test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Australian player with connection difficulties at night.

Hey all,

First off love the game, as a long time D&D player, since Pools of Radiance on the C64, i love almost everything about the game.

However, i'm having a lot of problem conecting during 6pm and 10pm Roughly on a daily basis, and i'm wondering if its a common problem in my corner of the world or just an issue for me.

Note: these problems only happen during these hours.

What tends to happen is this:

1. Can't login....server timeout
2. Can login, but on reaching the character selection screen and selecting a character, it starts to load, then drops back to main login screen with "connection to server timed out.
3. Get to the mail screen, but the "PLAY" button is greyed out....reload and it's back and follows as above.
4. Can connect, can select a character, play for a bit, then try to change character, get dropped back to the main login screen again.

I've checked my connection to the net, no issues....
I've checked my speed connection trace to the US, no issues

I'm at a loss to explain it, it could be my provider dropping packets, but that would be impossible to confirm, at least for my limited knowledge, and that wouldn't explain the timing.
The only thing that does, is that this time in Australia, seems to coincide with the daily reset, as in when rewards are sent out, and perhaps everyone is getting on to get their dailies, this would seem to suck for me and us down here.
Plus, i've done some checking and it seems i'm not the only one with this kind of issue down under.
It should also be noted that i had the same issue with STO.

So, i'm asking if it's more wide spread and if there's any way to deal with it or weather i should just no bother trying to play dueing these times, along with the rest of OZ??

Comments

• Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Which time-zone in Australia? (If I'm not mistaken, there are several just like in the US?)
  • Options
    mistique65#2342 mistique65 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    K,

Should have added that, Brisbane is on the ease coast of Australia, and is 14-16 hrs ahead of the US east and west Coasts, not sure which is which but i'm thinking east 14 west 16?

Did a time track and 6pm in Brisbane is 4am in New York.
  • Options
    tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Here in VIC (AEST) I have pretty much the same issue.

Game is normal all day, gets dodgy after 7pm as it heads toward 8pm and at that point becomes extremely difficult to run characters with various issues occurring. This continues until about 11pm when it returns to normal.

The issue seems mainly to be with the Character Server as connecting to everything prior is usually okay. With multiple restarts, if I log in with a character and don't log out or try to change characters it will most of the time run completely fine.

This never used to occur and has only been happening for about 2-3 months.

I'll add that no other game I have tested is affected during this time, Overwatch for example.

• Options
    Rubberbanding started about 5:30 pm last night and was dropped 15-20 min later after numerous "server not responding" errors.
    That's 3:30 am NY
    Going to keep a note on it for the Dev's, unless told otherwise.

Shame really.
  • Options
    heaney74heaney74 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I'm in NSW and have problems too. Havnt kept track of times. But do get a lot of lag sometimes. Disconnected few times aday
  • Options
    Havn't been on the last few nights, bad flu, tonight though it's back to the usual
    Get to the "Play" connection, then get dropped due to time out on connection to the account server to retrieve character list.

7:30pm Brisbane
    5:45am NY
  • Options
    For a game celebrating 15 million player it's not very good
    Wondering how many are actually active....
  • Options
    iccyasdiccyasd Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    I have similar issue previously but im from Malaysia (GMT+8), it happens after 7pm-12am my time but maybe not as bad as you, for my issue it has something to do with ISP changing port routing due to congestion or heavy traffic in the area. I have about 10-21% packet lost to XBL server back in the days, but its fixed by my ISP support for now its 0% packet lost.

There are few steps you can do to get your ISP to help you on the issue, start with using LAN cable, try changing to google DNS on your xbox 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 , ping various site like google.com -t / arcgames.com -t on your PC before & after the change so you could probably see an increase of ping or maybe some request timeout? , go to settings on your Xbox One > Network > detailed network statistic see if you have any packet lost run it like 5 times after 6pm your time or when issue happens, take a picture/screen capture on all the result then submit them to your ISP support.

As you know this issue happen to most PWE games, it might be because PWE still had to authenticate with XBL unlike on PC we connect directly to PWE, so if there is some connection issue like bad routing might cause disconnection on our client. Even now i get "Connection to server timeout" 1-2 times while switching character or "Account cannot established" in about 2hours of gameplay daily. This is just my theory, correct me if im wrong :P
    Main - IccyAsd Lvl70 (GF 4249)
    Alt - Freaya Lvl70 (CW 33XX)
    Alt - Demonic Iccy Lvl70 (TR 27XX)
    Guild - Windows Central (GH14)
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Update to say I'm following up on this!
  • Options
    iccyasd said:

I have similar issue previously but im from Malaysia (GMT+8), it happens after 7pm-12am my time but maybe not as bad as you, for my issue it has something to do with ISP changing port routing due to congestion or heavy traffic in the area. I have about 10-21% packet lost to XBL server back in the days, but its fixed by my ISP support for now its 0% packet lost.

There are few steps you can do to get your ISP to help you on the issue, start with using LAN cable, try changing to google DNS on your xbox 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 , ping various site like google.com -t / arcgames.com -t on your PC before & after the change so you could probably see an increase of ping or maybe some request timeout? , go to settings on your Xbox One > Network > detailed network statistic see if you have any packet lost run it like 5 times after 6pm your time or when issue happens, take a picture/screen capture on all the result then submit them to your ISP support.

As you know this issue happen to most PWE games, it might be because PWE still had to authenticate with XBL unlike on PC we connect directly to PWE, so if there is some connection issue like bad routing might cause disconnection on our client. Even now i get "Connection to server timeout" 1-2 times while switching character or "Account cannot established" in about 2hours of gameplay daily. This is just my theory, correct me if im wrong :P

Thanks for the info, i'll see if it makes a difference.

