test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tank Companions

nightranger7477nightranger7477 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
Hello all, I'm currently running rust monster, energon, earth archon, harper bard (summoned) death slaad and was wondering elemental air cultist was worth upgrading? to replace earth archon for buff debuff tank Op? Pc players imput would be greatly appreciated as I'm on console. TY in advance.

Comments

• trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    Earth Archon is very good for Prot OP, probably better to replace Death Slaad for another debuff companion (e.g. Chicken) or companion that gives straight damage boost (e.g. Air/Fire Archon, Siege Master). Young Yeti for active bonus would be good too when the damage part gets fixed. Galeb Duhr could also be a good choice.
  • oggycz#5356 oggycz Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    For my devo pally I use chicken/rust monster for debuff, young yeti (summoned), and 2 archons for dungeons. For solo I use 3 archons, young yeti (summoned) and owlbear cub.
    Svatá Prdelka
    game - Human/real life - ???
    OP 18k+ Devotion/Justice - Light
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    While not technically a tank companion, I am currently leveling up a con artist (yes, 2 gold Con Artist from the Emporium) for the 10% debuff it offers (got to get it at least to blue). I've seen a few top end builds run this or Sell sword at legendary summoned....
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    I'd personally keep the Bard, the debuff is close enough to Con Artist, unless you needthe stats afforded from 3x rings.

A combo I'm liking is Chicken, Rust, Slyph, and the new Elemental Air Cultist. The Cultist I haven't tested myself (blah blah lazy blah blah essay blah blah Mass Effect Andromeda), but if it works, it sounds great.

• mcgwarfacemcgwarface Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    For DPS.....Leg Fire Archon w R12 Bondings, Epic Air and Earth Archons, Owlbear and Rust Monster or Energon/Yeti

For Survival: Leg Frozen Galeb Duhr w r12s, Epic Seigemaster, Shadow Demon, Bullet Pup, Dread Warrior/Rust Monster

Or mix them ;)
    rubytrue said:

While not technically a tank companion, I am currently leveling up a con artist (yes, 2 gold Con Artist from the Emporium) for the 10% debuff it offers (got to get it at least to blue). I've seen a few top end builds run this or Sell sword at legendary summoned....

Con is awesome. I'm definitely staying with mine and SKT rings. Extra defense slot actually is quite nice since I don't have any defense except gear and guild boon and I don't use Negation. With epic rings it's great to manage stats with 3 ring slots, any combination of Dod, Hellig and Krig depending on what stats you're lacking or want to focus on. It gets complicated once you get the legendary ones. Because Dod/Hellig is better on character for power sharing, they take the priority there. Losing defense slots may also be a disadvantage in some cases.
    rjc9000 said:

I'd personally keep the Bard, the debuff is close enough to Con Artist, unless you needthe stats afforded from 3x rings.

A combo I'm liking is Chicken, Rust, Slyph, and the new Elemental Air Cultist. The Cultist I haven't tested myself (blah blah lazy blah blah essay blah blah Mass Effect Andromeda), but if it works, it sounds great.

I love the control resist from Sylph, that 50% really makes a difference. But with AA it doesn't really matter. I have and use Rust and/or Chicken depending on the needs.
  • elbowmedic#6572 elbowmedic Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I currently run lion (primary rank 40), energon, loun stone of might, owlbear, and based on where I am or who I'm running with pewter golem (FBI) or black ice prospector if running with a CW.
    Switched to one of the augments for babytanking demo with a tank in training. I might switch back to the one that heals when you pop super just for the ring and defense slots. Since the the hill climb in FBI seems to be the only problem area. can tank orcus with his balls on your face dies while looking like a blue oxygen atom by a rock.
  • hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    On Xbox the Bard does not proc Protector's Camaraderie/Friendship. Is this working as intended?
  • michaelrn1982michaelrn1982 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I'm currently running Bullete pup (summoned, rank 40 with 3x eldritch runetones), sylph, will-o-wisp, rust monster and energon. The added bonus of a 75% CR and 25% CB (control resist and bonus) is a nice addition. I'll swap out the wisp for the chicken for bigger fights as needed.
    Gathornia The Divine

Check out the Shadowknight Build for OP Protection here

[Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (446273) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (514415) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (521299) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (555505) Physical Damage to you with Wand Sweep.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus deals 64883 (648828) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.

• thrill#1417 thrill Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    I use Con Artist (Summoned), Energon, Owlbear cub, Fire Archon. The last spot rotates between Seige Master and Rust Monster.

On Xbox the Bard does not proc Protector's Camaraderie/Friendship. Is this working as intended?

I think so since Harper Bard doesn't attack, he just uses his powers.
  • hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I thought so. Kinda hoping that wasn't the case and it might be like bonding runestones, when your companion activates a power. Planned to use as the summoned companion. Bought for 1.5mil and a further 500k to upgrade to epic :(.

I thought so. Kinda hoping that wasn't the case and it might be like bonding runestones, when your companion activates a power. Planned to use as the summoned companion. Bought for 1.5mil and a further 500k to upgrade to epic :(.

