test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

From Patch Notes Corsair Keyboard Support??

Comments

• bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    Ironically, it started working again for me late last night. Since this morning's patch, my keyboard has reverted back to not changing when the game launches.
  • wraithr32wraithr32 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 38 Arc User
    I just got the Corsair K70 RGB Rapid Fire and it would not work until I had rebooted, and then worked first time. On the subject of colours, could you turn off the colours or change the colours of the keys that are not used in combat?
  • thelordrahlthelordrahl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    alright so with the newest patch the game now supports lighting effects (rgb color schemes) for both corsair and steelseries keyboards. you can read the patch notes here....
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10613994

i tried to contact support, they were next to useless and said "support for external peripherals such as keyboard is outside of our support boundaries". which was clearly wrong since their devs have written in code to interact with my keyboards drivers and interface with them (if you doubt this see the above patch notes). they failed because my rgb lighting is freaking out everything i have the client running. there is no selectable option box in the in game menu to disable it. does anyone know of how to edit the code itself to disable this integration? something as simple as swapping some numbers in a random ini file would be nice, prolly too much to hope for though hu?
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    I do believe your keyboard driver itself has a way to disable this effect... although, I do agree, it is pretty bad of them not to include a way in the game itself to disable such effects.

Over on this thread one of the devs stated:

Users of certain Corsair keyboards with contextual lighting can now use the command "gfxEnable 0" in order to pause the changes in lighting. To turn it back on again, they can use "gfxEnable 1" instead.

I can't find the other thread, but it was stated that you did need to enable a setting in your keyboard drivers to give applications like Neverwinter the ability to use your keyboard LEDs.

Good luck resolving your issue! :)

@samaka#2511
    Wow,and now it has stopped working... the gfxEnable command comes up as invalid in game too.
    OK, so it seems to work for me after rebooting and having "Advanced" turned off through the reboot. If Advanced is turned on and off without a reboot then the SDK does not seem to work.
  • chadvaliantchadvaliant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    I'm assuming the thing about Corsair gear in the latest patch notes has nothing to do with fixing this as mine is still broken.

I tried the "gfxenable" command too and it was unknown.

Did the notes just get a little ahead of the actual implementation?
    Are you Corsair or Steelseries? I believe that you can turn Corsair off by unticking the SDK option in the CUE program. No idea about Steelseries, sorry.

The "gfxenable" command doesn't seem to actually be implemented yet. I just get an unknown command error.

Are you Corsair or Steelseries? I believe that you can turn Corsair off by unticking the SDK option in the CUE program. No idea about Steelseries, sorry.

YES! This was what it said in the thread I couldn't find! :)

@samaka#2511
  • thelordrahlthelordrahl Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    i have a steelseries keyboard. they added a profile into the gamesense category. which means they submitted it to the steelseries team and had it updated so its applied to all steelseries keyboards. its not being run through the game at all. prob is, the lighting scheme they made is totally bugged. i was able to disable it, but since its not a profile on my own computer i cant delete it. any steelseries uses with rgb support are going to get this bugged lighting scheme.

the fact that this all started directly after the most recent patch still has me thinking that the patch is in some way connected to this. it could just be a coinsidence that it started then, but i doubt it.
    The latest patch would have been when they added support for the keyboard lighting schemes.

Can you just disable the SDK option, if you have one, or some other keyboard driver setting? The game is talking to your keyboard in some way, otherwise it couldn't control the lights at all! :)
    @samaka#2511

i have a steelseries keyboard. they added a profile into the gamesense category. which means they submitted it to the steelseries team and had it updated so its applied to all steelseries keyboards. its not being run through the game at all. prob is, the lighting scheme they made is totally bugged. i was able to disable it, but since its not a profile on my own computer i cant delete it. any steelseries uses with rgb support are going to get this bugged lighting scheme.

the fact that this all started directly after the most recent patch still has me thinking that the patch is in some way connected to this. it could just be a coinsidence that it started then, but i doubt it.

The support for Corsair was added a week or two earlier but Steelseries was just added in the last patch so it's not a coincidence.

Out of curiosity, how exactly is it bugged? For Corsair, the custom lighting scheme simply either works or does not work at all. Seems like random chance if it starts up with the game. Is this what is happening to you?

On a side note, for Corsair, the enter key and a couple of other keys do have a strange flicker every now and again. I wasn't going to worry about this until they actually get it to turn on consistently though. However if your "bugged" is also strange flickers then they might need to do something sooner rather than later.
  • shinigami#8287 shinigami Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 5 Cryptic Developer
    For the people that are trying to use the gfxEnable command: There was a typo wherever you saw that command name. The actual command names are gfxCorsairEnable and gfxSteelEnable. They are on by default, and can be turned off by running gfxCorsairEnable 0 or gfxSteelEnable 0 in the game or as command line arguments. It is better to do it as an argument before the game starts up. This will completely prevent the initialization. Running it mid game for Corsair will just disable updates. So, the colors will just get stuck at whatever they already were. Running it mid game for Steel will stop anything from being sent, and after around 15 seconds without a heartbeat, the colors should go back to normal.

