test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Don't Panic and Bring a Towel (Basic Class Guides for M16):

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
For anyone who is struggling with your character in module 16, here are some basic guidelines for each class, that we, as play testers, found to be somewhat effective. We are not covering gear, as we have not yet worked out ideal gear pieces yet, but these builds should get you through fairly comfortably. The most important part of gearing will be capping Armour Penetration and Accuracy(14000 for the leveling zone, 24000 at level 80). Please note these builds were based on what was available on the last updated version of the play test, so if any major class changes were made, they will be obsolete. Also, none of these builds are for PVP, we did not test PVP.

Part I Basic Wizard Build for Module 16:

1 Single Target Arcanist:

• Ray of Enfeeblement on Mastery

• Entangling Force

• Disintegrate

• Repel

• Storm Spell

• Arcane Power Field

• Arcane Bolt

• Arcane Empowerment

Start with Ray of Enfeeblement then Arcane Empowerment, Entangling Force, Repel and then Disintegrate. Try to cycle encounters as quickly as possible, then use Arcane Bolt when they are off cool-down.

2 Area of Effect Thaumaturge:

• Entangling Force on Mastery

• Fanning the Flame

• Icy Terrain

• Conduit of Ice

• Critical Conflagration

• Evocation

• Chilling Cloud

• Oppressive Force

• Furious Immolation

Most of the damage from this build comes from smolder, The goal is to trigger Critical Conflagration as much as possible. The order you use powers in is not so important, so long as you group as many enemies together as possible and play aggressively. The more enemies you pull, the more damage you will deal.

3 Single Target Feats:

• Spell Twisting

• Assailing Force

• Chaos Magic

• Striking Advantage

• A Step above Mastery

4 Area of Effect Feats:

• Smoldering Recovery

• Glowing Flames

• Shatter Strike

• Critical Burn

• Directed Flames

5 Known Bugs as of the previous build:

• Elemental Reinforcement only working on the first hit.

• Storm Pillar dealing excessive damage.

• Chaos Magic - Quick Action giving half of the intended action points.

• Striking Advantage does not scale.

• Directed Flames deals 50%, not 75%.

• Empowering Flames does not function.
Post edited by thefabricant on

Comments

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Part II Basic Rogue Build for Module 16:

Although I did actually spend time testing this class, you should totally direct all your questions towards @micky1p00

1 Single Target Assassin:

• Lashing Blade

• Assassinate

• Deft Strike

• Oppressive Darkness

• Tactics

• Duelist's Flurry

• Gloaming Cut

• Shocking Execution

Whenever you use stealth, you want to use it to buff Lashing Blade. My rotation with this build it to wait for Skullcracker to trigger, then use Deft Strike, Stealth, Shocking Execution, a few Gloaming Cuts until stealth is almost depleted, then Lashing Blade and Assassinate. When your encounters are on cool-down, simply hold down Duelist's Flurry.

2 Area of Effect Whisperknife: Obsolete

• Smoke Bomb

• Blitz

• Path of the Blade

• Tactics

• Razor Action

• Whirlwind of Blades

I use stealth on Blitz, in order to lower cooldowns. As a result of this it is usually the last power I use. Path of the Blade, Smoke Bomb, Stealth, Blitz, then at wills when your powers are on cool-down.

3 Single Target Feats:

• Assassin's Target

• Knife's Edge

• Skullcracker

• Hastily Sharpened Blades

• Shadow's Flurry

4 Area of Effect Feats:

• Shady Preparations

• Dark Reimbursement

• Shadow of Demise

• Shadowy Opportunity

• Last Moments

• Duelist's Flurry Bleed does not deal damage if you hit enemies who are on a different level of terrain elevation to you.

• The hit that triggers Shadow of Demise counts 50%, not 30%.

• Shadow of Demise double benefits from debuffs.

• Shadow of Demise counts damage dealt to all enemies, to the single enemy.

• Back Alley Tactics significantly reduces your damage, as it is not capped to the domain \left[1,1.1\right] and thus leads you to deal on average 40% less damage.

• Knife's Edge triggers per target hit, for example, it reduces your cool-downs by 20 seconds if it triggers off of 5 targets hit by Whirlwind of Blades.

• Knife's Edge does not trigger on Bloodbath.
    edited March 2019
    Obsolete

Part III Basic Ranger Build for Module 16:

Hunter was tested by @viraaal and @artifleur, not me, so if you wish to field any questions for this class, direct them at him, including if you should live stream Owlbear before your NDA has ended.

