test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please re-think your strategy moving everything to single character claim

bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 106 Arc User
I am seeing this trend more and more and I think it is a very bad idea from a gameplay and financial point of view. Neverwinter seems to be moving at lightspeed in this direction. We saw the adventure packs removed and each of them had an account reclaimable companion. The latest "packs" have single claim mounts, companions, etc. The newest bundles that include companions are single claim. We all expect the consumables to be single claim. We got used to bags being treated this way. But companions and mounts that were part of these packs were account claimable. I think this is very short-sighted. I know the conventional thinking is that if you make people buy the same thing over and over that it will generate more revenue. But I will offer a different take based on my own experience and those that I know and play with.

Neverwinter and Star Trek are my 2 main go-to games. I've been playing both since beta on both the PC and Xbox. I can tell you that I purchase EVERY single "pack" that STO releases. Why? Because almost everything is account re-claimable. Over the course of 10 years I've spent thousands on STO. Their market is so consumer friendly and because I like playing many different characters, it is a great value. Neverwinter, while not AS consumer friendly had many of the same conventions. I buy almost all of the "packs" that have account claimable mounts/companions/bag/etc. But this new trend of single claim items along with the AD changes makes the game feel like a hopeless grind. You want that pack...great, grind 10s of millions of AD to convert to zen so you can buy it on each character OR spend hundreds to buy that single item for all toons. Neither is something I want to do. So not only am I spending less, I am playing WAY less because it all just feels hopeless.

STO, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. I play it constantly because I know my hard work will pay off big with account unlocks. I also feel fine spending $150 on an expansion "pack" because ALL my toons benefit from it. I would have bought the Expedition Leader Pack and the Hunter Expedition Pack if they were account unlocks but passed since they are not and will continue to do so.

Please re-think these packs and your strategy going forward. I love the game and have no problem spending money when it makes sense. Spending $100+ on a single toon doesn't make sense and isn't a good value. Again, consumables as single claims make sense...but the rest should be account claims.

Comments

• Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Total agreement. I can say from my own experience that I won't purchase anything from Zen market that's not account claimable. The prices are completely unrealistic for what you get.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Well, i bought all the DLCs and class packs in the past, i even tried some of the new packs (NOT the "Adventurer" HAMSTER packs of course) when i could get them at half price, but i see no point in going on with that, looking at the changes being made to the game over this year and what i've read about the new module.

I like to jump from one class to another every now and then, but it appears that they're dead set on destroying that particular way of playing the game now.
    So for me, the only item currently left in the store worth buying is ViP, but with 317 days active time remaining... why would i buy more, when 12 is still the highest rank i can get?

I think, that the ZEN store needs more usefull packs with account-wide content in them, and not more packs that are hardly worth spending money on. One more thing, they're doing a lot to drive away the "veteran" players, but "new" players will probably not spend a lot of cash on a game they've just started playing - so, at what kind of players are they aiming at with these "buy me over and over again" HAMSTER collection packs?

Anyway, i doubt that this story is going to have a happy ending...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    Someone is doing some financial analytics on their side and made a conscience decision to start removing all account reclaimable items. This lined up pretty nice with the AD changes. It's as if they are really discouraging alts...which seems weird to me. The alts are what keep me playing. I never fall in LOVE with a single toon. I just sorta "like" all of them equally. I rather have all my toons with ok gear than 1 or 2 with really good gear. There are so many things that can affect the revenues that I fear this one change along with all the others will get lost.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Total agreement. I can say from my own experience that I won't purchase anything from Zen market that's not account claimable. The prices are completely unrealistic for what you get.

Yup - this. Some stuff is so ludicrously overpriced still, VIP for example. Its just not worth any real life money to get relatively useless stuff from the daily lockboxes.

Oh and yeah I have VIP and the QoL boost isn't worth it really either.
  • Options
    pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

Yup - this. Some stuff is so ludicrously overpriced still, VIP for example. Its just not worth any real life money to get relatively useless stuff from the daily lockboxes.

Oh and yeah I have VIP and the QoL boost isn't worth it really either.
    I have let my VIP slip. Just not seeing a ROI with it. Devs, change my mind!
  • Options
    Instead of discouraging gearing up alts, they should be encouraging it to drive more Zen sales. I have an older alt that I thought about buying the race change for but with the nerfs to account stuff, I guess I will just focus on my main? Which does not need any Zen spend? Does this make sense devs?
  • Options
    I've been playing for 3+ years and I've got 8 toons I work on. The changes have definitely not been in the interest of those of us that like to play on multiple toons. I'll probably stick to just 3 toons max from here on out because it's impossible to keep up with the AD required to upgrade things for that many toons while only being able to refine 100k/day.

