test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Inconsistent Damage (still)

derangedminionderangedminion Member Posts: 16 Arc User
My 3.9 TR is having issues with damage being inconsistent. My at-wills normally crit for 25k to 30k, lashing blade for 290k to 350k, and dazing strike for about 100k to 180k.

The last two mods, more in the latest mod than before, my powers will randomly drop in damage output. My at-wills will go down to 9k, lashing blade down to 50k, and dazing down to sub 30k. All crits.

The timing is random, and I'm unable to determine a trigger for it happening. I've also been getting group members with high IL characters (a 3.5 GWF had a 5k battle strike and a 3.7 CW with sub 20k desintegrate).

None of us can determine a trigger because it happens randomly in all different types of zones and against all different types of enemies.

Comments

• spelldazerspelldazer Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Yes! Same here. I thought I was being silly. It is insanely hard to reproduce and it happens at the worst times... Turtle in FBI comes to mind.

FWIW, a friend suggested it might be down to underdark rings and insignia bonuses all going on cooldown at once, but I find that unlikely. I should still see some buffs from support characters.
  • mcgwarfacemcgwarface Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    Have to do with companion dying or buffs possibly? Do any enemies debuff us?
  • derangedminionderangedminion Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    No, I'll check my stats and still have my 60k power from bonding stones up. I cannot figure out what causes it, but it doesn't seem to be linked to buffs falling off.
    Also, I don't use underdark rings at all so my stats don't generally fluctuate in combat.
  • negadavnegadav Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I have a 3.8k IL GWF that is doing less damage than a 2.6k IL GWF. I have respec'd to one of the highest DPS GWF builds in the game and also adjusted companions and stones to different combinations. I then also took off the additional 4000 Armor Pen from the Axe beak and replaced it with 2000 Power from a different mount. So my power stat is at roughly 34k with 13k Crit and almost 7k Arm Pen. that stay relatively steady until Underdark rings proc. But I still am only doing about half the damage that I should be doing based on other character comparisons from running dungeons together. I am about to abandon this character for another because of the huge drop in damage. My hope is that a fix can be found as I believe my character is bugged. After reading the other posts, it sounds as though mine isn't the only one. Is it possible that any of the new content could be the cause of this, as I haven't noticed this before or at least it wasn't as noticeable as it is now. Please help, Thank you.
    I can't speak for the others, but I'll see my damage reach full potential, and then randomly hit like I'm only a 2k IL. Then it well go back to full damage after a few minutes, and drop back down. I cannot figure out why, but I should never be hitting for 45 to 50k from stealth on a lashing blade attack. It's my hardest hitting ability and the bonus crit severity and power from stealthing means I should be near 120k power for the attack from stealth.

45k should be impossible with that much power.
    I wonder...could it be down to some of the new gear getting bugged? I started using the lifesilk spinneret. Maybe it's not just the visuals that are glitched? Whatever the cause, it is terribly annoying.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    this happens at times with my hr as well

I wonder...could it be down to some of the new gear getting bugged? I started using the lifesilk spinneret. Maybe it's not just the visuals that are glitched? Whatever the cause, it is terribly annoying.

I've been having this problem for the last 6 months or so. well before the new gear dropped. it feels like sometimes bondings aren't really there even though they say they are or something is bugging somewhere in my build and not counting a great deal of my stats.
    Yes. It feels like the character is suddenly stripped of all buffs and left to die, lol.

Wasn't there once an issue if bondings were all the same or not the same...or something like that?
  • cscriv79cscriv79 Member Posts: 398 Arc User

Yes! Same here. I thought I was being silly. It is insanely hard to reproduce and it happens at the worst times... Turtle in FBI comes to mind.

FWIW, a friend suggested it might be down to underdark rings and insignia bonuses all going on cooldown at once, but I find that unlikely. I should still see some buffs from support characters.

just FYI: Mod 11 stopped underdark rings proccing on companions.

I am neither here nor there, for I am NevrCene

NevrCene: TR
    Melisandre: SW
    Brienne: GWF

Guild : Mystic Dawn (GH20)
    As mentioned earlier, our pets don't have underdark rings. Even if they did, the update wouldn't lead to inconsistent damage. No proc would be constant no buff. My gut says bondings and/or insignia bonuses are the likely culprits (and most likely common denominator for all who responded so far).
    edited May 2017
    @spelldazer the thing I've noticed is that it seems to happen for me after I've been switching enchants around between toons or between toon and companion. I've wondered if moving things around sometimes doesn't register in the big picture. it doesn't last forever but it can last a week or two. In the past with me it's gone like this. hmmm I think I want to play on my dc for a week. move enchants over to dc. ok bored with that move em back to hr. wow now hr is hitting the same as a 3k hr instead of 4k hr hamsters? or randomly after some sort of respec it migth happen (and I know the builds i'm working with none of the builds I do should cause a huge hit) I've almost given up my hr a few times because of it but then he starts hitting normally again. there IS a bug in there somewhere I'm sure of it. for me at least it's not something that happens after I switch around insignias. I've been wondering if there is a specific piece of gear that is bugged. I haven't had it happen (knock on wood) since I changed out my head and armor pieces. for elementalized pieces I had going this winter.

(to head people off, yeah if you're a habitual respeccer it's easy to leave some silly thing slotted that drastically harms your dps, but the longest thats gone unnoticed by me is a few hours of game play, a very embarrassing few hours of game play.. lol. and only that long because I'll play a game or two think hamster log off and forget about it in the intervening hours play another few things and think hamster then look at feats and powers. when this is happening everything will be normal)
    A. There is definitely a bug or a bugged interaction.
    B. I can't rule out the improperly slotted gear/enchant thing but I very rarely change gear or enchants, and I think if that weas the culprit, the under performance would be constant, or at least pervasive.
    C. I think I've managed to narrow it down to a few recurring factors. Happens right after a high dps spike. Possibly after gaining a lot of AP as a reault of this dps burst and/or using dc sigil. This is one reason I suspected the insignia bonuses, as they give me a huge recovery burst and on my TR I can or rather could loop power boosts to go from 30k to 200k in a few seconds. I've now switched gear, artis and enchants so if the bug was a result of the above things, it should go away. Fingers crossed. If it's the AP thing, kinda like the gwf determination bug, then it'll still be there and I'll continue to test.

