test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lair of the Mad Mage - How to handle the bosses (Guide)

2»

Comments

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    fogcrow said:

@obsidiancran3

ty for your answers^^.

Regarding 2) well...I was once on DC healer(with lots of power and +outgoing healing comps), someone got cocooned, his hp bar looked full, so I assume we´re working against a hidden number...since intercession was on CD I landed 3 Bastions of health just in case...apparently it wasn´t enough...
    since that hidden number is enough healing to get a player from zero to full health, it means the devs have built one boss fight, where building the characters(esp. tanks) right for the whole rest of the game, including the rest of said dungeon, works against us...such awful game design

As a person who mains tank and is frustrated by a few things relevant to my preferred class, things I repeatedly called out during play test, I’m not about to disagree. Arcturia in particular punishes tanks on multiple fronts.
    fogcrow said:

Regarding Arcturias mimic phases: are they triggered only on thresholds of her HP, or also by time elapsed? If its hp tresholds, wouldn´t it make sense to kill thouse butterfly golems in order to play it safe, if one lane is struggling, but the parties total dps is high enough?

The mimics themselves spawn faster the faster you kill them. So a really good DPS can kill 3 faster than the tank+healer will kill 2.

Arcturia’s immunity phases are both HP based (see original post) and timered. So if you are struggling to DPS her down you get more mimic phases, and also more cocoon phases.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • fogcrowfogcrow Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    ty^^
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    fogcrow said:

@obsidiancran3

ty for your answers^^.

Regarding 2) well...I was once on DC healer(with lots of power and +outgoing healing comps), someone got cocooned, his hp bar looked full, so I assume we´re working against a hidden number...since intercession was on CD I landed 3 Bastions of health just in case...apparently it wasn´t enough...
    since that hidden number is enough healing to get a player from zero to full health, it means the devs have built one boss fight, where building the characters(esp. tanks) right for the whole rest of the game, including the rest of said dungeon, works against us...such awful game design

I've seen 1 case where a fully healed (or so we all thought) person was cocooned and died. So now even if they appear to be at full health I toss a few heals at them anyhow. I've also seen one case where after someone was cocooned Arcturia dropped a red AoE attack on top of them ... which was pretty much impossible to out heal. But aside from these cases, usually if you heal someone to what looks like full health on their health bar, they will be fine.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Also good to watch that you fight her between the mimic paths. Stops her dropping butterflies in the path.

I died in cocoon last night because heals got stunned while healing me, so sometimes HAMSTER happens. (Still completed because she was under 1/4 health.)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • valyanavalyana Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    It seems that there are always mimic phases at 80% and 50% HP. Between 80% and 60% HP, there's another mimic phase exactly 30s after the last one ended. So save up encounters and dailies for the first mimic phase, but then it's important to get Arcturia down below 60% (the first thin line to the right of her nameplate). Once she's below 60%, you probably want to slow down DPS a bit to get ready for the 50% mimic phase, especially if you just came out of a timed mimic phase: triggering the 50% phase when someone's cocooned will bury you in golems.

On Trobriand, it's important for the tank to aim him at a scorp as soon as they appear so that you can start taking them out one at a time, before the inner ring electrifies and wakes up all the remaining scorps.
  • valyanavalyana Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Is there actually any way to avoid Trobriand's Electric Storm after the pillars are gone? Waiting by the pillar doesn't seem to help. It has base damage of ~500k at half charge, so everyone should have over 250k HP to survive without deflecting. Or plan to get some blue or yellow temporary HP somehow, like from Oathkeeper heals or Swift Golden Lion or Wheel: Earth, and/or reduce the damage with abilities like Justicar Divine Palisade.

Palm Blast does base 814k, so the tank should have over 400k. Though it charges up for 5 seconds, so there's plenty of time to block.
  • cherryman1cherryman1 Member Posts: 348 Arc User

WARNING! Spoilers Ahead!

This is a quick guide on how to beat each of the three bosses in LotMM (Legit, no exploits here). These may not be the only tactics which work, but they are the ones our alliance (Evolvent Alliance) has used repeatedly to bring down each of these bosses. Enjoy!

