test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Clerics outdated

sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
edited July 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
Who is started to think that pallies can get the job done better than clerics and be more tanky? Other healing classes also bring more dps as well. Devout clerics just be messing with divnity. Arbitar clerics are still bottom of the list with damage. Can we at least get some help with divinity management on this class?

I hate to say this, but at least give this class a niche after completely changing how it worked previously. Pallies have divinity but i never see them moan, its the clerics which go through hell while managing it and still getting out dp'sed by other classes that spam buttons with cooldowns. Just ridiculous.
Post edited by sobi#1980 on

Comments

• Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    As far as healing goes, it's true Clerics don't offer as much utility as Paladins do. Divinity management isn't bad once you actually get a good feel for the class, even with the M17 balance pass, and we make up for the lack of utility with raw healing power. But that raw healing power is only useful in low to mid level groups. Once you group up with players who know how to minimize the damage they take and correct positioning, then Paladins will out shine a cleric. (I don't play with enough skilled Warlocks to know how they compare, though I know they can do well in the new trial.)

Arbiter Clerics are not at the bottom as far as dps goes. Sure they don't compare to Thaum Wizards, but they easily beat out the Fighter, Barb, and Warlock dps paths and are about even par with Rogues and Rangers. They do have a much higher skill curve than most other classes though, so the average Arbiter will in fact be terrible, but the potential for much better dps is there.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    My cleric has never gotten a date. Spends all his time praying, healing, and making things at his forge.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    sobi#1980 said:

fyrstigor said:

Clerics have the best burst heal.
    Paladins have the best protections
    Warlock have the best heal over time.

They each have their own way of shine. If u like it or not is different.

But have u tried healing on a paladin with a party who needs heals? A party that needs heals so often that u cant get time to trigger crits and the big shields? Its horrible, close to impossible and ur dmg will be horrible cause u have to focus on divinity gain all the time.

On the other hand, if ur party is good and doesnt take much dmg. Healing on a cleric will seam kind of pointless since no real dmg is taken. And then u have lots of time to spend on doing dmg. And manage divinity becomes super easy, and u do more daunting than u do bastions.

Tried healing something like CR on a warlock? With a group that wants to just stand still and soak the flares? Thats not really gonna work either.

Each have their strength and weakness. Each do different in different dungeons. Each do different with each party.

Balance should always be considered at skill ceiling, so we should take into account higher level plays not lower levels where everyone is probably playing mindlessly. Those dungeons are there to prepare you for harder ones.

Pally just outshines cleric where your team has half a brain, and that even whilst being a tank class. No one would want a arbiter cleric as dps when they have wizards, rogue and rangers do it much better with much less effort.

The point wasn't that clerics are bad at their role, but they have lost the niche. I specifically chose this class because of its healing capabilities and as the descriptions says, just to find out that it gets outshined by a tanky class. Yh, spam those heals when they just lost 20% of their health and the rest 80% is wasted and then sit and pray.

Daunting light does minimal damage, you rather just use your at-wills which also never miss.

• Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    If you're running with a brain-dead team all the shields in the world a pally could give won't save you and you'll run out of divinity like the rest. And gawd forbid if the devs ever introduce a real dot mechanic that will slowly kill a party if it isn't cleansed. In cases like that - take the cleric or warlock.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    sobi#1980 said:

Arbitar clerics are still bottom of the list with damage.

I don't agree with that. To be fair, a Cleric probably cannot outdps an equally skilled/geared wizard, but depending on the content, it can match the other classes. The Arbiter suffers a bit when clearing trash, as it has to build up pips, while some other classes may enter combat with a hard-hitting encounter off cooldown, but Arbiters do really well in longer/tougher fights.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    lordnagy#1603 lordnagy Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    > @arazith07 said:

> Arbiter Clerics are not at the bottom as far as dps goes. Sure they don't compare to Thaum Wizards, but they easily beat out the Fighter, Barb, and Warlock dps paths and are about even par with Rogues and Rangers. They do have a much higher skill curve than most other classes though, so the average Arbiter will in fact be terrible, but the potential for much better dps is there.

