test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the game worth returning to/starting over?

2»

Comments

• wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    > @yperkeimenos said:
    > If you're the kind of player who wants to keep his hard earned items/equipment and doesn't like going from a powerfull adventurer to a weakling overnight then definitely NO, it's not a good game. If on the other hand you don't mind having to start over every so often, an unresponsive community and Dev team, pay to win mechanics, mindless grinding, bugs,an empty world devoid of other players and the chance of getting banned for running into an exploit the Devs never fixed, then absolutely YES, this is the game for you.

There is absolutely no need to pay to win in this game.
    Elite Whaleboy
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    gripnir78 said:

You say that only, becouse you do not need start to play it from scratch.

Create a new account, and try to determine how much time its gona take, to make just one toon to the level of your current main character.

Now, - hardest part - imagine that you lack all that knowledge about the game you already have

Thats your start - good luck.....

So yeah - there is no need to pay to win, but you simply forgot how much grind time we already have spent here...

You are completely right, but is is far easier now.
    I have met several new players in the game that are at comfortable 20k+ now that haven't done half of the content.
    If they are lucky enough to get into a decent guild soon enough, they will be told what everybody is told: Do Undermountain, you will get all the stuff you need.
    I mean... no need to run with fury feels, no need to know how hunts work. Occassionally, I get the question "where can I get shadowstalker?" but ... not really. And they usually don't even start chult anymore, let alone Omu.
    Many new players are tired when they grind for 2 weeks, the hardest thing for them is saving up enough AD for weap ench or bondings.
    The experiences differ greatly, however, depending on if they socialize and meet some stray vets that tell them about Zax, Sales, ways to make money beyond the cap etc. Of course it can feel ptw, but it isn't that heavy of a grind anymore imo. Just watch the ppl in RTQ ... making AD so easily by standing in the middle of the fire.
    - bye bye -
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited November 2019

gripnir78 said:

You say that only, becouse you do not need start to play it from scratch.

Create a new account, and try to determine how much time its gona take, to make just one toon to the level of your current main character.

Now, - hardest part - imagine that you lack all that knowledge about the game you already have

Thats your start - good luck.....

So yeah - there is no need to pay to win, but you simply forgot how much grind time we already have spent here...

You are completely right, but is is far easier now.
    I have met several new players in the game that are at comfortable 20k+ now that haven't done half of the content.
    If they are lucky enough to get into a decent guild soon enough, they will be told what everybody is told: Do Undermountain, you will get all the stuff you need.
    I mean... no need to run with fury feels, no need to know how hunts work. Occassionally, I get the question "where can I get shadowstalker?" but ... not really. And they usually don't even start chult anymore, let alone Omu.
    Many new players are tired when they grind for 2 weeks, the hardest thing for them is saving up enough AD for weap ench or bondings.
    The experiences differ greatly, however, depending on if they socialize and meet some stray vets that tell them about Zax, Sales, ways to make money beyond the cap etc. Of course it can feel ptw, but it isn't that heavy of a grind anymore imo. Just watch the ppl in RTQ ... making AD so easily by standing in the middle of the fire.
    Getting a character's item level to 20K without doing half of the content isn't hard, particularly when the game allows players to skip so much content to begin with.

Players can get into the Cloaked Tower without having completed the Tower District campaign, they can get to Cragmire Crypts without completing the Blackdagger Ruins quests, they can get to the Gray Wolf's Den without completing any Icespire Peak quests and so it goes. Cryptic has designed the game to allow players to skip content to level up and increase their item level faster.

Something I'm not personally a fan of feeling every player should have to earn a completion token from one campaign area before being allowed to progress on to the next area and the associated dungeon/skirmish queues.

But it is what it is... Maybe that's why we seem to have so many players at high levels, who seem to only have a minimal understanding of how to most effectively play their character's class.

¢¢

DD~
  • some1stolemynicknamesome1stolemynickname Member Posts: 90 Arc User

Hello, so i played this game for a while and never really got to endgame content or anything because of how downhill i heard the game was going. I have been kinda getting an itch to return to my old account or start over or something. Is it worth it or nah?

Ignore all negative comments....1/2 are troll material.

The only person to answer your question is yourself. Try the game for a bit. It is different, but that doesn't mean bad. The only person to judge it for you IS you.

