What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upgrading companions

2»

Comments

• Options
    markeen#2032 markeen Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Doing dailies, skirmishes and dungeons on just 1 toon is draining enough. On multiple toons is even worse (I have 6). I don't agree with having to use as much AD to upgrade companions and tokens just take too long to get and usually require spending real money. I do wish tokens could be account bound though. I made my first companion Legendary a couple weeks ago. I've been playing since the game launched on PS4.
    The real issue is time. There just isn't enough time. This game goes from being fun to being a job just to stay current with content. Suggesting someone is lazy because they can't put in 8 hours a day playing is kind of ironic. I read in previous comments someone suggesting using gold. Though I don't think dropping AD and just using gold is the best idea. I do think that making gold more useful would be a great idea. Maybe lowering the AD cost and adding Gold as part of upgrading would be a good idea.
    Founder of Knights of Ra guild in Neverwinter PS4. Founder of The Arashikage Clan in Defiance, formally of PlayStation Home.
  • Options
    trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    @areus when something costs $0 it's "free" as in not costing money.

The values are stupidly high and need to be reduced in line with the paltry return for a dungeon run. Not everybody can spend hours on this game.

If players essentially only run dungeons and choose to deal with the return values they get that is their choice and their own doing, essentially those players can't really fault the game because they opt out of the other aspects that give much higher value returns much more often. Just because players "only" like dungeons doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the game should suffer.

Not everybody can spend hours on this game.

not everybody can afford the high amounts of real money required for the amount of zen on the PS store. The 500 and 1000 zen amounts, basically get you nothing.

This is a F2P MMO, MMO's take time to progress, Neverwinter happens to have "shortcuts" available for purchase with real money (Zen) and or converted from AD to Zen, conversion takes longer in regard to time but costs nothing in regard to money. Those that play less, respectively progress less. Those that don't spend real money cans still get the same things others that do spend money get though it takes longer (those that spend money are directly supporting the game that others play for free). Really hope that people would quit with the "players can't afford this or that" arguments, if players are in a position to play Neverwinter on a console in their home they are in a position to earn/save some money here and there to purchase Zen if they want.

Some players are essentially taking the option of buying Zen and forcing into being seen as mandatory for progress even though it essentially speeds up the process, some even go further into not wanting to buy Zen OR earning the AD in game to get the things they want yet complain LOL

there were a number of players that didn't abuse the AD from invoking so their AD shouldn't be reset.

Again the players that didn't abuse the system and or made AD other ways should not be reset, how is it fair for them to be set back just because others abused the system? That's not an "even playing ground" and makes no sense. When players were abusing the Stronghold to level up characters was everyone reset to level 1, no. When players abuse bugs (Fang Breaker Island, etc.) are all the rewards stripped from everyone when they are fixed? No.

There are people sitting on millions of AD which in turn makes the AH a joke. Have you seen the amounts being asked for various items? They are beyond the majority of players. Also, for sale on the AH, I have seen numerous 'players' have 6, 7 even 8 identical companions, I've never heard of. How did they get them so quickly?

So what if players have multiple high value items in the AH? Players buy and sell items ALL THE TIME so whose to say the players selling are the originators of said items? Some players buy Zen convert to AD and buy up items to resell, some do it essentially through AD earned in game, players save up for bigger purchases, etc. it's all part of the market.
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen
  • Options
    disposablehero#5903 disposablehero Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Anyone fretting over the cost of living should remember this: $20 is $20. Don't be afraid to show a bit of leg.
    Dungeon Interior Coordinator for WAR-BOUND. <i class="Italic"></i>

PS4 characters:
    Brie Liadon, Shotgun Wizard
    Disposable Hero, Kidney removal technician
    Valorous Cake, Armored pastry defender
    Ginger Christ needs no introductions
  • Options
    areus#3844 areus Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I give up. I'm sorry for starting this thread. It is quite clear that I'm wrong for even mentioning this. As far as I'm concerned the subject is closed. Many thanks to those that answered. :)
  • Options
    If "you" start a thread and or post in one expect others to respond to it whether they agree, disagree or are neutral (in regard to being constructive) especially when certain types of statements are made and or putting your own reason for something in place of the actual reason(s).

There are numerous "paths to progression" in Neverwinter therefore ignoring others that are achievable as well, isolating one or a few, trying to show them as being "difficult" AND wanting them to be made "easier" without looking at how they effect other aspects of the game is selfish. If the ripple effect does more harm than good or can tangibly be seen and or shown to do so a number of players won't support it.