1 Single Target Hunter:

• Longstrider's Shot

• Marauders Escape

• Commanders Shot

• Rapid Shot

• Careful attack

• Disruptive shot

• Aspect of the Falcon

• Aspect of the Pack

The rotation is Disruptive shot, Longstrider's Shot, Gushing Wound, Marauders Escape (while jumping to remove the movement effect but keep the damage), Marauders Rush, Commanders Shot, Disruptive shot, Careful attack, Rapid Shot until Longstrider's Shot is 1s off cool-down, and then repeat animation cancelling Disruptive shot with Longstrider's Shot.

2 Area of Effect Warden:

• Hindering Strike

• Steel Breeze

• Oak Skin

• Storm Strike

• Clear the ground

• Forest Ghost

• Blade Storm

• Twin Blade Storm

Hindering first, then other encounters to reset its cooldown. Forest Ghost and Storm Strike for finishing the last man standing.

3 Single Target Feats:

• Commander in Chief

• Stillness of the Forest

• Predator

• Longshot

• More than Disruptive

4 Area of Effect Feats:

• Focused

• Storms Recovery

• Blade Hurricane

• Skirmisher's Gambit

• Nature's Envoy

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XEux7oI4eMjR_nHXoQMrudAemtnDcukzp1mTtGe2AzU/edit
    edited March 2019
    Obsolete.

Part IV Basic DPS Cleric Build Module 16:

Devout got changed a lot since its last preview build and I do not feel comfortable recommending something.

1 Single Target Arbiter:

• Bastion of Health

• Prophecy of Doom

• Forgemaster's Flame

• Lance of Faith

• Sacred Flame

• Hammer of Fate

• Light of the Scales

• Holy Fervor

This rotation is a little bit strange compared to what you would usually be used to for DPS. The feat Mendicant's Judgement will build stacks of Judgement, which you will use to refresh divinity. You start by using 6 Lance of Faith, then you cast Prophecy of Doom, Hammer of Fate, then Forgehamer's Flame, then 6 Lance of Faith, then Forgemaster's Flame. Repeat whenever you have divinity to use Forgemaster's Flame. When you are out of divinity, use Bastion and target the most allies possible, then briefly channel divinity to consume all stacks. Repeat until full on divinity, then start the rotation again.

2 Area of Effect Arbiter:

• Bastion of Health

• Sunburst

• Searing Light

• Lance of Faith

• Sacred Flame

• Celestial Prominence

• Light of the Scales

• Holy Fervor

The rotation is similar to the one for Arbiter, but instead of using Prophecy you use Sunburst and instead of Forgemaster's you use Searing Light.

3 Feats (Both):

• Piercing Light

• Heavy Sun

• Mendicant's Judgement

• Smoldering Light

• Critical Sun
    edited March 2019
    Part V Basic Barbarian Build for Module 16:

Barbarian was tested by @rjc9000 and not me, so poke him.

1 Single Target Barbarian:

• Hidden Daggers

• Indomitable Battle Strike

• Frenzy

• Sure Strike

• Relentless Slash

• Adamantine Strike

• Crescendo

• Steel Blitz

• Raging Strike

Rotation is similar to live, except not as quick. Use Relentless Slash as your self buff, use Sure Strike/Frenzy/Crescendo to gather rage. When you gather 45-55% rage, jump and toss Daggers. Pop Rage, press IBS, then hold down Sure Strike for a few seconds. You should only have ~30-20% of your rage left by this point, toss out Frenzy to make use of the Rage buff and that should leave you with 0 Rage. Repeat the rotation.

If you have a daily attack, you should pop Adamantine Strike ~3-4 seconds before Daggers comes of cooldown, then you can do the rotation as usual and have the Adamantine Strike debuff make your Daggers a bit stronger. I also noticed Frenzy would be out of sync on the rotation (ie, you will sometimes), just use it and make the best of what you got.

I honestly would have used Bloodletter+Bloodspiller due to the self damage helping with rage generation in addition to the damage+cooldown having a more fluid rotation. The whole "kill yourself" part of Bloodspiller made it a no go though.

