test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PUG Q needs to respect class builds

matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
Hi all!

First of let me say, i am not a big fan of PUG Q for many obvious reasons. The only thing that excited me a bit was, that maybe maybe my main (TR) would become more favorable with new Qs, but as we all know, nothing positive happened, META is still the same garbage as it was and players minds, as human minds naturally do, tend to favor the easiest and shortest way, so basically the only positive side i was expecting to see, didn't became reality.

But why i am writing this, it makes me pretty sad to witness now day by day and make my life on my average geared DC alt a pain in the neck, is the selfish players i encounter day by day.

Don't get me wrong, i have and had played all the classes, so no bashing here, but this is especially the case with some well geared tanks, who come into PUG Q for the quick AD, then storm ahead, provide the party no protection at all and the ones who can not upkeep with him/her, become split in 2 or 3 parts. Now as TR i mainly play the resurrecter, not my dream role tbh , while on my DC it's damn hard to keep the team together. Who shall i heal, who shall i buff, do i go for the selfish, but yet strong player or do i stay behind and try to patch up my weaker, yet normally behaving team mates. Of course under normal Q i would rather leave than witness such a mess, but now if i do, i screw myself with the penalty.

Now some might say, other classes storm ahead too and my answer would be, yes they do, but hands on heart, if a dps bites the dust, you mostly still can finish the dungeon, but if your only tank does it, most groups, specially PUG groups will fail or it becomes a pain till the end and when you get out, you are like you would get fresh air from a room full of chain smokers.

My proposal would be to Devs, since people don't change so easily, let the Q respect, if the tank for example is not a "real tank", but pure DPS and then put him/her under DPS or give us the opportunity to kick the person sooner, reduce that grace time.

P.S: Bit off topic, but still waiting for my TR to become a part on a ToNG run and not have to beg, cause that's what i don't do and that's why i have so little amount of ToNG runs under my belt. Now, if someone comes with, oh but run it with your guild, i can't do it for the time being, my guildies are casuals and most of them not well geared for it yet. It could fill another thread, but why not hand out Seals of the Brave in the Folly skirmish too for example, understandably in shorter amounts, but give us not so favored classes an opportunity to get the latest gear.

The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
David Icke

Comments

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Problem is, most GFs go Conqueror, which is the GF dps build.

This still gives them sufficient defense to handle most dungeons, at least if they are properly built and played.

So how is the game to know if a GF is 'dps only'?

For OPs the situation probably is the same.

And I think you are talking about the low-level levelling dungeon play primarily. Running ahead alone is not that feasible in T1-T2 dungeons - there are a few situations where the tank can pull an encounter along to the next to bunch them up.. but then it is the dps fault if they attack the moving mobs and don't follow the tank.

The basic rule is 'Stay with the tank' - no running ahead of tank, no attacking behind tank. You can of course do it if you think you are able, but then you should not complain if it does not work.
    Post edited by mentinmindmaker on
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    I m fine with speed runner as long as they dont give trouble to the team. Tank that run ahead and unable to hold aggro on everything they pull, leaving mob killing teammate left and right are just wrong. Even if u are tanky enough to keep urself alive, u still not doing ur job as a tank to keep aggro from everybody. Its best to play as a team than being a jerk making people life difficult.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2017

Problem is, most GFs go Tactician, which is the GF dps build.

You mean Conqueror. Tactician is the Buffs tree.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    pitshade said:

Problem is, most GFs go Tactician, which is the GF dps build.

You mean Conqueror. Tactician is the Buffs tree.
    Wups yes.. I am on vacation away from my gaming PC at the moment. And my brain is in vacation mode too!
  • b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    What I have seen is that tanks prefer dps over full tank. In some dungeons thats fine but there are ones such as FBI or MSP where full tank would be best. I think so many players in the game has got use to the rushing ahead killing stuff and basically rushing thru the dungeon. I also think this mind set is why so many dislike fbi or msp. You cant rush thru it and surely cant rush ahead and think your live thru the adds.
    If tanks would use the correct builds things might go alot better.
    This is just my input on this.
    The one thing this game does not offer is a role set when going into a dungeon.
    I think it should force roles on each player. Sure there is times time switch roles in side a dungeon but for tanks they shouldnt really switch roles. Tank builds are for tanking and in a dungeon they are tanks not dps.
  • matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Well if you are talking the leveling dungeons and the current rush through via R Que....

What is happening is what devs planned, only more so..They wanted to force L65+ players back through the old leveling dungeons to push/pull/drag lower level players through, since they couldn't get a group of their own level to fill a dungeon. They wanted that so much they were willing to bribe high level players with AD to do it.