I'm not interested in spending 1 year upgrading EQ for one toon at this stage of the game.
  • Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

I've been playing for 3+ years and I've got 8 toons I work on. The changes have definitely not been in the interest of those of us that like to play on multiple toons. I'll probably stick to just 3 toons max from here on out because it's impossible to keep up with the AD required to upgrade things for that many toons while only being able to refine 100k/day.

I'm not interested in spending 1 year upgrading EQ for one toon at this stage of the game.

I had three main characters I was working on. When Chult came out, that went down to two. In September, that went down to one. I can't generate the AD necessary to refine enchantments on two characters, let alone three. With packs being character-specific, it definitely puts a damper on my buying them. I did not buy the Chult pack, but I did buy the Ravenloft pack. I will not be buying the Heart of Fire pack because it's just not worth it. I don't think I'd buy it even if it had account-claimable items in it because I'm just that underwhelmed by it. I really liked the Ravenloft pack, but it does suck that it was character-specific and I doubt I'll be buying any packs in the future if they do not have account-claimable items in them.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,224 Arc User
    The only one pack people should buy when they still can is Dragonborn pack.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

I had three main characters I was working on. When Chult came out, that went down to two. In September, that went down to one. I can't generate the AD necessary to refine enchantments on two characters, let alone three. With packs being character-specific, it definitely puts a damper on my buying them. I did not buy the Chult pack, but I did buy the Ravenloft pack. I will not be buying the Heart of Fire pack because it's just not worth it. I don't think I'd buy it even if it had account-claimable items in it because I'm just that underwhelmed by it. I really liked the Ravenloft pack, but it does suck that it was character-specific and I doubt I'll be buying any packs in the future if they do not have account-claimable items in them.

I hear you. I technically have 8 toons I was working on (one for each class) and have them all in Barovia because it's stupid easy in there as long as you're geared decently. I've done Chult on 3 (soon to be 4) toons but that will be the end of that. My top 3 toons are between 15.5-16.7k and the rest are around 11.5-13k. Which makes them sorta competent lol.

I didn't buy the ravenloft pack because I only wanted the companion for faster currency. I did buy the Chult pack with AD converted to Zen. I don't normally buy the campaign packs because I don't need to rush to get into the dungeon. I definitely find my time, my wifes time and most of my guild buddies time on neverwinter has steadily declined over the last few rounds of changes to the game.

Just look at the forum/social media/in game activity for consoles and it's still noticeable that people are taking breaks or leaving over the changes that have happened and the ones that are coming.

Sadly, just 2 nights ago we had a group of 4 to run dungeons. One DC, one OP, 2 DPS. We queued public figuring it would be an instantaneous queue pop since we only needed one DPS. It was about 5 minutes waiting for the queue to pop. For a DPS! That shouldn't even happen lol.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Since I prefer to play multiple alts, I would have to agree to some of this sentiment, there does seem to be a big push to just basically encapsulate everyone to playing one toon.

This actually started at mod 10, which is why I hated that campaign and that zone, I did parts of it on three toons and never finished it, so time consuming and boring. After I unlocked the Dungeon on a those three I did a few boons like up to 3 or 4 and quit.. I so hated that zone, maybe someday if they rework them Ill go finish it (every mmo Ive played went back and reworked things after basically 2 years to streamline and allow players to catch up.. I still figure they will have to do that here at some point)

The double chult campaign seems a bit over the top (if you allowed at least full account unlock of omu that would've been nice, instead of having to regrind the bottom campaign, even if you open it on another toon, (though bavoria isnt that bad, can be done on a few alts at the same time)

When you start putting the sheer amount of time the campaigns take away, the removal of salvage and leadership, the random queues that focus basically on one toon (because anything beyond RIQ requires a bit of gear to be useful) and viola its very hard to play more then one toon anymore, or even care to play more then one.

Again, to me this started in Mod 10, which almost drove me from the game, they seem to vacillate between a mod of sheer boredom to get 2-3 toons to , to a more easier catch up one at some point. Wish they would stabilize it a bit and just make them all a bit faster to get through, I mean there is no real reason to have them ultra boring, most gamers dont care about makign campaigns longer (in fact the vast majority would rather have them faster and easier) we just want to log on and do things with people, not ride around doing HAMSTER like picking up vblood or running across vast maps to accomplish a repeat quest for the 50th time..

