test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So You Really Want Balanced Classes?

safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
edited April 2017 in Player Feedback (PC)
Hmm. Balance. Let's see. You know, there's a reason why most parties in an mmorpg are built around a tank and healer. Tanks wear heavy armor and clerics or druids or whatever can heal you if you get wounded. Other classes mostly focus on doing damage. However, in real life, getting a sword or a mace whacked in your face (that rhymes) would kill you just as dead as a dagger in the back, an arrow in the eye, or a mage's fireball.

In order to make it so that classes must rely on each other, designers made it so that some classes do less damage than others. It's not realistic at all, but that's the way they decided to do it way back when. Anyway, the thing is, a rogue or a wizard (for example) is not gonna do well exploring dungeons on his or her own unless they are really powerful. Rogues wear leather and wizards wear cloth. They are squishy. One on one, a fighter would pound a thief or a mage into the dirt unless the thief or the mage was a lot more powerful than the fighter. It takes longer to cast a spell than swing a sword or bash you with a shield, sorry. Rogues might overcome equally powerful fighters if they can sneak up on the fighters' and backstab them through plate armor somehow. That's why rogues and mages hide behind paladins or fighters. Monsters are usually stupid, so they go for the most dangerous looking target first. Or the fighter insults their mother, so they get pissed off and attack him or her. Even though it would be smarter and easier to dig their nasty claws into the wizard's soft, pale flesh before he or she has time to cast a troublesome spell. (Which incidentally never harms anyone in their party for some reason.)

So, I could say more, I don't want to write a book. My point is that classes in MMORPGs should focus on being part of balanced teams, in pve or pvp. There's no need for classes to be balanced against each other individually. It's actually not realistic. As long one class is not a god or a demigod in comparison to the others, it's all good. In the hood.

Comments

• Options
    mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    When balance is suggested it's not the kind of balance to make everyone the same or take away any special snowflakes ..
    It's a utility balance in which every class is needed for something special that they can do that no one else can.
    I.E. A tank straps on a sword and board and starts the tank and spank
    Healers and buffers do Thier thing,and damage classes...yep you guessed it!
    Do damage
    The problem arises when one damage class does it better than another or A tank or healer is given insane dps
    That might make one person in a group setting more wanted than another and the less desirable has trouble finding a group.
    As a dps is a glass cannon insane damage but as you put it....squishy
    Now imagine a new dps class emerged...and did everything the squishy classes can do ...here's the twist! ...you ready for it....
    But imagine they weren't squishy!!!
    (I know!! Insane right!!)
    But let's just imagine there is ..
    So because they offer everything the squishies do but was armored like a tank and had much more survivability...
    Who would want the squishies now?
    Especially since the new guy offers so much more,and is much better looking to boot!
    Now the old squishies are outraged!!
    They scream BALANCE!! LET THERE BE EQUALITY!
    Now the peaceful world of neverwinter turns to chaos and anarchy!

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace, you
    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I just want the classes closer together so I can have peace instead of hearing nerf GWF crying 24/7. It is getting annoying, and it mostly comes from GFs who are a tank class that does the most damage out of everybody except GWF, but think GF is supposed to be top DPS. haha.

Yes, the GF Swordmaster Conqueror does enough damage I think. I have fun with mine. GWF trades lower armor class for increased DPS.

• Options
    edited April 2017

I am becoming convinced that there are no plans for balance. It seems to be about creating flavors of the month. They will nerf GWF and GF and buff 2 other classes out of this world so players switch to those classes, investing money to rebuild. That is the only explanation for letting the other classes wallow in muck for so long.

I don't know for sure what it's all about. I have 3.5+ GF, and I've played all the classes except cleric and warlock to 60 (been playing on and off for more than 2 1/2 years). I do have a DC and an SW though, just invoked them to 70 mostly. Invoked all but GF and OP to 70, with some help from Leadership in most cases. GF and OP I actually played through Elemental Evil. (Though my paladin had a lot of 2xp days right after module 6 was released. Only had to finish Drowned Shore that time.) From my experience, I can say that all the classes are fun and challenging in their own way. But I have no desire to have the best character in the game. Games are supposed to be about fun. Trying to be the best in anything is stressful. Be the best you can be, don't try to be better than other people, you will not succeed much of the time. Which leads to endless frustration. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Maybe whether or not you have BIS gear in a game is a life or death issue in your case. (I meant you has in people, not you personally.)

Anyway, I don't care whether this or that class is more powerful this month or this year or whatever. But I do want to be able to play a bard in Neverwinter. I think it would be fun. One of my favorite classes. Please can we have bard? That's all I'm asking. I want other people to get the classes they want to play too, like druid, monk, etc. Two years without a new class is too long.
    Post edited by safespacecadet#3341 on
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    I personally think the idea of true "balance" is a fallacy. In any game with distinction and different abilities, you will never have true balance. Once you make distinctions and differences, something will always be better at something when compared to another.

