test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New content only for the highly geared?

sp1derqueensp1derqueen Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Hi,
I ve stopped playing neverwinter at storm's king thunder (still had a lot things to do).
12k gear score.
When I tried to return at tomb of annihilation I was easily killed by many things outside the city. I managed to do some quests but it was allmost annoying (dying frequently that is).
I also saw that the difficult attained gear that I had was outdated.
With not so many astral diamonds to spare, I was wondering...
Is it possible for a returning player to play just the new content or I have no other choise but to farm my way through the campaigns I skipped and then be able to enjoy the new content?

Comments

• Options
    eclipseblood#1326 eclipseblood Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    If ur returning a guild can really help u catch up, ask if anyone is doing the new area. I believe a new mod drops soon for PC so I would ask in looking for grp/alliance if there are players coming through the introduction/dailies.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    I fully expect Ravenloft to follow Chult on the list of campaigns; the recommended way of doing the campaigns is start at the top and work your way down to more difficult.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    With the Mod 14 coming today, you'll be able to buy the Primal stuff (gear and weapons) on the seals vendor as seals of the Brave will be the standard ones. So with that stuff it should be good enough to solo Chult content without problem.
    You can grind the boons from the previous campaign as some are good and useful, but if you don't, you still can play the new content.

But new content is meant to be more difficult, to keep people entertained.
  • Options
    bayaz#7892 bayaz Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    As far as my last visit on preview went, you just need to play the ravenloft intro (10 mins max and very easy) to get a decent/good-enough weapon set and then i would advice running an hour or two doing rituals in the river district to get seals for primal gear to have the basic gear needed for the new stuff covered.

Then your enchants, especially bondings, will determine how high up the food chain you can play.

I hope you have participatet in the Jubillee.Among other great things, they gave away 1.5 legendary companions there, via the upgrade tokens and those would help you a ton in the newest content.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The free chest piece from the Raveloft intro gives a +5% damage buff in the new content which will be a big help.

Since you left, enchantments got a buff (except bondings which were nerfed) and they are easier to upgrade. Getting to rank 10s are much easier now.

If you have upgraded relic weapons, those will be ok in the new area until you can get Primal. I checked out the new zone on an character (cleric) transfered to preview back before mod 13, so still using Aboleth set (same damage as relic) and it was not a problem. The new free weapons are same grade as Primal, with a worse bonus. I wouldn't waste resources upgrading those since you can get Primals doing anything now.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

There are many ways to improve your character without spending a lot of AD. Here are a few suggestions.
    • Join a good guild. That will not only make it easier to find people to play or trade with, but you will also gain some IL - as much as 1500 for a maxed-out guild.
    • Slowly work your way through all the campaigns and get all the boons. Yes, some of them are slow and annoying, but eventually you will want all of them.
    • Make good use of all events. For example, when you have the Siege event, participate every day to get the Siegebreaker Griffon. Equip it with the right insignia to get the Wanderer's Fortune bonus. That will give you a constant trickle of refinement materials. You will need a lot of RPs as you level up your enchantments and gear.
    • The Jubilee event that just finished was another good one - very significant giveaways.
    • The Summer Festival that is coming up will also give you some good things - the Fungal Flail Snail mount has a choice of bonuses, and one of them should be suitable for most classes.
    • Grab good gear whenever it is available for little or nothing. For example, you may not be ready to play through Ravenloft, but you can go there, do the introduction quests and get some really nice starting gear for free.
    • Use the utility slots on your gear. When you are leveling up, you might want to put XP gain stones there, and when doing PvP or in a group, you might want Movement, but when playing solo, you really want Quartermaster enchants (which you can get from the Siege event); Fey Blessing and/or Dragon Horde enchants. This will give you even more RPs (or possibly bags to donate to your guild for GMs)
    • Level up your Leadership Profession, and use it to make RP bags - as I said, you will need a lot (quite a few millions) of RPs.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    sp1derqueensp1derqueen Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thank you all for your replies!
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I have a chaos mage with 10,500 il (close to what you get from the Ravenloft starter gear), and I was able to do the daily and solo a heroic encounter. (It was the "protect the merchant" encounter. I walked over, saw the two green names, and assumed that they were PCs. Fortunately, I only aggroed half the ghouls or whatever, and was able to dodge/retreat fast enough to wear them down that I didn't die.)
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    You can get a FULL set of item level 460 gears in the beginning of the quest. It is really a FULL set. There are: head, arm, chest, foot, neck, waist, main hand, off hand, 2 rings, 2 underwear and 3 dummy artifacts (that should be replaced ASAP). And, the slots are filled with rank 8 enchantments. Hence, if a fresh brand new level 70 reaches there, you can be fully equipped (assuming you obtained one free Artifact before reaching level 60).

