test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's been a while...

relynreerelynree Member Posts: 10 Arc User
Greetings all,

I played forever. Then I returned to taking online college courses and didn't play anymore. Then I played Guild Wars 2 and Star Trek Online, and now I find myself venturing back to Neverwinter.

I know that all my gear will be outdated and useless, so I'm considering starting anew and running the story through again with the new feat trees, etc. Do wizards still overpower everyone? Are the classes more balanced out now? Will Neverwinter EVER get a druid? Recommendations for a returning player would be appreciated, and thanks!

Gina

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    No. CW is considered weak these days.
    People said classes are not balanced. Personally, I don't really care.
    No, no druid.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    Aside from pvp, any class can easily run any non-endgame-content. There is no balancing required here, all of them are somehow overpowered. For endgame-content only three classes are required at the moment due to inbalance: DC, GF and GWF
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Class balance is better than say Mod1 (LF4M CW) but there are still issues and they are made worse because the current meta is to run 1 character as a main DPS and the rest of the party as buffers. 1 slot for DPS makes the imbalance in the DPS classes much worse. DC, OP and GF, the pure support classes are very much in demand. GWF is currently top DPS class and SW mostly seen as worst with HR, CW and TR having pros and cons.

As to starting over, there isn't anything new in the leveling campaign to try and if you care about achievements, some are now lost to time and unavailable.

While it is likely that while much of your gear is outdated, some things still retain value. Artifacts can be a big plus. But really what matters is how old is your gear?
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Sadly CW's have been the punching bag of the nerf hammer mod after mode year after year .., but we still fight on.

If you want to play in Cheatmode just get a gwf it is a mini tank/ ultra dps and can heal itself if needed :)

SW is also getting a nice rework in mod 13 that will make the templock a very nice style to play
    pitshade said:

Class balance is better than say Mod1 (LF4M CW) ?

I dissagree here if you want to do tong (new endgame dungeon) You must have a solo gwf dps in the team and all other dps classes are mediocre in there . no other class can go in there and get a 10mil+ one hit. We are in a gwf is the only dps state now. Unless a class balancing (not gwf nerf .. that will just make tong a nightmare) takes place this will remain
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    edited December 2017
    You honestly think that the current situation in Tomb is worse than people spamming CN with 5 CW parties? Really?

And people run Tomb all the time without a single GWF in the party. Just because elitist channels want that doesn't mean it is necessary. Fastest kill of Orcus is with GF as DPS by the way...
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    pitshade said:

You honestly think that the current situation in Tomb is worse than people spamming CN with 5 CW parties? Really?

And people run Tomb all the time without a single GWF in the party. Just because elitist channels want that doesn't mean it is necessary. Fastest kill of Orcus is with GF as DPS by the way...

Yes. My GWF was just a warm body in TONG runs. The main DPS was from a HR.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    mattsacremattsacre Member Posts: 330 Arc User
    If you were into sharandar or dread ring before you left and have old currencies (or buy off AH) you can get into L61 gear that grows with you to L70 and its good. Other than that, your "outdated gear" isn't. You can do just fine off what drops as you roll along, honestly you don't need to go all out investing in gear since you will be outgrowing it in days if not a week. If you must min-max, pre 12/14 patch blue gear was at a all time low cost due to the random que causing a glut. Now that the 12/14 patch lets you convert blues to RP the price may go up some to what the market bares. Get it now (12/14) before it gets mailed back to them for exchange fail, they will probably convert it to RP the cost is so low.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    Basically there are mass class balance issues in the endgame(Tong). CW, SW and TR have major problems finding a slot in endgame runs. 2xDC, GF, OP, GWF is what endgame runs do, with GF and GWF occasionally replaced by other classes with less performance.

You need 15k+ IL anyways to be in demand for Tong - so don't worry about it yet :)
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    pitshade said:

You could at least do CN without a CW... so, yes, that was better.

• Options
    You can do Tomb without any given class, though I suspect that without a DC it will be rough. Regardless, this is about the meta group of t9g vs the meta group of mod1 CN not about non meta groups. In our guild and extended community, we run t9g with people less thab 15k, with or without GWF, with or without 2DC. Don't compare the Meta group of today with a non meta group of yesterday.
  • Options
    drsconedrscone Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    I was in a similar position to you a little while ago - hadn't played for a year or two and a whole lot of stuff had changed. My lovely BiS High Vizier kit was now fit only for salvage, equipment was now also artifacts and even my Ioun Stone was looking a bit old fashioned.

I still haven't ground through all the new storylines - some are definitely better than others, but mostly it's been fun. CWs aren't in a particularly bad place imo - we're not as dominant as we were but we're a long way from being useless. A lot of it depends on how you play, just as it always did.

I haven't paid much attention to the new Guild stuff, but the boons do seem to be pretty important. Nor have I ditched the Ioun stone yet. That's probably going to change since I picked up a Mercenary from a VT run and by all accounts it's a decent companion for keeping up the stacks. Any advice on this would be welcome :)

Anyway, good luck and have fun :)
    Tele Savalas, Dwarf Thaumaturge CW
    Putting the Buff into Debuff since 2013 \o/ (Does that even make sense)?