test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Make HR dodge more responsive?

cust0mxcust0mx Member Posts: 60 Arc User
edited June 2017 in The Wilds
hello!
Ive made a short video about HR's dodge that leads to a lot of frustation in my opinion (especially in pvp)

Do other HRs feel the same about it? dont you think that devs should take a look about the animation?
I dont think that would requiere that much "dev's time" to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKSXHe_5Ahg

@rgutscheradev @nitocris83
Post edited by cust0mx on

Answers

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    hrs dodge are a joke, i would take sw sprint anyday
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Yeah its a damn joke, i want to show how broken it is with that video.
    I was not sure if i should put it in bug report tbh; because how it works right now is kinda sad.
    What is the point of having dodges if we cant cast to react to an incoming damage
    Post edited by cust0mx on
  • Options
    teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    lol, nice vid
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • Options
    stefoid#1036 stefoid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    the lounge version of neverwinter!

thx. I get pasted a lot even when dodging, so now I know why.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

I play an HR (my main) and a Temptation SW and for PVE I would take the SW sprint anytime over the HR dodge. I recently soloed eCC with both of them and when Blackdagger throws his bombs the SW sprint is pretty much flawless and reliable, just start a moment before Blackie throws and sprint away and you never get damaged. With the HR it's basically down to dodge spamming and hoping for the best (unless you are fast enough to simply walk out, but that's a different story) because even if you dodge spam you have gaps between the immunity frames.

The main issue is that the immunity frame seems to be out-of sync with the animation even when I'm not lagging at all and with a ping of about 100-120, which should be low enough for PVE. The immunity frame always starts later than the animation but even that delay is not really reliable.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options

rayrdan said:

The main issue is that the immunity frame seems to be out-of sync with the animation (...) The immunity frame always starts later than the animation but even that delay is not really reliable.
    Yep. Have you watched the video i posted? that's exactly what it shows

• Options
    earlgreybeardearlgreybeard Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    HR dodge always executes two moves which often puts you too far from where you wanted to be... is one of the annoying aspects of it for me, I was thinking they could improve the HR shift move by having a maybe something more precise like using single click 1 quick dash -double click 2 (how it is now) and hold for continuous movement .. there should be no gaps in the immunity/damage reduction when moving continuously until the stamina runs out like the other classes ,of course

Guild Leader Den of the Misfits
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The delay is not consistent, its frustrating. Don't mean to branch off, but has anyone rooted themselves lately? The other day I killed myself a few times, should have made a clip. Love this game! I mention this here because it was during the scorpions.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • Options
    zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    Looks like a bug to me. Post it in bug reports.
  • Options
  • Options
    > @cust0mx said:
    > hrs dodge are a joke, i would take sw sprint anyday
    >
    > The main issue is that the immunity frame seems to be out-of sync with the animation (...) The immunity frame always starts later than the animation but even that delay is not really reliable.
    >
    > Yep. Have you watched the video i posted? that's exactly what it shows

Yup. Good video.
  • Options
    jackanuckox3jackanuckox3 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Totally agree. We basically have to look into the future to dodge important stuff like bull charge .. just meh
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Nice video. Our dodge is fine, as long as you are a precog. That lingering immune frame is crazy.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    Ive changed my mind - I like it as shown - the only annoyance is that I didnt realize that was how it worked because its not intuitive, but now that I know, its fine. Its an abstraction of you hunter rangers skill at dodging, not a realtime action simulation.

Reason I like it better is there is less 'dead time'. If your immunity frame included the shift animation then thats half a second of valuable immunity were you cant do anything.

As far as knowing when to dodge, you use the red areas like always, you just have to dodge half a second sooner than is intuitive.

You could argue that if you were immune while shifting, you dont have to shift so early, so you can do more stuff before shifting... however, the timing is harder trying to do stuff just before you are about to get hit as opposed to doing it just after something has just attacked and is in cooldown. Where 'stuff' is generally a complete flurry cycle for a combat ranger.
  • Options

Ive changed my mind - I like it as shown - the only annoyance is that I didnt realize that was how it worked because its not intuitive, but now that I know, its fine. Its an abstraction of you hunter rangers skill at dodging, not a realtime action simulation.

