test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scaling isn't working right (image included) lower GS = higher stats?

x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
edited May 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
So I was grouped with this person in Spellplague (me 22k IL him 19k IL) and I noticed they were consistently doing around 20% more damage than me. Now of course there are class based differences and play style differences ect. But my weapon enchant was 4 ranks higher (me Vorpal them Fey Touched) and my bondings were 4 ranks higher(13 vs 9). So I decided to compare our stats, I only have these two screenshots I quickly took but trust me the unshown stats are equally confusing.

I know that in unscaled content my stats are much higher than theirs but in scaled content they have higher stats?

This can't be working as intended, right?

https://ibb.co/nfjHS22

Edited:

Just for the record, I am not mad that said person did more damage than me. The fact they were doing so much more damage than me was simply what caused me to compare.

I'm wondering why stats were assigned the way they were.

If anything this is meant to be a bug report.
Post edited by x10110100 on

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    It is currently WaI, we get told, unless there are still zones not caught up yet.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    x10110100 said:

This can't be working as intended, right?

Oh, it is working as intended, all right. It doesn't matter if you have R13 or R9 bondings - they get downscaled to the same level. Also, some L70 gear is just much better in downscaled content than BiS L80 gear.

Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    I'll assume you guys are being semi-sarcastic at Cryptics well deserved expense.

This person has nearly double my defense and my critical strike, that can't be working as intended.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    It is. There is a comment made by @nitocris83 somewhere that when you get scaled down you are not supposed to be at cap for the lower content.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    greywynd, I understand that I shouldn't be capped.

But, there is no reason they should have nearly double my stats regardless of IL.

If scaling was working correctly we should end up with similar stats/potential or the person with the higher IL having slightly more potential. That's not what happened here.
  • Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    x10110100 said:

But, there is no reason they should have nearly double my stats regardless of IL.

If scaling was working correctly we should end up with similar stats/potential or the person with the higher IL having slightly more potential. That's not what happened here.

There are certain things which are not affected by scaling.

The items that are affected by scaling that I know of are: weapon enchantments, player enchantments, companion runestones, bonding runestones and some gear. In effect, these items are capped, so in a scaled level 70 zone, anything above e.g. R7-8 is capped. Hence a person with R7-8 enchants (including weapon enchantments) will be exactly the same as you. I've written it up here.

I'll leave you to figure out what isn't scaled (i.e. capped). Also, there may be a bug where people can summon multiple pets, enhancing their stats even further than normal, although I haven't worked that one out and really have no intention to.

From your pic, it doesn't look like his stats are too inflated, so I don't think he is using the multiple pet bug (intentionally or inadvertently). Rather, I think he is obtaining his critical chance from items which are not affected by scaling, which is entirely (legitimately) possible.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    x10110100 said:

I'll assume you guys are being semi-sarcastic at Cryptics well deserved expense.

Totally serious. It is an extremely bad design, but it is most certainly "working as intended" - that is, working exactly as it should do, according to the design.

• Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    I'd think mostly what @Vordayn is saying there. Plus, it looks like overall, they have a few items which are lower/closer to 70 than yours, and so those items are not getting scaled down as much as your own.

Apparently each individual item is scaled separately based on some formula possibly known by Cryptic, but more likely tossed in at random during the preview stage and left that way.

It might be interesting to compare your own stats, one with your current build, and one where you toss on a bunch of level 70 stuff, and see how much that gets scaled.
  • Options
    vordayn said:

x10110100 said:

The items that are affected by scaling that I know of are: weapon enchantments, player enchantments, companion runestones, bonding runestones and some gear. In effect, these items are capped, so in a scaled level 70 zone, anything above e.g. R7-8 is capped. Hence a person with R7-8 enchants (including weapon enchantments) will be exactly the same as you. I've written it up here.

I'll leave you to figure out what isn't scaled (i.e. capped). Also, there may be a bug where people can summon multiple pets, enhancing their stats even further than normal, although I haven't worked that one out and really have no intention to.

From your pic, it doesn't look like his stats are too inflated, so I don't think he is using the multiple pet bug (intentionally or inadvertently). Rather, I think he is obtaining his critical chance from items which are not affected by scaling, which is entirely (legitimately) possible.
    The only things he had equipped that wasn't Undermountain gear was [Sigil of the Warlock] [Token of Chromatic Storm] [Wheel of Elements] [Shard of Orcus' Wand] [Demogorgon's Girdle of Might] [Baphomet's Infernal Talisman].