A few notes first -

Ideal party is a tank, 3 DPS and a Cleric. There are "DPS checks" within the dungeon so I recommend your DPS be around 21-22K,

There are chests within the dungeon - OPEN THEM. There is a chance for them to drop some cool vanity pets. If one person opens and gets the pet the entire party will apparently be awarded the pet.

I'm not going to detail the mobs between bosses - they really aren't anything special, just slaughter them as you wish on your way to the bosses.

First Boss - Arcturia

Arcturia is the hardest boss in the dungeon and getting past her requires quite a bit of teamwork. As the fight opens, she will fly around and start attacking the party. She's tough, but manageable at this point and you will beat on her until she is down to 85% health or so. At this point she will move back to the center of the arena and become invincible. Pillars of butterflies will appear at each of the 4 corners of the center fountain and mimics will start to charge out of the corners of the arena towards the butterflies. At this point, it's a good idea to have already assigned each DPS a corner of the room (The tank and healer combine to handle the 4th corner). You MUST kill the mimics before they reach the central fountain or they will turn into Butterfly Golems. The Golems hit hard and have a staggering number of hit points. Your group may be able to handle having 1 or 2 of them about, but if you miss any significant number of mimics, they will quickly overwhelm you. Anywhere from 2 to 5 mimics appear to spawn from each "lane". Once the mimics are finished, Arcturia will start moving again and you may resume beating on her. This mimic phase will repeat during the fight, so be prepared to run to your designated corners (It helps alot to decide before the fight who is handling which corner, they are color coded).

Arcturia has a couple of special attacks she can use during the fight (usually at the most inconvenient times for your party). One is a red circle that forms under a player's feet and follows them around. Like similar ones in CODG or SVA, move away from your party before the attack goes off. She also can cocoon a single player to the ground. If this happens, that player needs to say something in chat (Usually "ME") and the party needs to move quickly away from them as they are about to explode. One the person has exploded, the healer moves in and rezes and heals them with a power such as Intercession.

Second Boss - The Boreworm

The second boss is a modified Purple Worm, and for the most part fights alot like one. As the fight begins move in and attack. Watch out as he usually opens up with a spinning knockback attack. After a short while of beating on him he will retreat underground and the terrain will start to move towards the center of the arena where the worm was. You need to quickly move AWAY from the center (if you are caught in the center, you will be killed). Also at this point boulders will appear and start moving towards the center. Each boulder that moves towards the center charges up the worm, so destroy them (they have almost no HP, so any attack will break the boulder). It's handy to have at least several members of the party slotting a ranged at-will at this point for boulder breaking. After a minute or so this stops and the worm returns, but now he has several new attacks. Large red areas will now start to form and he will have a "hypothermia" like attack (Multiple arrows pointing at one player). Have the party get close to him and group up, them as red circles form move clockwise around the worm, attacking and avoiding red until the large red circles stop. Abuse the worm some more until he again retreats underground and the terrain starts moving towards the center of the arena (Again, do not get caught in the center). This time in addition to boulders there will be constructs as well. Destroy the bounders and try to NOT hit the constructs. After a minute or so the worm will return and any constructs you have hit will remain as well to fight you. At this point, just slaughter them all and finish the fight.

Final Boss - Trobriand

Oddly, the last boss is the easiest in my opinion, however this dight does contain a DPC check and if your party is marginal on DPS, it may simply be impossible for you to win this one. At the beginning of the fight, its just Trobriand. Let the tank get agro and have the rest of the party gather behind him for combat advantage and start beating on him. At various times he will summon several large metal scorpions to assist him. Kill these quickly as they actually do more damage than the boss does. The boss also has an attack where he can "Polarize" two players - one will get a "+" above them, the other a "-" above them and electricity will appear to connect them and try to pull them together. This is alot like Castle Never's "Green bands" - pull against it and do not hit the other player.

After roughly 2/3rds of his health are gone Trobriand will move to the side and start to "recharge". At this point you need to destroy the four towers around the arena (They look like giant tesla coils .. something from a mad scientists lab). I recommend having the party all start at one and destroy it, then move around the outside of the arena together to destroy each one in turn. This is timed and if Trobriand's charge gets to 100% its a wipe. Once the last tower is destroyed Trobriand will move back to the center of the arena. Wait a moment before rushing back in, he will set off a nasty electrical attack. After the attack, move in and finish him off.

