test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Player Guild or Allience

I have played several games that had a "new player guild" that new toons were automaticly put in. I think Neverwinter should work out a system like this the guild officers are volunteer and answer game related questions for new players and aid new players in quest that require help from more advanced players. It will also allow new players to form groups in areas and zones of the game that are hard to form groups in. In the two games i have played that had a system like this in place I enjoyed the gameplay more and stuck with the game where i normally would have quit due to the lack of in game aid or information. Asking questions in zone chat can be more harmful than helpfull sometimes.

Comments

• Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    @nitocris83 this would be a great way to leverage the playerbase to both lessen the new player restrictions responsibly and increase engagement

Maintenance on this could be minimal if you made all PW accounts level 7 and rotated volunteer Care Bears in from maybe 10-20 random level 10+ guilds every month or so to serve as officers by invitation, helping new players learn the ropes and discouraging bad behavior right off the bat

Bots, spammers, dedicated solo players and new toons destined for other guilds would most likely quit immediately, but if you guys have any staff monitoring for bad behavior this would severely lessen the group of new players those folks would have to watch

This would be a potentially awesome community experiment that would require almost no code whatsoever and very little commitment from Cryptic while possibly providing some excellent returns on many much needed levels
  • Options
    rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    If you did this, I wonder if you could have the guild masters/helpers with some pre-build toons with x gear that do not level so they run content with the noobs. Running with a 16K geared "leader" does not really help you learn the game.
  • Options
    My major function in my own guild has always been helping new level 70s learn how dungeons work and helping them build up their gear and skills, and I mostly do this on my DC or my GF

Our guild members also assist if someone needs help with Vault or something like that

How this gets done depends on the group's skill level, gear and experience as well as how they want to run

Being in the position of controlling the challenge, I can heal, buff, tank or dps as needed by simply swapping powers, pets or loadouts

This is generally on level 70 content, but if the devs actually fix level scaling as they indicated they may on the stream, this kind of methodology should work in low level dungeons as well, especially since the three man content doesn't really require much in the way of tanking, buffs or heals

I think anyone, properly scaled, could walk through those dungeons giving more advice than actually helping, and that would probably be the best way to help new players to learn what to do

If that's even needed... I imagine the leaders would likely spend more time answering questions and giving directions in chat and generally babysitting

Thinking about this a little more, trying to think about potential problems, I imagine this should be an Alliance with guilds determined by languages spoken, which would probably make less of a mess of it all... but the dev team would have more data on that distribution

It may be also that the volunteer officers would need some light mod powers such as temp muting a player that gets a bit rowdy, and abusable player abilities such as mass reporting alleged spammers might have to be suspended for newbies to curtail griefing

I still really like this idea and hope it gets some attention
  • Options
    jizzu#6891 jizzu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    I can make this a quick fix.
    Dungeon guide for new player.
    1. Enter a queue
    2. Wait for dungeon instance
    3. Follow twinkly golden stars ahead of you
    4. Beat the HAMSTER outa anything running towards you
    5. Enter the final room
    6. Beat the HAMSTER outa the big geezer
    7. Open glowing chest if there is one
    8. Leave
    9. Rinse and repeat for evermore!!!
  • Options
    Great idea!

Now go tell them all
  • Options
    freakbreed#4018 freakbreed Member Posts: 5 Arc User

I can make this a quick fix.
    Dungeon guide for new player.
    1. Enter a queue
    2. Wait for dungeon instance
    3. Follow twinkly golden stars ahead of you
    4. Beat the HAMSTER outa anything running towards you
    5. Enter the final room
    6. Beat the HAMSTER outa the big geezer
    7. Open glowing chest if there is one
    8. Leave
    9. Rinse and repeat for evermore!!!

while this is true it leaves a lot that new players have questions about. there is a lot that seasoned players take for granted knowledge wise that new players struggle with like active bonuses, proper gearing, refining, and questing. a new players guild would offer people the platform to get the questions answered without all the trolls and negitve comments in zone chat.
  • Options
    freakbreed#4018 freakbreed Member Posts: 5 Arc User

If you did this, I wonder if you could have the guild masters/helpers with some pre-build toons with x gear that do not level so they run content with the noobs. Running with a 16K geared "leader" does not really help you learn the game.

I disagree I have a 12k il and I help new players all the time. Part of helping new players is taking the time to show them the ropes and not doing every thing for them.

• Options
    jizzu#6891 jizzu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    the best way to learn is to play...if you want to fix the community in such a way that people are more willing to help new players then devs need to build some equality into the game instead of leveraging vets off against newbies every time something is nerfed or removed.
    time is also an issue; people have rl's, the limited time in game is now spent grinding not leaving much time to look around and smell the flowers. the way the game has been heading has made players much more selfish with time out of necessity. unfortunately this means a measure of the community spirit disappears.
    events such as x2 refining etc don't help much in this; in the mad scramble to hoard as much as possible lower level players get forgotten.
    what also needs to be acknowledged is the fact that there are simply fewer people playing that could help by responding to request in zone.
    in short there are issues and merit in what is being asked for but until deeper problems are addressed i sadly don't think this will change.
    atm i am so bored running the same higher level content over and over i am more than happy to answer any help asks in chat, i miss much of the early game content that was more story and character driven and love dipping back in...so
  • Options
    kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    I was always happy to answer questions in zone chat, but there are so many trolls in zone now, zone chat is usually turned off.