My opinion is yes, but yours may differ. There's only one way to find out.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited November 2019

If you're the kind of player who wants to keep his hard earned items/equipment and doesn't like going from a powerfull adventurer to a weakling overnight then definitely NO, it's not a good game. If on the other hand you don't mind having to start over every so often, an unresponsive community and Dev team, pay to win mechanics, mindless grinding, bugs,an empty world devoid of other players and the chance of getting banned for running into an exploit the Devs never fixed, then absolutely YES, this is the game for you.

And you are still here lol so maso chist
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor

If you're the kind of player who wants to keep his hard earned items/equipment and doesn't like going from a powerfull adventurer to a weakling overnight then definitely NO, it's not a good game. If on the other hand you don't mind having to start over every so often, an unresponsive community and Dev team, pay to win mechanics, mindless grinding, bugs,an empty world devoid of other players and the chance of getting banned for running into an exploit the Devs never fixed, then absolutely YES, this is the game for you.

start over every so often - same with every game...it's not a complete start over though...that's called game progression

unresponsive community
    - that's just BS I and many like me help newbies/returning players every day
    ^^ devs - they do reply to most things, yet people just ignore them

pay to win mechanics - you obviously don't know what that even means...this is the least P2W game I've seen. Name 1 thing you can buy for real money you can't get in the game. You can't! You can even buy the currency (zen) in game with AD (Astral Diamonds).

mindless grinding
    - pretty much the same as most games...especially the F2P games

bugs - yep most are humorous, many get fixed, some are really annoying. Given the fact they fixed some really annoying ones (ice in FBI for example) shows effort for their very limited team.

empty world devoid of other players
    - that's a load of BS...unless you never leave PE. I sent my bank alt through Undermountain campaign until about 1/2 way through today. There were so many people questing it was hard to find mobs to kill for the quests. Maybe if you actually played the game you'd have a clue.

chance of getting banned for running into an exploit the Devs never fixed - oh you mean exploiting that glitch you found? good! I'm pretty sure they've fixed the exploits. They don't ban for accidentally hitting the glitch. It's when you do it over and over...that's exploiting. I've been playing just over 2 years and have yet to see someone get banned for something they didn't deserve it for.

I'm only replying to that load of HAMSTER because 3 people thought: insightful/agree/like.

• tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    dionchi said:

But it is what it is... Maybe that's why we seem to have so many players at high levels, who seem to only have a minimal understanding of how to most effectively play their character's class.

¢¢

Or maybe it's another kind of borderline psy abuse business experiment ?

Let's say we make the game so we artificially create a whole generation of ignorant players + we wipe out part of the knowledge of veterans.
    For exemple (one of many) : not mentionning anything about the stat's cap anywhere in-game (not any tooltip or colorcode on the character sheet or dungeons list showing it's useless to have 160k arm pen in Valindra's Tower)
    Ok you can find that outside of the game (forum, reddit, etc), but you really shouldn't have to do so for that kind of essential information...

Cash shops on free-to-play games (or even on regular games with a subscription) are monetizing frustration, impatience, jealousy, envy, pride, virtual narcissism and/or gambling addictions (the "pay us for our work and service" is fairly more anecdotic, and usually more tied to subscription business model).
    Most of the time it comes with micropayments to lure people with the feeling it's cheap and very affordable.
    This is the very basic concept of this business model and I hope everyone is very well aware of that ^^.
    Combined that with "minimal understanding of how being effective" + "confusing the understandings by making crucial infos blurred or only findable externally", then be a happy business man watching players spend $$ on useless (or completely outdated) things while they are sleepwalking and fumbling in the dark trying to find "how to be more efficient".

Is it done completely intentionnaly by Cryptic ? Unsure, and I hope not. But PWE and Cryptic aren't non-profit enterprises (which is fine, they have to make their living), so...
    Do they kind of predate psy weaknesses or lack of willpower so they can milk players ? Not really more than other free-to-play, but not really less... as borderline "strategies" like that are spread all accross the gaming nowdays, they just follow the same trend...

New and ignorant players who stick around after the leveling phase are obviously more likely to spend money compared to old jaded veterans. So... here is the target.
  • jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited November 2019

New and ignorant players who stick around after the leveling phase are obviously more likely to spend money compared to old jaded veterans. So... here is the target.

Quite. We/The ZAX-abusing vets that are still around will quit sometimes over those issues, or will switch to other games, where they are new players too and will want their status back, perhaps. All this is doing tho, is making ppl abstain from using real money on their products. You could actually get vets to use money if the quality of whatever they were selling was right, and if it finally remained in a good state for more than a mod.

