test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning Player Insight on Random System & Players abusing the system

ryonasryonas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 158 Arc User
Doing Random Dungeon Run & Skirmish spices gaming experience I love it not sticking to cloak tower on my alts & leaving the rest of content
BIG ++

Here is the cons
===
Players queue .. Oh it is long dungeon .. ok I will leave and let the others kick me after they (others) stayed over 15 minutes

Kicking system is not rewarding committed players who play content

Solution
===
Add in the Vote to Kick option called Intentional Disconnect

Make a static integer variable that stores how many times a player on his account was kicked due to Intentional Disconnect

Put Conditional IF that checks if the character is actually disconnected if that is true >> this way Teammates are not abusing the system

Then
Increment that variable

If that variable exceeds threshold of value 3 then disable this player from queue for 30 Minutes on his whole account

===
Could we have that .. I believe that this would stop people from early disconnecting the dungeon

If they don't wanna do the dungeon they got the option to vote to abandon the dungeon

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    sykatrixsykatrix Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    How about whenever someone in a random queue disconnects (rather than abandons) before the party has entered, they get flagged so whenever they random queue in that tier they get sent to the same content every time until they either complete it or pay the leaver penalty

If the disconnect was not intentional then they won't care, if it was deliberate, then either they sort themselves out or never random queue in that tier again.

The only downside is that it's a bit hard on the other party members, but not much different from now really

• Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I still see one main problem with the player "vote to kick for intentionally disconnect", how does any regular player actually know another player "intentionally disconnects" and wasn't disconnected because of a faulty connection or some other kind of random glitch?

It may be possible for the programmers to do something to tell if players intentionally by clicking on: "abandon instance" or "change character", but with VIP privileges like sign post traveling and transport to Moonstone Mask or just closing down the client window and rebooting, there are currently so many ways a player can leave a dungeon or skirmish it would probably be impossible for any programmer to cover every possible method a player could use to intentionally disconnect.

I have always been and remain in favor of in game - programmed method for removing players from dungeons and skirmishes if they are disconnected more than a minute and disallowing any disconnected player from being able to log into the same party they disconnected from making it necessary for them to have to re-queue for a different dungeon or skirmish. There has always been a problem with some players deciding to kick out another party member simply because someone doesn't think one person is playing the way they should (not fast enough, not geared properly, etc.) and I think this is a problem that should be resolved.

Also I believe it would be possible for the programmers to factor in some kind of distance rule... if a player has not traveled "x" distance in "x" seconds they could be removed by a programmed default for being AFK.

This will completely end any group from intentionally kicking out a player they are unhappy with (for what ever reason) before the current 15 minute wait period and as most dungeons and skirmishes can now be completed within the 15 minute time period, no party will be able to kick out a player simply because they disagree with a person's play style... unless they want to wait 15 minutes to do so.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Still say kick the leaver up to 24 hours and across the account.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    Can't give players power to negative affect other players, it *will* be abused in some way.

The disconnect situation is ugly. I would suggest give the abandon penalty also on autokick for being disconnected too long.

The 5 minutes grace before linkdead people are removed is long enough to avoid accidential disconnects to trigger this.

If some innocent players occasionally should happen to get it, it is not that big an issue, 30 minutes blocked from queues should not ruin anyones life :)
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Can't give players power to negative affect other players, it *will* be abused in some way.

The disconnect situation is ugly. I would suggest give the abandon penalty also on autokick for being disconnected too long.

The 5 minutes grace before linkdead people are removed is long enough to avoid accidential disconnects to trigger this.

If some innocent players occasionally should happen to get it, it is not that big an issue, 30 minutes blocked from queues should not ruin anyones life :)

But, apparently, the 30 minute leaver penalty IS enough to ruin someone's life... :smirk:
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    greywynd said:

Still say kick the leaver up to 24 hours and across the account.

I used to think a 24 hour leaver penalty was excessive, especially as I keep mentioning none of us as regular players have any way of knowing if a player intentionally left the content or was removed by circumstances beyond their control.

But upon reflection I suppose there is a way to differentiate between players who leave content and those who have been disconnected for whatever reason, so count me on board for the 24 hour account wide leaver penalty.

Some players have a pretty good sense of how long it takes for a party to complete or progress in a given dungeon. I've seen some players disconnect (but I can't say with any authority they intentionally disconnected) then reconnect just about the time the remainig party members are at or close to the last boss gate.

That's why in addition to having an in game programmed response to remove disconnected players from the dungeon they were in after say 2 minutes, I think that person should be required to requeue and blocked from entering the same dungeon with the same party.

As for "leavers" -vs- "disconnected" players, I believe there is a way to tell the difference.

