test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

High Latency

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
Since I have been playing M16, latency (lag) is increasing. Others are talking about it in chat and I know it is not here but server side latency. I have witnessed others run by and freeze in mid air as I pass them. That user is having a lag and will rubberband when they thaw out. Yes I know server lag can be caused by many different issues. Tech support likes to start a my end and work to your end. That always feels like they are accusing my equipment of being at fault.

If the server technicians are aware of an issue, we users would like to know. We don't need details, just acknowledge there is a problem on your end and that it is being repaired.
If you are reading this and having issues of this nature please post here.
Thanks!
wb-cenders.gif

Comments

• blackmagidblackmagid Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    Have also been experiencing rubber-banding. Most notably at the SH with more than 7 - 9 people running influence. Sort of comes on in waves. Usually around this time 20:00 hours EU time. Yawning Portal has been very bad all day today but usually just switch to a lower populated instance.
  • mythrionnmythrionn Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I agree. I play from Europe and I had high latency in UnderMountain zones and cities zone yesterday in the afternoon (14h-19h CEST). Hopefully, I had low latency in dungeons.

• mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    It been a nightmare.

I have seen Comments in Zone chat like : "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag"

In my alliance people from all over the world have confirmed it is lagging. this tells me it might be on cryptic's end. Even if you are in a SOLO ME it lags insanely so it is not an instance being full
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Since last patch we've got SW green smoky doo-dads everywhere, and abandoned companions, even mounts littering the zones. Been getting consistantly worse as each day passes.

Probably this.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I kept talking about Bildrath opening the first Barovian orphanage for immolation spirits, but after two weeks and no change, Bildrath and I stopped laughing. The undead from the Thayan Book of the dead also haunt the tunnels of Undermountain. I know that when I shout out in chat, "Hey anyone else lagging?" I get several people who answer yes. The number of those calling me crazy has dropped off.

Once again, I ask ANY Cryptic developer to chime in here and just assure us. The problem is being researched and going to be dealt with. Not asking a lot here, I know better when my husband is coding and cussing, I leave him the Fill Up Coffee Kettle alone. I only started this thread to raise awareness about a growing issue, nothing more. Thanks!

It is Monday morning and I will be doing my weeklies in about 1 hour 20 minutes... I hope. <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • shrineerune#9386 shrineerune Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Yup! I've definitely been experiencing a lot of lag in the UnderMountain zones. A lot of rubberbanding.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Certain actions were taken during launch week to mitigate this issue and we saw an improvement after the first weekend. I will circle back with the tech/engineering team to get an updated report on what they are seeing now.
  • tazz4nowtazz4now Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 205 Arc User
    I've been seeing a lot of rubberbanding and "server not responding" this past week
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

Since last patch we've got SW green smoky doo-dads everywhere, and abandoned companions, even mounts littering the zones. Been getting consistantly worse as each day passes.

Probably this.

It's probably this.
  • kinamara#3934 kinamara Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Yeah its been getting worse it seems. Time I am fighting and fighting and 10 seconds later I rubberband back and am dead about 25 feet from where i was fighting....US based here, and they can try blaming my equip but not a single other online game I play lags for me. so unless my equipment just hats a several year old online game it is not me (plus everyone in any of my groups and my guild constantly talk about it as well.....)
  • drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    Lagging hard 24/7 here, US based. Does get worse on weekends during primetime (1400-2200 CST on Saturday was literally unplayable, couldn't stay connected to NW for more than 2 minutes but all other games were fine and both speedtest and windows ping command were showing <6ms to my DNS) but is nearly constant the rest of the time.

Happens everywhere. Solo instances, leveling zones with 1-2 instances with no more than 5 people in each, the workshop, even going solo private queue into something like SOT. Even a low-pop instance at an off hour on a weekday is worse than PE was during primetime during the halloween event.

Definitely 99-100% on Cryptic's end. I have a sneaking suspicion in their quest to "streamline" the game they repurpsed a couple of their servers for something else.
    I imagine there will be a lot of talk about this issue on today's Live Stream with Thomas Foss.
    2PM Eastcoast, 1PM Central, Noon Mountian, and 11AM Pacific
    Details here; https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11152113-the-driftwood-tavern-presents-may-7!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • picar66picar66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    i Play from europe, game Client give me the option of using US proxy, EU proxy or NO proxy.
    Only NO Proxy can make a Connection.
    US Proxy, cant reach char select screen, EU Proxy can reach char select screen (9/10 attempts), and the 1 i see char select screen could not get me to the map. puts me back to ingame login screen.
    So the lag Problems may be related to all using NO proxy cause thats the only way to play.
    Check your proxy connections.
    Lag is in all instances and ping vary from 200 to 4000 (mostly around 300) for me. mod16 instances have less lag then every other map. so may be the lag is caused by the scaling system.
    Post edited by picar66 on
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    Two issues that I think are contributing to this:

1. The thousands of warlock abandoned companions that are not being despawned. This was reported on the preview server, and apparantly ignored.

2. The increase of the player soft cap per instance from 20 to 30. It needs to go back down to 20, and number of instances increased substantially.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Our alliance runs DF at the same time everyday. We had more people participated in mod 15 and I personally did not experience any networking issue. Since mod 16 landed, the participation dropped a lot.
    I did the first DF since mod 16 landed yesterday.

The rubber band was horrible.
    I just wanted to enter the red dragon area. I was outside the gate and tried to get in. Everybody was waiting and there was no 'action'. I was rubberband from inside the gate to outside the gate for about 30 times.
    Finally, I got in.

