test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nostura - is there an easy way?

callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
Ok so I have got to the point where I need to complete the Nostura dungeon.

But with all the lag recently, my pc crashing and my general hamfisted pay style I am looking at those jumps and avoiding balls and thinking this just isnt going to work out for me.

So as with Gyrion [and the jumps bit] is there any way of avoiding the stag riding bit? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Find a group, let them know you're probably not going to be able to run successfully due to your performance issues, let them run it, and then go through the portal opened when they are done to jump directly to the castle.

You will have to begin the course but once you are defeated, you have to wait for the group to finish or wipe regardless.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    You can avoid even that by not joining the party until they are already at the course or better yet, the castle.

Do note that the course is NOT timed and there are no penalties for stopping. There are safe paths through all but the last pattern of spheres and even with that, getting hit by one sphere isn't lethal if you keep moving. Obviously, bad enough lag can make anything unplayable of course.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I agree with the others, the only viable way is to group with others and if you die on the trip just use the portal
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Once you learn the patterns this is probably the easiest dungeon to farm. Take your time, learn the best way through. If lag is the killer, then grouping and the portal is probably the only way.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    pitshade said:

You can avoid even that by not joining the party until they are already at the course or better yet, the castle.

Do note that the course is NOT timed and there are no penalties for stopping. There are safe paths through all but the last pattern of spheres and even with that, getting hit by one sphere isn't lethal if you keep moving. Obviously, bad enough lag can make anything unplayable of course.

A couple notes:
    Many of the "snare traps" that pull you in have a tiny path immediately to the left of them where you can ride by without triggering them. Most notably the first trap and one of the annoying traps surrounded by purple balls both can be avoided this way.

For the last set of desynchronized balls, here's my strategy:
    Pick a side (left or right) and line up right against the wall.
    Wait until the 1st ball comes to your side and just as it pulls away, step forward.
    If there's room to move forward (past the 2nd ball) do so.
    If there's not room (the 2nd ball is coming towards you), wait it out (you'll have plenty of time) and as soon as the 2nd ball pulls away, step forward.
    Then repeat this.

Basically: pick a side, go forward until you can't. Wait for the next ball to pull away, go forward until you can't. Repeat.

Then I actually like to use the boost on the log bridge at the end, since I find it easier to jump up the bridge rather than trying to avoid slipping down. But if you're not a great jumper then you can jump right off too, so I can see taking the bridge slowly on a bad connection. If you're slick and you have a fast mount, you can manage to cross the bridge only touching it a few times (my record is only 3 touches, and one was right at the base)
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    The speed boost also prevents the traps from grabbing you - I always use it on the first trap
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    armadeonx said:

The speed boost also prevents the traps from grabbing you - I always use it on the first trap

If you do this, everyone else behind you gets sucked into the trap. If they don't know to trigger speed boost, they get hit. If you do this on later traps and their speedboost is on cooldown, they get hit.

I blast through the traps when I'm alone, but I try not to when I'm in a group.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Thanks all great help and advice. Sadly the lag was too bad and I couldn't get as far as the bridge. I avoided some of the moving balls and traps and I can imagine that on a good connection and fast PC it might actually be fun! Since the Grpahics patches of the last few months the whole game is virtually unplayable for me in certain areas - Lonelywood for example with all the trees I can barely move in now. I was running BHEs at speed until that patch back in May was it?

Anyhow thanks for all the help and the gang who helped me through last night! It was great that one player was encouraging saying "You can do it! Go on!"

Nice to see some nice players in the game still
  • Options
    nightstalkornightstalkor Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    Ok, just did this for the first time... and if you're calling this easy, I think you're insane.