An Arbiter does not come close to a properly geared melee warden or Assassin. I play all 3 and main the DC.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    adinosii said:

sobi#1980 said:

I don't agree with that. To be fair, a Cleric probably cannot outdps an equally skilled/geared wizard, but depending on the content, it can match the other classes. The Arbiter suffers a bit when clearing trash, as it has to build up pips, while some other classes may enter combat with a hard-hitting encounter off cooldown, but Arbiters do really well in longer/tougher fights.
    Sorry i didn't clarify. I main Arbiter cleric and i dare say that i always top the charts with my damage in dungeons. Single target no cleric will match with wizard or rogue and i can promise you that because i know this class inside out and have tested it with real numbers. In all of the above i am assuming that AC and other classes have the same gear and same skilled player.

Now let me move onto my point. The issue is not that we do less damage. The main issue is how terribly hard it is to do maintain your dps with so much effort and still doing less damage. All of us spend 100's of dollars on this game, the huge overhaul to classes was to make it simpler and balance each class. So in that regards, an arbitar cleric should be compared to other dps classes and should not be treated as (OH) he can go healing route. You're defeating the purpose of this huge overhaul. I chose this class for its healing capabilities but whilst playing the content, i fell in love with the arbiter. Now, i would like to swap to devout now and then, only if it wasn't so brain dead. You wait for your allies to get hurt and spam heals and pray and only to be out shined by other classes. So clerics are the middle man, more so like warlocks that belong in neither category.

I can only ask for clerics since i main this class, and i ask that if AC are unchanged then at least give them more damage than other classes for putting in twice the effort in doing so. Remember, AC is just another DPS class, so please don't come with the excuse that wizards are made to do damage. For example, i can't do the damage of AC and heal at the same time. I will have to choose between them. Same with wizards and rogue, they probably have different builds for different purposes. Oh btw, you can heal as AC but kiss your divinity goodbye and your dps and your healing probably will be minuscule. If all of the above still doesn't sit well with anyone, then make divinity management easier so mistakes are more forgiving and keep our damage as it is.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

> @arazith07 said:

> Arbiter Clerics are not at the bottom as far as dps goes. Sure they don't compare to Thaum Wizards, but they easily beat out the Fighter, Barb, and Warlock dps paths and are about even par with Rogues and Rangers. They do have a much higher skill curve than most other classes though, so the average Arbiter will in fact be terrible, but the potential for much better dps is there.

An Arbiter does not come close to a properly geared melee warden or Assassin. I play all 3 and main the DC.

Sorry but that is what bottom means. Top are wiz, rogue/ranger. I dare say you repeat that we do more damage than a barb! A good barb will annihilate us in damage considering how difficult it is to maintain your dps as AC. I main AC and you can trust me i am not exaggerating. I have a Barb friend who has made guides on his class. He can go tank barb and match damage to equally geared other dps classes easily. Barb also has a high skill cap which most people tend to oversee as you spam a lot in this class xD.

I have seen fighters do good damage and even warlocks but AC beats them but not easily lol. Its again few millions difference. I mean fighters are tanky at the same time so i don't expect them to do more damage. Not so sure about warlocks.
  • Options
    leviatano#7198 leviatano Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The problem is the judjement mechanic: we have to charge a full stack of judjment for EACH skill if we want to maximize our dmg. Plus, we have only 1 decent AoE skill compared to other classes (wiz for example) and less INT, less Crit Severity, and huuuge cooldowns than the top 3 dps classes. And I don't want to mention the absolutely POINTLESS and USELESS spells like Bastion, or some feats (like angel of death), or passives. We really need some love as dps. The arbiter is really fun, but needs some help
  • Options
    leviatano#7198 leviatano Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    in the dc's forum was said by asterdhal that the cleric would've been competitive even with wizards, ranger etc... but for the moment i'm still waiting that. I'm sorry, but especially if you have in group good dps's that bursts mobs and boss phases quickly, the cleric will be too slow and his dmg will be affected
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Well, as I said, as Arbiter, I cannot match the dps of an equally geared/skilled (Thaum) Wizard, but for example in LoMM runs, I may end up in second, 3rd or 4th place, but there is typically not much of a difference in numbers between those places - sometimes I outdps the rangers and rogues - sometimes they outdps me - but a good wizard will be 20% ahead of all of us.