Falls in line with a lot of other stuff (including, but not limited to the so called banning of players that deserved it - obviously some deserved it more than others, even tho they all did it. While obviously we all agreed to the TOS, it was particularly interesting who got a slap on the hand and who got perma-banned. AND it didn't hit just those that were deserving of it :) Sides, were console players really responsible for patching hunt exploit right onto them when players have reported (!) the exploit before? But thats another ancient topic that doesn't matter anymore)

- bye bye -
  • yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User

Actually no, i'm not anymore. Only occassionally do i visit the forums for old times sake and for the nostalgia of the good times i've had countless mods ago. Before Mod 6 after which it all went downhill.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User

Actually no, i'm not anymore. Only occassionally do i visit the forums for old times sake and for the nostalgia of the good times i've had countless mods ago. Before Mod 6 after which it all went downhill.
    Then maybe you should give it another try instead of fill the forums with HAMSTER, the game is in a much better state than it was in mods 6-15.

I feel that some players that leave the game want the game to die, trying to influence other players with their negative attitude, so they feel better, because they were "right". But bad news, the game survived the apocalypse, and is very healthly. Never saw so many new players together since mod 1.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
    edited November 2019

start over every so often - same with every game...it's not a complete start over though...that's called game progression

unresponsive community
    - that's just BS I and many like me help newbies/returning players every day
    ^^ devs - they do reply to most things, yet people just ignore them

pay to win mechanics - you obviously don't know what that even means...this is the least P2W game I've seen. Name 1 thing you can buy for real money you can't get in the game. You can't! You can even buy the currency (zen) in game with AD (Astral Diamonds).

mindless grinding
    - pretty much the same as most games...especially the F2P games

bugs - yep most are humorous, many get fixed, some are really annoying. Given the fact they fixed some really annoying ones (ice in FBI for example) shows effort for their very limited team.

empty world devoid of other players
    - that's a load of BS...unless you never leave PE. I sent my bank alt through Undermountain campaign until about 1/2 way through today. There were so many people questing it was hard to find mobs to kill for the quests. Maybe if you actually played the game you'd have a clue.

chance of getting banned for running into an exploit the Devs never fixed - oh you mean exploiting that glitch you found? good! I'm pretty sure they've fixed the exploits. They don't ban for accidentally hitting the glitch. It's when you do it over and over...that's exploiting. I've been playing just over 2 years and have yet to see someone get banned for something they didn't deserve it for.

I'm only replying to that load of HAMSTER because 3 people thought: insightful/agree/like.

Not every game forces you to start over by trashing your equipment and making a weakling out of a powerfull adventurer overnight. Ftp titles like Warframe and Path of Exile don't increase the level cap every couple of years and don't trash your equipment. In warframe all of my equipment is still relevant eventhough i acquired it years ago. What players get in Neverwinter isn't progression it's a hamster running in a wheel.

Only fanboys can't see that players who try to enter a team via chat get rejected ,more often than not, for various reasons and since i've been member of guilds in the past i can attest that the community is unresponsive.

You obviously don't know the meaning of a timewall. There are many youtube videos where players have tested the drop rate for say legendary mounts and it's s**t you literary have to spend money to buy zen and astral diamonds to buy one. Also tell me how exactly can a player farm coalescent wards without spending money? Every coalescent ward is bought ingame either from the store(money) or from lockboxes which can only open with keys (money).Free to play means that a player can get EVERYTHING by farming and spendning time instead of money. That's not the case in NW therefore it's pay to win because the store can offer an advantage to paying players.

Mindless grinding is called such because in Neverwinter it transcends what can normally be called acceptable. It takes way too long to get anywhere in this game. Also have you ever tried selling or buying something via trade chat? It's impossible 90% of the time because there aren't enough players to trade and even the auction house takes forever to sell something even at very fair prices.

Steam charts speak for themselves and Neverwinter population density is constantly falling. You may not be able to see it in your little guild bubble or if you only play with guidlmates but it's there. Finally if you take the time to do some research many people got banned for "participating" in glitches they had no knowledge of, but you know what? If the Devs leave a glitch ingame for a very long time ,eventhough it's been reported many times over, it's no longer a glitch, its's a game feature. Due to their incompetence , indifference or both they can no longer claim the high moral ground.
    Post edited by yperkeimenos on
    edited November 2019

Then maybe you should give it another try instead of fill the forums with HAMSTER, the game is in a much better state than it was in mods 6-15.

