test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Driftwood Tavern April 2 - M16 Questions

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers! During this morning's stream, two questions pertaining to Undermountain were asked and we wanted to share the answers obtained post-stream:

-Enchant exchange bind status: Our current tech does not allow for stores to have a concept of bind status, therefore the exchange cannot be set up to check bound to bound and unbound to unbound. It has a set parameter of any enchant going in, regardless of bind status, providing a bound enchant coming out. Because of potential for major exploitability, we cannot set the parameter so that the enchant the exchange provides back is unbound.

-"Equip" missing from tooltip: Tooltips have been undergoing some adjustments where stats are intended to be split on the items view so item stats are on top and stats from gem slots are listed under the gem slot. An unintended side effect of this is that unslotted enchantment lists all of its stuff without saying which goes to what slot so this is a bug being looked into.

Comments

• adders79#8251 adders79 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Why don't you just keep the enchant vendor as a permanent fixture then we do not need to worry so much. I understand why you are doing it but for honest players it is another huge kick in the teeth to basically lose millions of AD in stock. Although considering there is no need to have enchants above level 8 except for in LoMM I guess it does not matter
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    i agree, keep the vendor open that should stabilize Auction House pricing a bit, and allow players to 'feel' out their build better. Some players may come back to the game in months or years and have those phased out enchants that they cannot do anything with. Keeping a permanent exchange will help a great deal. Now i also agree there can be complications as dupeks was saying, so i suggest that you make it 'free' for the first month or two and then add a surcharge/fee/interest on further exchanges. Properly handled this could help balance the AH and draw players back to the game at the same time.
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    @nitocris83

2 simple questions

1- Will the exchange vendor be permanent ?
    2- Will we be allowed to exchange an infinite amount of time the same enchant ?
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

so i suggest that you make it 'free' for the first month or two and then add a surcharge/fee/interest on further exchanges.

If the vendor is permanent, then the fact that exchanged enchants are BtA is not really a big deal. Having it free for, say, a month, and then adding a fee, maybe something like 5% of the average AH price would be fair.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    It is no problem to exclude various items from being sold to vendors, so it shouldn't really be that difficult to code an exclusion of anything bound from the enchant-exchange?
    I know for a fact, that it isn't a big problem to set those flags, but if the developer wants to claim so, there isn't much the players can do about it.

Or as others have said, make it a permanent addition.

• jobu808jobu808 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I could kind of see this coming as far as the BtA part. I mean did seriously think it was going to stay the way it was and have it to where people could change the cheapest thing on the AH into the most expensive at the click of a button?

I do think if it were a permanent fixture then it would make it a little easier on those who choose to use it and end up with bound enchants. I also agree that maybe at some point it should have a small fee for use when the next big thing causes everyone to change their enchants around.
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    It could just come back on the next meta swap - like free respec when there is a class update.

My question is, how many times can you exchange the same enchantment after it comes out as BtA? @nitocris83
  • spidey#3367 spidey Member Posts: 400 Arc User

Because of potential for major exploitability,

Potential major!!!! exploitability.....why is it allways to "protect" the players when Cryp makes such bad decissions?
    And why can no one tell how you can exploit (major!!) in a new system? Afraid about a new hunting gate? So be honest:
    Its not for the safety for the players. Its for the safety of Cryp and to make money.
    But its still a very very bad decission.

Spidey
  • davidmokidavidmoki Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    All I see is another reason to delay mod 16, the changes are falling apart, but you guys are ignoring it "/
  • juergeng123juergeng123 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    with this change you will kill the game Dont do the bound to Account exchange please.
    Schließe dich meiner Gilde Valindras Fear an Gildenhalle 20 Marktplatz 9 Stall 9 Kasserne 9, Entdeckergilde 9
    Join my guild Valindras Fear GH20 Marketplace 9 Stable 9 Barracs 9 Explorer Guild 9
  • zyek88zyek88 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I understand the concern about exploitability but punishing honest players is a foolish approach to preventing it.

Correct me if I am wrong but the majority of enchantments are unbound to begin with so the impact of this exploit would be minimal.

Over the years more things have been getting bound. This feels more like an attempt to keep moving in that direction which historically angers players and makes honest players quit.

Others have posted reasonable solutions. Either put the effort in to making the system register bind status or make the vendor permanent.
  • sprat140#9415 sprat140 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Is there a way to watch the replay of this stream?
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    I really don't see the problem with allowing unlimited exchanges. All it does is set the value of enchantments to be the same regardless of type.
  • sirol#5176 sirol Member Posts: 13 Arc User

if that is the case why not simply disallow bound items from being used in the exchange?

If there is no others possibility, i like this one.
  • bpstuartbpstuart Member Posts: 235 Arc User

Is there a way to watch the replay of this stream?

you can find it here
    Ego etiam cupo recrari et amari diu post mortem meam
    I too wish to be recreated, and to be loved long after my death.
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

@nitocris83

2 simple questions

1- Will the exchange vendor be permanent ?
    2- Will we be allowed to exchange an infinite amount of time the same enchant ?

@nitocris83
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    1. Will our existing Foundry cloaks be made reclaimable? (Foundry Apprentice, Foundry Graduate, etc.) I want to use mine as transmute(s) but I won't if it means it will be gone forever from a particular alt. The Foundry Graduate one is especially good for a Ranger.
    2. Why not wait until April 22 to kill the Foundry since the new mod won't go live until the 23rd? Is it really necessary to do it on the 11th?
    3. Could you consider featuring some Foundry quests before it goes away? None of have been featured in four years making certain achievements unobtainable.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • ramesh84ramesh84 Member Posts: 133 Arc User

-Enchant exchange bind status: Our current tech does not allow for stores to have a concept of bind status, therefore the exchange cannot be set up to check bound to bound and unbound to unbound. It has a set parameter of any enchant going in, regardless of bind status, providing a bound enchant coming out. Because of potential for major exploitability, we cannot set the parameter so that the enchant the exchange provides back is unbound.

I could but I won't argue about that, will just say there are plenty of better and safer alternative proposals in feedback thread are compatible with current code and not too hard to implement.
    That said, as I am 100% sure you won't step back on that choice, will you mind to provide an alert to players that the unbound good they are going to trade will turn on a bound claim?
    I see the potential major exploitability in an unbound system (you actually aren't safe from another major one) but you can't ignore all the players not/partially logging on preview (claims were unbound at start) and reading forum/patch notes: they could be highly disappointed about exchanging an unbound item to get a (useless to me) bound loot without being warned about.
    I am quite sick about legit players loosing access to many features but i guess I have to stop dreaming :)
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    This is completely unacceptable, cryptic waited an entire month after the exchanges were announced to tell everyone this. The post announcing the mod 16 exchanges made 0 mention of this fact and Cryptic mislead almost everyone by doing this. This will result in huge financial losses for a massive amount of the population and almost everyone being stuck with items that aren't useful to them anymore. Most of the game's population just got screwed over by this shortsighted decision, not just exploiters.

Many enchantments/insignias were reworked and the stat curve in mod 16 was changed significantly. This means almost everyone is now stuck with items that are no longer useful to them and many of them are no longer worth anything close to the value of the ones they will need to replace them with in the new module. Tons of players who were assured by their friends/guildies/other people that they wouldn't have to sell off the enchantments on their characters also lost an insane amount of money over this and are rightfully going to be furious.

Bottomline: Cryptic needs to come up with a better solution for preventing exploits than just HAMSTER over the game's entire population like this.

Also:
    artifleur said:

If preventing bound enchantments from being traded requires extra coding then please do the extra coding.

^^ This a million times this.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • juliofp70juliofp70 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 109 Arc User
    hello

you can do 2 npcs insteed of one. one to trade bound to bound and the other unbound to unbound. both can stay active on mod 16 during the first 2 weeks before get closed.
    GF Your Personal Yeti - Strawberry Yakuza
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User

Greetings Adventurers! During this morning's stream, two questions pertaining to Undermountain were asked and we wanted to share the answers obtained post-stream:

Woah. That is a major hit, given all the unbound runestones and enchants I have, some of which are changing drastically! I can't believe this. Good grief.
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!

if that is the case why not simply disallow bound items from being used in the exchange?

Could there be two stores, one for bound and one for unbound? I mean, this is a serious problem for many players.

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • darkheart#6758 darkheart Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    > @nitocris83 said:
    > Greetings Adventurers! During this morning's stream, two questions pertaining to Undermountain were asked and we wanted to share the answers obtained post-stream:
    >
    > -Enchant exchange bind status: Our current tech does not allow for stores to have a concept of bind status, therefore the exchange cannot be set up to check bound to bound and unbound to unbound. It has a set parameter of any enchant going in, regardless of bind status, providing a bound enchant coming out. Because of potential for major exploitability, we cannot set the parameter so that the enchant the exchange provides back is unbound.
    >
    > -"Equip" missing from tooltip: Tooltips have been undergoing some adjustments where stats are intended to be split on the items view so item stats are on top and stats from gem slots are listed under the gem slot. An unintended side effect of this is that unslotted enchantment lists all of its stuff without saying which goes to what slot so this is a bug being looked into.

Ok, so because of "potential for major exploitability" you won't change it.

That is a big difference between can't and won't. You can change this but have made the decision not to, with the excuse of exploitability as the reason.Sad.
    First question: I have a bunch of old lockboxes. Let's say I open one during mod 16... does an Eldritch runestone still drop, and thus force me to having a bound runestone through the exchange?

Second question. It's been a few months after Mod 16. If an old lockbox would grant me an Eldritch runestone, does it still drop AND I can't even exchange it?

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    But if their system can not determine the status of an enchant being traded in, it would not if they made a bound-bound and an unbound-unbound store. Yes they could set the store to give all unbound enchants, but that would mean bound enchant would come out unbound too, which is where the exploit would be. All in all this is probably the only way they can do it, that or completely remove the exchange.
    I can't help but read posts like yesterday's environment post and conclude that this is all because the game is being run on a shoestring budget. The environment post was basically:
    - The game is six years old, so this is hard.
    - I'm the only person working on environment now, so this is hard.
    - I'm being reassigned to a different project, so this will be even worse for the next person.

When they do this over and over, combined with tight deadlines they are unwilling to change, of course they can't fix something that is critical to the user base but unimportant to them.

I really want to be positive about this game, but it is getting harder and harder to not see the writing on the wall about what Cryptic is willing to do for us.

This discussion has been closed.