test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Potential Winter Festival Issue - Dismounting - Omens of the Stars

As Winter Festival has not yet begun, I don't know if this will be an issue, so I didn't put this in the Bug Report Forum.

Performing the Omens of the Stars quest required crossing a bridge and looking into a telescope. The congestion as multiple players on giant mounts tried to position themselves to get the 'Press F' pop-up box was usually quite frustrating. In the past year the developers changed the interaction between mounted players and mailboxes such that they no longer are dismounted.

This post requests the dev team to verify that:

1. The interaction with the telescope in Winter Festival *Does* dismount players

or

2. The target area around the telescope in Winter Festival has been expanded to accommodate numerous players on mounts interacting with the telescope (no dismounting).

Just trying to avoid frustration due to changes that may interact with periodic events.

Comments

• Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Well, the worst enemy was the lag - if you have to wait 5 seconds for the game to actually recognise the telescope as an object of interaction, it does not matter if players are mounted or dismounted, the new incoming guy will mess your effort anyway.
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    I really doubt they will change this after 5+ years. I assume we will be dealing with same issues as always.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Just making the viewing area (press F to interact) larger would solve a lot of the problem...

As is it not the interaction is so small, with so many people trying to get into position at the same time, it's beyond frustrating at times.
    DD~
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    All you ever had to do was look up to the sky. Doesn't matter who's in the way. You can still interact that way.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User

All you ever had to do was look up to the sky. Doesn't matter who's in the way. You can still interact that way.

That may work for you, but it hasn't always worked for me and a lot of other players it seems.

DD~
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019

As Winter Festival has not yet begun, I don't know if this will be an issue, so I didn't put this in the Bug Report Forum.

Performing the Omens of the Stars quest required crossing a bridge and looking into a telescope. The congestion as multiple players on giant mounts tried to position themselves to get the 'Press F' pop-up box was usually quite frustrating. In the past year the developers changed the interaction between mounted players and mailboxes such that they no longer are dismounted.

You can avoid that by binding a command to a key (in my exemple the key is "alt+F") :
    /bind alt+f "++interact"
    This command allows you, when you press the chosen key, to interact with any objet/NPC while completely ignoring players toons. No more trouble to find the narrow gap in the crowd at the telescope.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited December 2019

You can avoid that by binding a command to a key (in my exemple the key is "alt+F") :
    /bind alt+f "++interact"
    This command allows you, when you press the chosen key, to interact with any objet/NPC while completely ignoring players toons. No more trouble to find the narrow gap in the crowd at the telescope.
    I thought that does not work anymore. If it works, great. I used to bind 'g' and worked well in previous Winter Festivals (and other places). However, it stopped working since the big change.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Yes, I used the key bind before for Jubilee when the Travelling Merchant drops were in the middle of a crowd of warriors. Modifications like key binds are a valid option, but everything should work in the 'vanilla/default' state if designed properly. I'm just hoping someone from Cryptic at least acknowledges the existence of the issue. @nitocris83
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2019

I thought that does not work anymore. If it works, great. I used to bind 'g' and worked well in previous Winter Festivals (and other places). However, it stopped working since the big change.

Works fine for me. Didn't used it since summer fest, but i'm in game now and tried it in front of the maptable at stellar dock with another player inbetween, my "alt+f" just ignores the player and opened the WE/FE map (and without moving the camera the regular "F" triggers the contextual menu trade/inspect/invite etc).

Try to bind it again, maybe something had been reseted on your config/game/account ?

edit : typo
  • Options

Works fine for me. Didn't used it since summer fest, but i'm in game now and tried it in front of the maptable at stellar dock with another player inbetween, my "alt+f" just ignores the player and opened the WE/FE map (and without moving the camera the regular "F" triggers the contextual menu trade/inspect/invite etc).

Try to bind it again, maybe something had been reseted on your config/game/account ?

edit : typo
    I for sure will try again. I'm pretty sure somebody reported that in "Bug Report" back then. May be they fixed it without telling.
    Thanks.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    I just point the camera straight up at the sky, as another poster mentioned. That has always worked for me.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    hustin1 said:

I just point the camera straight up at the sky, as another poster mentioned. That has always worked for me.

That may work but for me, it is a lot easier to just ride there and type 'g' without thinking. And then, move on 2 steps and type 'g' again.