In total those items provide 2120 Critical Strike he had 26,243 more critical strike than me so where did the other 24,123 CS come from as well as the extra 28,830 defense?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    x10110100 said:

vordayn said:

x10110100 said:

The only things he had equipped that wasn't Undermountain gear was [Sigil of the Warlock] [Token of Chromatic Storm] [Wheel of Elements] [Shard of Orcus' Wand] [Demogorgon's Girdle of Might] [Baphomet's Infernal Talisman].

In total those items provide 2120 Critical Strike he had 26,243 more critical strike than me so where did the other 24,123 CS come from as well as the extra 28,830 defense?

Companion effects (offense/defense/utility), mount powers (epic/legendary) and insignias, runestones, guild boons (e.g. defense) are all things you don't see on the character sheet.

You could easily have a differential of +20k of any stat with the correct choices of the items listed above.
    For example, with a Black Dragon Ioun stone at Epic you get +6000 Crit, and a Legendary Pet you get +10,000 Crit. See here for companion bonuses.

Was this also a static screenshot? Sometimes certain mount bonuses will show up only when in use. Some Warlock powers also contribute to defense (infernal spheres comes to mind, though haven't tested if it shows up as a stat, or just works behind the scenes); I'm not sure about powers which contribute to critical strike however.

Plus, looking at both of your armor penetration stat, if you have the Stables Guild Boon, you could use this instead of power to optimise your Armor Pen before Power during scaled instances.

I personally think the way they scale is stupid, because it is more akin to blanket capping. It should be a progressive scaling method rather than a glass ceiling method.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    x10110100 said:

Different distribution from Artifacts? Companions? mount bonuses? insignia bonuses? guild boons? Different things get downscaled differently, so it matters a lot where your points come from.

I have a high-end build with 140K power and most stats (except CA) at, or near the cap. When I first got downscaled, I went from 69K ArPen to 27K. I had to set up a special "downscaled" logout where I shifted stuff around, and managed to get my offensive stats up to 53K or so ...good enough for the downscaled content

I wrote a long post about scaling issues here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/13102337 (page 5, half-way down). As I said, I consider the design stupid, and my reaction is just to simply avoid any downscaled content except Challenge Campaigns, and have a special loadout for those).
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    You guys are making really broad assumptions I can not refute with two screenshots. But I am going to say the odds that this gentle person who basically can't even afford to upgrade their items past purple and was using a purple companion has a legendary mount and five perfectly suited legendary companions... that grant 28k defense and 26k critical strike LOL.

And of course I understand there are mount insignias and companion bonuses but to assume my build is so utterly broken compared to his when I have more than 3k IL higher than his seems incorrect. But if you want to give the benefit of the doubt to the scaling system over my experience as a Caturday Survivor that's certainly an option.

P.S. This isn't an issue of who did more damage, I don't care about that. And the picture was taken while we were standing idle.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    x10110100 said:

You guys are making really broad assumptions I can not refute with two screenshots. But I am going to say the odds that this gentle person who basically can't even afford to upgrade their items past purple and was using a purple companion has a legendary mount and five perfectly suited legendary companions... that grant 28k defense and 26k critical strike LOL.

And of course I understand there are mount insignias and companion but to assume my build is so utterly broken compared to his when I have more than 3k IL higher than his seems incorrect. But if you want to give the benefit of the doubt to the scaling system over my experience as a Caturday Survivor that's certainly an option.

P.S. This isn't an issue of who did more damage, I don't care about that. And the picture was taken while we were standing idle.

In a scaled 70 zone:

Your enchantments above Rank 8 are scaled to Rank 8 (even weapon enchantments). So just because you had "Vorpal 4 levels higher" means nothing because it becomes a Rank 8 enchantment. Your IL means little.

He has a better spread of stats because he seems to know which items are not scaled and is pumping up those stats instead.

Look to see what is or isn't scaled and you'll be able to work it out yourself.

And yes, your screenshot does not show the whole picture, and as @adinosii said, it doesn't mean that it is not WAI; even though I am not happy with the way things are scaled, that is how the devs are currently making it work.
  • Options
    baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    The other thing he may be doing is overcapping on some stats. I refuse to do that myself. But my practical mind is telling me to avoid old content until they figure out that from a practical standpoint, making old content harder than new content is just going to drive away players. At least in Mod 6, they figured it out. It only took 6 months.
    Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
    Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
    Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
    JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
    Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.
  • Options
    x10110100 said:

You guys are making really broad assumptions

Not making assumptions...but we have been studying how the downscaling works. It is pretty idiotic, but what you are seeing is not unusual. When I get home from work, I'll post 3 screenshots - with my unscaled stats, those stats when downscaled, and my reworked (and much higher) downscaled stats, which I got from switching things around and (in some cases) switching to (supposedly) worse gear.