My favourite playstyle is somewhat inefficient - I prefer to play a "ranged" Arbiter, and that means I don't always benefit from CA - the changes in mod 17 to the CA radius will benefit that playstyle significantly. There are also two specific pieces of gear that I am missing, which would have given me a boost - Ebonized raid ring (no luck yet on getting that to drop) and the Envenomed storyteller's journal (missed out on that one, due to a month-long trip.)

So, as far as I am concerned, the Arbiter is in a decent place - and I really enjoy that it is a bit challenging to play well...the need for positioning and divinity management means it is not a "brainless" class.
  • Options

@adinosii I personally find this to be exactly the opposite for me......I am always top dps on trash clearing, but in boss fights rangers and wizards tend to out dps me. if we combined our 2 clerics we could be the greatest dpser of them all :P

Heh. I think our rotations are fundamentally different....so that might be the reason we are seeing different things.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    sobi#1980 said:

All of us spend 100's of dollars on this game

Just no.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    pitshade said:

sobi#1980 said:

All of us spend 100's of dollars on this game

Just no.
    Ignoring the fact that not everyone has spend money on this game let alone 100's, i am asking for balance. What's wrong with that? Have i asked for top dps in any place? Arbiter and all other dps classes should be balance on their damage. Wiz, rogue are not far ahead of barb and even AC and other classes except paladin and fighters. But the issue is that if you go the max dps rotation with AC, you will burn out of divinity fast and managing the divinity is the key to dps'ing with this class. With so much effort, you still do less damage. Factoring in our easily made mistakes, the damage is lessened even more in comparison to others. Just a big fat no to this beautiful dps class.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    adinosii said:

Well, as I said, as Arbiter, I cannot match the dps of an equally geared/skilled (Thaum) Wizard, but for example in LoMM runs, I may end up in second, 3rd or 4th place, but there is typically not much of a difference in numbers between those places - sometimes I outdps the rangers and rogues - sometimes they outdps me - but a good wizard will be 20% ahead of all of us.

My favourite playstyle is somewhat inefficient - I prefer to play a "ranged" Arbiter, and that means I don't always benefit from CA - the changes in mod 17 to the CA radius will benefit that playstyle significantly. There are also two specific pieces of gear that I am missing, which would have given me a boost - Ebonized raid ring (no luck yet on getting that to drop) and the Envenomed storyteller's journal (missed out on that one, due to a month-long trip.)

So, as far as I am concerned, the Arbiter is in a decent place - and I really enjoy that it is a bit challenging to play well...the need for positioning and divinity management means it is not a "brainless" class.

Still the point stands, you will be few millions away from other classes if you go optimal dps build and managing divinity will be hell if you were to dodge everything. Factor in mistakes and you are doing much less than others. I have asked top skill ceiling players of differnet classes to give me their damage per second. So i can at least tell you that rogue will beat you anyday and barb/wiz are close at 2nd position. Note, barb has a tremendous skill ceiling so they can be compared to AC but they also are the best tanks currently in game. Divnity management will stay and the difficulty will stay, all i am asking is better management. So maybe reduce divinity cost on the encounters. Not so much of a change is it? I would target Daunting light because it really shouldn't cost 200 div for such a small circle and slow ability. Damn!
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    fyrstigor said:

Warlock have the best heal over time.

What heal over time you talk of ? Wraith Shadow or Warlocks Bargain? Or do you talk of Microheals like Soul Defiler and Tranfusion tactics -> no HOT's
    The only class that does heal over time effectively is a Devout , warlock has one class feature that pops Lingering Sustain and that HAMSTER Warlock Bargain as far as I can see. Wraith Shadow is broken and heals like ... nothing
    Here a short random RAQ in elol, 9% HOT
    Warlocks Bargain 5.7k average, Lingering Sustain 1.4k average. Warlock power downscaled 111k, Devout 91k

Devout hast got 200mag Hot from Healing Word 500mag, in theory you can renew it endlessly by feat and Persistent Guardian a 500mag HOT (did not proc since noone was in need of a helping hand)

->Devout ... better HOT's
    ->Soulweaver microheals, no HOT´s... Soul Defiler average 18 :/

-> Soulweavers outgoing damage: 43% selfinduced damage ! - paingiver not that much ahead wow

->Soulweavers incoming damage: 62% selfinduced damage- nearly as much as the tank ! nice
    Soul Pact was only casted 2 times, healed 324k, incoming damage 344k ...."ouch" , it dealt more damage to the lock than healing teammates ?? Our only daily that does some healing.