Wait, so you have Harper Bard? That's awesome, use it. It's probably better than Con Artist/Sellsword. He has power that increases summoner's HP by 10% - more power for Aura Gifts, plus power that increases allies power and crit. If I could get it bound (price on PS4 is 19 mil) I'd probably use it, but I have 3 legendary rings for Con Artist.
  • extremerugburn#9480 extremerugburn Member Posts: 57 Arc User

Just swap out protectors camaraderie/friendship for other mount insignia bonuses, Their are plenty of good ones to choose from.
  • littlebiblittlebib Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I just found a blue Harper Bard in Shores (bound). I'm my summoned companion is the dwarf you get from Maze engine (2 offense, 1 defense, 3 rings - so really isn't bad). From reading this, it sounds like I should make the switch over to the Harper Bard? Other active ones are energon, earth achron, and a couple of other throw away ones.
  • volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    How about the Dancing Shield for Prot OP?
  • thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    > @volkihar#6493 said:
    > How about the Dancing Shield for Prot OP?

The dancing shield is more popular with Guardian Fighters. Pally's don't need to stack defense. The shield has 3 defense runeslots. Most people run companions with more offense runeslots on a pally. I find the Con Artist, with 2 offense and 1 defense is a good compromise.

How about the Dancing Shield for Prot OP?

Good for Dev on single target for additional debuff (if there's no other Dancing Shield in party), but not for Prot. Since Dev damage on single target isn't that great, changing to Dancing Shield can on boss fight can be better for the team, depending on the group.
  • mazdaguy80#8291 mazdaguy80 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    As a Devo Pally, I currently run: 3 archons at Epic (Air, Earth and Fire), an Energon at Leg, and my summoned is an Epic Lillend. I dunno why she is so overlooked, no one mentions her in this thread... 3 rings slots and 3 offense slots... it's so difficult to pass on this. I guess it might be because she doesn't have debuffing capabilites like Sellswords/ConArtists.... or perhaps it's because she used to NOT proc Protector's Camraderie/Friendship, but I believe that's been fixed... I used to use a Fire Archon as my summon, but I switched it to Lillend because get a good Talisman has been impossible....

Are there any other companions with 3 offensive runeslots, and easy to obtain gear (rings mostly) slots. I don't consider the following easy (cheap) to obtain: Sword Knots, Icon, Grimoire, Talisman, Waist and Neck.

I also have a Repentant Dragon Cultist at Epic, but not sure what to swap out with it. It's active is like a reverse Fire Archon's active, and has a summoned debuffing ability similar to SS/CA (although it's single target)...
  • volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User

> @volkihar#6493 said:

The dancing shield is more popular with Guardian Fighters. Pally's don't need to stack defense. The shield has 3 defense runeslots. Most people run companions with more offense runeslots on a pally. I find the Con Artist, with 2 offense and 1 defense is a good compromise.

I'm trying to avoid using Con-artist, Sellsword, etc 'cause almost all my toons have one, i'm looking for Harper Bard or some other debuff companion. I feel that some day the stacks on con artist gonna be nerfed. So 'cause i won a Dancing shield and my defense is less than 8k probably it would be a good alternative.
  • thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User

> @volkihar#6493 said:

I'm trying to avoid using Con-artist, Sellsword, etc 'cause almost all my toons have one, i'm looking for Harper Bard or some other debuff companion. I feel that some day the stacks on con artist gonna be nerfed. So 'cause i won a Dancing shield and my defense is less than 8k probably it would be a good alternative.

My base defense is only about 8k as well. My bonding gets it up around 16k or 57% or so. I find that is plenty when I add on 10% for being Protection, 10% from divine call, and 25% for CoP.
  • veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User

and my summoned is an Epic Lillend. I dunno why she is so overlooked, no one mentions her in this thread... 3 rings slots and 3 offense slots... it's so difficult to pass on this. I guess it might be because she doesn't have debuffing capabilites like Sellswords/ConArtists.... or perhaps it's because she used to NOT proc Protector's Camraderie/Friendship, but I believe that's been fixed.

I tested how this fires just to make sure it works like I thought it did, and my thoughts were confirmed. The lillend is a great healing companion, it does that very well. It attacks from a range, which can be weird if you are not used to that, which also makes things like Hati in FBI a little more difficult. The main problem with the lillend is that there is only 1 single attack skill. Audio drain. What this means is that Protectors (C/F) will not fire consistently nor will they stay stacked. The lillend does not attack often enough with audio drain in combat to actually keep you at 4 stacks. It also doesn't seem to stack them very quickly from my initial test.

Is 3 ring slots good? Yes. Is 3 offense slots good? Yes. Is the active bonus good? Yes. Does the one drawback of the lillend make it a bad summoned companion to use? In my opinion, yes. I have one in an active slot, but I won't summon it for dungeons, it simply isn't consistent in my testing, and it doesn't debuff. To me that's a dealbreaker, although that's just how I play.

Can someone clarify something while we are here? Do underdark rings proc inside of the companion buffing the stats you get massively? For example if a brutality ring procs inside of a companion will that buff their power by 4000, and what % of that is shared? Do I get that buff on me? Does the companion get that buff? Do rising rings work, but sudden do not? I was always unclear on the underdark ring interactions inside of companions, and still am. If there is a thread from a theorycrafter on this, that would be great. I didn't see one when I looked.
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I have a Lillend and gave it a fair try for a couple of weeks - I found that not only is the proc rate slow but it also takes too long to do the first proc so I switched it out.

All underdark rings have been disabled on companions, I'm not sure if the companion itself benefits but it doesn't share even if it does.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox