test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please fix the Archer build

I know, everyone has their favorite build path. But why would you have 1/3th of 1/8th of your class path complete HAMSTER? There are other examples of some paths that are less then optimal but the Archer has to be as close to #1 that there can be. Why? At lower levels this is a VERY enjoyable class but hit LV 70 and it falls off a cliff. And Archers a so iconic both for fantasy and historically.

Hunter/Trappers are the closest you can get but even they are at best mediocre.

Please fix, it wouldn't even take that much to do.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User

I know, everyone has their favorite build path. But why would you have 1/3th of 1/8th of your class path complete HAMSTER? There are other examples of some paths that are less then optimal but the Archer has to be as close to #1 that there can be. Why? At lower levels this is a VERY enjoyable class but hit LV 70 and it falls off a cliff. And Archers a so iconic both for fantasy and historically.

Hmmm! Hunter/Trappers is at best mediocre? I think you should go the class forum to check them out.

e.g. https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1236300/are-we-best-dps-class-right-now

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

Hmmm! Hunter/Trappers is at best mediocre? I think you should go the class forum to check them out.

e.g. https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1236300/are-we-best-dps-class-right-now

A trapper can DPS but only if played very well. Most epic parties will not take a HR as its a HAMSTER shoot. Ha, and what if that HR is playing a Archer...

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    I don't have any problems with my Archer.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Nor do I.
    edited February 2018

A trapper can DPS but only if played very well. Most epic parties will not take a HR as its a HAMSTER shoot. Ha, and what if that HR is playing a Archer...

The TONG parties I was in more or less always has a HR, top DPS too. Go to check out some Archer builds (pure Archer builds). There are good Archers out there and yes, they need to spec and play very well.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • time2011time2011 Member Posts: 125 Arc User

you must be terrible at archery if you think its bad, i play an archery and a combat build mostly combat but recently as archery and i dont have a problem keeping up with people who are equal to my il or greater. imo all three paths are pretty incredible depending on ur build set up, skill and experience with the class a person that says a class is terrible is usually the one that doesnt put much effort into it and expects it to be awesome just because. if your dedicated the ranger class you can turn any of the three paths that you enjoy playing to be incredible.

• dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I have found that it is a struggle for me trying to do an Archer. Of course the idea I am not doing everything "right" is not unbelievable. I realize there are some things I might be missing.

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User

I have found that it is a struggle for me trying to do an Archer. Of course the idea I am not doing everything "right" is not unbelievable. I realize there are some things I might be missing.

Yea there is certainly something for being said that while some disagree with you it's possible they understand the class or mechanics and how they work in each feat path or paragon a little better. There is certainly nothing wrong with Trapper in general. I do think some of the FEATs could be updated; trapper roots don't always trigger as long as claimed.

I know there is one Encounter power that claims plant growth can also root for 15s; yet it at least says it is removed once they takes % of weapons damage. I just always wondered why claim so long (15s) if the encounter alone deals that removing roots in 1-3 seconds - perhaps they need to consider increasing the % of weapons damage so they last a bit longer?

As for Archer they can also be quite good if you familiarize yourself with the specific mechanics and really try to play the class so it maximizes it's various damage boosts.

Still having said that I will say Hunter Ranger's just like all classes sadly do have some Class powers that seem really mediocre at best. But I spoke of that in another thread wishing they'd enhance some the sad or almost worthless class powers. Many classes have at least 2 or 3 class powers that are worthless - and I just don't think any should be.
  • kraughkraugh Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    So for those who have no problem with their archer build, what is your build? Can you play it solo or do you need to be in a party?
    kraugh said:

So for those who have no problem with their archer build, what is your build? Can you play it solo or do you need to be in a party?

There are archer builds in class forum.
  • neon#1277 neon Member Posts: 9 Arc User

Hi, I entirely agree that archery is not a viable path for eng-game content (T9G). I play a 15.6k HR trapper and I do fine now (after playing archer a few months). Devs, please give it some love. Try a few 3-man runs : archer+trapper+combat. I think it will be obvious archer will always be at bottom of the dps chart. I've seen this many times. I also agree that it wouldnt take much to fix the feats.
  • nemesis666#6862 nemesis666 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    time2011 said:

you must be terrible at archery if you think its bad, i play an archery and a combat build mostly combat but recently as archery and i dont have a problem keeping up with people who are equal to my il or greater. imo all three paths are pretty incredible depending on ur build set up, skill and experience with the class a person that says a class is terrible is usually the one that doesnt put much effort into it and expects it to be awesome just because. if your dedicated the ranger class you can turn any of the three paths that you enjoy playing to be incredible.