->ah mod 17 is incoming and that daily is still leeching 80% max HP-totaly bugged and useless-, not to dodge and not to avoid, thx cryptic great job, tics 4 times a second instead 1 time

Short question do you run a warlock?
    The best "HOT" ingame is by far a 200-300k barrier anyway , who needs HOT´s ? :astonished:

Warlock have the best way to kill party slowly.

I stick with you, and would like to add something like

Clerics have the best burst heal adn HOT's
    Paladins have the best protections and the best guarantee to skip any boss mechanic and
    Warlock have the best way to kill a party slowly, if not they did kill themself in advance

Warlock is at least a Dot class even though in a negative way concerning Soul Pact
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    adinosii said:

sobi#1980 said:

I'm finding clerics to be ok if not near the bottom on mobs/adds but on single target for bosses OMG my cleric melts stuff. My wizard does good all around damage on all types of stuff.

As for healing, playing as a healer regardless of the class is now super boring; not tedious but boring. I can't run any content as a healer as I fall asleep. It is worst than playing as a healer in DCUO and I didn't player a healer in that game because I fell asleep do to getting bored as a healer. Though healing in that game; at least I could still do damage.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > As for healing, playing as a healer regardless of the class is now super boring; not tedious but boring. I can't run any content as a healer as I fall asleep. It is worst than playing as a healer in DCUO and I didn't player a healer in that game because I fell asleep do to getting bored as a healer. Though healing in that game; at least I could still do damage.

Run Soulweaver to push your adrenalin maybe feat Life Bind on top and you will have "near death feeling" all time
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ll

> @mebengalsfan#9264 said:

> As for healing, playing as a healer regardless of the class is now super boring; not tedious but boring. I can't run any content as a healer as I fall asleep. It is worst than playing as a healer in DCUO and I didn't player a healer in that game because I fell asleep do to getting bored as a healer. Though healing in that game; at least I could still do damage.

Run Soulweaver to push your adrenalin maybe feat Life Bind on top and you will have "near death feeling" all time

adinosii said:

sobi#1980 said:

I'm finding clerics to be ok if not near the bottom on mobs/adds but on single target for bosses OMG my cleric melts stuff. My wizard does good all around damage on all types of stuff.

As for healing, playing as a healer regardless of the class is now super boring; not tedious but boring. I can't run any content as a healer as I fall asleep. It is worst than playing as a healer in DCUO and I didn't player a healer in that game because I fell asleep do to getting bored as a healer. Though healing in that game; at least I could still do damage.

I have done multitude of calculations with single target AC as aoe damage is subjective to how many targets you hit within a certain period.

AC will not beat rogue and wizard in single target damage. You might beat them in AOE if you play absolutely amazing but that will be very infrequent. This is considering that all classes are equally geared and played at skill ceiling. Do note, the only issue is divinity as the above classes do not have to worry about it at all. If AC's were bound to do less damage because hey, they can just play the healer because the game has few of them, then why give them divinity? I love divinity itself as it separates good players from bad but not make it impossible because lets say, you were lucky to get all sudden verdict procs everytime you used your encounters, the other classes will still beat you in ST. Btw all calcs i have done are per second so you can notice even a slight difference in damage. Right now a nearly fully geared AC will do around 90k damage per second. My Barb friend has already done 92k.
  • Options
    sobi#1980 said:

I have done multitude of calculations with single target AC as aoe damage is subjective to how many targets you hit within a certain period.

AC will not beat rogue and wizard in single target damage. You might beat them in AOE if you play absolutely amazing but that will be very infrequent.

Well, this is the opposite to what I am seeing - I agree with @mebengalsfan#9264 here.
  • Options
    adinosii said:

sobi#1980 said:

AC will not beat rogue and wizard in single target damage. You might beat them in AOE if you play absolutely amazing but that will be very infrequent.