Cheers
  • Options

Update to say I'm following up on this!

Thanks!!
  • Options
    tayshustayshus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hi, i have been experiencing the same issue for the last 14 months except the timeframe i cannot log in is getting longer every day. Today it started giving me server not responding errors at 1645 hours and i still cannot log in and it is currently 2000 hours. I have submitted tickets to support previously and have been told to ask the forums. Im slightly confused to be honest.
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    Not as serious in terms of technical issues, but I'm in the Uk, and as soon as it hits 7 or 8pm the lag sets in.Never have an issue joining the game, but lag is starting to HAMSTER me right off.
    There's always been some lag issues but recently (past three or four weeks) its become a real PITA.

Control Wizard in River District normally perfectly capable of taking care of business is rubber banding all over the place, with powers missing or not firing at all and dodging seems to be at the whim of the Gods.
    And that bloody stag ride... cursed the TV so bad last night that the dog hid under the table.
  • Options
    ramzi71ramzi71 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    it lag start gradually, till it reaches unplayable, after day reset and stay for 12 hours. Middle east around day reset around 1 pm
  • Options
    Seems like it's nothing to do on our ends then, or very little, seems to be server over load, if it's happening at the same time it has to be the servers not bring able to cope and the further away from the servers physical location the worse it affects you. pitty really.
    Right now at 7:57pm 5:78 am NY, I've spent the last 15 min watching my toon stagger about 50 feet in game and lost server connection for 1-2 min, havn't dropped out yet because i'm not making any inputs, but i'm guessing it won't take much....
  • Options
    2.30pm Uk time that's... whatever it is in the morning in the states.
    River District, Well of Dragons and Stronghold felt like I was a cork in the wake of a jet ski. Bouncing about all over the place.
    Illusionists Gambit thoroughly unplayable.

Playing a CW, I need to be outside those six overlapping big red circles when that's where I go stand. Not right in the bloody middle of them like it turns out I am cos of sodding LAG.

I really, really, like this game, but dammit I do need to be able to play the damned ting in order to enjoy it.
  • Options
    It's occasionally getting worse here with connection issues setting in as early as 6pm AEST.

It still clears at around 11pm, about 3 hours after the server reset but it is very irritating to deal with on a daily basis.

Yesterday after severe lag glitched my CW half into, then back out of the floor, I had the equivalent of God mode. None of my powers had any effects but would still have CDs and neither I nor the enemies could damage one another.

Logging out and back in fixed the issue.
  • Options
    What i find the most interesting is logging in and getting the "no shards available" message, then closing the game and reloading and miraculously there now is, still cant get in but there's now shards available....

like tonight, almost 10pm here, about 8am US and still cant get in.
  • Options
    So far achieved the square root of bugger all this morning.

Like an idiot, I decided to do the River District weekly first...
    HA!
    That stag ride is annoying enough, but Goddamit... I nearly threw a shoe at the TV about an hour ago.

Now... OK its a Bank Holiday today in the UK, and of course the rain it lashing it down, so the whole population is indoors right now stuck for something to do.

It would appear that they have all recently bought XB One and are all playing Neverwinter at the same time...

"Oh... but if everyone's inside on a rainy day, that's probably your home internet connection speed at fault" you might think.

Well, my kids are both upstairs streaming movies, and between attempts to play NW I've watched three episodes of Twin Peaks this morning with not even a hint of pixelation.

When I close my eyes I just see "SERVER NOT RESPONDING' in red burned into my eyelids with impossibly fast numbers trying to tell me how badly its not responding...
  • Options
    ollybongo89#3420 ollybongo89 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Hello im a daily player and for the past 2 days its been pretty laggy, in the uk also, it took 12 attempts to take down orcus as timing is crucial being a tank.
    Today is no better if i put or take stuff from my bank or even move stuff in my inventory it takes est 5sec for it to happen, pls sort the servers out so we can have a good game, thanks
  • Options
    Ok, today at 8:50pm AEST the game disconnected and so far cannot connect to the account server at all. I'm not usually attempting to play at this time so at ~11pm I'll update with whether I can connect or not.
  • Options
    Update

Recently moved to a new suburb, went from Broadband to nbn, which for those that don;t know from phone line to cable/ fiber, thought i'd see a bit better performance, but no, things still go bad at the same time.

So, so far, no improvement.

Disappointed.
  • Options
    andyufcfanandyufcfan Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    I live south of Wollongong in NSW and I never have issues at certain times. The occasional disconnect from server is about it these days but can pretty much go all night. When you checked it what was the download speed of your connection?
  • Options
    the lag is from the server side.
    the bandwidth reserved for neverwiter in lag and non lag time is the same 14-16 KB/s
    it is disappointing with this lag. POE are doing a better job and it is free to play and i m able to play normally all time
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    ramzi71 said:

POE are doing a better job and it is free to play and i m able to play normally all time

POE, while a good game and an online RPG, is not an MMO or available on consoles (this is the Xbox forum). Can't really compare the two.
  • Options
    zephyriah said:

ramzi71 said:

POE are doing a better job and it is free to play and i m able to play normally all time

POE, while a good game and an online RPG, is not an MMO or available on consoles (this is the Xbox forum). Can't really compare the two.
    Agreed
    but from technical point of view you can compare since a non MMO RPG like POE has deployed more then 10 server nodes around the world.
  • Options
    heaney74heaney74 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Try using a cat-6 cable not the older cat-5. I was using adsl2 wireless. Got one yesterday and have noticed a difference in loading screens, crafting, mail and game play. Not 100% perfect but game fills more smoother