Post edited by chidion on
  • Options
    lunari#8880 lunari Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I agree something needs to be done with this abuse. Yesterday alone I spent nearly 20+ minutes with people "disconnecting" then they get booted but the "reenforcements request" would bring another to enter and "disconnect." This happens so much in skrimishes especially the underdark ones. I was REALLy bothered by this because you know they were intentional. Otherwise the disconnect someone may go through can return within 5minutes or so. At the end of the day no matter what can be done, someone out there will find a way to cheat the system and that REALLY sucks...
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    People with multiple characters on their account don't seem to be greatly bothered by the current leaver penalty because I believe it only applies to that character - not all of the characters on a player's account...

That's something I would like to see changed. If a character on a player's account is given a leaver penalty, it applies to all characters on that player's account, not just that one that leaves or intentionally disconnects.

But here again we are speaking about player behavior, not the ramifications of the random queue system.
  • Options
    Only affects one character, which is why they will disconnect and you can still find them in game on another character.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    People with multiple accounts should not have a problem taking the leavers penalty. But I'm sure there are people who will still disconnect. Adding the leavers penalty that starts after a disconnected player is removed from the instance would extend the penalty and may incentive people to leave properly.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I believe there are many things that 'can be done' to improve random queues - but as I keep mentioning most of it revolves around a voluntary adjustment in player behavior rather than a need for game reprogramming.
    Post edited by chidion on
  • Options
    And yet in other threads people want the game programmed around player behavior as it is. I'd much rather see the players reprogram themselves to be better. More polite at the very least.
  • Options
    marv700#9957 marv700 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    Once again, this is an attempt at finding a solution for a problem that shouldn't exist. Let folks private queue and the problem is solved.
  • Options
    They can queue privately. They just can't get AD for it.
  • Options
    sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    chidion said:

I believe there are many things that 'can be done' to improve random queues - but as I keep mentioning most of it revolves around a voluntary adjustment in player behavior rather than a need for game reprogramming.

greywynd said:

And yet in other threads people want the game programmed around player behavior as it is. I'd much rather see the players reprogram themselves to be better. More polite at the very least.

I don't disagree with the premise of what either of you are saying, but I do think it is impossible to expect all people to behave or be courteous, whichever word you prefer to use. I, of course, would love that to not be the case, but some people will always be "that way." It's why the human race as a whole can't have nice things. It isn't everyone, by any means, but it is enough of a percentage to ensure there will always be cheating, working the system, poor attitudes, and a group of us standing off to one side saying "Are they serious right now? Were they raised by wild animals or pirates?"

So while I approve of your posts, I can't be on board, if that makes any sense?

• Options
    Trying to move beyond just complaining or suggesting the same implausible suggestions that have already been decided against, it might help if we tried to identify the core reasons for some of the complaints we see repeatedly mentioned.

Most players seem willing and able to adapt to speed runners, slow runners, over geared and under geared players in a party so I'm ignoring those complaints for the time being.

The primary real complaints as I think of them appear to be:

Kicking other players out of runs...

Dealing with AFK and disconnected players...

Dealing with "leavers"...

Here are my personal thoughts regarding those three specific points -

Kicking other players;

Wanting to kick out another players simply because some player thinks they are too slow, too fast, or not geared appropriately for the content should never be a factor. As far as I'm concerned the only valid reason for removing another player is the player in question is either AFK or disconnected and doesn't allow for the ultimate completion of any content within the given "suggested play time". That some players are able to get to the final gate faster than other players and have to wait for slower players, does not define "suggested play time".

Disconnected AFK players;

Presently a party has the ability to kick a player for “inactivity” after a designated 15 minute period, I don’t think that should be changed. No player actively participating in random content should be removed in less than half of the "suggested playing time" IMO.

There should be some kind of in game programmed trigger, to automatically remove Disconnected players for multiple disconnects, or disconnects of more than "X" seconds, my personal suggestion would be 120 seconds (two minutes).

There should be some kind of in game programmed trigger, to automatically remove any player who has not moved more than “X” steps for a given time period.

Since I have no idea how distance is measured in the game I’ll just toss out an arbitrary –
    1\8th of the distance from the start point to the end point, along the marked path for 180 seconds. (not simply jumping up and down, running around in circles, or a random direction)
    This should give players inclined to “explore” or whatever, plenty of time to do so without excessively delaying the progression of other players (we're talking 3 minutes here).

“Leaver” players;

A player who “leaves” because they don’t care for the content they were randomly placed in, or the other players they were randomly partied with, should have an account wide lockout of at least 30 minutes before they can attempt the same or similar random content again.

Most of these proposed possible solutions have been offered by other posters, I just wanted to try to enumerate a few of these suggestions to try to get the discussion going in a positive forward direction.

No amount of programming or change is going to adjust player attitued or behavior but limiting the methods where player behavior can exploit existing game parameters for their personal benefit seems to be a good idea to me.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Why not replace the player who disconnects with an AI same gear and loadout? They follow and fight (just like your pet). If the disconnect was an accident the player replaces the AI, assuming they get reconnected before the halfway mark. After that the AI finishes in their place and they don't get any reward. Disconnection no longer upsets people at all and the dungeon can be completed as planned.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

chidion said:

greywynd said:

I don't disagree with the premise of what either of you are saying, but I do think it is impossible to expect all people to behave or be courteous, whichever word you prefer to use. I, of course, would love that to not be the case, but some people will always be "that way." It's why the human race as a whole can't have nice things. It isn't everyone, by any means, but it is enough of a percentage to ensure there will always be cheating, working the system, poor attitudes, and a group of us standing off to one side saying "Are they serious right now? Were they raised by wild animals or pirates?"

Arrr.. don't you be bad-mouthin' thems what was blessed enuff to be raised by pirates. Ye scalawag. Arrr.
  • Options

greywynd said:

I am an Idealist by nature, but a Realist by experience.
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Ok, there are probably ways this idea could be improved, but as a quick idea, and it would take quite a bit of housekeeping, but if they made all queue content simultaneous gateway after connect, they could alter the timer for kick.
    So like PoM Totdg IG etc, everyone ports into a lobby with a campfire and a gate activates when everyone steps into it.

They could set it to 3 minutes in that pre gateway slot, and if someone was disconnected or just hanging back they could be kicked.
    Apply a similar algorithm as suggested to track how often someone is getting kicked for being disconnected/AFK. No penalty for first time. Then on next RQ, as suggested, send them back to the same content and impose benching penalties after two DC/AFK. Maybe have a reset on the game day reset? So its not eternal.
    And... to stop them simply gating and THEN DCing, have markers along the linear dungeon path, so when they finally DC out, or are booted over hanging back, the bench time is increased for every marker they DIDN'T reach. So if they gate and wait, they get a bigger penalty. Ok, that means you probably end up carrying a few deadweights on PoM etc, but rather that than have dickheads dc'ing before the gate and having to wait for ages to even begin the damned thing.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2018

Arrr.. don't you be bad-mouthin' thems what was blessed enuff to be raised by pirates. Ye scalawag. Arrr.

:smiley::smiley: True story. My father used to sail the Gulf Of Mexico three months a year while flying the Jolly Roger and doing questionable supplemental things for a living, so that comment was made by someone who was sort of almost actually raised by a pirate.

As soon as they were out of sight of the port, they would raise the skull and crossbones and the crew of rough, mean, seasoned shrimpers would giggle like school girls every single time.

Anywho....
    greywynd said:

I am an Idealist by nature, but a Realist by experience.

Yes. This. That is exactly where my inner conundrum came from, so I am glad you understood.
    Post edited by sgaddis13#3703 on
  • Options

Ok, there are probably ways this idea could be improved, but as a quick idea, and it would take quite a bit of housekeeping, but if they made all queue content simultaneous gateway after connect, they could alter the timer for kick.
    So like PoM Totdg IG etc, everyone ports into a lobby with a campfire and a gate activates when everyone steps into it.

They could set it to 3 minutes in that pre gateway slot, and if someone was disconnected or just hanging back they could be kicked.
    Apply a similar algorithm as suggested to track how often someone is getting kicked for being disconnected/AFK. No penalty for first time. Then on next RQ, as suggested, send them back to the same content and impose benching penalties after two DC/AFK. Maybe have a reset on the game day reset? So its not eternal.
    And... to stop them simply gating and THEN DCing, have markers along the linear dungeon path, so when they finally DC out, or are booted over hanging back, the bench time is increased for every marker they DIDN'T reach. So if they gate and wait, they get a bigger penalty. Ok, that means you probably end up carrying a few deadweights on PoM etc, but rather that than have dickheads dc'ing before the gate and having to wait for ages to even begin the damned thing.

Any thoughts?

What's to stop a player from stepping through the initial portal, then just hanging back?

Or hanging back until all the mobs between one assembly point and the next had been dealt with then moving to the assembly point to do the same thing again?

Dealing with players who appear to be attempting to scam the run, or the other party members, is something not easily addressed but I disagree the problem will be solved or even improved by decreasing the present kick timer allowing other party members to remove a player they aren't happy with - for whatever reason.

The kick feature has already reportedly (and by my own personal experience) been abused by some characters who due to their speed, run through mobs then attempt to kick slower players stuck having to deal with those agro'ed mobs just to catch up.

I personally support the idea of the game booting any player who has disconnected multiple times during a run and not allowing them to rejoin the same content/party, even if this adversely effects some players disconnected by no fault of their own. *There is no incentive to improve anything like a old computer or a poor connection if there are no consequences.

