test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Customize Interface

zaarrzaarr Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited August 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello everyone !
I just returned to Neverwinter after years of not playing, and I gotta say that I really love what I'm seeing, it seems that the whole game has tremendously improved on every level, it's hard for me to log out once I'm ingame !
I'd just like to remove 2 things on my interface that annoy me a bit though : the big dot that's above our heads, and the lightning path that guides us from quest to quest.
I searched in the options ingame but couldn't find a way to remove those things, do you think there's a way to do that ?
Thanks !

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,149 Arc User
    Targeting reticle: can't do anything about.

Fairy light trail: press Z.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • zaarrzaarr Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Targeting reticle: can't do anything about.

Damn ... they have the same reticle in Secret World Legends, but we can choose the shape, the size, or even remove it completely ... are there mods maybe for Neverwinter that could change the UI ?
    greywynd said:

Fairy light trail: press Z.

Excellent, I'll try that as soon as I get ingame ;)

Thanks !!
    I now have another question, but I'm afraid I already know the answer : I'm a Trickster Rogue, and now that I've reached lv.10, I have a Stealth Ability (which is nice), with some sort of Stealth gauge next to my character (which is not that nice), is there any way to remove it from my UI ?
    As you may have guessed, I love a clean UI, with as less elements as possible ;)
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    I am pretty sure that using any such mod (if it exists) to change or remove the targeting reticle would violate the terms of service.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    I don't know of a way to remove it, but don't trust me because - to be honest - I have never tried to remove it. There is a similar gauge when playing a guardian fighter, great weapon fighter, paladin, cleric, and warlock. The one for the warlock is only on-screen when you have the feats and/or powers that rely on it; otherwise, it is not there. The utility of this element, especially for those classes, outweighs any annoyance its presence might bring. For the rogue, as far as I know, it's only useful to know when you have full stealth meter again in order to go back into stealth and for knowing when you're about to run out so you can decide your actions based on that.
  • misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 194 Arc User
    Just press B and play. Almost nothing in your way then ;)

Just press B and play. Almost nothing in your way then ;)

Haha I like that, yes, I might try it just to see :p
    But seriously, we should be able to customize this Interface more, I mean, that's possible in most other MMOs I play so why not here ?
    I understand that some things like the Stealth meter (or whatever this is called) can be useful, but at least let us put it on the side of the screen, not right in the middle next to our character !

There is a similar gauge when playing a guardian fighter, great weapon fighter, paladin, cleric, and warlock.

Hmm ... so if I don't wanna have this big thing right in front of me, I need to play a Ranger or a Wizard ? :/

• nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    zaarr said:

There is a similar gauge when playing a guardian fighter, great weapon fighter, paladin, cleric, and warlock.

Hmm ... so if I don't wanna have this big thing right in front of me, I need to play a Ranger or a Wizard ? :/

Well, if you play a warlock, just stay away from the Soulbringer paragon path. Stick with Hellbringer and you have no meter! :D

The GF's meter is for blocking, near as I can tell. I don't play mine often. When I do, I notice the meter draining when I'm blocking and it goes back up when I stop. I don't find this one to be too obtrusive (it's a pale blue).

The GWF's meter is much more in-your-face because it's a rather bright, reddish gold color when it's full. It fills as you fight and actually flashes a little when it's full.

The paladin's is also a pale blue, while the cleric's is a pale yellow. I find I actually have to intentionally look for these meters when I want to find them because my mind just screens their presence right out. Especially with the cleric's, I find I have to actually hunt for this when I want to check if it's full.

I think the paladin's actually fades out until you press Tab to use that ability and then fades back out when it's full. You'll have to double-check with other people on the forums on that one, though, because it could just be my mind screening it out again.

EDIT: I checked. The paladin's meter is always visible. So it's just my own mind choosing to ignore it.
    Post edited by nunya#5309 on
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hi @zaarr ! Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! I'm tagging our UI artist and UX designer since this type if feedback is always useful for them :)

@midnightlight#2361 @uimaven
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    @zaarr and @nitocris83 I have been looking for a method to remove the target reticle too. I have done A LOT of research into the GUI. You can do some modifications, if you edit your saved gui file and then reload it. Read my wiki tips -> HERE on how to go beyond the scope of the game interface. Unfortunately I cannot find anything to hide the reticle which made no sense to me since day one and I play control wizards!

I seriously doubt we could get this, but I will toss it "out there" for review, and hopefully the GUI developer can either work with us, or at least consider adding something like this to the current program. Over on the original Guild Wars, that came out in 2006, users there started using a 3rd party program meant for Tomb Raider called "TexMod" which actually captures Direct X and not the game itself. This allowed players to change the appearance of the GUI only on their end and not for everyone. Universal Modding Engine (uMod) is an open-source version of TexMod made from scratch because no one knows who made TexMod.

Their company, ArenaNet, looks at this as harmless but issued the blanket statement: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By downloading using this program you acknowledge that you cannot hold ANYONE responsible for what happens to your game or account.

Their community manager then said, "To all modders: It's important to note that the parameters concerning the use of third-party programs do still apply. We cannot condone the use of such programs, and we cannot support the accounts of those who may be negatively impacted in using such programs. That's called the "If it eats your hard drive and blows up your refrigerator, don't call us" policy."

Meanwhile, the game was greatly improved by the program, so much, that a developer downloaded and used the "user corrected" graphics for more than one weapon in the game. I am not promoting the use of 3rd party software in Neverwinter, as I stated above, I would rather it be part of the game itself. You can read about this on their official wiki.
    wb-cenders.gif

Hi @zaarr ! Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! I'm tagging our UI artist and UX designer since this type if feedback is always useful for them :)

@midnightlight#2361 @uimaven

Oh yes I'm enjoying it a lot !
    To be honest, I tried it out when it first came out and didn't like it that much, but I returned to it just a few days ago after watching a video on YouTube, and man does it have changed for the better !
    I'm probably gonna buy some more character slots to create alts cos every Class and Race seems to have some specific game mechanics, and even specific Quests !

But yes, I think that more customization is always better, it would be nice if people like me could get a very clean UI, without the target reticle, without the Class Ability meter, with a smaller d20 and everything, and of course people who like to have a lot of information on their screen could still keep it !
    Maybe some options in the Option menu ?
    If we could have something like the Elder Scrolls Online interface and camera view, with the Neverwinter game experience, I probably would never play any other MMO ever again :p
    zaarr said:

But yes, I think that more customization is always better, ...

Some of the things you mentioned above are within a confines of the Options menu. To reduce the size of GUI objects globally. You can go to options, interface, and use the scale interface from 0.5 to 2.0. To move, resize, and hide (some not all) you can use Rearrange HUD.

Click the images above to see full size.

wb-cenders.gif
    Yes I've tweaked a few things thanks to this, but the customization is really limited, for instance it seems that I cannot change the size of the big d20 that's used for the Action Points, which is a cool idea but takes a bit too much space in my opinion :/
    Maybe Jules Norcross will come up with a much simpler solution for us all. I am content to wait as these things take some time. Meanwhile if you have any tweaks you care to share, you can add them on my wiki "talk page" or PM me here. Thanks! <3
    wb-cenders.gif