We should all try and capture the bug on video so we can show what it looks like. Tricky but let's try.
    there might be more than one thing going on. more than one bug. I really have never seen anything like what you're describing personally that I've noticed that I cannot ascribe to something else. ap bursts never seem to be associated with a drop in damage for me. (like slotting a pet with no bondings by accident) I believe you.. but I don't share your problem. I have a different one. mine is much more intermittent I think from what you're describing. It's been about 3 weeks since I last saw it.

I think there might very well be more than one bugged interaction.
    More than one bug? Nah... ;-)
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I have been meaning to test this as well. It's a bit hard to see in the middle of combat with buffs and all the other interactions going on, but I too have noticed my normal mob greeting, dazing strike, unbuffed at the start of a battle will normally crit for 30-60K but sometimes hits for a small 4 digit number, like 6-7K. I think that is mathematically not possible, but I could be wrong too.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
    My first impression when this started happening was that the hit wasn't registering and what I was seeing was the Lostmauth bonus damage.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    That actually makes a lot of sense, I was wearing lostmauth set as well....maybe the hit was not displayed on the screen, like a display glitch... it so hard to check this stuff on console with no tools....
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
    consoles are the red headed step child. lol. I"d kill for some actual data tools.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    There's a possibility it's caused by lag, I've noticed that often when lag hits me my outgoing damage seems to drop. It doesn't affect incoming damage of course...

If it's caused by companion gear changes, a workaround would be to dismiss/summon after the change?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    yeah the lag thing seems real. and that might be what my problem is when it hits. lag can be hard to see in this game. I've noticed where you can really see it is on the gauntlet traps. the swinging thingies.
    I haven't respeccd in probably 3 months and almost never move enchants. I do lose a lot of damage to lag spikes, like entire duelist flurry where only 2 hits count, but in my case I'm seeing lashing blades hit for less than half of their normal range. I didn't think Lostmouth added more than a few thousand on a hit.
  • muckingfuppetmuckingfuppet Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I get the exact same bug, I can run fbi all night with the same group, one run I'm getting 10 to 12 mill ibs on my gwf the next run I'm lucky if I'm hitting 2 mill ibs, same group same buffs it's been like this since mod 8 for me, I get 2.8k cw and 3k hr beat me in fbi by 100 mill then next run I will beat them by 200 mill and I'm 4.3k
  • diesalkilla02#5142 diesalkilla02 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    To all those wanting to see it in action can go to my profile gt: xXDiesalXx 3.8 GWF removed companion and any sudden rings to get a consistent number it's happening with all the new weopons more so with those obtained from river district. Video is me standing at strong hold dummies. Swings of Sure strike doing "0" dmg only hitting 2 of 4 swings sometimes 1 of 4. IBS for "0" dmg and only get combat advantage dmg. Definately something is broke in these lastest updates for new mod.
  • diesalkilla02#5142 diesalkilla02 Member Posts: 10 Arc User

A. There is definitely a bug or a bugged interaction.

B. I can't rule out the improperly slotted gear/enchant thing but I very rarely change gear or enchants, and I think if that weas the culprit, the under performance would be constant, or at least pervasive.

C. I think I've managed to narrow it down to a few recurring factors. Happens right after a high dps spike. Possibly after gaining a lot of AP as a reault of this dps burst and/or using dc sigil. This is one reason I suspected the insignia bonuses, as they give me a huge recovery burst and on my TR I can or rather could loop power boosts to go from 30k to 200k in a few seconds. I've now switched gear, artis and enchants so if the bug was a result of the above things, it should go away. Fingers crossed. If it's the AP thing, kinda like the gwf determination bug, then it'll still be there and I'll continue to test.

We should all try and capture the bug on video so we can show what it looks like. Tricky but let's try.

I've made a video of it happening on my gwf. One of the videos testing on the strong hold dummies and another where i see 90% combat advantage numbers only if you want to check it out gt: xXDiesalXx
    Just saw the vid and YOU NAILED IT!!! That is definitely the bug. Happens to my TR on Duelist Flurry so it's a lot harder to see but I will try to repro on the dummies and catch it in vid too. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
  • hotlafi#4843 hotlafi Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Has been happening to my 4k SW as well. I recorded a clip so that my friends would believe me. My fiery bolt hit trash mobs in CN from 4k to 40k damage. I haven't changed anything as far as spec or gear and this has been going on now for just over a month. My SW is my main and I use him sparingly now.
  • gerverpandagerverpanda Member Posts: 28 Arc User

Has been happening to my 4k SW as well. I recorded a clip so that my friends would believe me. My fiery bolt hit trash mobs in CN from 4k to 40k damage. I haven't changed anything as far as spec or gear and this has been going on now for just over a month. My SW is my main and I use him sparingly now.

Do you by chance run Dark Revelry or any feats from tempt tree? I had the problem, and respecting out of DR fixed it. Every time dr kicked in, my dmg would go down to base dmg. It would not count any buffs or even companion gifts. After I fixed it I stopped playing around w my feats, so cant tell for sure is dr, but might be related to the problem.
  • hotlafi#4843 hotlafi Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Hmm...I don't run DR but maybe respecc'ing might fix it? It's worth a shot I guess. Thanks.