We were in a dungeon, chasing this team mate up far ahead of us. I was lamenting that the rest of us didn't have high enough dark enchants for speed to keep up with him, when I started having these dream-like flashbacks.
I was playing this MMO, where all sorts of colorful things happened:
- We had this cleric, potions, and very low life steal. This cleric kept us alive. She had a job to do, and took great pride in watching and managing our slowly deteriorating health bars, zooming them back up at critical points.
- It wasn't enough though, and this tank guy, tough as nails, distracted our enemies - particularly their big guy, enough to let the rest of us do our work. We used to get ready, wait for this guy to get their attention, then charge in around the sides to flank them.
- My job was to stop the enemy in their tracks long enough to get everyone a breath. In some places I had the very clear job of repelling really big guys off the edge of rocky bridges. It was an important job, and if I didn't do it right within a few attempts, my party were forced to get somebody who could. It was awesome!
- It took a while to wear our enemies down, and we had to develop special techniques and cooperate really well.
- There was this thing called "Kiting"! When the chips were down, somebody who was tough enough, or fast enough, could smack a boss or mob hard, then run around trying to dodge them we slowly got ready for our next smack. When it got tough, you could use this in many places.
We learned how the team could wait for a good kiter to smack a scorpion and him him to chase you up field, where the kiter just did their best to stay alive, leaving the rest of the party to finish the other scorpion. Together, those scorpions were just too tough.
We learned that you could kite between the top and the bottom of some stairs, keeping this lethal boss Idris distracted enough for the party to do it's work. She was lethal, but stupid
We learned how to kite in large circles, chased by huge mobs, while the party smacked away at a frost giant boss.
There was a lot going on. Your attacks built slowly, but so did theirs. Your gear was a part of what you brought, and your skills were critical, but you also relied on everyone else. You had time to think, to assess, to use the territory to your advantage, and move around to gain critical advantage.
Sometimes we'd get down to our last battle-worthy team mate, perhaps surrounded by dragons, and this guy might take a minute of dodging, hitting, trying to last long enough to drink another health potion, long enough to wear them down. Fallen comrades would actually urge him on from the side, and "You got this!", or "You can do this!" were things that actually got said!! When you came through with those ones, it was great to be that guy. You walked off, really happy that you'd rocked up.
Just a faded dream now. Anyone here have similar flashbacks?
Anyone here remember the name of that MMO?