Reason I like it better is there is less 'dead time'. If your immunity frame included the shift animation then thats half a second of valuable immunity were you cant do anything.

As far as knowing when to dodge, you use the red areas like always, you just have to dodge half a second sooner than is intuitive.

You could argue that if you were immune while shifting, you dont have to shift so early, so you can do more stuff before shifting... however, the timing is harder trying to do stuff just before you are about to get hit as opposed to doing it just after something has just attacked and is in cooldown. Where 'stuff' is generally a complete flurry cycle for a combat ranger.

Can I borrow your crystal ball? ;)
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I love the HR dodge mechanic and think it is one of the best in the game. Once you get used to how it works it is fantastic.

Late game you only really need to dodge the 1 shotters (mainly bosses) and anything that would knock you prone. Prone is one of the worst things that can happen to a player so it is best to learn every tough enemy that can do it.

The main function of dodge for me is like quick reloading on shooters. Some powers can be cancelled out of early by dodging, the only true way of achieving top DPS with this class is learning to dodge out of some animations early whilst they still work and connect.

My HR PF Trapper is incredibly tough so I dont dodge most enemies attacks, my Deflect will cause multiple hit backs due to lots of Boons and other things. So dodging most mobs attacks would in fact yield me less DPS, thus just the annoying ones need to be dodged. You can set up your HR to face tank a lot of things if you really want to... I have a clip somewhere where I face tanked things like No Sympathy and The Giants without using a single dodge lol.... I have gone back to smashing out the DPS again rather than just face tanking things.

Edit... actually that is a complete lie, I just realised, the main function I use dodge for is for getting into and out of range for Longstriders etc. Sometimes I dodge into an area I want to be to fire off something like Plant Growth.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    I think its probably the way it is because the devs dont want to make a special code case for it. Its like an effect where "first you cast the ability and then when you finish casting, the effect happens", and they have just shovelled the dodge effect into that general system. First you "cast" a dodge, then the dodge happens....

Whereas the other classes, do they even dodge bro? or is it just a special movement that gets them out of the area quickly, with no 'dodge effect' at all?
  • Options

I dont have one, but I read a handy tip from the loading screens the other day - apparently the red areas indicate when an enemy is about to make a powerful attack :-P
  • Options
    you can like it or not, it doesnt change the fact that HR dodges are BROKEN.

You cant react in time, precasting a dodge is not something that should be done. DC/CW/TR dodge can be chained for 100% immunity frame, and there is no delay of the iframe.

Its only somehow "ok" in pve because there is red telegraph on the floor that tells you something is going to happen, in pvp if you are lucky to have decent ping and see a GF starting a bullcharge, you CANNOT even dodge it in time.

So please, how canyou even support that broken animation?
    I am used to it also, its been 3years i play with that crapy dodge, ofc in pve its not really a big deal (for now, bc pve is walk in the park at endgame), but this really and huge disadvantage in pvp.

Getting used to it, or somehow managing it in pve shouldnt impact the fact that it needs fixing.
  • Options
    There is no 'starting a bull charge' as it just happens. Game lag may be your biggest issue. Knowing their rotation, their sequence is how you can determine the counter. And it can be dodged. It is why you should also have Fox in your rotation when facing one or two of them.

I don't like the delay either. I too wish it was instant. But I know it works because it has saved me from many TR dunks as it seems you hear it beginning before it actually is applied. The dodge delay/timing seems to be where it needs to be to avoid a TR's massive hit.

Good luck with PvP, I have put the brakes on and mainly do PvE.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • Options
    Wah thx for the great tips @teucer#3019 !
    Im playing an archery pvp build with battlehoned and cruel recovery, i'm now sloting fox as encounter after your post.
    I usually use hawk shot/commanding shot/binding arrow so i think i'll need to adjust with fox for the gameplay, but it really helps me dodging bullcharge quite often.

Do you have other tips like that? would be much appreciated.
  • Options

I dont have one, but I read a handy tip from the loading screens the other day - apparently the red areas indicate when an enemy is about to make a powerful attack :-P
    Unless you face a GF in PvP... or any ranged enemy in PvE with fast animations... or rogues in mSP... or....