2 Area of Effect Barbarian:

• Hidden Daggers

• Axestorm

• Not so Fast

• Sure Strike

• Relentless Slash

• Adamantine Strike

• Steel Blitz

• Trample of the Fallen

The rotation is similar to live: gather Rage with your Atwills + Not So Fast (which should proc Trample's 5%, unsure of the 10% extra). When you hit ~45-55% rage, jump and toss Daggers towards the enemies. Turn on Rage and hold down Relentless Slash until Daggers runs out. Then toss out Axestorm before Rage ends and you should have a lot of dead enemies. If not, repeat the rotation.

I don't find I use daily attacks in this setup, since all of the AoE ones seem to take too long to cast. If you plan to use Unstoppable Spin, I do not advise using Spinning Strike as the opening of your rotation, I'd actually advise tossing it at the end of a rotation.

3 Feats for Both Loadouts:

• Relentless Speed

• Indomitable Rage

• Overpenetration

• Unstoppable Spin

• Relentless Battlerage

edited March 2019
    Part VI Basic Paladin Build for Module 16:
    This was written by @greyjay1 as he tested OP, so if you have any questions, I recommend fielding them his way.
    1 Solo (Oathkeeper):

• Valorous Strike

• Radiant Strike

• Smite

• Sacred Weapon

• Burning Light

• Divine Judgement

• Radiant Charge

• Composure

• Divine Justice

Smite all the way, Sacred Weapon + Radiant Strike for AoE.

2 Tanking:

• Shielding Strike (Oath Strike for AoE)

• Radiant Strike

• Smite (Templar's Wrath for AoE)

• Sacred Weapon

• Absolution (Burning Light for AoE)

• Divine Judgement

• Radiant Charge

• Composure

• Divine Shieldberer

Smite (TW) all the way, Sacred Weapon + Oath Strike for AoE, block to regain Divinity.

3 Healing:

• Cure Wounds (rarely used)

• Radiant Strike (or Divine Fulmination)

• Divine Touch

• Divine Shelter

• Circle of Power

• Lay on Hands

• Sanctuary

• Composure

• Aura of Life

Divine Touch as standard Power, Divine Shelter after the Feat procced, CoP for +healing and +Divinity, Sanctuary as HoT.

4 Solo Feats:

• Free Blessing

• Divine Weapon

• Keeper's Wrath

• Guarded Prayers

• Radiant Banner

Keeper's Wrath is the imprtant Feat here.

5 Tanking Feats:

• Sacred Shield

• Absolute Shield

• Bound to the Land

• Vigilant Defender

• Bulwark of Faith

Tanking Feats are not so important

6 Healing Feats:

• Free Blessing

• Divine Weapon

• Lasting Bond

• Guarded Prayers

• Intervening Light

Free Blessing is the important Feat here.
    edited March 2019
    Part VII Basic Warlock Build Module 16:

This was tested by @ramesh84 not me, so full credit to him.

1 Single Target:

• Killing Flames

• Hadar's Grasp

• Hellfire Ring

• Eldritch Blast

• Hand of Blight

• Brood of Hadar

• All-Consuming Curse

• Deadly Curse

Gain spark and curse with at will, than hg- at will - VE- at will - KF - atwill - SS - repeat

2 Area of Effect Warlock:

•Curse Bite

• Fiery Bold

• Hellfire Ring

• Eldritch Blast

• Hand of Blight

• Accursed Souls

• All-Consuming Curse

• Deadly Curse

AoE rotation is mostly based on cursing and cb (HFring-cb-fb-cb), using at-willk in meantime to fill sparks.

3 Feats Single Target:

• Double Scorch

• Warlock's Curse

• Risky Investment

• Executioner's Gift

• Soul Spark Recovery

4 Feats Area of Effect:

• Power of the Nine Hells

• Parting Blasphemy

• Soul Desecration

• Executioner's Gift

• Soul Spark Recovery
  • eclipseblood#1326 eclipseblood Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    Ty for all the Testing and info provided :)
  • sylverhawkesylverhawke Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks for the testing Sharp. looking forward to the revamped Wizard
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Thank you for sharing this info, I will test my Wizard as soon as I'm back from the office.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Thnx, greatly appreciated.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Is 42 the answer to Mod 16?
  • bayaz#7892 bayaz Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Thank you very much for all the work here, @thefabricant !
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
  • milamber#1380 milamber Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Baie dankie
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    deleted link due to being outdated
    Post edited by rjc9000 on

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    For single target wizard i'm using pretty much the same as pointed out here (well not EXACTLY the same because i don't hit 80 yet and because i was thinking of Imprisionment on Spell Mastery for +25% arcane damage).