I'm not saying there might not be some bug there somewhere, but this is just how the design works, and what everyone is seeing.
  • Options
    motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    The devs think scaling (or rather capping) is working great.
    It is working exactly as they envisioned (WAI), but this does not mean that their vision is "good" or "sensible"

Practically all players agree (and this is extremely rare) that their "vision" for scaling is outright stupid, kills progressions, is counter-intuitive, is essentially not predictable, etc. etc. etc.

You are baffled? We are too. But despite what the players say, Cryptic thinks its great.
    They might change their mind, if they must (because sales and revenue drop dramatically).
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Just pointing out things that could possibly affect the difference. Not saying your build or his build is worse, or that scaling isn't broken. Scaling is definitely broken.

I took my own character, with two sets of gear, Vistani(70) vs Red Feather(80), into the Neverdeath level 30 scaled area, and compared stats. Same mounts, same insignias etc etc. Some stats that started lower on one build got scaled higher than the other build. Some stats were different in the two builds, but got scaled to almost the exact same number. Etc.

So, just to be clear, the problem is an issue with the scaling. We're just pointing out that different things get scaled differently (level 70 gear vs 80 gear, in a 70 zone) for instance, and the other things (buffs, companion bonuses etc.), as a possible source of some of the difference.

Certainly, in my mind, having two roughly similar characters end up where the one with the lesser gear has higher stats and does more damage, is clear evidence that scaling is broken. However, until 50,000 players prove this to Cryptic by leaving for other games, apparently solid evidence does not mean any such thing to them. As far as they are concerned, scaling is a success and working to achieve whatever cryptic goals they meant it to.

I mean, what strategic value, really, is there in saying "Now that you are higher level and have gotten better gear, we are going to make old content harder for you than it originally was. Or than it is for a lower char with lesser gear. Because lower players should outperform higher players in lower content."

This is pretty much an insane view of character progression, and achieves no actual gameplay or player value, and actually hurts Cryptic's own business model by discouraging progression and decreasing the relative value of doing things like upgrading your enchantments.

But TBH, that sort of decision making is nothing new at Cryptic.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Scaling

Just pointing out things that could possibly affect the difference. Not saying your build or his build is worse, or that scaling isn't broken. Scaling is definitely broken.

I took my own character, with two sets of gear, Vistani(70) vs Red Feather(80), into the Neverdeath level 30 scaled area, and compared stats. Same mounts, same insignias etc etc. Some stats that started lower on one build got scaled higher than the other build. Some stats were different in the two builds, but got scaled to almost the exact same number. Etc.

So, just to be clear, the problem is an issue with the scaling. We're just pointing out that different things get scaled differently (level 70 gear vs 80 gear, in a 70 zone) for instance, and the other things (buffs, companion bonuses etc.), as a possible source of some of the difference.

Certainly, in my mind, having two roughly similar characters end up where the one with the lesser gear has higher stats and does more damage, is clear evidence that scaling is broken. However, until 50,000 players prove this to Cryptic by leaving for other games, apparently solid evidence does not mean any such thing to them. As far as they are concerned, scaling is a success and working to achieve whatever cryptic goals they meant it to.

I mean, what strategic value, really, is there in saying "Now that you are higher level and have gotten better gear, we are going to make old content harder for you than it originally was. Or than it is for a lower char with lesser gear. Because lower players should outperform higher players in lower content."

This is pretty much an insane view of character progression, and achieves no actual gameplay or player value, and actually hurts Cryptic's own business model by discouraging progression and decreasing the relative value of doing things like upgrading your enchantments.

But TBH, that sort of decision making is nothing new at Cryptic.

This mod is just as bad as what happened with mod 6. This means that Cryptic did not learn from their prior mistakes.

Scaling is working as intended, let me try to explain this...

You have level 80 gear and that gear provides X stats. Well long term we will get more level 80 gear with higher stats and that means the current level 80 gear is probably closer to level 65 gear when in level 70 zones, making current level 80 gear in about 90% of the content available to player worth less than level 70 gear. Therefore if you can achieve the stats needed for level 80 content with level 70 gear do so as you will not be hindered as bad when going into level 70 zones.

Now onto enchantments, like level 80 gear our enchantments, even at max ranking are not the true maximum long term we will get from level 80 content. Therefore we are being penalized now for having maxing out our character enchantments and runestones in level 70 content.