Loot the chests and pat yourself on the back, you have just finished lair of the Mad Mage!

Thanks to Chaldo for figuring all of this out, and to Curry, BetDatHuurt and Spartan for putting up with my healing :-)

Great high level view of the fight. You are missing some things and eventually when i am done will add some of the things that trigger the events in the fight. Good base guide.
    Guild Leader: Under the Influence
    Yule (Barb): 72k : Siren (TR): 78k : Torun (DC): 73k : Siren OP (OP): 76k : Siren SW (SW): 78k : Modern (F): 80k : Cherry1 (CW) : 68k Siren HR (HR): 78k
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

WARNING! Spoilers Ahead!
    Final Boss - Trobriand

The boss also has an attack where he can "Polarize" two players - one will get a "+" above them, the other a "-" above them and electricity will appear to connect them and try to pull them together. This is alot like Castle Never's "Green bands" - pull against it and do not hit the other player.

Thanks to Chaldo for figuring all of this out, and to Curry, BetDatHuurt and Spartan for putting up with my healing :-)

Small quibble - it's also possible to for a pair of connected players to get the *same* symbol. If that happens, the players actually need to move as close to each other as possible. Being far apart leads to a knockback that will put them into the rings (and take damage on the way back into the fight).

Otherwise, really great guide - and if you finished the dungeon, it means your healing was fine. ;-)
  • kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    cdnbison said:

Small quibble - it's also possible to for a pair of connected players to get the *same* symbol. If that happens, the players actually need to move as close to each other as possible. Being far apart leads to a knockback that will put them into the rings (and take damage on the way back into the fight).

Otherwise, really great guide - and if you finished the dungeon, it means your healing was fine. ;-)

Thanks. I wrote this the morning after the dungeon went live and it was based on our experiences getting through it the previous night. Since then I've learned quite a bit more and people had added more information to it in this thread. I'll probably update the original post at some point with all the new information.

As for my healing .... I'm amazed any of us lived as that was the first time I had tried healing anything at level 80 ...
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • farhannaje#7907 farhannaje Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    As a DC devout you could with Exaltation (20% more heals) + Blessing of Light (10% more heals) then go for Bastion of Health for extra healing. I have healed with just bastion OP with 600k+ HP (4 quick bastions). Intercession is handy if find hard to spot cocoon or your slow at casting or targeting bastion in early runs. But after doing some runs you will get your timing right and will be prepared so intercession will feel like unnecessary and just waste of slot. Save daily [Guardian of Faith] for mimics as cocoon once u get it right is not that hard. Having golems can make matter worst with block and control on tanks and healer.

But using bastion often can drain divinity and charging in Acturia fight is risk as constant dmg to tank (Draining Brambles ,Life Drain, Festering Swarm hits hard) and disabling AOEs. So divine glow is extremely good at keeping your divinity up.
  • some1stolemynicknamesome1stolemynickname Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    I haven't gotten my cleric that far yet (an alt), but the encounters I usually use are Divine Glow (for divinity charging) + Exaltation (not only more heals but more damage too) + Bastion of Health. If I find I don't need to heal the party as much during a fight I swap out Glow for Geas.

Not only does Geas do a good chunk of damage, but also lowers the damage of the target by 5%. For LoMM I'd most likely go with Geas since that 5% might be enough to save someone, and it's good for an emergency kill on a mimic.
  • lluid#5832 lluid Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Three things about Arcturia's fight :
    1) Mimics move very fast sometimes : did anyone find a way to avoid that ? (especially the 1st wave, but not always)
    2) Also the cocoon does damage based on the number of players in a radius of the cocoon : move away from it.
    3) Friends told me to cleanse the cocoon, to avoid the one-shot. Doesn't seem reliable, or maybe I sometimes cleanse another debuff on the player.
  • oqupo#0811 oqupo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I do LoMM meanwhile several times daily with a dc as arbiter (dps) and devout (heal), gf as tank and a sw as dps.
    As most of the fights I join in to req random parties since day one, I've seen a lot causes, that makes the party to fail.
    Here are some assorted tips for Arcturia that might help you to succeed.