I feel that some players that leave the game want the game to die, trying to influence other players with their negative attitude, so they feel better, because they were "right". But bad news, the game survived the apocalypse, and is very healthly. Never saw so many new players together since mod 1.
    Actually no, i don't have to do anything. I've been playing since the Catursday event and have seen enough to know that the Devs don't listen and that not much will change ,no matter what the players say. It's company policy to do whatever they want and they view the players as cows to be milked ,in a lazy way i might add, rather than offer them good content. As for the game failing, they don't need me, the Devs/PWE/Cryptic are doing a fine job themselves. Oh and something else i can and will post whatever i want no matter how much you and people like you whine, now be a good boy and keep playing like a good little Hamster. The wheel needs to keep turning.

Not every game forces you to start over by trashing your equipment and making a weakling out of a powerfull adventurer overnight. Ftp titles like Warframe and Path of Exile don't increase the level cap every couple of years and don't trash your equipment. In warframe all of my equipment is still relevant eventhough i acquired it years ago. What players get in Neverwinter isn't progression it's a hamster running in a wheel.

Only fanboys can't see that players who try to enter a team via chat get rejected ,more often than not, for various reasons and since i've been member of guilds in the past i can attest that the community is unresponsive.

You obviously don't know the meaning of a timewall. There are many youtube videos where players have tested the drop rate for say legendary mounts and it's s**t you literary have to spend money to buy zen and astral diamonds to buy one. Also tell me how exactly can a player farm coalescent wards without spending money? Every coalescent ward is bought ingame either from the store(money) or from lockboxes which can only open with keys (money).Free to play means that a player can get EVERYTHING by farming and spendning time instead of money. That's not the case in NW therefore it's pay to win because the store can offer an advantage to paying players.

Mindless grinding is called such because in Neverwinter it transcends what can normally be called acceptable. It takes way too long to get anywhere in this game. Also have you ever tried selling or buying something via trade chat? It's impossible 90% of the time because there aren't enough players to trade and even the auction house takes forever to sell something even at very fair prices.

Steam charts speak for themselves and Neverwinter population density is constantly falling. You may not be able to see it in your little guild bubble or if you only play with guidlmates but it's there. Finally if you take the time to do some research many people got banned for "participating" in glitches they had no knowledge of, but you know what? If the Devs leave a glitch ingame for a very long time ,eventhough it's been reported many times over, it's no longer a glitch, its's a game feature. Due to their incompetence , indifference or both they can no longer claim the high moral ground.

I'm not going to give much time on this discussion anymore, so I'll just sum things up.

(btw Steam doesn't reflect anything other than how many Steam players play the game on Steam...and most who play don't use Steam now)

That sums it up...you're a troll. Comparing the game to PoE and complaining about this game being a grind, that's lol worthy. PoE is even more repetitive and gets boring fast. It's a good game, but it's just a redone version of Diablo 2. There is no comparison other than it's F2P.
  • killzoneexkillzoneex Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Simply put No.

M16 destroyed value.
    Current sale and direction is going in the wrong direction.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    If you never got to endgame before just try it yourself.

What you'll find in the forums:
    • a bunch of salty players that linger and badmouth the class changes even though they no longer play
    • a bunch of salty players that linger and badmouth the class changes even though they still play the game (hooray us!)
    • a bunch of salty players that don't think the game has gotten a ton of content this year (truth)
    • a bunch of players that think things are hard
    • a bunch of players that think things are easy
    • a bunch of players that think things are expensive (100-300k for a rank 12 enchantment expensive??? you kids dont know how good you have it)
    • some newer players that appreciate what they're playing because they weren't around for the "good ole days"

So you really just need to try it yourself. You'll either like it or you won't but you can't listen to those of us that were here before the big game revamp. We're a bit jaded.
  • burnthedead#7732 burnthedead Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    You must admit, choosing a CW or HR will make your game easier, and likely more successful.
    Following the Meta (best character-optimal build) and buying VIP put you leaps ahead of "free to play'ers".
    If you are willing to spend, you can avoid newby mistakes and advance fast, otherwise the game has the same grindy feel as most other games of the type.
    Still, overall there is fun content and parties make dungeons far more interesting.
    Overall I'd rate it a 7 of 10, if I include guild and friend support.
  • ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I wouldn't be able to do the grind a 2nd time. I have one toon and a bunch for former leadership farmers who's campaigns ended as soon as my 9th leadership slot opened. I have no desire to ever again experience the grind that is the road to end game.