Basically its down to weeklies , a few ransom riq/leveling dungeons and invoking now for alts and well winterfest.

Everything else is actually hurtful to have more then one toon.

Im not asking for like complete boons if you do it on one toon (though guild wards does that basically, you do something on one toon and you get it on the rest (mounts and such) , but like the chult campaign, wouldve been nice to allow poeple to skip redoing the bottom campaign and just go to omu and use the early stuff on boons only, so you didnt have to waste so much time redoing boring quests on a second toon.

You know small things like that go along way.

• Options
    @silverkelt I completely agree. I hate farming voninblod so much that I have only one character that has fully unlocked all the boons - and I have three characters who need only voninblod to finish the campaign! Chult is horribly boring. My wife and I are to the point where we delight in riding past the templars while they cry out for help because we're so sick of rescuing them.
  • Options
    If you sit back and think about it, just about every single decision in this game is a complete contradiction to another decision in the game.

On the one hand, they gave us the ability to unlock dungeons across our account by completing the campaigns on one toon.
    Then they give us things like AD refining limit & rAD gained once per queue per account. So who cares if all my toons can run the dungeons if the main motivator is gone.

They give us double events and then aren't pleased that people were holding things to use during events to maximize value.

They get us used to taking parts in events to earn epic mounts for minimal grind (the griffon was easily attainable during siege(?) by just showing up. Now they give us an epic mount that we have to grind for and pay for.

I'm not saying one decision is better than the other but it feels at times like someone, maybe like a....team lead... should be making a road map of where the game design should be heading as a whole unit. Too many times it feels like the guy working on one side has no clue what the other devs are up to. It becomes obvious when new ideas don't seem to flow together naturally.

It's not an easy thing to get all your "departments" working cohesively. It's the difference between a great game/app/anything in existence that was made/etc and a game that feels lost within itself at times.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Well, once upon a time events in Neverwinter were actually being made for breaking the dull daily grind and giving us something nice in return. But now they've been upgraded into another grind and AD drain.

And i don't understand, where they got that crazy idea from, that messing up the item shop is going to push players buying more ZEN - when they can't even get a single ZEN charge promotion from start to finish without one hiccup after the other in it.
    Or why they believe that "we" will continue spending money here, when the game starts to feel like building something on quicksand, where we never know when something we've invested in will just vanish.

In short, give us something worth spending money/time on, and respect our investment...
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    regenerde said:

Well, once upon a time events in Neverwinter were actually being made for breaking the dull daily grind and giving us something nice in return. But now they've been upgraded into another grind and AD drain.

And i don't understand, where they got that crazy idea from, that messing up the item shop is going to push players buying more ZEN - when they can't even get a single ZEN charge promotion from start to finish without one hiccup after the other in it.
    Or why they believe that "we" will continue spending money here, when the game starts to feel like building something on quicksand, where we never know when something we've invested in will just vanish.

In short, give us something worth spending money/time on, and respect our investment...

Quoted for truth - I used to do the special events... but now? This one? No thanks as its confusing, hard to work out what to do, very poorly explained by the quest givers and generally been a funk up with a stupidly low drop rate which has caused much anger.

Really please, think out the events in advance and give players a reason to play
  • Options
    cts2000#2706 cts2000 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Sad thing for me is that I am really looking forward to the Winter Festival, but now I do so, very apprehensibly. Considering the changes that have been made this year, where the game is heading, and things that are bugged like this Masquerade event...I ask the developers, as a player, how confident should we feel that Winter Fest will not be a total screw up as well? More importantly, what incentive is there for the public to spend money on your product?
  • Options

I used to do the special events... but now? This one? No thanks as its confusing, hard to work out what to do, very poorly explained by the quest givers and generally been a funk up with a stupidly low drop rate which has caused much anger.

Really please, think out the events in advance and give players a reason to play

This, especially the bold part. I don't understand why they don't type up a primer for the event and put it up on their site as part of the News section. This is something that Turbine/Standing Stone Games does very well for DDO. To be honest, I stay away from most of the events because I don't understand them and lack the patience to go learn about them. Why do I lack the patience? Because there are many other things I want to do in the game, as well, and I don't want to spend a lot of time learning how to run an event because I feel like I'm wasting time by fumbling around trying to figure it out. An explainer would go a long way to improving participation in events. @nitocris83, are you listening?
  • Options
    My alts have just as much personality and history, etc as my main. I get them companions that fit them, fashions, mounts, etc. I mostly make one of each class and races I want to play. I use to like running each through the random dungeon to get AD as it gave me a chance to play each class on a regular basis. But now with the account limit, I do professions on them and invoke but they never leave the fire ring. And now with M15 changes it sounds like I will not even be doing much of that.