However for area i'm using an Arcanist too with Arcane Power Field + Evocation as class features. I pretty much use Oppressive Force + Steal Time (on Tab) and everything dies. My AP goes to 100% every 3 groups of monsters or so on average which leaves me killing 2/3 of group monsters without benefiting from Arcane Power Field (i could slot Chilling Presence instead but i would go crazy swaping class features all the time to use daily on that 1/3 group of monsters). In this case i use Icy Terrain first, then Shard of Endless Avalanche, then Steal Time. I have Sudden Storm as 4th encounter right now but it feels like HAMSTER.

The only Thaumaturge i tried was based on Chill feats (not the Fire/Smolder recommended here) and it didn't feel so good. Also the Thaumaturge indicated here has 2 single target encounters (FtF and Entangling Force) and 1 that is a "middle ground" between Single Target and AoE (Conduit of Ice) which makes it feels weird for AoE purposes, but that's by design due to how the powers were split between the 2 paragons and how a lot of powers lost their AoE Spell Mastery effect. Also a lot of Smolder feats work on the base of "each time Smolders ticks you get something (Action Point, more damage, whatever)", in this case isn't counter-intuitive to use Directed Flames feat which makes Smolder ticks only once?
    edited March 2019

For single target wizard i'm using pretty much the same as pointed out here (well not EXACTLY the same because i don't hit 80 yet and because i was thinking of Imprisionment on Spell Mastery for +25% arcane damage).

However for area i'm using an Arcanist too with Arcane Power Field + Evocation as class features. I pretty much use Oppressive Force + Steal Time (on Tab) and everything dies. My AP goes to 100% every 3 groups of monsters or so on average which leaves me killing 2/3 of group monsters without benefiting from Arcane Power Field (i could slot Chilling Presence instead but i would go crazy swaping class features all the time to use daily on that 1/3 group of monsters). In this case i use Icy Terrain first, then Shard of Endless Avalanche, then Steal Time. I have Sudden Storm as 4th encounter right now but it feels like HAMSTER.

The only Thaumaturge i tried was based on Chill feats (not the Fire/Smolder recommended here) and it didn't feel so good. Also the Thaumaturge indicated here has 2 single target encounters (FtF and Entangling Force) and 1 that is a "middle ground" between Single Target and AoE (Conduit of Ice) which makes it feels weird for AoE purposes, but that's by design due to how the powers were split between the 2 paragons and how a lot of powers lost their AoE Spell Mastery effect. Also a lot of Smolder feats work on the base of "each time Smolders ticks you get something (Action Point, more damage, whatever)", in this case isn't counter-intuitive to use Directed Flames feat which makes Smolder ticks only once?

FtF is not single target. Most of its damage comes from smoulder proliferating to nearby enemies.

Entangling Force is on Mastery because it does a lot more damage then anything else and benefits more from mastery then anything else.

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Well, FtF is a single target power. It does not have an ability to spread or proliferate smolder. What it does have is the ability to tick 25 magnitude damage to targets that are already affected by smolder. To put smolder on an AoE (thus affecting multiple targets and allowing FtF functioning the way you say) you need Furious Immolation or fully charged Scorching Burst. And still the initial hit of the power is still single target which makes me miss a lot Spell Mastery FtF.

About Entangling Force: i didn't even realized it had such damage until you showed me. Also my mindset was still stuck to the buff meta so i thought +25% arcane damage would be perfect. Right now EF is stronger than Disintegrate lol

Well, FtF is a single target power. It does not have an ability to spread or proliferate smolder. What it does have is the ability to tick 25 magnitude damage to targets that are already affected by smolder. To put smolder on an AoE (thus affecting multiple targets and allowing FtF functioning the way you say) you need Furious Immolation or fully charged Scorching Burst. And still the initial hit of the power is still single target which makes me miss a lot Spell Mastery FtF.

About Entangling Force: i didn't even realized it had such damage until you showed me. Also my mindset was still stuck to the buff meta so i thought +25% arcane damage would be perfect. Right now EF is stronger than Disintegrate lol

I just stack crit and apply smolder with crit conflag.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Good topic.

Also, for any Wizard who is dying whilst playing content...HOW?

You must have at least a few pets which give buff "Redemption"? Or mount powers? Switch that Gladiator's Guile for something more useful. You can't die, just can't die, I refuse to acknowledge that as an option!

