test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Coming back?

yvictor122yvictor122 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited September 2017 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey all. So after more than a year away, I've started contemplating coming back. If I do come back, I'd like to have your advice about the char I'll return to. I have a wizard, a warlock, a ranger and a cleric. My favorits used to be the two former and the latter. I wonder how the changed in terms of DPS, as this is the main role I usually play.

Edit: As some people pointed out, I was wrong about the subscription, guess I didn't remember as well as I thought. Sorry for that. But I'd still like to hear about the classes I've mentioned.

Thanks in advance
signature-CG5G6RNR_zpsa5351efb.png
Post edited by yvictor122 on

Comments

• Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    What? The game doesn't have subscription nor paid DLCs. The closest thing is ViP and you don't have to buy it. You are sure you are thinking of the right game ?
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Hahaha... As Micky asks, you sure you're at the right forum @yvictor122?
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    I play a Guardian Fighter mainly with a template that [I think!] balances DPS with survivability and generally speaking its really good fun. I dont max out DPS so I can handle solo content as well. I am relatively new to the game though and others will give much better advice than I.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    If you want to run groups, the DC is a safe choice. There is a massive shortage of DCs in game.
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator

Hey all. So after more than a year away, I've started contemplating coming back. If I do come back, I'd like to have your advice about the char I'll return to. I have a wizard, a warlock, a ranger and a cleric. My favorits used to be the two former and the latter. I wonder how the changed in terms of DPS, as this is the main role I usually play.

Edit: As some people pointed out, I was wrong about the subscription, guess I didn't remember as well as I thought. Sorry for that. But I'd still like to hear about the classes I've mentioned.

Thanks in advance

You should probably build your cleric of those 4. The others aren't in a very good position.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

If you want to run groups, the DC is a safe choice. There is a massive shortage of DCs in game.

Right now, the meta for end-game content is to run with 2xDC. The developers have said they want that to change, so demand for DCs will lessen from the current peak. Even after the change, they will be in strong demand for buffing/debuffing. Heals play almost no role in most content due to the fact that characters have access to a huge amount of self-healing.

I play a DC, GF, CW, and HR fairly actively. The first three do fine in end-game content. The HR, less so. I really enjoy the play style of the HR, but it doesn't do enough DPS to keep up in that category, nor can it buff/debuff sufficiently to compete with a DC or OP. If I do set up my HR for maximum buffing, I sacrifice much of its DPS.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    Go cleric. You can passably fill several roles now with loadouts and you can always switch to a buffer/debuffer in a pinch and become the most desirable class to have in a party. On top of it, clerics are quite survivable and can even DPS halfway decently, though everyone will hate you for doing so.
  • Options
    itsyojimbo#5744 itsyojimbo Member Posts: 1 New User
    apparently still takes forever to get your *first time code" email. I see nothing has changed here.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Whether you come back or not, you should never, ever ask the NW community if your returning toon should be a DC versus anything else. People are going to say DC all the time because we're a very "unselfish" group of players and there are oh so many DCs out there :o

And the CW and HR do well if you know what you're doing as far as build/rotation/playstyle. SW is alright but you really need to be top tier to hold your own so it's my least recommended right now. DC might be changing soon but I think everyone should have one anyway.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I would do cleric or ranger
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Whether you come back or not, you should never, ever ask the NW community if your returning toon should be a DC versus anything else. People are going to say DC all the time because we're a very "unselfish" group of players and there are oh so many DCs out there :o

And the CW and HR do well if you know what you're doing as far as build/rotation/playstyle. SW is alright but you really need to be top tier to hold your own so it's my least recommended right now. DC might be changing soon but I think everyone should have one anyway.

I play a DC and I said DC because it's A) a versatile class to play (though people will hate you for using your versatility), B) it's a fun class to play (don't let anyone tell you otherwise - while you might not like some roles, you will be able to find some you will), and C) unlike many classes where you will constantly be trying to find parties to include you, as a DC people will be *begging* to have you around. Unlike a HR and CW, you don't even have to know what you're doing all that well and people will still jump to have you around.

Honestly, if I were to recommend to a friend of mine who was started up what to play I would say DC is the way to go - not for the players in the game, but for my friend. Being a desired class, even when you're far from BiS, is worth something. It lets you more easily dictate the terms of your advantage. When I on my way up, I would be sitting at 10.3k GS (or whatever it was back before the most recent change) and get into 12k+ groups all the time - because I was a DC. TONS of easy runs in tough instances because of that.

Obviously the TS should pick what appeals to them - but if they want an easy go of it, go DC.