The game is not responsible for how much time everyone can spend playing. If this game was centered around players that could only play a few hours (less than about 2) per session and or week (like 5-10) it wouldn't survive long because the players that have more time to play would pretty much have everything fairly quickly, those players becoming "bored", etc.

If players didn't compare apples and oranges as they do and or "stay in their lane" things would more than likely very well be different. Some players who seemingly play for lower amounts of time are comparing themselves to players who play 3-4+ times as much as they do and or to players that spend money on this game. "Casual" (low play time) and "hardcore" (more play time) are often VERY different in regard to progression (all else being equal).

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

• Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User

I give up. I'm sorry for starting this thread. It is quite clear that I'm wrong for even mentioning this. As far as I'm concerned the subject is closed. Many thanks to those that answered. :)

You aren't wrong - let me tell you how every thread here goes

OP makes a suggestion, or shares a frustration
    someone comes in and validates the suggestion or frustration
    someone comes in and offers a few suggestions
    someone makes a humorous comment
    someone says something about "pre-mod 6 this was better"
    Trinity shows up and tells everyone their opinions are invalid because if they just spent more/played more/ didn't want a free ride the game is cake
    Most people leave the thread
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    @ravenskya it's called debating, arguing points and offering constructive criticism.

Where was it stated from this end that anyone here opinions were invalid? Again please quote those statements, if you can't it would be appreciated if you would cease making those type of negative statements. As previously mentioned you can ignore any and all posts from this end though you choose not to then proceed to complain/make negative statements about them.

The assumptive behavior and exaggerations you often apply to arguments from this end (statements with supporting information) are not being seen as constructive. If the arguments of those on this end were simply opinions and or when the statements made from this end refute a statement(s) made by others had no supporting information it would be different but this is not the case.

The OP has made statements seemingly based on a limited perception and some of those statements are being argued against respectfully.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    - Really hope that people would quit with the "players can't afford this or that" arguments, if players are in a position to play Neverwinter on a console in their home they are in a position to earn/save some money here and there to purchase Zen if they want. (not if they are doing it on their parent's dime)

- It's funny that so many players seemingly want so many more things to possibly be free for them in addition to the game that is F2P from the start... (OP didn't say anything about free, he wanted additional routes for obtaining tokens to upgrade companions and made suggestions - you were the one accusing people of asking for things for free)

- The OP has made statements seemingly based on a limited perception (Here you go getting rude and accusatory again OP made a valid statement along with suggestions and was looking for feedback)
    -
    - putting your own reason for something in place of the actual reason(s). And... more insults

I just find you to be rude and insulting to people who come here to throw out ideas, or want to offer up suggestions. Most of what you babble is incoherent, insulting, and varies between "its a free game get over it" to "you don't know how to play"

see all of your exchanges in the dungeon key thread for plenty of examples of that attitude where you attempt to inform people that they are playing wrong.
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    damontar#5477 damontar Member Posts: 134 Arc User

lol, that last post is true but most people do not have the time todo all that on multiple different characters, IRL stuff tends to be more important right?

this is a true statement.. but non the less IF you have the time on a day all to yourself it is possible to grind all 7 toons through a simple cloak tower a few times each.. and let it sit and bank on it later.. treat it like a savings account for those "GATTA HAVE" moments.

I myself try to invoke on all 7 of mine all 6 times.. but this hardly ever happens i can get the 1st 4 or 5 in and thats about it other than my main.. BUT either way i still have time to send Salvageable stuff to my other toons to use up that BONUS ad and just rotate on which toon salavages.. so this is another way to build up your ad.
  • Options
    @ravenskya again you have the option to not respond to posts from this end yet you continue to respond to them, you will not be harmed by ignoring these posts.

Though the quoted statements do not state that players are wrong:

So adolescents/younger people can't do odd jobs around their neighborhood to earn money to spend on a game they like to play (wash cars, cut grass, allowance, etc.)? Again players aren't forced to buy Zen.

Was not referring to the OP was making reference to another thread(s) (inventory space)

Keyword, seemingly meaning the statement could be wrong.

Lockboxes are NOT the only way to get companions and in part is the reason that statement was made and as previously mentioned players buy and sell items/companions ALL the time. If a player thinks/feels that companions only come from lockboxes they indeed have a limited perception.

Dungeons are not the only way to gain AD to make purchases, even though a number of players predominantly/solely run dungeons and prefer not to utilize other available options does not negate that those options exist which from this end has been noted a number of times and is true.