Are u trolling? or u dont realize its about ARCHER and not TRAPPER and not COMBAT? My pet out dps every archer in endgame, and yes, i have a endgame viable HR.

Edit: and its about PvE
    edited February 2018

time2011 said:

Are u trolling? or u dont realize its about ARCHER and not TRAPPER and not COMBAT? My pet out dps every archer in endgame, and yes, i have a endgame viable HR.

Are you quoting the right person? As far as I can read from his post, he was talking about archer.
  • time2011time2011 Member Posts: 125 Arc User

time2011 said:

you clearly have trouble reading. i was making a point about archery that while i do play combat as of later i also play archery. the path itself is not the problem its the player. any person who picks archery just assumes wow i'll be amazing with it, but not taking into account what powers, what features, what stats you actually need to be gunning for. it's to say its terrible because as a player you just assume its has to be super amazing without much effort. al three paths are fun to play and do alot of damage based on what you know and how it works. with the changes made at archery path it is now better than what it used to be in the past, that much is true because before it was just godawful that i shifted away from it for a while. now with those changes anyone can turn their favorite path into incredible dps depending if they know how to fully utilize the path to its max potential. now with mod 13 rain of arrow now actually works which is a big buff to archers whether you realize it or not but they also broke cordon of arrows which is supposedly getting fixed soon(they should of left it alone from the beginning) even without cordon of arrows if you adapt and change a power to sub for it till its fixed then its no big deal. me i use split the sky, rain of arrows and thorn ward for all purposes, sometimes i'll have longstrider shot it varies. point being those that complain that something sucks is usually the ones that are clueless in the class and just want it to be easy and simple, they didn't research, didn't test powers to know what they do and what is best for situations, did not ask around the guild or friends for suggestions and advice to how they can better themselves in their class.

i don't troll people because i find it meaningless and stupid. if you don't like it when someone points out your flaws then thats your own personal gripe. but don't start bashing something just because you don't know how to fully utilize it.

• altmerpoweraltmerpower Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 101 Arc User
    Archers at lower level is a VERY enjoyable class but as soon you hit level 70 it falls off a cliff.
    Thank you for writing this because that's what i felt when I hit level 70 first time..
    I went for pure dps and it felt ok but could not survive 1 major hit/instant death
    Then I tryed less dps and more defense.
    Now i could take some hits but dps= garbage feeling (now I suck little bit at everything)
    Made A new character GF and the feeling was opposite from HR at level 70
    I went for pure dps build and got the feeling that I am unstoppable (impossible to die and still good dps.)
    I don't now whay they made HR class so weak when hitting LV 70
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Hi OP.

You clearly don't get the class if you think that trapper or combat are medicore. And by saying "it's a good dps but has to be played well" you basically say "I want to press the button and be 1st in paingiver".

Learn the class, learn the mechanics and you will be very (and I mean VERY) sucessful.

As for the archer path - meh, who cares. Hunter Ranger is a great class right now and you can build fully viable full range archery build with trapper tree. I run it in tong when I go as a buffer. You have perma Longstriders, Commanding Shot etc. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.
    Devs at least!! add more over all movment to HR archers because then you give them the same chance to avoid get hit as all other classes.
    HR is the slowest class in the entire game!!
    HR is always the last class to get to the end boss in hamster random dungeons.
    You now why? we got glue under our shoes from start!!
    This is strange because HR have leather armor and run around with a bow.
    How is this more slow then all other classes?
    HR class feels like glued to the ground (in endless combat mode)
    My god...while everyone else just running circles around me I am still in combat mode.
    Often with no enemyes around at all...
    Fix this devs and you get less critic from players playing this class.
    Make Hunter rangers great again!! or at least as every one else....
    Have you considered slotting the insignia that grants movement to your mounts? Have you considered slotting Dark enchants in Utility? Both will speed you up.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    May I suggest that when you say you want something fixed you actually offer specifics? It's not as if the devsd are responsive at all, particularly about the HR class, but without specific player complaints (i.e. small dodges that don't work, control abilities that don't work, ridiculously long animations and cooldowns, low damage) they have NOTHING to go on.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    close thread and look at some guides please, HR is easily the best or second best dps class in the whole game right now. thanks
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
    edited March 2018
    lardeson said:

close thread and look at some guides please, HR is easily the best or second best dps class in the whole game right now. thanks