For anyone using Corsair: The only change that was made to try and make things work is that it will now take exclusive control of the lights when it starts. So, other programs shouldn't be able to change them unless they were started after Neverwinter and also took exclusive control. To help with debugging though, some logging was added to the Corsair initialization process. It can be enabled by running -gfxCorsairDebug 1 or gfxCorsairDebug 2 as a command line argument. Setting it to 2 instead of 1 will make it occasionally print out a line when the color commit happens. If you are still having problems with Corsair, please run one of these along with -console in the command line. Find anywhere that "Corsair" appears in the console and then post the lines you see here. Hopefully this will help narrow down where in the process things are going wrong.

To run any of the command line options described above, go to options in the Neverwinter launcher, and enter them into the command line box at the bottom.

@thelordrahl: The best way to get support for the keyboards right now is to post here. Contacting support won't help because they won't know anything about this. I'll be keeping an eye on this forum though. Could you describe the problem you're having in more detail? What colors are you seeing and on which keys? What keyboard are you using? Do you have any other programs running that might be sending color changes to the steel series engine? Have you changed the keybinds for the daily power or artifact keys? Having different keybinds for them than the default means it will have some weird flickering from having to rebind the handlers for the events. This should only happen when you enter a map though. For now, you can disable the effects with the gfxSteelEnable 0 command as described above. You should also be able to disable it in the steel series engine's app tab.

For everyone that's been posting here: We haven't been able to get either keyboard to break locally. Every time we make a change it goes from working to still working. Which is not very helpful feedback. The information we've been getting from here is all we have to go on at this point for these problems. So, thank you for posting in this forum, and please continue to provide updates about the problems you are seeing.
    edited August 2017

Find anywhere that "Corsair" appears in the console and then post the lines you see here.

Could you be more specific here please?

I entered -gfxCorsairDebug 2 into the launcher command line and ran the game. The lights didn't work and so I looked for lines in a console. There was nothing in the in game console/chat box and so I looked in the game files. I found a file called debug and it had a lot of errors but none of them Corsair related. I then tried -gfxCorsairDebug 1 in the launcher but got the exact same result.

Where should we be looking for this information? Or is this information simply missing as it hasn't even registered that we have Corsair keyboards?

Ignore the above, I found the console you were talking about, sorry.

I needed to type -gfxCorsairDebug 1, -console into the command line and not just the gfx thing.

Here is what I got:

Corsair Debug: Initializing Corsair with gfxCorsairEnable 1.
    Corsair Debug: Failed to load dll.
    edited August 2017
    I might have found something important.

If I get a small patch (247KB, the exact size of the dll) before the Play button comes up then my lights will work. No patch, no lights.

Is the dll being deleted somehow and only works again when the launcher realises something is missing?
    Post edited by chadvaliant on
    Could you check to make sure you have the CUESDK_2015.dll in the same place as the game client? Is it still there when you're starting the game or after the game has started and the lights didn't work? It shouldn't be getting deleted, so if it's disappearing or moving around at any point, then that is definitely a problem.
  • rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    @chadvaliant and @shinigami I think this matches my earlier observation where I caused a loading delay to improve the chances. While the delay itself may be another false indicator I did notice that when the delay was in the initial "Patching" stage ( first screen where you can see the status of the server and choose between regular Neverwinter and preview ) I had more success then when the overall load was delayed. It may have been downloading/rebuilding the cuesdk dll. I also remember doing a search for the dll and not finding it. I searched very generically because I didn't know if it was named something different so I looked for things like "*cue*.dll".

Anyway I just did a search for CUESDK_2015.dll and found it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter\Playtest" with a create date of today, probably because I did a quick patch update for the preview. Unfortunately I did this remotely so I'm not at home right now to see if the keyboard works in preview but the DLL is not in the "Live" directory.

Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
    @chadvaliant and @shinigami Get this: I did a force verify for "Live" and the dll was still missing. Then I closed the launcher, ran it again, logged in and saw something got patched real quick. Now I have the dll in both "Live" and "Playtest"!
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
    @shinigami Yep the dll is being removed. When I do a force verify and then restart the launcher the cuesdk_2015.dll will no longer be in the Live folder. When I close the launcher and start it a second time it sometimes puts the dll back in "Live". I think it mirrored the dll from playtest but it went by too fast for me to see.
    Nixon the TR
    o1iHDN0.png?1
    edited August 2017
    P.S. Way back when this started I asked for the name of the DLL and didn't get an answer. I figured it was missing or installed wrong but no one told me so I didn't know what to search for. Just sayin'.... :p

P.P.S. Made a backup copy of cuesdk_2015.dll, ran the force verify and it again deleted this dll from "Live". That's 3 for 3. But this time I didn't close the launcher. Instead I copied the backup to the "Live" folder then clicked PLAY and the keyboard did its thing! So I'll just keep my backup handy until you all fix your patch update. :)
    Nixon the TR
    o1iHDN0.png?1
    Exactly what rgladiato said, launcher is mirroring something and deleting the dll.
    Is this happening for any of the other dlls? The LightFX.dll, which I think is used for the Razer keyboards, should be in the same place. Can you tell if it's ever getting deleted? They should be handled the same way, so it's really weird that this is only a problem for the Corsair dll.