Those are your opinions and not the truth, there's a difference, though you seemingly still present your opinions to others as truth or at least try to lead them to believe it. Until you find a statement(s) from this end explicitly stating that others are playing the game wrong instead of inferring/assuming that's what it means please don't try to make it seem that way.

If players seemingly overlook aspects of the game that are proven to help them progress and are informed of those aspects yet choose not to utilize them that is perfectly fine, it's their choice though those aspects do not disappear and are still available and can still be used as arguments against suggestions such as these.

• Options
    Hey Trinity, I have a question. You've mentioned "other ways" to make AD a few times but have yet to clarify. I'm assuming you're referring to something other than utilizing the Zen market, so care to explain yourself?

PS4 characters:
  • Options
    markeen#2032 markeen Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    I strongly dislike gaming elitest. Bottom line is, in order to get and stay current simply playing the game as intended is not enough. Unfortunately money has to be spent or you get left behind. Upgrading useful companions, finding better use for gold in game and simply expressing frustrations, opinions, suggestions are all fine and good. But don't make it seem like the players fault for not having entire days to sit on a game or hundreds of dollars to spend on a game. It's not. Now, I'm new on the forums but literally every thread I've read has the same user blaming the player and really not being helpful. Just shaming them. Which isn't helpful at all.
    Founder of Knights of Ra guild in Neverwinter PS4. Founder of The Arashikage Clan in Defiance, formally of PlayStation Home.
  • Options
    sonicblast#1799 sonicblast Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2017

Hey Trinity, I have a question. You've mentioned "other ways" to make AD a few times but have yet to clarify. I'm assuming you're referring to something other than utilizing the Zen market, so care to explain yourself?

One good way that I make AD is fishing in Somi. It still nets very decent AD for maps which just this past weekend I got over 200k in an hour. Hell, even running heriocs there can get you some AD if you get lucky to get certain drops.

You can play the market or watch the AH for prices on certain things. Charger horse pack for instance I managed to grab 3 for 75k each. I flipped them for 200k each. It's all about how you want to spend your time in this game.

I strongly dislike gaming elitest. Bottom line is, in order to get and stay current simply playing the game as intended is not enough. Unfortunately money has to be spent or you get left behind. Upgrading useful companions, finding better use for gold in game and simply expressing frustrations, opinions, suggestions are all fine and good. But don't make it seem like the players fault for not having entire days to sit on a game or hundreds of dollars to spend on a game. It's not. Now, I'm new on the forums but literally every thread I've read has the same user blaming the player and really not being helpful. Just shaming them. Which isn't helpful at all.

People make mistakes and quit games because of thoughts like that. You don't have to rush this game, it can be played at your pace. Nobody says you have to be 4k+ the first day. It's still tons of people that aren't even close and play this game for fun. Just log on and do what you want. Hell, I've been playing this game since launch and haven't yet gotten a legendary out of a lockbox. Yet, I see tons running around with them. It sucks, but it doesn't stop me from playing and enjoying the game.

Just play the game, don't worry about what other people are doing or how they act. Games are meant to be fun for entertainment.
  • Options

I have found that by just doing what I want to do, and treating the game as a game - I manage to avoid most of the elitists. I acquired a guild by accident and we decided to fill it only with people who are grown adults and understand that a game is a game. They play when they can and ask for help when they need it but no one is in a rush to 4K. I have 2 characters that could technically do FBI/MSVA but only one that's desirable in those dungeons. Last Night my Healadin got her Fey Shield, it's not restored yet but at least that's progress. If I was to get to 4K, I'd be bored and done with the game. As it is I happily plod along at my own rate and let the elitists sit at 4k running FBI over and over screaming about how those of us with jobs have no idea how to play the game.

Personally I love dungeons and I love loot. So in my limited time, I grab everyone's keys and invoke on them all. Then I pull out the healadin (who is getting the most love at the moment) I do her daily/weeklies in SKT because I'm sooo close to getting the boon I want. Then I do the river district daily. Then I join up with my friends and we run dungeons. Last night it was 2 CN and an eLoL before we had to pack it up and all go to bed.

I guess the moral of my ramblings is - If you aren't worried about being in the race for first place, you can hang out with all of the cool kids skipping along behind them.

• Options
    edited April 2017

The simple answer: No.

The long answer:

This more than likely won't be the answer/response sought.

