test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elven Gear item levels

Since you insist on keeping Elven gear instead of phasing it out, how about making it item level 40-55?
All we have now is Illyanbruen from Sharandar.

Comments

• Options
    eclipseblood#1326 eclipseblood Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    They're keeping elven gear for salvage purposes, using it is fine but if u use the seals u get from epics u can buy better gear. Mod 14 u can get primal gear/rings/weaponsweapons, no point in updating outdated gear.
  • Options
    cap1776cap1776 Member Posts: 54 Arc User

They're keeping elven gear for salvage purposes, using it is fine but if u use the seals u get from epics u can buy better gear. Mod 14 u can get primal gear/rings/weaponsweapons, no point in updating outdated gear.

This is one thing that I find to be the most frustrating thing in the game... You work and work to get a good set of items, and bust your butt to level them... then a new mod comes out and it not only makes the current campaign pretty much obsolete, but the gear, which might have the best bonuses ever for your build, becomes a detriment to your Item level. I am frankly pretty much at a loss as to the benefits of doing any early campaigns, especially since they give the free equip from Ravenloft the minute that you hit 70.

Why can't they set it up so that a player can continue to upgrade the gear they have IF they still want to use it?

Why don't I enjoy Sharandar or Dread ring? Because every time I find an item, my base stuff is better. The only things that we get from those areas now are boons, and the only reasons to get those are for the IL boost. It never feels like I've achieved anything when I get one.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    The old gear is good for salvage as @eclipseblood mentioned, and also for transmutes. IMO, the Thayan gear from DR is the best looking set in the game. Not that other items don't look good, of course, I liked some of the pvp sets (some of the warborn pieces are pretty nice) and a few other misc bits here and there, but as a full set, Thayan is my favorite. They should change them to BoE so people have a reason to grind and then sell that stuff for transmutes.
  • Options
    nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I'm thinking about using some of the pieces as transmutes on my GWF. Very cool looking. As far as outdated gear is concerned, that's just the nature of MMOs.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
  • Options
    frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    The old gear is also good for younger characters who still need to grind out those zones.
    Nothing more boring than melting everything in sight or being impossible to hurt.
  • Options
    constantmule#4943 constantmule Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    cap1776 said:

but the gear, which might have the best bonuses ever for your build, becomes a detriment to your Item level.

THIS! i hate it..i am at a constant "hmm do i want to go further in the game and become weaker, or do i want to keep being able to not friggin die/ actually still be able to kill things

its insane, the entire item level system is horrid no matter what they try to do with it. some gear 120 points lower will give you 600 more crit, or ap etc..

.yes, lets make it so some classes in the game will always run around in green/blue armor if they want to actually be effective in their role or they have the option of going for the purples and being HAMSTER all the way until they finally manage to get the new BIS .......4 days b4 a new mod comes out
  • Options
    veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited August 2018

lets make it so some classes in the game will always run around in green/blue armor if they want to actually be effective in their role

This is a hyperbole if I ever saw one. The discrepancies between 'BIS' and maximum Item Level is barely noticeable I'd say. The only serious example that comes to mind is the Demogorgon set as a dps class. Between BIS and second and even third best options; most could be found in the last 3 major releases. (Initial chult + Omu + Ravenloft). Rex chest/head Decaying Habit / Oathlord / Primal gloves. Not to even mention the cloak/belt options which got released during this time frame (this isn't even an exhaustive list).

So can we get some examples in specifics of what gear for a meta class and build
    BIS verses max IL you are looking at?
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    kvet said:

The old gear is good for salvage as @eclipseblood mentioned, and also for transmutes. IMO, the Thayan gear from DR is the best looking set in the game. Not that other items don't look good, of course, I liked some of the pvp sets (some of the warborn pieces are pretty nice) and a few other misc bits here and there, but as a full set, Thayan is my favorite. They should change them to BoE so people have a reason to grind and then sell that stuff for transmutes.

I've felt the same way about the look of DR gear, for just about every class.

But then....wasn't that like, the 2nd mod release? What does that say about art design choices by devs for armor, if the mod 2 gear still looks the best 4+ years and 12 mods later?
  • Options
    nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Thayan is my fav too, with Primal a close second.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
  • Options
    eclipseblood#1326 eclipseblood Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    The armor styles usually have to fit the current mod, so they are usually a bit limited in their styling. DR is pretty good looking all around tho.
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Commenting on the aesthetic of the gear: we try to make gear fit both the mood/theme of the content, fit our development timeline, and also pass WotC's review and standards. These factors always change from module to module (WotC standards continue to evolve over time) so retrofitting gear isn't always an option (we can keep existing stuff as is but there are limitations on how much we can use older visuals for current content).
  • Options
    rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    This is one of the problems with older MMOs; the cobwebs. They just build up and are never cleaned or updated. Typically this is due to power creep at the top of the game.