These are character bound gears (the enchantment is not bound). Hence, these are aimed for those level 70 who have lower than "norm" gear to play the new content.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 36 Arc User

You can get a FULL set of item level 460 gears in the beginning of the quest. It is really a FULL set. There are: head, arm, chest, foot, neck, waist, main hand, off hand, 2 rings, 2 underwear and 3 dummy artifacts (that should be replaced ASAP).

Are those good for anything if you already have a full set of artifacts?
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    swamarian said:

As far as I know they are utterly useless.

Of course, if I was an evil-minded developer, I might add a quest, say a year from now, to turn those into real, working artifacts....and yes, require the Promisory note too. ;)
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    swamarian said:

You can get a FULL set of item level 460 gears in the beginning of the quest. It is really a FULL set. There are: head, arm, chest, foot, neck, waist, main hand, off hand, 2 rings, 2 underwear and 3 dummy artifacts (that should be replaced ASAP).

Those are garbage artifact. They are not even real Artifact but an item with one stat to fill 3 extra Artifact slots. It can be temporary useful for fresh level 70 who did not get any artifact (except the first free one) to fill the slots for some stat.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    adinosii said:

Of course, if I was an evil-minded developer, I might add a quest, say a year from now, to turn those into real, working artifacts....and yes, require the Promisory note too. ;)

Too Funny! As I told someone in chat today; "They would be the next Bag of Holes in the AH, but they are bound to character.".

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    adinosii said:

swamarian said:

I still have my promissory note, just saying.
  • Options
    rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

Hi,
    I ve stopped playing neverwinter at storm's king thunder (still had a lot things to do).
    12k gear score.
    When I tried to return at tomb of annihilation I was easily killed by many things outside the city. I managed to do some quests but it was allmost annoying (dying frequently that is).
    I also saw that the difficult attained gear that I had was outdated.
    Is it possible for a returning player to play just the new content or I have no other choise but to farm my way through the campaigns I skipped and then be able to enjoy the new content?

With the new mod up you can just jumt to the new zone with a 7 or 8k toon and get armor and weapons you need to catch up, and the primal set and weapons a reaaaaly easy to get now, you can farm the full set in Heroic encountes in a weekend with no effort...

Best time to come back...
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    getting here is easy, 8-10k can do the ambush and wolf attack and then go to Barovia for the armor. My 10-11k are having problems, the 12ks not as much. My main is 15+k and has some problems (doing preview helped).
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I only had trouble with my 11k trapper HR doing the intro quest to Ravenloft. But he is all offense very little defense, so it is understandable. No way to regenerate health, so not so easy to survive.
  • Options
    yirarax#1742 yirarax Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    You can use an undergeared, fresh (3k IL) toon to do the intro quest an succeed. The NPC's kill all the mobs just fine, then it's just riding through the area fast until you reach the gate, at which point all mobs chasing you are gone and you get free gear. Get's a fresh toon to IL 7K~ ish.
  • Options
    tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User

adinosii said:

swamarian said:

I still have all of mine as well. xD

• Options
    shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

adinosii said:

swamarian said:

I still have all of mine as well. xD

I’m half expecting that note to be required when they finally add personal player housing :D