The particular ways that those on this end generate AD is what helps them achieve the things they want in the game and sharing that information with others would result in less AD for them > more time spent by them to achieve the same amounts > less time doing other things in game. It would be a conflict of interest of sorts/protecting one's investments, there are other reasons as well but those will be held unless someone wants to know the basis of this position of not freely sharing. Pretty much anyone who has played Neverwinter and engaged in it's various aspects for a considerable amount of time can be familiar with AD, how to generate it, what way(s) provide AD more consistently, etc. A considerable amount of information is readily available on the internet in various forms though the missing elements tends to be lack of seeking it or lack of implementing the effort required.

Where has a post from this end explicitly shamed someone for not having more time/money to spend? Not looking for opinions of statements made.

It is proven that

"Casual" (low play time) and "hardcore" (more play time) are often VERY different in regard to progression (all else being equal).

Also what is your definition of gaming elitist @markeen? A number from this end have spent months helping strangers and Guild/Alliance members alike, showing them different ways to do a number of things even at the expense of not building up as many resources to upgrade stronghold structures, building up their own characters, etc. and have come to notice that some players share common "qualities". One of the bigger ones being seemingly not wanting to apply themselves hardly at all AND complaining about their lack of progress (both of those together). If players don't want to apply themselves that's one thing though if they complain about their lack of progress which is in part due to them not applying themselves it's something totally different (self inflicted).

The OP has already stated not all players spend hours/money on the game which is fine though when those players compare themselves to those that do they are forcefully inventing a disparity because the progress of the two are respectively different though the respective difference is often not acknowledged though when someone else does, it is ignored to seemingly preserve their opinion (not argument).

Some players profit off of companion sales and seemingly lowering the upgrade cost to fit players that don't play for that long at a time/spend money is being argued against in part because those that play/pay less more than likely won't progress as fast anyway so why should those that use the market to fund progression be penalized because players who play for less want cheaper companion upgrades?

People make mistakes and quit games because of thoughts like that. You don't have to rush this game, it can be played at your pace. Nobody says you have to be 4k+ the first day. It's still tons of people that aren't even close and play this game for fun. Just log on and do what you want.

^ Golden ^

• Options

There are a couple of ways that I am aware of:

They find something desirable but not too expensive in the AH. A good one to look up is superior marks. They go in and buy out everything below their selling price. These people are VIP rank 12 so they don't pay listing fees. They then relist them at their selling price to keep the item selling at a set amount.

I also know several people who specialize in professions. They make high end masterwork stuff. These people got together with the other people who were selling the same items and agreed to all sell at a specific price.

Others play the lock boxes. It cost 31,000 AD to buy a key (less if you have a coupon), if you buy 10 keys as long as you acquire enough things to sell for 310,000+ then you are making AD.

And still others play the AD/Zen Exchange. If the exchange is a 290 AD/100 Zen - they buy up as much Zen as possible, when the price goes back up to 310 AD/100 Zen then they sell. Making 20AD per zen each time the exchange occurs.

All of these things sound an awful lot like work to me so I don't actually participate in any of them.

• Options
    >The simple answer: No.

That's what I thought sweetheart, just wanted you to confirm. The rest of your post is tl;dr. Thanks to the rest of you for the legit responses, they help a lot.

PS4 characters:
  • Options

>The simple answer: No.

That's what I thought sweetheart, just wanted you to confirm. The rest of your post is tl;dr. Thanks to the rest of you for the legit responses, they help a lot.

Not everyone will regurgitate already posted info upon request or information that they themselves use to further their progress in-game and would rather not convey it to others which would undermine their progression.

Was still a legit response, just didn't provide you with a shortcut to the information you seek and you seemingly didn't like that it didn't. It happens quite frequently, some players do the work and others want to be given the blueprint to success.

• Options
    thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    You are quite the gunner.
  • Options
    > @trinity706#8838 said:
    > >The simple answer: No.
    >
    >
    >
    > That's what I thought sweetheart, just wanted you to confirm. The rest of your post is tl;dr. Thanks to the rest of you for the legit responses, they help a lot.
    >
    > Not everyone will regurgitate already posted info upon request or information that they themselves use to further their progress in-game and would rather not convey it to others which would undermine their progression.
    >
    > Was still a legit response, just didn't provide you with a shortcut to the information you seek and you seemingly didn't like that it didn't. It happens quite frequently, some players do the work and others want to be given the blueprint to success.

I already got the information that I wanted from you, thanks. Have a great day!

PS4 characters: