test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What I Want Out Of a Dungeon

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
edited November 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
1. I want a dungeon that forces us to make several difficult choices along the way, and none of them should EVER be "meta".
2. I want a dungeon that entices us to take a path leading away from the direct route to the end, and leaves us all saying, "THAT. WAS. AWESOME!" when we return to the main path.
3. I want a dungeon that then does the above more than once before we get to the end.
4. I want a dungeon with NPC's that we HAVE to talk to (and actually pay attention to what they say).
5. I want a dungeon with a single room that makes us roar with laughter.
6. I want a dungeon with a wide variety of random events that might derail us from our "expected" course.
7. I want a dungeon that has unlockable areas that are tied to quests outside the dungeon.
8. I want a dungeon that GIVES us external quests.
9. I want a dungeon that rewards the party sticking together.
10. I want a dungeon that teaches that running ahead alone is a great way to get killed.
11. I want a dungeon that requires that players actively search for something hidden.
12. I want a dungeon that does its best to prevent players from knowing where things are in advance.
13. I want a dungeon that looks like it was built for a specific purpose and actually makes logical sense in how it is laid out.
14. I want a dungeon that requires gathering clues along the way.
15. I want a dungeon that rewards thinking your way through a situation (and by this I *don't* mean mere fight mechanics).
16. I want a dungeon with lots of lore that tells you about its history, since the builder of a dungeon and the occupier of a dungeon can be very different.
17. I want a dungeon where the lore you find is an important factor in getting through it.
18. I want a dungeon that makes it extremely painful to just brute-force your way through certain situations, even for the most BiS players.
19. I want a dungeon that requires bringing a light source lest you be eaten by a grue.
20. I want a dungeon that very strongly tempts players to go "off the beaten path", even if it means more danger.
21. I want a dungeon that makes players choose between multiple unknown dangers.
22. I want a dungeon that leaves players uncertain as to which way to proceed, even when they replay it.
23. I want a dungeon that gets players jumping at shadows.
24. I want a dungeon that entices players to constantly search for hidden doors, objects, or traps.
25. I want a dungeon that gives players a strong incentive to watch their backs as they proceed.
26. I want a dungeon that gives players a strong incentive to move stealthily.
27. I want a dungeon that sometimes forces players to go to "Plan B", which they might have to formulate on the fly.
28. I want a dungeon where players will find it difficult to definitively say, "okay, we might get derailed at this point."
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
Post edited by hustin1 on

Comments

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, only way to bring that kind of content into the game would be to get the Foundry working again...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • hexngone#5489 hexngone Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    29. How about skill nodes/chests in dungeons that contain items needed to progress further into the dungeon (thus making folks open them instead of ignoring them). Progressive pieces that can be assembled into a key come to mind...

30. Dungeons that require 'down-dressing' to lower IL equipment to complete (similar to the profession/MW mechanism that penalizes players for using high-end tools/artisans instead of relying on chance/risk). This could be applied to all the pre-mod 14 dungeons and SH, utilizing the lower IL gear as is instead of deleting/transmuting it.

But as a whole, I support what the OP listed, more story less running - more thinking and strategy, less independent movement.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

1. I want a dungeon that forces us to make several difficult choices along the way, and none of them should EVER be "meta".
    2. I want a dungeon that entices us to take a path leading away from the direct route to the end, and leaves us all saying, "THAT. WAS. AWESOME!" when we return to the main path.
    3. I want a dungeon that then does the above more than once before we get to the end.
    4. I want a dungeon with NPC's that we HAVE to talk to (and actually pay attention to what they say).
    6. I want a dungeon with a wide variety of random events that might derail us from our "expected" course.
    7. I want a dungeon that has unlockable areas that are tied to quests outside the dungeon.
    10. I want a dungeon that teaches that running ahead alone is a great way to get killed.
    11. I want a dungeon that requires that players actively search for something hidden.
    12. I want a dungeon that does its best to prevent players from knowing where things are in advance.
    13. I want a dungeon that looks like it was built for a specific purpose and actually makes logical sense in how it is laid out.
    15. I want a dungeon that rewards thinking your way through a situation (and by this I *don't* mean mere fight mechanics).
    16. I want a dungeon with lots of lore that tells you about its history, since the builder of a dungeon and the occupier of a dungeon can be very different.
    17. I want a dungeon where the lore you find is an important factor in getting through it.
    18. I want a dungeon that makes it extremely painful to just brute-force your way through certain situations, even for the most BiS players.
    19. I want a dungeon that requires bringing a light source lest you be eaten by a grue.
    20. I want a dungeon that very strongly tempts players to go "off the beaten path", even if it means more danger.
    21. I want a dungeon that makes players choose between multiple unknown dangers.
    22. I want a dungeon that leaves players uncertain as to which way to proceed, even when they replay it.
    24. I want a dungeon that entices players to constantly search for hidden doors, objects, or traps.
    25. I want a dungeon that gives players a strong incentive to watch their backs as they proceed.
    27. I want a dungeon that sometimes forces players to go to "Plan B", which they might have to formulate on the fly.
    28. I want a dungeon where players will find it difficult to definitively say, "okay, we might get derailed at this point."

Sounds to me like you want a TRUE dungeon master. The above would be fun if they could make it happen.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

Very nice post.

I think this would be a great thing to aim for totally!
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I want a dungeon that doesn't have any bugs or glitches.