That aside, each fight isn't as long and enemies do not really do that much damage to begin with, so dodging and maintaining somewhat control (like back in MOD2) is going to be useful. If you got used to standing at one place and throw Disintegrate+Ice Knife combo, forget that. You have to play a bit more tactically now and to know which target to pick apart from others.

I have found that this combination of pet boons works for me, but I'd like to hear any other suggestion on which buffs actually work wonders.

If possible, please cover this topic, too. I think that some great combinations could be made effective.

True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User

Good topic.

You must have at least a few pets which give buff "Redemption"? Or mount powers? Switch that Gladiator's Guile for something more useful. You can't die, just can't die, I refuse to acknowledge that as an option!

That aside, each fight isn't as long and enemies do not really do that much damage to begin with, so dodging and maintaining somewhat control (like back in MOD2) is going to be useful. If you got used to standing at one place and throw Disintegrate+Ice Knife combo, forget that. You have to play a bit more tactically now and to know which target to pick apart from others.

I have found that this combination of pet boons works for me, but I'd like to hear any other suggestion on which buffs actually work wonders.

If possible, please cover this topic, too. I think that some great combinations could be made effective.

Man, I don't have ANY of those companion boons. And what mount powers are you using in place of Gladiator's Guile?
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Good topic.

Isn't +Defense completely useless given the probable Armor Penetration value of the mobs? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the only characters who are likely to benefit from any defensive stats other than HP are tanks.

I'm not finding that defensive companion abilities or other passives are necessary. Mobs aren't instantly and effortlessly dead in the same way that they were in M15, but it's not challenging except where scaling is completely broken.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

Lillend's Insight and Champion's Return are the only defensive things that I consider worthwhile. On the other hand, pets do so much damage now that I recommend using Warlord's Inspiration.
    vorphied said:

Isn't +Defense completely useless given the probable Armor Penetration value of the mobs? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the only characters who are likely to benefit from any defensive stats other than HP are tanks.

I'm not finding that defensive companion abilities or other passives are necessary. Mobs aren't instantly and effortlessly dead in the same way that they were in M15, but it's not challenging except where scaling is completely broken.

Err...I'm, not using it for the sake of def stat, only Accuracy. That's what I had on me, so I made some quick use of it. It's nowhere near optimal, which is why I asked about some good combinations to have companion-wise... : }

I do not think that this was covered here.
    True Neutral

Man, I don't have ANY of those companion boons. And what mount powers are you using in place of Gladiator's Guile?

Oh, you have many to choose from.

https://two30.github.io/neverwinter-insignia/

TBH I'm not using those bonuses at all, I actually mess around with 3 x Gladiator's Guile.
    True Neutral
  • btfdbtfd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    Good to see you back, Sharp. Excited for the SW section.

• artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    The single target hunter build is pretty good. :+1:

The AoE Warden build, however, is aweful. Here's a much better one :

- Storm Strike
    - Clear the Ground

- Hindering Strike (nasty damage atm, will probably be lowered)
    - Steel Breeze (for more cooldown reduction)
    - Oak Skin (Can trigger Storm's Recovery a lot if there are players around you, you may want to switch it if you're alone)

- Forest Ghost (very good damage with the feat, will probably go down too at some point)

- Blade Storm
    - Twin Blade Storm

- Feats : Focused, Storm's Recovery, Blade Hurricane, Skirmisher's Gambit, Nature's Envoy

Hindering first, then other encounters to reset its cooldown. Forest Ghost and Storm Strike for finishing the last man standing.

It's far from perfect of course, but it's working.
    artifleur said:

The single target hunter build is pretty good. :+1:

The AoE Warden build, however, is aweful. Here's a much better one :

- Storm Strike
    - Clear the Ground

- Hindering Strike (nasty damage atm, will probably be lowered)
    - Steel Breeze (for more cooldown reduction)
    - Oak Skin (Can trigger Storm's Recovery a lot if there are players around you, you may want to switch it if you're alone)

- Forest Ghost (very good damage with the feat, will probably go down too at some point)

- Blade Storm
    - Twin Blade Storm

- Feats : Focused, Storm's Recovery, Blade Hurricane, Skirmisher's Gambit, Nature's Envoy

It's far from perfect of course, but it's working.

Thanks @artifleur I have added that and updated to credit your contribution.