In this post I’d like to report the current bugs with Smolder. This mechanic is supposed to be the first DPS source of thaumaturge wizard, but it’s affected by several bugs.
1) With the Directed Flames Feat on, normal Smolder deals 50% of its total damage instantly when applied, instead of 75%. Nevertheless, Rimefire Smolder correctly deals 75% of its total damage.
2) The Critical Conflagration class feature no longer adds smolder on mob groups with aoe spells. Only The main target gets affected. Area spells like Icy Terrain, Oppressing Force also add smolder on only 1 target (sometimes 2). During mod 16, this class feature was working fine. This is annoying because it forces to add Smolder manually at the beginning of a fight.
3) Fireball (off-tab or tab) doesn’t add Smolder on targets affected by Chill, as do the other fire spells (Scorching Burst, Fanning the Flame and Furious Immolation). If Critical Conflagration is on and you land on a critical, you will add Rimefire Smolder on the main target only (point 2). Because of this issue, Fireball has to be cast prior to cold spells. But this cast will trigger normal Smolder with bugged magnitude when Directed Flames is on (point 1). So, in any situation, Fireball deals less Smolder damage as intended.
4) The Critical Conflagration class feature is supposed to add smolder “whenever you critically strike with one of your powers”. The arcane DOT encounter spells Ray of Enfeeblement and Entangling Force do not trigger Smolder after each critical hit, but only at 1st.
5) With Critical Conflagration on, Smolder triggered by critical hits from Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Repel, Entangling Force and even Chilling Cloud cannot crit.
Please take a look at these issues.
If you have other bugs about Smolder or even Thaumaturge to report in this discussion, feel free to do so.