After the wizard was triggered, the regular 1 minutes countdown did not show up. After about 1 minute, the DF timer showed up but there was no dragon. No, not a hidden dragon (as graphic issue) but there was no dragon, period.
    When the DF timer took a minute, the dragon flied in and we could fight with it.
    I did not have rubberband for fighting the red dragon, probably because I did not need to move much.
    Then, I ran to blue dragon. The run was okay.
    After we killed the blue, I wanted to rush back to red.
    Rubberband happened again. I could not leave the blue dragon area. It just kept on pulling me back. For the whole
    minute, I could not leave blue dragon area. No, the red dragon was not killed although it had only 1% minutes ago.

I believe it is a server load issue. The load was increased with no particular good reason.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    A similar rubberband effect occurs when the new resonance encounters in undermountain first appear, and then again when the encounter ends. Seems to suggest that plasticbat may be right about the server having a more difficult time loading encounters.
    They didn't say much on the Live Stream today. I kept asking them, "Thomas do you have any idea what the source is for the latency in the game?" Not much of an answer, they nailed down a latency bug last week and are having the engineers research this one. Apparently the bug fixed was looping through what players had on their "to do list" when you were going to a quest giver. So the reason for last week's latency was very odd answer in my opinion. If you want to see the official answer for yourself, follow this link and fast forward to time index 53:10.

wb-cenders.gif
  • strixblitz64#0785 strixblitz64 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    picar66 said:

i Play from europe, game Client give me the option of using US proxy, EU proxy or NO proxy.
    Only NO Proxy can make a Connection.
    US Proxy, cant reach char select screen, EU Proxy can reach char select screen (9/10 attempts), and the 1 i see char select screen could not get me to the map. puts me back to ingame login screen.
    So the lag Problems may be related to all using NO proxy cause thats the only way to play.
    Check your proxy connections.
    Lag is in all instances and ping vary from 200 to 4000 (mostly around 300) for me. mod16 instances have less lag then every other map. so may be the lag is caused by the scaling system.

there also are a lot of stray pets standing around in some maps i cant imagine thats helping lag at all

• drinkvernors#7197 drinkvernors Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Forget dungeons, I get lag/rubberbanding just walking from the workshop door to the aisle with the dispatch board. About 5 attempts to just walk past it. I get rubberbanding walking from mailbox to workshop, sometimes I can barely negotiate the passage through the middle of the market (from workshop/mailbox to Bugem) as my Siege Griffin hugs the plants and columns.

I'm under the impression it is a result of deciding to scale *everyone* as if they need to be level 80. All the recalculations of character stats must be doubling the server load. I don't understand why anyone needs to be level 71+ unless they enter Undermountain. By not providing a switch to disable level advancement beyond 70 you are punishing everyone for creating a new area.
  • defygravity#9947 defygravity Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    My guess is its the spirits, zombies, skeletons, companions, and mounts. Currently in WoD I have an army of spirits, zombies and skeletons. I gave up trying to count them and then turned around to find more after taking a screenshot.

edited May 2019

I'm under the impression it is a result of deciding to scale *everyone* as if they need to be level 80. All the recalculations of character stats must be doubling the server load. I don't understand why anyone needs to be level 71+ unless they enter Undermountain. By not providing a switch to disable level advancement beyond 70 you are punishing everyone for creating a new area.

I don't know if this lag is level cap related, but you could be correct about it being server calculations. I was asking why we needed to raise the level cap to 80 long ago. Way back on February 20th, I not only questioned this action, I spoke out against it.
    Technically what you are talking about is Server Load but will result in Latency.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • maruda#1373 maruda Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    110-115 ms to server localization but in game 180-200 + sometimes 300-4000ms. In addition, frequent packet losses.
  • mythrionnmythrionn Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Still big lags. I played yesterday like 30 minutes. I played 2 dungeons but the undermountain zone was unplayable. Rollbacks and 2 seconds delay during fight. I hope these lags will be fixed because I can not play in thoses conditions.

After today's patch it seems to lag the most highest and frequent in the Undermountain and no where else. I am going to start a log and see if there is a discernible pattern. There are tiny spikes on other locations but in my spare time this weekend I will examine this more closely. Assuming the lag persists through Monday.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • drumon88drumon88 Member Posts: 142 Arc User

After today's patch it seems to lag the most highest and frequent in the Undermountain and no where else. I am going to start a log and see if there is a discernible pattern. There are tiny spikes on other locations but in my spare time this weekend I will examine this more closely. Assuming the lag persists through Monday.

Lag in PE and the workshop has gotten...somewhat...better. Down to only taking 2-3 tries to get to and empty my receiving box in the workshop, down from 10+ yesterday, and when I run from the workshop to the bank I only rubberband a couple times for a few feet instead of incessantly from the bank to the workshop. Non-Undermountain dungeons are also still pretty bad, twice this morning in RIQ I'd have a huge full-party lag spike, get a couple seconds of "server not responding" then a few of them would DC and we'd be back in business; otherwise I'd go a few seconds of everything's still moving but not getting any damage in or out, then it catches up and the mobs die. Still far from acceptable, and Undermountain zones remain bad.
  • maruda#1373 maruda Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    drumon88 said:

Lag in PE and the workshop has gotten...somewhat...better. Down to only taking 2-3 tries to get to and empty my receiving box in the workshop, down from 10+ yesterday, and when I run from the workshop to the bank I only rubberband a couple times for a few feet instead of incessantly from the bank to the workshop. Non-Undermountain dungeons are also still pretty bad, twice this morning in RIQ I'd have a huge full-party lag spike, get a couple seconds of "server not responding" then a few of them would DC and we'd be back in business; otherwise I'd go a few seconds of everything's still moving but not getting any damage in or out, then it catches up and the mobs die. Still far from acceptable, and Undermountain zones remain bad.
    I have the same problem.