test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
Dear Devs,
With the Tales of Old event, you managed to create an event that rewards (1) speed-running, and (2) exceptional elitism. I am not sure if that was your intention, but that is what happened. The speed-running, because so much currency was required to get the rewards; and the elitism, by demanding such high Ilevel for the content, and the "scaling up" feature not really working properly. It was routine for me to see requests for 17k and 18k players for groups. Furthermore, support classes were as usual far more favored over DPS classes.

You know what this event didn't reward? Having fun! I mean, I liked seeing the old dungeon again, but I could not imagine doing it so many times over such a short time frame. I didn't even like the dungeon *that* much back in the old days!

If you're going to do this type of event again, may I make a few suggestions?
1. Have a scaling-up procedure that actually works, so that sub-16k players can actually make a meaningful contribution to the group, *as advertised.* This will cut down on the excessive demands for 18k(!) characters.
2. Either make the event longer, or don't make us repeat the dungeon so many times, in order to earn the rewards. That will cut down on the demands for speed running.
3. Make a penalty for having multiple characters of the same support role in the group. Perhaps this can be one of the "embellishments". So for example, a group that has 2 DC's or 2 OP's will have the total power of the group cut by a factor of 2. A group that has both a GF and a Protection OP will have the total defense of the group cut by a factor of 2. A group that has both a Devotion OP and a Temptation SW in a group will have the total healing cut by a factor of 2. Something along those lines. This will allow a greater diversity of characters to have the opportunity to participate in the event.

Comments

• Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

Dear Devs,
    With the Tales of Old event, you managed to create an event that rewards (1) speed-running, and (2) exceptional elitism. I am not sure if that was your intention, but that is what happened. The speed-running, because so much currency was required to get the rewards; and the elitism, by demanding such high Ilevel for the content, and the "scaling up" feature not really working properly. It was routine for me to see requests for 17k and 18k players for groups. Furthermore, support classes were as usual far more favored over DPS classes.

You know what this event didn't reward? Having fun! I mean, I liked seeing the old dungeon again, but I could not imagine doing it so many times over such a short time frame. I didn't even like the dungeon *that* much back in the old days!

1. Have a scaling-up procedure that actually works, so that sub-16k players can actually make a meaningful contribution to the group, *as advertised.* This will cut down on the excessive demands for 18k(!) characters.
    2. Either make the event longer, or don't make us repeat the dungeon so many times, in order to earn the rewards. That will cut down on the demands for speed running.
    3. Make a penalty for having multiple characters of the same support role in the group. Perhaps this can be one of the "embellishments". So for example, a group that has 2 DC's or 2 OP's will have the total power of the group cut by a factor of 2. A group that has both a GF and a Protection OP will have the total defense of the group cut by a factor of 2. A group that has both a Devotion OP and a Temptation SW in a group will have the total healing cut by a factor of 2. Something along those lines. This will allow a greater diversity of characters to have the opportunity to participate in the event.

You do realise we are all in The Bad Place don't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)#Nine_circles_of_Hell

• Options
    gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

Dear Devs,

Errm...altough you are right about few things you pointed out here.....new edition of this event can meet completly new reality after MOD16 hits a live servers. And that alone can make this event far better or worse :dizzy:
  • Options
    manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I had a lot of fun running it with friends in guild/alliance. We ran with whatever classes we could get, though we always had a DC and a tank. If we couldn't finish 5 runs so be it, we stopped at whatever run we could manage. That wasn't always due to difficulty, sometimes it was because of disconnects, which was way more of a problem than difficulty.

Why are you trying to penalize people for playing whatever characters they like to play? We often ran it with 2 GF's because a friend and I both have GF mains and those were the characters we wanted to get the gear for.

I do agree with your second point, it was too grindy for a 1 week event. I would have liked to have completed it on more than one character.
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Going to disagree with the whole 'rainbow party' idea. Ran 5x with 5 different classes in the party, and ran it with fewer. So be it.

I'm not sure how well the scaling up will work until mod16 hits. Hopefully it's in a better spot then. I'm fine with something like this being deliberately targeted at vets, though.

Lastly, yes - very grindy. It'd be nice to be able to start at a specified stage of the run (with appropriate handicap), so you can skip, say, the first 3 stages, but lose 15 min and 3 lives from your counter in doing so. Groups able to do 5x generally blew through those anyways, leaving them a cushion of both time and lives for the last two stages. Groups that aren't sure how they will do, or chest runs, can start at the base, and still get rewards.
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    They DID say that the first Tales Of Old will be looked at closely and they would be gathering data regarding everything to do with it. Given that this is the first iteration of the event, I and many many others found it to be the best content we have seen in this game in a very long time.

This event is meant for elite end-gamers to fully complete the 5x runs and I would not have it any other way. End-gamers have been bleeding out of this game for two years, we need this type of content with great rewards to keep people in the game.

I fully expect changes to be made to the event going forward. I think it's great that people are providing feedback. Your opinions are just as valuable as mine.

twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User

This event is meant for elite end-gamers to fully complete the 5x runs and I would not have it any other way.

Actually, the event is for elite end-gamers who have other elite end-gamers in their friends' list.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    I looked for the event in the queue but couldn't find it. Turned out that my IL wasn't at the recommended level so even if there had been a queue for PUGs I probably wouldn't have been able to join.
    I have no friends list in the game.
    I am certainly not "elite".

Ends up I didn't run it at all even though I wanted to see the old dungeon... I don't remember that I ever ran it back when it was in the game.

• Options
    manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User

I looked for the event in the queue but couldn't find it. Turned out that my IL wasn't at the recommended level so even if there had been a queue for PUGs I probably wouldn't have been able to join.
    I have no friends list in the game.
    I am certainly not "elite".

Ends up I didn't run it at all even though I wanted to see the old dungeon... I don't remember that I ever ran it back when it was in the game.

That's too bad, the first and second runs through were very easy, you could complete them with a 12K party I'm sure. It wasn't explained very well so people like yourself were turned off at the suggested 16K.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Yea, that item power thing requirement prevented me from doing any of it. X_x;