Balls o' Death, Trap seals, dodging and avoiding said same, those 4 rapidly moving balls before the slippery wood bridge of insult on top of injury, and then once you're into the actual castle, a boss w/ a BS regenerating mechanic. I spent over 20 minutes and at least 15 tries JUST to get to the castle. IN. SANE.
    Oh, forgot the Leaps of Doom, make sure to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use your speed at the cliff and the waterfall. At least w/ Gyrion you have the glowy path for the 1st part, although personally I find it insulting and in extreme poor taste that the glowy path is disabled for the second jumping series.
    Point is though that you have a checkpoint setup in Gyrion, and that is one thing that the Nostura run sorely needs. A good respawn place would be the waterfall. Having to rerun and Rerun and RERUN the whole course time and time again just got me killed more, and made me angrier. If the last boss world is worse than this, somebody should GET FIRED.

Seriously. I am not here to get frustrated by stupid boss mechanics and God Awful jumping/dodging puzzles. That's not fun for me. Especially the part where I have to redo the same trip over and over again just because of some sadistic individual's desire to show off how creative they are.
    Right now I probably won't run Nostura again until I can upgrade My CW w/ some better enchantments. Took me something like 10 mins to kill the witch, and that's just too darn long in the face of having to run an obstacle course that I will no doubt have to run three or four times every time I want to get to the castle.

One last thing.. It would be a REAL novelty to see, just FOR ONCE, one of these super bosses that actually gets affected by my chills and "control" powers. I can't think of a single boss in Well of Dragons, River District, or Storm King that is appreciably slowed or hindered by my "controls". Playing a CW at almost 12k, that gets really old, especially since they all run like Steve Austin and hit like the Hulk.

Not cool, dev guys. Not cool at all.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    The easier way is repetition. I did this with a DC 35 time solo. Yea the first few times running the gauntlet was frustrating. But after a few runs, I got the glowing ball pattern down and was able to do the obstacle course on the first try consistently. Even got the total run time down under 10 minutes.

Best tip is party up if you having trouble finishing this.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,229 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    It was not easy and I hate it. I finished 3 toon for Gryion and 1 toon (the OP) for the fire one. I left this one to be my last for my DC because I could not imagine I could do it. However, i bite the bullet bit by bit. After I did that 25 times. as namelesshero said, I got the ball pattern and when to do what. It was not that bad afterward. I finally finished it 3 days before mod 12 landed. My experience and time to finish werfe similar to namelesshero. My DC is about 11k.

P.S. You don't need to use the speed at all. I did not use it anywhere and when I use it, I usually mess it up. To jump over the cliff and waterfall, press the space bar and don't release it until after you cross.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    The speed buff is useful to get through the last set of red balls. You can shoot straight thru them. The biggest danger was if I still had the speed buff and I try to cross the last bridge, I sometimes fell off and had to start over.

I did Kabal for my GF. That was before loadouts so doing it 35 times solo as a tact IV was very painful. I dreaded that even more than Nostura. Clear time was about double Nostura.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,229 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I don't use the speed buff for the last set of ball more or less I did not know better. What I did for that is:

wait for the first 2 ball went left. Walk to the 2nd row.
    Stop.
    Wait for the 3rd ball goes left. Walk up.
    Stop.
    Wait for the final ball to go left, walk across.

I did Kabal for my OP. Yes, it takes a longer time for my OP to do Kabal than my DC did Nostura if I compare the time spend after I know how to do them "right".
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    after u done the unlock for the first time they should made the next time straight to castle nostura
  • Options
    nightstalkornightstalkor Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

after u done the unlock for the first time they should made the next time straight to castle nostura

NOW there's an idea. Brilliant and simple.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Guys if you take your time on the first few attempts, you will learn the patterns and find that this is possibly the easiest one to grind out a worth while weapon.
  • Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    I've never made it to the end either lol The jumps get me everytime! Nothing worse than getting past that last scramble of balls and falling off the edge!
  • Options
    There is more fun after that @reg1981
  • Options
    mjonismjonis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    At first I found this very difficult, but then I found a very nice youtube video and it totally helped me with the Stag part (I no longer die now), and now that I know the Nostura fight process, my CW (still using old gear from Mod 9) is able to whack her fairly easily (although may need a health potion or two in the process). I'm not sure my DC could survive the fight though.

I used this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zIcr00wBJc