test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning to NW after a long break and can't get into the newer areas.

ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Ok whats with the locking of the newer areas? I am Levle 70 and had what was at the time when I took a long break the best gear for my class. It seems all my old gear is garbage now and I can't get into the newer areas or even do the quests needed to unlock the new areas. Getting one shot killed by NPC's in just the entry area is getting tired. Are they behind a pay wall or something? The last time I played was when the new Paladin class was brought out. I'm not in a guild the one I was in disbanded so are the new areas guild only? Tips would be welcomed as to what I need to do to explore these newer areas.

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Have you spoken to Sgt. Knox?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It would help if you could give some more details. What class, what weapons, what armor, etc... It sounds like you left in mod 6, so you have Elemental Fire weapons and Elvish armor? That level of gear is outdated but still useable.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

No I'll go check that out. TY.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    join a guild ... period
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    pitshade said:

It would help if you could give some more details. What class, what weapons, what armor, etc... It sounds like you left in mod 6, so you have Elemental Fire weapons and Elvish armor? That level of gear is outdated but still useable.

Im still using elemental weapons/shield and I do fine also :)
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    I don't quite get this. I mean, if you had been a level 60, with level 60 gear like the High Vizier set, then yes, getting one-shotted would be normal, but a level 70 with (presumably) old level 70 gear should still be perfectly viable - not strong enough for the hardest content, like FBI, mSVA or mSP, but you haven't unlocked that anyhow.....the actual areas should be just fine - Sharandar, Dread Ring, IWD and Underdark, for example.

There are no paywalls, and while guilds open up new content and guild boons give you a nice boost, they are not a dealbreaker.

What is your IL, and your weapons/armor ?

I had this happen to one of my older chars that I had not played for over a year - turned out there had been a forced feat respec, so he had no feats selected whatsoever.

Check your feats, powers and boons.
    Hoping for improvements...
    adinosii said:

I don't quite get this. I mean, if you had been a level 60, with level 60 gear like the High Vizier set, then yes, getting one-shotted would be normal, but a level 70 with (presumably) old level 70 gear should still be perfectly viable - not strong enough for the hardest content, like FBI, mSVA or mSP, but you haven't unlocked that anyhow.....the actual areas should be just fine - Sharandar, Dread Ring, IWD and Underdark, for example.

There are no paywalls, and while guilds open up new content and guild boons give you a nice boost, they are not a dealbreaker.

What is your IL, and your weapons/armor ?

I had this happen to one of my older chars that I had not played for over a year - turned out there had been a forced feat respec, so he had no feats selected whatsoever.

Check your feats, powers and boons.

Thats exactly what was going on. Thank you for that tip.
    kreatyve said:

Thank you again I did and can now get into the new (to me anyway) areas.
  • ka0000ka0000 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I was off due to Chemo what happened to the free Astral Diamonds ???
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    ka0000 said:

I was off due to Chemo what happened to the free Astral Diamonds ???

They did way with AD from invoke a couple of mods ago/// now you get an AD bonus that ads 500 - 1000 to any rough AD you earn, from salvage, dungeons, etc.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,144 Arc User
    It adds 50% of the amount you normally get so long as you have enough boost to cover it. Otherwise you get what the boost can cover and deplete your boost.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    greywynd said:

It adds 50% of the amount you normally get so long as you have enough boost to cover it. Otherwise you get what the boost can cover and deplete your boost.

Note that this is a net benefit for characters that get played in a normal way, but removes the free AD source for having characters that you only invoke on and don't really play.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Note that this is a net benefit for characters that get played in a normal way

If your definition of "normal" is "character runs their allotment of dungeons and skirmishes daily and gets both RAD and salvage" that way.

If "normal" for you is "group content is not really my bag and I just run around by myself doing quests and other random solo stuff", then you basically just waste it all because you don't deserve to make any AD according to Cryptic's model. You can earn way more invoke bonus in a week than gets used up with the few solo quests that actually pay in AD.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • johonxgaltjohonxgalt Member Posts: 93 Arc User

Note that this is a net benefit for characters that get played in a normal way

If your definition of "normal" is "character runs their allotment of dungeons and skirmishes daily and gets both RAD and salvage" that way.

If "normal" for you is "group content is not really my bag and I just run around by myself doing quests and other random solo stuff", then you basically just waste it all because you don't deserve to make any AD according to Cryptic's model. You can earn way more invoke bonus in a week than gets used up with the few solo quests that actually pay in AD.

Demonic Heroic encounters in Dread Ring and Well of Dragons (possibly in SH as well but not tested) give out plenty of salvage rings for AD. No group needed and the events come up pretty quick.

There are sources for solo players to get AD, just not as many.