When I first started playing, I had 4 accounts, etc with the max 2 toons. My guild mates suggested just going with one account and buying slots so that is what I did. Then with the move towards AD account limits and dungeon run limits, it actually makes more sense to run those 4 accounts. IDK, this seems like a complete cluster HAMSTER of a message for your player base.
  • Options
    keziah#5074 keziah Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    As a new player (one month so far) I am liking neverwinter and as such decided to buy some packs and things from the zen store. All was good until I bought the ravenloft pack and was shocked to find out I only got the mount and companion on one character for that large of an amount of money. I told my husband who also started a month ago that I won't buy packs anymore if that is how they all will be. We have played almost every major mmo in the last 15+ years and I have seen many games with cash shops. But the cost here for things that only ONE character on your account gets is extreme. Some players like me have problems picking one main (I call it Multiple Alt Disorder) so buying things that only one character gets is a waste of real life money. Unlike some of the veteran players I don't have tons of AD to spend or convert so I spend real money in the zen store and the policy of one and done claims makes me not want to spend any money on Zen. From experience when a game becomes so unfriendly to new players and costly it doesn't bode well, please rethink the single claims.
  • Options
    I just read the new changes to the chests, keys, RAD, salvage, etc. There is a larger methodology at work here and I just don't understand it. But these changes seem to keep edging me out from wanting to play. Some other people here mentioned that they liked playing all their alts. I did too. Which is why I liked the RAD bonus for each. It allowed me to play each of my alts. I haven't really played at all since the last update to RAD.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    The game is moving away from items that allow us to claim in on many characters; this change is simply to drive more revenue into their pockets at the expense of pushing those of us away who typically buy packs. I own all of the packs that can be claimed on account. I own 4 mounts as well for any of my characters. The game over the past year has moved from account friendly model to forcing our hands to play mainly one character. This has resulted in me putting aside not one but 5 characters that were all IL 13K+. Now I play only 3 and mostly just one character that being my DC due to how easy it is to get into content.

I'm all but ready to simply say bye bye NWO due to all the changes to the game around account vs. character and forcing me to focus on just 1 character.

I would like to see this fixed but given that it was done for financial reasons I'm pretty sure it won't be fixed or resolved. If that is the case, other games like ESO, Red Dead Redemption, etc... will be getting what money I would have spent on NWO.

The devs can make changes for themselves to ensure higher revenue and we the players also can make steps to show that we disapprove of these changes by not buying into NWO any more and putting our money elsewhere. It is called a choice and we have that as players, always had and always will.

I enjoyed NWO for the past 2+ years and I want to continue to play it but there are to many changes that I see myself saying so long NWO...
    bmcd73 said:

I just read the new changes to the chests, keys, RAD, salvage, etc. There is a larger methodology at work here and I just don't understand it. But these changes seem to keep edging me out from wanting to play. Some other people here mentioned that they liked playing all their alts. I did too. Which is why I liked the RAD bonus for each. It allowed me to play each of my alts. I haven't really played at all since the last update to RAD.

I actually like these changes to keys, RAD, salvage and even the LB. The key changes will be similar to what we had prior to key gate about 2 years ago but now we can reroll and maybe get something we want instead of leaving out anything...it is a neat change IMO.

As for salvage vs. getting RAD from content - right now you don't need to run a dungeon to get AD this floods the market with AD and causes issues with the zen exchange. Now you have to play dungeons to earn RAD, this is a good change of pace and should have been in place a long time ago.

Hopefully the armor we get from chest or other content we can convert to RP or sell for gold.

As for the game in general...I play an AC DC and a CW. My AC DC is fine come mod 15 but my CW will need respect tokens and I'm pretty sure they didn't hand them out once again and that is a bit of annoyance if they did not give these out considering how big the changes are for TR, HR, CW, DC, etc...
  • Options
    I see the new consult pack. I'm assuming this is a single character claim as well. Now that my VIP ran up I have completely stopped playing. I guess I will keep checking back and hope they change these packs and direction to be more alt friendly.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    The good, they finally updated the remaining major packs with more account-wide content.
    The bad, those that bought packs in the past can neither buy the new ones nor upgrade the old ones in any way.
    The ugly, no official response on this HAMSTER for weeks now...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    Want to know why?