So what is happening? High level players are taking the bribe, slamming all the mobs as they rush through as fast as they can to the rewarded AD. They aren't there to sight see (they have seen it dozens if not hundreds of times already). They are killing everything that pops up, as they rush through the optimal path through and enough to open whatever stopper gate there is.

The problem is the lowby IS there to sight see, they HAVEN'T seen it to boredom, so they ARE poking the non-optimal paths and aggroing mobs that the higher level didn't touch or need to kill. The high level player is half the dungeon away by now, tapping his/her foot waiting at a gate. Even if the lowby DIDN'T poke their nose into non-aggroed stuff, they are WAY slower geared and can't run as fast, their best plan is do NOTHING but run, run, run towards the end, the higher level player only slowed down long enough to 1or2 hit insta kill mobs.

What is happening is what players SAID would happen (what a shocker, they were right)....forcing high level players through hamster wheel to get some cheese is degrading lower level players game experience...but hey, at least they got a group! The experience sucked, but they got through!
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    matthattr said:

Well if you are talking the leveling dungeons and the current rush through via R Que....

What is happening is what devs planned, only more so..They wanted to force L65+ players back through the old leveling dungeons to push/pull/drag lower level players through, since they couldn't get a group of their own level to fill a dungeon. They wanted that so much they were willing to bribe high level players with AD to do it.

So what is happening? High level players are taking the bribe, slamming all the mobs as they rush through as fast as they can to the rewarded AD. They aren't there to sight see (they have seen it dozens if not hundreds of times already). They are killing everything that pops up, as they rush through the optimal path through and enough to open whatever stopper gate there is.

The problem is the lowby IS there to sight see, they HAVEN'T seen it to boredom, so they ARE poking the non-optimal paths and aggroing mobs that the higher level didn't touch or need to kill. The high level player is half the dungeon away by now, tapping his/her foot waiting at a gate. Even if the lowby DIDN'T poke their nose into non-aggroed stuff, they are WAY slower geared and can't run as fast, their best plan is do NOTHING but run, run, run towards the end, the higher level player only slowed down long enough to 1or2 hit insta kill mobs.

What is happening is what players SAID would happen (what a shocker, they were right)....forcing high level players through hamster wheel to get some cheese is degrading lower level players game experience...but hey, at least they got a group! The experience sucked, but they got through!

Except when they DON'T kill everything they come across. Because they have the run speed to keep ahead of it until it gives up & runs back... to the poor low-level. While every mob in the dungeon could dog-pile a level 70 & still not take 1/2 HP... leveling characters are insta-killed because they were not meant to solo group content.

• kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User

Hi all!

First of let me say, i am not a big fan of PUG Q for many obvious reasons. The only thing that excited me a bit was, that maybe maybe my main (TR) would become more favorable with new Qs, but as we all know, nothing positive happened, META is still the same garbage as it was and players minds, as human minds naturally do, tend to favor the easiest and shortest way, so basically the only positive side i was expecting to see, didn't became reality.

But why i am writing this, it makes me pretty sad to witness now day by day and make my life on my average geared DC alt a pain in the neck, is the selfish players i encounter day by day.

Don't get me wrong, i have and had played all the classes, so no bashing here, but this is especially the case with some well geared tanks, who come into PUG Q for the quick AD, then storm ahead, provide the party no protection at all and the ones who can not upkeep with him/her, become split in 2 or 3 parts. Now as TR i mainly play the resurrecter, not my dream role tbh , while on my DC it's damn hard to keep the team together. Who shall i heal, who shall i buff, do i go for the selfish, but yet strong player or do i stay behind and try to patch up my weaker, yet normally behaving team mates. Of course under normal Q i would rather leave than witness such a mess, but now if i do, i screw myself with the penalty.

Now some might say, other classes storm ahead too and my answer would be, yes they do, but hands on heart, if a dps bites the dust, you mostly still can finish the dungeon, but if your only tank does it, most groups, specially PUG groups will fail or it becomes a pain till the end and when you get out, you are like you would get fresh air from a room full of chain smokers.

My proposal would be to Devs, since people don't change so easily, let the Q respect, if the tank for example is not a "real tank", but pure DPS and then put him/her under DPS or give us the opportunity to kick the person sooner, reduce that grace time.

P.S: Bit off topic, but still waiting for my TR to become a part on a ToNG run and not have to beg, cause that's what i don't do and that's why i have so little amount of ToNG runs under my belt. Now, if someone comes with, oh but run it with your guild, i can't do it for the time being, my guildies are casuals and most of them not well geared for it yet. It could fill another thread, but why not hand out Seals of the Brave in the Folly skirmish too for example, understandably in shorter amounts, but give us not so favored classes an opportunity to get the latest gear.

