test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does NW (and other MMORPGs) have 'upside down' bags?

drartwhodentdrartwhodent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
In the Real World (TM), when you put an item into a bag, it goes down to the bottom, or on top of whatever is in the bag already. It does not get 'stuck' at the top of the bag.
Why do our bags in the game fill from the top down then?
Is it lazy programming?
Is it just because 'everyone else does it that way'?
I realize that if it got changed now, we would hear the complaints from the stratosphere, simply because people complain when things change.
It is illogical the way it is now tho.
I do not argue for items to drop to lower bag - unless your top bags are full of course - you put stuff in the bag on top yes, but, logically the stuff should start filling the bag from the bottom up.
My 2 coppers.
DON'T
PANIC!

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,228 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    In the real world, a bag cannot hold a horse, live companions, many stacks of 999 lockbox, ...
    99 bottle of potion is not the same size of 1 bottle of potion.
    And the only magic you can think of is anti-gravity?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I could be wrong, but I think there may be a setting in the options to change this? It's been a while since I have fiddled with my bag settings, so I can't recall for sure.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    "Magical fantasy worlds should work logically, assuming you focus on one 'logical' aspect and ignore all the rest."

'Real world' bags don't have have 24 slots in them that you can put any item of any size and weight in and not worry about it.

'Real world' bags don't fill up when you put X very tiny items in them.

As for game bags, I put all my stuff in order in the bottom of the bags, and I leave empty space at the visible part of the bag (the top is the most visible when you open a bag) for 'new stuff' to drop. If bags worked like Tetris and new items fell to sit on top of the things at the bottom, then
    1) I wouldn't see them when I open my bag and it defaults to showing me the top and
    2) I'd have to carefully check each time to see where 'new items' ended and 'my sorted items' began.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I could be wrong, but I think there may be a setting in the options to change this? It's been a while since I have fiddled with my bag settings, so I can't recall for sure.

Yes there is a setting under the gear icon at the bottom of your inventory to place "holes" at the top. Also you can make your inventory slotless.

This is another one of those, it has to be more real than real threads. My wife is like that, she wants to fetch her mount from a physical stable and not to have it poof under her. I would find it very annoying to have to return to where I left my mount to gather it.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

In the Real World (TM), when you put an item into a bag, it goes down to the bottom, or on top of whatever is in the bag already. It does not get 'stuck' at the top of the bag.
    Why do our bags in the game fill from the top down then?
    Is it lazy programming?
    Is it just because 'everyone else does it that way'?
    I realize that if it got changed now, we would hear the complaints from the stratosphere, simply because people complain when things change.
    It is illogical the way it is now tho.
    I do not argue for items to drop to lower bag - unless your top bags are full of course - you put stuff in the bag on top yes, but, logically the stuff should start filling the bag from the bottom up.
    My 2 coppers.

Becaaaaaause... fantasy?
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Beside any RP reason, it's also more convenient = gamedesigned as it to ease readability of informations.
    The bags fill up as you loot like an "occidental" would read the page of a book. First loot in the first upper left spot available. It's usually easier to find what you have looted lately in this way rather than from the bottom right to the upper left, especially if your inventory is bigger than one screen height.

Because i tend to organize my bags (one 36slot bag is stocking one item theme, ex : a bag for buff consummables, a bag for quest items or alike, a bag for trinkets/enchants/alternative equipmements) with the first bag always empty at the begining of a session.. I like the way that the first thing i loot fall in the first uper left corner available of my inventory, so at any point of my session I can quickly (though manually) sort all the things i found.

I think if drops would went in loot order from bottom right to upper left in my bags, I would be utterly confused and probably unable keep playing because of my inventory OCT tendencies ^^, and don't think i could get used to the reverse style even after years.

If I draw a grid, and ask you to fill each square with a cross as fast as you can, would you start upper left to end bottom right, bottom right to end upper left, random and chaotic ?
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Well, it is really just for convenience - usually, in PC: when you open a window, it opens not scrolled down. NW (surprisingly) behaves the same way.
    So, when you throw something to your inventory, the newest item is fitted to the slot that is the least likely to force you to scroll down. Just convenience.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

In the Real World (TM),

You're really going to start an argument about the way bags work in a video game with that statement?

In the real world:
    • You don't get to ride around on legendary mounts that include butterfly swarms, metallic horses, witches brooms, etc
    • You don't get to pop a bank vault out of your butt cheeks and store your loot in it to transfer to your alternate personalities
    • You don't keep 5 slaves (ie companions) locked up god knows where to steal their powers/stats from
    • You're not wearing armor, you don't have enchants, you just don't exist because you are a fantasy character in a game being played by a human that thinks the way bags fill up is a pivotal issue
  • Options
    drartwhodentdrartwhodent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 301 Arc User
    I never said, or thought, it was a 'pivotal issue'.
    It just hit me as a curiousity.
    I like to keep my top bag empty to start too. With bottom bags filled with themed contents also.
    My 'pivotal issue' is more along the lines of "Please give us more bag slots as well as bigger bags instead of just bigger bags for sale"
    While I always crave more space, I am not going to buy a new bag to replace a Dragon Hoard bag.
    I already have a couple/three smaller 'excess' bags in my bank.
    DON'T
    PANIC!
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    It's because that people who use English (and other top to bottom, left to right) as their primary language, will start scanning any new information (textual or a bunch of icons) in the same order, left to right, top to bottom. Putting items at the start of the scan list saves time, while putting them towards the end, will take more time, that is assuming on both cases the bag has space.

Also to add to the above, the top to bottom filling is more beneficial on empty bags (completely new or organized players who will move the items from the top to wherever they want them), and the bottom to top will aid more messy players who just leave items, so eventually their items will be on top, hence found fast looking from top to bottom.

For more information, look up for eye tracking research done in UI design.