DPS:
    - First of all: Let the tank start the fight!
    - As a dps you really need the 67k armor penetration and accuarcy. With less then 60k you will do less then 80% of the damage you could. That means you get a hard time to kill mimics. You need to do about 500k of damage in a very short time. If one dps fails on killing the mimics, your party will likely not pass this boss.
    - Dont try to kill golems, you might cc them if it's easy, but keep your focus on boss and mimics.
    - Spare your best single-target skills for the mimics. Put your best power (daily) on the first mimic first. If all die about half the way you wont need to do another mimic. The mimics are linked together, as faster as the party kills them, as faster the phase ends.
    - If you aren't yet experienced, use only your at-wills for the boss as long as Arcturia got more then 50% hp. Keep in mind, in the first half of the fight, all others need time to build up ap and get rid of encounter cds for the next mimics. It doesn't really help if you try to burst Arcturia down.
    - If you are a ranged dps, staying close to your corner gives you the chance to kill the first mimic faster.
    - You can slow down the mimic by standing in its way, if crit luck is just missing...
    - After the mimics always one is getting a cocoon. Sometimes immediately, sometimes Arcturia finish one of her threefold skills before she pulls the mimic close to her. Keep your eyes open and get far away from that cocoon. If you get cocoon type something in party chat (not queue chat). That chat bubble can be seen better by others then they grey cocoon. Below 50% boss hp, the cocoon can happen any time.
    - If you get boss aggro (a red bar over your name) stop damage and get close to your tank. In most cases that happens cause the tank died, or he just isn't attacking enough. The tank has only some spots for attacks, at some times he needs to hide behind his shield, so he will have it not easy to get the aggro back, if you keep on attacking or running away. Be sure, if you don't get rid of that aggro, you will die.

Tank:
    - I only play as a fighter tank and this class lacks a single-target daily. Together with the -10% dps and stats you invested in def for damage, you have a hard time to kill the mimics alone. If that is not enough, along with fighting the mimics, you get boss attacks that some kind of root you to the spot you get it. You then feel like be bounded to a rubberband. Talk to your healer beforehand so he/she can slot in one encounter or use his/her daily to help you.
    - There are 3 skills that are Arcturias main rotation:
    One is when she puts a visible stream on you. This doesn't hurt much, you dont need a shield and its the perfect time to attack and build up aggro.
    The second you can identify is, when she box/throws some magic power on you in a threefold way: Left hand, right hand, both hands. You can stand this easy too, I keep on attacking while she does that.
    Draining bumbles are the ones that will really hurt as someone stated in this threat. As fighter you want to shield, better dig in to avoid as much damage as you can. Visibile it is in clouds of dark roots around you. Arcturia throws them by lifting left hand, right hand and both hands. If you dont mitigate this damage your healer will soon run out of resources or you die, as all 3 together easy kill a 500k hp tank!
    - Watch out for green poison clouds, especially after first mimics. These drain slow your hp down and more important those of melee dps near you. Get out of it.
    - Have one skill slotted that pushes you on top of the thread list. If you die and revived, this is the first thing you need to do asap or one of your party members will die. Keep an eye on the aggro meter, the red bar over your name and those of the other players. Get aggro asap back, if you loose it.

Healer:
    - Your main target is your tank. He should not die or you get in trouble. It's good if you have improved your outgoing healing with eg companion feats and/or using the skills to buff that.
    - When it comes to mimics, help your tank to kill them. You may need to use your daily for that, so don't spent it for healing or on boss as long as you aren't sure, your tank can do the mimics alone.
    - After the mimics always one is getting a cocoon. Sometimes immediately, sometimes Arcturia finish one of her threefold skills before she pulls the mimic in her direction. If the player is far away, he may lay half the way, so not close to Arcturia. Your job is, to heal the cocoon to 100% life. 99% is not enough. As you cannot see that for sure with the hp bar, better put one heal more on it. You may survive near the cocoon, but it's more certain if you get away from it before the explosion. After the bang heal the player if needed.
    - In the second half of the fight, Arcturia has a blinding skill visible by a orange eye over her like you may know of spellplaque. Look away, if you as a healer get stunned, inform your team in chat.