Scaling simply takes away the enjoyment players get from building up their character and seeing improvement. Scaling is worst IMO than stat clamping. Stat clamping has also a negative feeling to it as once you surpass a specific zone allowed stat you cannot raise your stats in that zone no matter what you do. Clamping at least allows players the ability to max out stat without the fear of scaling coming into play and impacting them negatively do to long term plans of the game vs. the game current state.

I rather the devs simply remove scaling to see how it impacts the game. Removing scaling, even if for a short time, would allow PC players to check out content and see how the game plays without all the buffs and debuffs. The removal of those alone should help the game out and make content a bit more challenging.

Another thing to consider is reducing the stats we get from the gear, this would improve the need to use multi-stat enchantments.

From what I can tell the devs don't play the game and any code developed seems to lack proper testing to ensure it is working.

If this mess hits console there will be a bigger exist of player and the bottom line is that Cryptic will be impacted financially if scaling is not resolved before mod 16 hits consoles.
  • Options

I actually do understand what the problem is I was just highlighting how it's working in game. I understand it's caused by the fact that items aren't scaled correctly and I think most of the people who seemingly disagree with me actually agree that the current system is broken. In no real situation should Player A go in with higher base stats than Player B but end up with lower stats when scaled. I also understand that according to Cryptic this is WAI.

Perhaps when I originally said "This can't be working as intended, right?" I should have been more clear and not sarcastic.

If [Player A] has 100 stat X at level 80 and [Player B] has 50 stat X at level 70 they should both have 75'ish Stat X or [Player A] should have 80'ish and [Player B] should have 70'ish.

Heck I would even prefer a simplified cap system.

Not like now where [Player A] has 100 [Player B] has 50 and they end up with [Player A] at 25 and [Player B] at 75 (because he used an unscaled item).

I also agree that this is counter productive, this situation doesn't "feel good" it doesn't make me want to play more it makes me want to play less and if you have a person with less investment outperforming someone with greater investment doesn't really encourage either people to want to invest more.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    x10110100 said:

I actually do understand what the problem is I was just highlighting how it's working in game. I understand it's caused by the fact that items aren't scaled correctly and I think most of the people who seemingly disagree with me actually agree that the current system is broken. In no real situation should Player A go in with higher base stats than Player B but end up with lower stats when scaled. I also understand that according to Cryptic this is WAI.

Perhaps when I originally said "This can't be working as intended, right?" I should have been more clear and not sarcastic.

If [Player A] has 100 stat X at level 80 and [Player B] has 50 stat X at level 70 they should both have 75'ish Stat X or [Player A] should have 80'ish and [Player B] should have 70'ish.

Heck I would even prefer a simplified cap system.

Not like now where [Player A] has 100 [Player B] has 50 and they end up with [Player A] at 25 and [Player B] at 75 (because he used an unscaled item).

I also agree that this is counter productive, this situation doesn't "feel good" it doesn't make me want to play more it makes me want to play less and if you have a person with less investment outperforming someone with greater investment doesn't really encourage either people to want to invest more.

Bioware screwed themselves really hard with Anthem. Mod 16 for NWO is a bigger broken mess. I stopped playing anthem once I reach end game and had almost all legendary gear. For NWO, maybe it is worth taking a break until mod 17 is launched for console players.

• Options
    h3llbentwisph3llbentwisp Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Just asking for opinions to see if I'm wrong for thinking this way. The scaling is obviously broken as stated and proven by many players. Am I wrong for thinking that if you are capped in stats for a certain level that when scaled back you should be scaled down to the cap of that content level.

For instance if your level 80 have all of your stats capped or over capped in some situations. Then when you go to WoD , I would think your stats would be scaled down to the high end cap of that content.

Am I wrong for thinking that the scaling should work like this??
  • Options
    motu999#9953 motu999 Member Posts: 254 Arc User

... when scaled back you should be scaled down to the cap of that content level.

If it worked like this, it would be slightly better (far from good or even far from bearable). However, as noworries stated, scaling rather puts to down to the entry level of the old content. This is moronic. It puts you there, where the people are when the old mod just was released. The devs obviously do not like any sense of progression at all. You should always be as weak when the old content was just released. Or they are just punishing us for some unknown sin we might have committed against them. I really have no clue. Its so far removed from logical, common sense that I am totally baffled ...
  • Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    They need to eliminate the cap, this is ridiculous.
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    What I dont understand is how a "game design company" does not understand player motivation, marketing and addiction psychology, or the importance of long-term players to the financial bottom line of an aging game. They are quite good at content creation, but I don't think they should have been given the keys to the code. Lack of checking your work for errors in a huge, intertwined game creates long-term bugs and degradation, not to mention a loss in player confidence. After excitement, Trust & Confidence in the game, are the most important factors before a player reaches for their wallet.