test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Combatlog Broken

So when using the /combatlog 1 command in chat, it save each action in combat to a log file, but it seems some of these actions don't log properly, which corrupts the log file.
  • Forgemaster's flame currently has a carriage return at the end of the name. This displays in game as well if you place the power into chat. This completely ruins all logged entries of forgemaster's flame, since it cuts the line item in half.
  • Slayer marks have a comma in their name that is not properly escaped when placed into the log file. This ruins all data found after their name in the log, since it offsets the columns by one. All commas should probably be escapes from all line items in the log, not just slayer marks, since I believe others exist as well.
  • Radiant weapon, which is the custom effect created for several items in the firemane lockbox, does not have an owner in the log, which means it cannot be properly credited to anyone.
  • Several powers log a strange HitPoints line for 0 HitPoints. Shocking execution and conduit of ice are two of the many powers with this issue.
  • Hammer of fate logs a strange -1000 action points into the log
  • Maelstrom of chaos logs a strange -500 action points into the log if you cancel it
  • Both of the above issues would probably be fine if every daily gave a negative action points log item, instead of just two.
  • Control wizards smolder class feature doesn't seem to be owned by the correct wizard, it keeps changing ownership.
  • Many neutral effects like campfires and pvp potions don't have owners. It would be great if they were credited to the one standing in the campfire or picking up the potion.

Comments

• Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Working on finding out who to report this to!
  • Options
    miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2018
    combatlog is a plain-text log, not a comma-separated value file. It just happens to look a whole lot like a .csv, which is unfortunate. You're right, it would be easier to automate the parsing of it if we wrote it as a proper .csv with all the escaping and quotation marks around fields. Remember that we don't write the combatlog parser that you're probably using to analyze the logs, so if we change the syntax at all, those devs will have to make a change make it read our new syntax.

For the idiosyncrasies of some powers, remember that we design the powers to work, not necessarily to show up in the combatlog in an easily understood/parsable way. Sometimes those idiosyncrasies are an indication that there's something broken with the power, but sometimes the power is that way to work around some restriction, or to make it play nicely with some feat/set bonus/game mechanic. I can get the Systems designers to look over these examples to see if there's something weird in there that we should be concerned with, but it's pretty low priority.

We'll forward your suggestions along to the right people.

PS: I just checked in a fix to all the power names that had a trailing newline (about 12 of them). Not sure when those fixes will go out.
    Post edited by miasmat on
  • Options
    designedbyrng#4319 designedbyrng Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    miasmat said:

PS: I just checked in a fix to all the power names that had a trailing newline (about 12 of them). Not sure when those fixes will go out.

Thank you so much!
    miasmat said:

Remember that we don't write the combatlog parser that you're probably using to analyze the logs, so if we change the syntax at all, those devs will have to make a change make it read our new syntax.

You mean me? :D
    I asked because I was updating the ACT parser plugin trying to find out why a bunch of things didn't parse properly. Some of them I fixed, some I didn't see an easy fix for, so I posted them here.

(note that I did not write the original plugin, I have simply been modifying it lately)
  • Options
    miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    If you want to work around the comma in power names, I'd suggest you look for ",Pn." that'll always be the next field after the power name.
  • Options
    designedbyrng#4319 designedbyrng Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    Sorry, what I said was a bit misleading. I did fix the comma issue for the powers I knew of. I just don't know that I know all of them, so I considered it unsolved.
  • Options
    lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    Here is a crazy idea... don't make any changes to the current CombatLog (no impacts to current parsing engines), but make a new one "combatlog2" which would be in a more easily parsed format... then dump everything and the kitchen sink in that log (buffs, heals, damage, controls and actual duration of items). I'm a Business Intelligence Architect IRL, and that would be my dream come true. The current combat log, and third party parsing software/ scripts make it difficult to tune and test (support classes in particular), due to data gaps, and insufficient documentation for writing our own log parsing scripts...
    "Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

Here is a crazy idea... don't make any changes to the current CombatLog (no impacts to current parsing engines), but make a new one "combatlog2" which would be in a more easily parsed format...

I was about to suggest the same, with the minor change /combatlog 2 (same switch, different parameter).

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I'd rather the original combat log was changed. It's easy enough to change the parser. But the format needs to apply to all abilities unlike now where some are not logged the same as designedbyrng has pointed out.