I get your point with people who are playing unorthodox but typically those tend to just be DC's and GF's who refuse to read their party makeup and want to play their own way. Before it was sorta selfish, but now with loadouts its blatantly selfish. As for healing on your DC. Healing is an afterthought. Its not the main reason you are there. I hate DC's who focus on healing. We all only want your empowered break the spirit and your debuffs on the monsters and maybe a feated Blessing of battle and AA. It drives me absolutely nuts when I'm stuck in a random q with a DC that doesn't understand their role as a buffer/debuffer. Sure you have heal spells, but we all have our lifesteals and healing potions, what we don't have is a way to amp our damage up 10 fold. So stop worrying about healing and start worrying about boosting the party's damage output and damage resistance. If you are in a party with all melee where they are all going to be together and in the monsters faces? Go Annointed champion and slot Annointed Army and Hallowed ground for dailies, then for your encounters do Break the spirit, exaltation, and divine glow. Divinity divine glow on the boss and teammates, empowered break the spirit for the major dps boost. If you are in a party with HR's and other ranged run around type heroes who don't stay together, swap to your divine oracle loadout. Trash fights should be trivial as the HR's and CW's will be controlling trash like crazy, during this just spam your divine glow alot. For the boss fights, depending on how apart your team is during fights, slot forgemaster instead of break the spirit for power boost cause Break the spirits range is very very small for the buff side if its empowered. Forgemasters range is unlimited, it will buff a teammate a mile away. Prophecy of doom is an insanely powerful debuff that benefits all on a boss, and divine glow on the boss, then the divinity divine glows on teammates to boost their power. Healing I always leave to divine glow hits and occasionally I will astral seal something like a boss, like orcus after he does his ae I will astral seal him and everyone heals back up as they hit him. Additionally as a Divine Oracle, slot the angel daily cause its heal is unlimited range, and it doubles as a knockdown for some of those phases where controll helps. For my Divine Oracle build, i will slot Divine Armor if the GF is weak instead of the angel daily and lean heavily on astral seals on targets to heal everyone. All else fails, if the groups really bad, just go Annointed champion and stay glued to the tank and AA him constantly. Always have gift of haste feated in both builds. The key thing to understand about why buffing matters most is cause if everyones hitting really hard cause of your buffs, then their lifesteals are also healing very well and things are dying alot faster and people are taking less damage. Also having AA prevents people being controlled so they can attack and lifesteal.

• matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Wow wall of text there.
    And I get you are trying to be helpful with "advice".
    But someone not doing what YOU demand (and do note your post comes off as not advice, but a demand), is not selfish, nor as you say "blatantly selfish".
    Doing what you demand, isn't selfish anywhere in the universe, except in your mind.
    Perhaps you meant "inconsiderate" rather than selfish, inconsiderate is not tallying my actions vs. others being effected, selfish means I considered it and did it anyway, I didn't give a flying fig what others thought or needed.

What I choose to do is a "choice", I used my intellect and made a decision that fit me and my play. Selfish requires a demand component or a inconsideration aspect. Selfish by definition is evident, it is naturally "blatant" and needs no attention or modifier. It's not blatantly hot or cold, it is hot, extra hot or extremely hot or the converse concerning cold. Concerning selfish, it was cognitive, someone knew better and did it anyway, no modifier is needed either, extra selfish? Selfish is selfish, there is no "extra".

If I chose to have black beans with my nachos rather than pinto beans isn't selfish, it was s choice on my part...however! If I got all haughty and insisted, you too must have black beans, even if you knew you prefer pintos, that would be selfish on my part, demanding you have what I want you to have, rather than what you desired.

It would have been INCONSIDERATE of me to eat pintos, knowing later we would be in a confined space together and pintos made me flatulent. Maybe I knew in advance it would be better (with my choice, using intellect) to have the black beans and you simply did not have all the information involved.

What would have been SELFISH, was having the pintos (even knowing about the confined space and how pintos effected) and having them anyway and then refusing you the ability to leave the confined space.

Oh, and yes, this was preachy, blatantly preachy even :)
    So extra selfish of me.......
  • rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Maybe what you
    kitkathd said:

Healing is an afterthought. Its not the main reason you are there. I hate DC's who focus on healing.

Wow, a DC thinking that they should heal, how selfish /s. Could it be that the game is currently broken and roles meaningless?

Let me fix the game for you right now... remove life steal and buff DC and OP healing. There, you would now be crazy not to have a healer in the party doing content and them not blasting heals on everyone.

Of course the real problem with this game and every other MMO that has been around for a while is power creep. Bosses are mountains of HP by the millions. By mod 20 do we hit a billion?

Let me fix the game for you right now... remove life steal and buff DC and OP healing. There, you would now be crazy not to have a healer in the party doing content and them not blasting heals on everyone.

