums here for a couple months I can now add:

5. Avernus has what looks like a script on the canisters in the Stygian Docks area.