OP was talking about Archer and not any HR. A pure Archer can't be the best or the 2nd best. At least, not if Combat HR and Trapper HR took the best and the 2nd best. :)
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Forget about playing range class in this game. There is no place for them. If u back out a few step and take a good look at the game u will then see the whole PVE is about being melee, buffs and rolfstomp all the way. There is nothing about dungeon crawling, traps disarming or anything tactical. Its all about gearing up, buff up and headbutting anything that stand in the way. The only place where archers and tactics are needed is pvp. Pve is a one trick experience. U wont find a rogue sneaking up to the back of an isolated mob or archer sniping from the back of the party. U will only see the blinding light of holiness imbueing the armor, shield and sword of the party as mob getting cleaved and choked by evil roots along the way. U will also see people checking out dps chart and time along the way. There is not much need of magic, arrow or dagger. All u need is a holy bible, a little fire magic, shield, sword and dps chart.

Edit: Oh i forgot, and evil roots.
  • lardesonlardeson Member Posts: 374 Arc User

lardeson said:

OP was talking about Archer and not any HR. A pure Archer can't be the best or the 2nd best. At least, not if Combat HR and Trapper HR took the best and the 2nd best. :)
    and whats the point in wanting more buff for archer when u already have another path that melts things in a blink? the game has been set that way, almost every class has a path thats close to useless. unless they do a complete rework and balancing, its unlikely. HR already does alot of damage as to ask for more buff
    Lardeson CW not Mage. Where's my fireball and my thunderbolt?
    edited March 2018
    lardeson said:

lardeson said:

and whats the point in wanting more buff for archer when u already have another path that melts things in a blink? the game has been set that way, almost every class has a path thats close to useless. unless they do a complete rework and balancing, its unlikely. HR already does alot of damage as to ask for more buff
    I was not the one who asked for the buff/change for archer. I also don't see why not all 3 paths of any class can be used.
    I consider a pure archer is a different class on its own myself. Giving something to archer path does not mean it has to help combat or trapper. e.g. (this is just an example and not a request) giving something in the very last feat of archery.
    Again, I did not ask for archer to be changed. I just want to point out archer is different because there is no other class that has similar range and should not mix it to combat or trapper.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    CW can do range same as an Archer using Far Spell.
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Cleric is also a ranged class FWIW
    I was the one asking for movment buff for HR path Archery!!
    Explaining this is not complecated.
    Someone was talking about me getting insignias and enchantments for more movment and some are angry because I am just asking for stuff with no explanation about how it should be done...
    Just use youre imagination and pretend that you are HR Archer and just hit Level 70.
    With no enchantments, insignias and to not make this difficult forget all powers.
    This is how I felt with HR path Archery.
    DPS +Taking damage - Movment --
    This is how I felt when I hit Level 70 with Control Wizard path Opressor.
    DPS + Taking damage - Movment +
    Now same with Great Weapon Fighter path destroyer
    DPS + Taking damage + Movment ++
    Can you se the differance?
    Pls dont ask me about how I wish to fix this because its not my job!!
    I am just telling you how I felt when I hit level 70 with these 3 characters, thats all.
    Now...give me that warp speed Scotty!!
    So you aren't interested in doing for yourself. You just want it to happen. Sorry, without feats, skills and buffs all classes are the same. If you want to move faster slot Darks in Utility. Get the insignias that make you move faster slotted in your mounts. Get a mount whose power makes you move faster.
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    I thought HR archery already has hasty retreat feat for movement speed? or did they change it?
    edited March 2018

I just want to point out archer is different because there is no other class that has similar range and should not mix it to combat or trapper.

I was talking about Archer build has a longer range than other class' range. Range in terms of distance and not ability.
    greywynd said:

CW can do range same as an Archer using Far Spell.

I don't play CW. Hence, I don't know long far the range the far spell does but it is not for every at will and encounter, right?

Cleric is also a ranged class FWIW

SW too but I was not talking about just range but long range like Archer.