NW seems to be built so we should not be depending on one class, which is a good thing. So we do not WANT to have to have a healer in party.

The healing situation where lifesteal does most of the healing makes us independent of healers at least for the easy-to-medium content.

Similarily class defenses often makes tanks unnecessary for the easy-to-medium content.

This basically means that we are free of the tank-heal-dps straitjacket for much of the NW content.

A good thing, if you ask me.

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Hmm.

To make a simple analogy that no one here will probably get or remember:

In the good old days when there was only a few MMOs, the best was Ultima Online. It was simple fun and demanded good teamwork. The key word is teamwork and SIMPLICITY. There were limited builds and limited skills and limited equipment for toons. Which made teamwork easy as it was SIMPLE to understand what to do and when. That made it fun to team up.

Two warrios fighting back to back could cross heal each other constantly and basically tank down an entire army of enemies or a dragon or whatever. Healing was completely vital to the game as to heal an ally took a few seconds, to self heal took ages, so the game kind of forced players to work in cooperation.

MOST NW content is solo and is facetank easy... then you get to FBI, To9G and MSP and you have to re-learn how to play. One hit Valindra attacks or whatever instakills etc etc which as a player you havent learnt how to cope with. I woudl say make the levelling content more suitable to learnign how to play your class "properly" :)
  • rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User

NW seems to be built so we should not be depending on one class, which is a good thing. So we do not WANT to have to have a healer in party.

The healing situation where lifesteal does most of the healing makes us independent of healers at least for the easy-to-medium content.

Similarily class defenses often makes tanks unnecessary for the easy-to-medium content.

This basically means that we are free of the tank-heal-dps straitjacket for much of the NW content.

A good thing, if you ask me.
    Then just get rid of the healer class, remove the slot from queue, and keep new players from investing their time in raising a healer because they thought this game was actually based on D&D. Its the same situation with companions, after a certain level no one really runs with a healer, at least not for the healing. If these are complete dead ends then just remove them to lessen confusion.

I mean the game is just devolving and homogenizing into a classless DSP self healing tank toon. In fact the term "toon" is apt.

edited January 2018
    NW healers are actually buffers/debuffers, just not primarily hp pushers.

And we do love them :)
  • mikal#9243 mikal Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    What annoys me most is a catalogue of replies to this asking for people to use "correct" builds as though they are an authority. There are DESIRED build and OPTIMUM builds, but the idea that people should be criticised for not using the spec that you want is absurd.
    I have a GF as my second class and i have no desire to play anything but conquerer, the majority of my game time i spend solo anyway and it isn't fun taking 10 hours to clear trash mobs in solo content.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    This is what happens with the talent based systems of old, with lots of meangingless options and a handful of vital ones: they generate metas that blow everything else away in terms of performance. This leads to the problems mentioned in the OP, choices that do not allow you to reach your maximum potential are scorned. It's the nature of the beast.
    MMO history shows that balancing this system is a nightmare destined to failure and games (WOW, STAR WARS, ecc...) eventually abandon this system in favor of locked paths that take care of all the meta, and just allow for a handful of choices that changes some gameplay elements, without changing the overall performance of the class.

Cryptic should take a hint...
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    this whole running ahead problem could be fixed in a heartbeat if the devs really wanted to.

Simply give every character a fixed running rate inside dungeons. Granted that will screw up some feats but overall it will help keep the team together as long as mounts aren't involved.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

NW healers are actually buffers/debuffers, just not primarily hp pushers.

And we do love them :)

Especially in pairs!

• dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    snotty said:

this whole running ahead problem could be fixed in a heartbeat if the devs really wanted to.

Simply give every character a fixed running rate inside dungeons.

While I agree the situation today is broken and the RQ as it is now is a failure in my opinion, I do not think this is the solution at all. In my opinion this would just add to the frustration of many folks.
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User

snotty said:

Simply give every character a fixed running rate inside dungeons.

While I agree the situation today is broken and the RQ as it is now is a failure in my opinion, I do not think this is the solution at all. In my opinion this would just add to the frustration of many folks.
    Well im not sure why anyone would be frustrated at being the same running speed as the rest of the team in epic dungeons unless its someone that likes to run ahead to skew the DPS chart in their favor which if often the main reason they do it. I mean it would awesome if they sped up the others to the fastest person rather then slowed down anyone but either way it would force the team to stick together more, you know, that way its supposed to be in dungeons.

As a lvl70 that runs lvling dungeons daily I get super annoyed at others that just run past mobs. Its no problem for me since I know that I can kill them with ease but what about the other guy? maybe he's a low lvl. So you speed your way to the end just to end up sitting there wasting time while the rest of the team kills their way through the dungeon, it really makes no sense, just kill as you go.

I may not always wait for the team but I at least kill everything along the way.