I've just finished running a dungeon with what I suspect are very experienced players running with low level toons. As they appeared to be low level and my character was a higher level I took the lead on the first mob, the two LL's ran past me as I engaged the mob and waited just short of the next mob which I also engaged. While I was dealing with that mob they again ran past me and stopped short of the next mob...

So I engaged the third mob and brought the agro'ed mob back to the two waiting LLP's when they tried to run past them I dismissed my companion and followed bringing the mobs (by now plural) with me until we were at a point where the mobs had to be dealt with prior to proceeding.

Following this episode I checked out their character stats... Level 20 something characters with level appropriate gear and very high movement scoress.

From this point on I stayed real close to the other players in the party. They stopped - I stopped, they proceeded - I proceeded, they ran through mobs - I ran through mobs, being sure to bring them with me, they fought - I fought.

Eventually we made it to the final boss and as the three of us stood by the gate after activating it (no one engaging) apparently the other two party members got tired of waiting so the three of us took off to engage the boss. I noticed that a couple of times during that engagement one or both of the other party members tried to find a quiet corner to wait out the battle (them being at full health), so I just joined them in a corner bringing the battle with me. They moved away from the battle, I moved with them - they fought I fought...

I suspect it took twice as long as the other players thought it would take with a higher level character taking care of all the mobs for them, but in the end we were still able to finish the dungeon in far less time than the estimated play time when everyone decided to be involved.

I suspect some players didn't feel good about players complaining about a few HLP's running past mobs and not engaging them, so they created lower level characters, loaded them up with movement boons and enchantments and are now playing as LLP's trying to do the same thing without the HLP's fighting ability... but that's just a guess.

• Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    chidion said:

Any thoughts?

What's to stop a player from stepping through the initial portal, then just hanging back?

Or hanging back until all the mobs between one assembly point and the next had been dealt with then moving to the assembly point to do the same thing again?

Dealing with players who appear to be attempting to scam the run, or the other party members, is something not easily addressed but I disagree the problem will be solved or even improved by decreasing the present kick timer allowing other party members to remove a player they aren't happy with - for whatever reason.

The kick feature has already reportedly (and by my own personal experience) been abused by some characters who due to their speed, run through mobs then attempt to kick slower players stuck having to deal with those agro'ed mobs just to catch up.

I personally support the idea of the game booting any player who has disconnected multiple times during a run and not allowing them to rejoin the same content/party, even if this adversely effects some players disconnected by no fault of their own. *There is no incentive to improve anything like a old computer or a poor connection if there are no consequences.

I've just finished running a dungeon with what I suspect are very experienced players running with low level toons. As they appeared to be low level and my character was a higher level I took the lead on the first mob, the two LL's ran past me as I engaged the mob and waited just short of the next mob which I also engaged. While I was dealing with that mob they again ran past me and stopped short of the next mob...

So I engaged the third mob and brought the agro'ed mob back to the two waiting LLP's when they tried to run past them I dismissed my companion and followed bringing the mobs (by now plural) with me until we were at a point where the mobs had to be dealt with prior to proceeding.

Following this episode I checked out their character stats... Level 20 something characters with level appropriate gear and very high movement scoress.

From this point on I stayed real close to the other players in the party. They stopped - I stopped, they proceeded - I proceeded, they ran through mobs - I ran through mobs, being sure to bring them with me, they fought - I fought.

Eventually we made it to the final boss and as the three of us stood by the gate after activating it (no one engaging) apparently the other two party members got tired of waiting so the three of us took off to engage the boss. I noticed that a couple of times during that engagement one or both of the other party members tried to find a quiet corner to wait out the battle (them being at full health), so I just joined them in a corner bringing the battle with me. They moved away from the battle, I moved with them - they fought I fought...

I suspect it took twice as long as the other players thought it would take with a higher level character taking care of all the mobs for them, but in the end we were still able to finish the dungeon in far less time than the estimated play time when everyone decided to be involved.

I suspect some players didn't feel good about players complaining about a few HLP's running past mobs and not engaging them, so they created lower level characters, loaded them up with movement boons and enchantments and are now playing as LLP's trying to do the same thing without the HLP's fighting ability... but that's just a guess.

First off, stepping through means everyone else gets to carry on, unlike current situations like PoM where some HAMSTER just DCs and everyone's stuck. But the marker penalty would mean that hanging back would make their time out last longer, AND they would be sent to the same content next time they queued.

I appreciate that accidental DC occurs a lot, I suffer it with some regularity myself, but a system that focuses on the four remaining players would be preferable. Auto boot on repeated DC may be a bit much, but faster boot on prolonged DC might help.