Well, this is the opposite to what I am seeing - I agree with @mebengalsfan#9264 here.
    AC is great on single target and if you get that window where your at half divinity, all the pips and get a critical hit with FF you can land a hit similar to Ice Knife in damage. Wizard encounter damage are all smaller ticks but a Cleric damage from FF and Daunting Light care stronger hits that take a bit to build up to ensure you get those bigger harder hits. I try to keep divinity at half and use FF regularly. I'm usually destroyed on adds but on bosses I play catch up all do to how hard FF hits. I have seen FF hit for over a 1M a few times now. I have seen Ice Knife only hit that hard maybe 2-3 times now. My cleric also has 30K less power than my wizard.

Overall I like the damage dealer changes to the cleric; in fact I wish I would have kept my cleric as my main but I gave everything to my wizard.

The problem I'm having atm is just playing in general. I am bored of MEs, LoMM, older content doesn't interest me as I have nothing really to aim for on my wizard, and the summer fest ends tomorrow and that is the lone thing currently keeping me playing. I guess after the summer fest I will be taking an extended break other than logging into the game for my daily key.
  • Options
    adinosii said:

sobi#1980 said:

It is actually very simple. We can quickly do the maths. ST build focuses on FF whilst the AOE on SJ. That's very obvious, right?

FF has 600mag and 1200 at full pips
    SJ has 360 mag and 720 at full pips.

Therefore if you simply target more 2 targets with SJ you will be doing 720 x 2 = 1440mag
    With one cast of FF you can do a maximum of 1200mag damage.

All in all, you have to target 2 mobs with SJ to outdamage your single target build. That is a walk in the park.

If you are saying that we beat wiz/rogue in ST dps, then all my calculations were based on all the ST builds. So it is not the matter of what you see.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    sobi#1980 said:

adinosii said:

sobi#1980 said:

It is actually very simple. We can quickly do the maths. ST build focuses on FF whilst the AOE on SJ. That's very obvious, right?

FF has 600mag and 1200 at full pips
    SJ has 360 mag and 720 at full pips.

Therefore if you simply target more 2 targets with SJ you will be doing 720 x 2 = 1440mag
    With one cast of FF you can do a maximum of 1200mag damage.

All in all, you have to target 2 mobs with SJ to outdamage your single target build. That is a walk in the park.

If you are saying that we beat wiz/rogue in ST dps, then all my calculations were based on all the ST builds. So it is not the matter of what you see.
    What I like about my cleric is that the way I have it setup is that I can do both AoE and single target with one loadout. No need to swap encounter or loadouts like I have to do on my wizard or Fighter. With how my cleric is setup I use SJ and DL for my AoE and on single target I use FF and DL. Depending upon the pip stacks I have I may simply pray to consume them to build up divinity or I may use them for more damage with DL; I barely use DL as the damage is not all that great unless you have max stacks and the buff that comes from SJ or FF.

As for beating other classes I don't think the cleric is top damage dealer; however, they do really well on ST compared to their AoE damage when compared to other classes like a wizard or even a fighter.

• Options

sobi#1980 said:

adinosii said:

What I like about my cleric is that the way I have it setup is that I can do both AoE and single target with one loadout. No need to swap encounter or loadouts like I have to do on my wizard or Fighter. With how my cleric is setup I use SJ and DL for my AoE and on single target I use FF and DL. Depending upon the pip stacks I have I may simply pray to consume them to build up divinity or I may use them for more damage with DL; I barely use DL as the damage is not all that great unless you have max stacks and the buff that comes from SJ or FF.

As for beating other classes I don't think the cleric is top damage dealer; however, they do really well on ST compared to their AoE damage when compared to other classes like a wizard or even a fighter.

I play exactly the same way. But from the maths above, to optimise your damage, you must use SJ build when you are not fighting a boss. However, i have noticed that our AOE build can beat wiz/rogue easily because of how easy it is to use SJ in comparison to using like an AOE circle. SJ has a good splash when maxed out on pips and travels 85ft. That's a gigantic area with 720mag damage to every one inside it.