test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

24 Hour SIlence System Abuse

doublea2015doublea2015 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
edited September 2017 in Bug Reports (PC)
Yes this system has been abused for the past 8 years that I know of, here in Neverwinter and Star trek online, so I know it cant be due to language because that's what the chat filter is for to begin with, and if someone don't like what I got to say they can simply ignore me, but for this to occur 5 times within a weeks amount of time is insane absurd abuse of this system, and iv been told specific guilds with individuals who like to do this type of thing, so I propose after 8 years of this system being abused in this manner, sure let it silence you for 24 hours only in Zone, Say, Trade and LFG chat, but do not let it silence you on Alliance chat, guild chat, Custom channels chats or Party chat, a most definite adjustment must be made with this level of abuse occurring, and this does hinder game play not being able to get parties and such with your allies and guildies and custom channels you have and admin or own, and a guild leader so yea this feature is being abused in such a way it hinders game play and thats clear violation of TOS from what i remember,so them abusing the feature isn't that violating the TOS? , so again please correct this thank you.

Comments

• Options
    docsnuggles#6615 docsnuggles Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    I fully agree here.
    You just have to have had an arguement with a guild or Alliance full of ***** and they spam reports on you and blam the system mutes you.

And no I typed *****, there was no filter to clean up my language. I leave it to people's own imagination to fill in the blanks.
  • Options
    kisakeekisakee Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    There is a reason why you are muted and if this happens a lot in a single week to you, you can't blame the system for it.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    Ask yourself some questions: Why should people abuse this? Why should they mute you over and over again? What's the meaning of all this? Just think about it.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,238 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    kisakee said:

Ask yourself some questions: Why should people abuse this? Why should they mute you over and over again? What's the meaning of all this? Just think about it.

If there are a few people do not like you for whatever reason (e.g. you have been beating them in PVP), when you show up in chat and say 'hi', they all just gang together to 'report' you. Then, you are banned for a long while. Why? They are bullies?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

kisakee said:

If there are a few people do not like you for whatever reason (e.g. you have been beating them in PVP), when you show up in chat and say 'hi', they all just gang together to 'report' you. Then, you are banned for a long while. Why? They are bullies?
    That's what i mean, why should they do this? There must be a deeply rooted hate within them and i don't think a simple PvP match or something like that could be the reason for a punishment like this. If you are hated this intense maybe you deserved it, don't you think? People always look for someone else taking the fault cause it can't be themself for obvious reason, no?
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    I didn't know about this, so during an argument/casual discussion if several folks desagree with me or dislike me because of some PVP/dungeon run, they can all report and chat ban me?
    This sounds...like virtual bullying D:
    Folks, now you made me afraid of speaking my mind!

Fix this pleaaaase!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    kisakee said:

kisakee said:

That's what i mean, why should they do this? There must be a deeply rooted hate within them and i don't think a simple PvP match or something like that could be the reason for a punishment like this. If you are hated this intense maybe you deserved it, don't you think? People always look for someone else taking the fault cause it can't be themself for obvious reason, no?
    Well, without knowing the detail of the instance, in general, I call this "blame the victim".
    "Why did the gang beat you up? You must be doing something wrong."
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

kisakee said:

kisakee said:

Well, without knowing the detail of the instance, in general, I call this "blame the victim".
    That's the difference between you and me - i know details.
    I can't call them here cause this would be shaming but in my opinion they're using the system absolutely right to silence him and protect all the other folks from him. If i would be able to silence him once and for all - oh believe me, i would so frickin' do it. And i bet that a lot people silencing him are from his own guild/ alliance.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    kisakee said:

kisakee said:

kisakee said:

That's the difference between you and me - i know details.
    I can't call them here cause this would be shaming but in my opinion they're using the system absolutely right to silence him and protect all the other folks from him. If i would be able to silence him once and for all - oh believe me, i would so frickin' do it. And i bet that a lot people silencing him are from his own guild/ alliance.
    There are more than one "victim". You are talking about a specific case. I am talking about the mechanic can be abused in general. I was not talking about a specific case.

You were asking "why should they do this?". If "they" mean you, you have the answer.
  • Options
    Oh, it wasn't me. He's just on my ignore list. To be true i can't believe that someone will silence you for nothing or just for fun cause there is no meaning to it. If i want to silence someone it's cause he's annoying or something.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

kisakee said:

Oh, it wasn't me. He's just on my ignore list. To be true i can't believe that someone will silence you for nothing or just for fun cause there is no meaning to it. If i want to silence someone it's cause he's annoying or something.

It is supposed to be used to report goldspammers. It is not there for people you find annoying, and in an organized way getting them banned. The system need some work.
    It's there to report spammers. Players are capable of spamming too.

But that said, organizing a group of people to quickly and repeatedly mute someone is abusive / harassment. I would hope that the devs / community team take this seriously.

BUT

Then there's also practical advice: these systems are very unlikely to be fixed fast (these threads come up every year or so), so the best thing you can do is try to stop making yourself a target. That's pretty victim-blamey, but also most realistic in the short term.
  • Options
    It's hard to clear one's name if the same person is using its alt account to flame around like s/he did before with the main. And that's the reason why the main account will instant be silenced right after it's unbanned. You hear this @doublea2015?
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Technically, can one person ban another person from chat? [I don't know the answer and that is why I ask]

Say, Peter does not like Paul. When Paul is talking in chat, Peter reports him. Then, switch to another account, since Paul is still talking and not aware of it, Peter alt 2 reports him. Then, Peter alts 3 .....

I am thinking organizing 20 person is harder than one person being 20 himself.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Technically, can one person ban another person from chat? [I don't know the answer and that is why I ask]

Say, Peter does not like Paul. When Paul is talking in chat, Peter reports him. Then, switch to another account, since Paul is still talking and not aware of it, Peter alt 2 reports him. Then, Peter alts 3 .....

I am thinking organizing 20 person is harder than one person being 20 himself.

This was too fast, unless they had 20 PCs with diff accounts on each one. This was literally within a couple of minutes. This is an organized mob.
    No, I am not talking about a specific instance. I am asking if that is technically possible to ban another person by logout/login to 20 accounts. I understand the chat will be wiped for each fresh login. Hence, it only works if Paul keeps talking.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,098 Arc User

Ya, he got unbanned and then said one thing in a zerg channel and was banned again, almost instantly.

Then I'd suggest staying out of zerg.

This is an organized mob.

"Organized mob" is an oxymoron.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    elrondknightelrondknight Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Ya, he got unbanned and then said one thing in a zerg channel and was banned again, almost instantly.

Then I'd suggest staying out of zerg.

This is an organized mob.

"Organized mob" is an oxymoron.
    Actually, it's a redundancy.

This discussion has been closed.