@rgladiato: Is it consistently getting deleted from your Playtest folder too, or is that one always working?

@shinigami The LightFX.dll is in both Live and Playtest for me with create dates of 6/16/2017 and 6/19/2017 respectively so I don't think they are getting deleted.

As for CUESDK_2015.DLL it will also be deleted from Playtest if I "Force verify" while NeverwinterPreview is selected.
    Nixon the TR
    o1iHDN0.png?1
    edited August 2017
    rgladiato said:

@shinigami The LightFX.dll is in both Live and Playtest for me with create dates of 6/16/2017 and 6/19/2017 respectively so I don't think they are getting deleted.

As for CUESDK_2015.DLL it will also be deleted from Playtest if I "Force verify" while NeverwinterPreview is selected.

And for more fun I'm thinking you've got some bad patch servers out there. There were two times when I "Force verify" and the missing corsair dll came back! Both times were PatchRedirectServer 208.95.184.30. If I hit a 'bad' IP address, such as 208.95.186.138 or 208.95.186.50 I wouldn't get the missing corsair dll. And if I already had the corsair dll the 'bad' patch servers would delete it!

EDIT:

@shingami Found this in the pcl.log file for the 'bad' loads:

170823 22:07:35 33 [1]: HTTP patching connected to level3.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80 (localport=61226)
    170823 22:07:35 34 [1]: HTTP patching disconnected from level3.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80 after 0 completed responses (localport=61226): bytes_xferred < 0 from safeRecv in bsdProcessPackets:linkQueueRemove(0:No error)
    170823 22:07:35 35 [1]: HTTP patching failed for CUESDK_2015.DLL: bytes_xferred < 0 from safeRecv in bsdProcessPackets:linkQueueRemove(0:No error)
    170823 22:07:35 38 [1]: HTTP patching connected to level3.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80 (localport=61227)
    170823 22:07:35 39 [1]: HTTP patching disconnected from level3.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80 after 0 completed responses (localport=61227): bytes_xferred < 0 from safeRecv in bsdProcessPackets:linkQueueRemove(0:No error)
    170823 22:07:35 40 [1]: HTTP patching failed for CUESDK_2015.DLL: bytes_xferred < 0 from safeRecv in bsdProcessPackets:linkQueueRemove(0:No error)
    170823 22:07:35 43 [1]: HTTP patching connected to level3.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80 (localport=61228)
    170823 22:07:35 44 [1]: HTTP patching disconnected from level3.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com:80 after 0 completed responses (localport=61228): bytes_xferred < 0 from safeRecv in bsdProcessPackets:linkQueueRemove(0:No error)
    170823 22:07:35 45 [1]: Warning: HTTP patching failed for CUESDK_2015.DLL: bytes_xferred < 0 from safeRecv in bsdProcessPackets:linkQueueRemove(0:No error)

These errors were not in the pcl.log when I successfully received the corsair dll.
    Nixon the TR
    o1iHDN0.png?1

Is this happening for any of the other dlls? The LightFX.dll, which I think is used for the Razer keyboards, should be in the same place. Can you tell if it's ever getting deleted? They should be handled the same way, so it's really weird that this is only a problem for the Corsair dll.

@rgladiato: Is it consistently getting deleted from your Playtest folder too, or is that one always working?

Just happening for the Corsair dll. The LightFX dll didn't get deleted.
    There was a problem with some of the patch servers. Something has been done to fix it now. Is anyone still having the same problem?

There was a problem with some of the patch servers. Something has been done to fix it now. Is anyone still having the same problem?

No more problems here!
    Nixon the TR
    o1iHDN0.png?1
    No more problems for me either.

Seems like the work @rgladiato put into this has fixed it. Huge thanks to you, much appreciated!
    Since the last CUE update for my Corsair, unless there was an update by Cryptic, my keyboard has been working perfectly. I think it was the CUE update as some other things are working properly that were broken.
    No it was Cryptic that was broken. A couple of their patch servers had an issue that caused the needed file to be deleted. It was fixed their end and didn't need a patch. Now that the required dll file no longer gets deleted it works every time. Well this is true for me anyway, you might have had some other things happening with Corsair at the same time, their software is famously bad.