The only way to achieve perfect balance is if every player had the exact same abilities, because then the only thing which matters is the skill of the players. An example of this would be the only truly balanced fighting game in history: Street Fighter 1. You could only play as Ryu and Ken, who had the exact same abilities apart from palette swap. But, that got boring pretty quickly, since you were limited to the same basic attacks and the Dragon Punch + Fireball. Another example would be Rock-Paper-Scissors, which is balanced because all players have the exact same tools available to them, the difference being how you apply the tools.

So, will we ever get any balance?

Never, and I don't think we should try clamoring for "balance", as it ends up ruining the fun factor.

If we'e going to do any type of "balance", I want Modern Warfare 2 style "balance": everything is so good that you're never at a disadvantage for picking anything (well, you could argue that using the MW2 F2000 was disadvantageous...).

If everything is broken, then it means nobody is broken, right?

I am becoming convinced that there are no plans for balance. It seems to be about creating flavors of the month. They will nerf GWF and GF and buff 2 other classes out of this world so players switch to those classes, investing money to rebuild. That is the only explanation for letting the other classes wallow in muck for so long.

I believe League of Legends does this type of balance. The idea is to aquaint the playerbase with a gamebreaker so the gamebreaker shows up everywhere. Then, the gamebreaker is so prevalent that players get sick of losing to this gamebreaker, so the playerbase develops strategies to counter this gamebreaker.

Otherwise, it makes sense from a financial standpoint. And possibly explains why we have so much stuff that's BoC.

"You know that character you spent 8 months working on! Tossed in the gutter! Now pay up for another character to get back where you are 8 months later exe!"

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Guild Wars 1 did a much better job of class balancing. Melee classes up front with higher survivability, casters at the back did higher damage but needed the melee classes to guard them from enemies.

E.g. an Elementalist (CW) would target a meteor shower on a group of enemies who would then come running at the caster but the Warriors would block their path and engage them in direct combat. Two healers (one prot, one heal) would make sure everyone stayed on their feet.

Rangers could set multiple traps on the floor in anticipation of the rush and Necromancers could turn fallen enemies into minions who would add to the team damage/aggro.

This was a game where all roles were viable.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    Who cares aboout LoL or GW....i dont. You cant compare theese games to NW.

• Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I couldn't care less about "class balance" - however, I have two requirements:

Every class should be able to do well enough to complete all the solo content unaided.

Every class should be able to make a meaningful contribution in a group.

That's it - that's all that is needed. Now, problems arise for two reasons. First, because of PvP, because some people wanted the classes "balanced" for PvP purposes. For example, originally TRs did massive damage against a single target - fine for PvE purposes, and perfectly logical, but it worked "too well" in PvP and non-TR PvPers whined until the TR damage was toned way down. The problem was that the TR damage was not just toned down in PvP, but their PvE performance was affected as well.

The second issue was that many players felt that some classes/builds did too little damage - tanking-focused GFs and healing-focused DCs in particular, and their damage was boosted, narrowing the DPS gap between the classes. Was that fair, considering the other abilities of those classes? Well, there is no agreement on that issue.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    Well if I can risk the wrath of Spideymt another time, GW1 had a pve and pvp description for nearly all skills and they were updated regularly to keep them balanced.

• Options
    adinosii said:

The second issue was that many players felt that some classes/builds did too little damage - tanking-focused GFs and healing-focused DCs in particular, and their damage was boosted, narrowing the DPS gap between the classes. Was that fair, considering the other abilities of those classes? Well, there is no agreement on that issue.

On this point and speaking as a person who plays a lot of support - loadouts nullifies the need for boosting DPS on the DC and the GF. With these classes being able to run solo DPS builds and have a separate Support build, they didn't need the boost to personal DPS.

• Options
    mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    I think we should care about games like GW and WoW since they dominated the MMO genre for decades
    And still managed to maintain a fair balance between pvp and PVE
    They can def use other games to figure out why the balance is so out of whack here...
    Any up and coming business will use a successful enterprise as framework or model for their own
    It just makes business sense
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited April 2017

I think we should care about games like GW and WoW since they dominated the MMO genre for decades

They can def use other games to figure out why the balance is so out of whack here...

Any up and coming business will use a successful enterprise as framework or model for their own

PVE the classes seems rather balanced now to me...excpet TR...poor TRs

if something has to be blamed to right now, this is lightning enchant and bondings
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    adinosii said:

I couldn't care less about "class balance" - however, I have two requirements:

Every class should be able to do well enough to complete all the solo content unaided.

Every class should be able to make a meaningful contribution in a group.

That makes sense to me. But completing certain kinds of content than can be soloed depends on your IL. It's perfectly fine for quests in endgame campaign zones to encourage people to group up.
    adinosii said:

That's it - that's all that is needed. Now, problems arise for two reasons. First, because of PvP, because some people wanted the classes "balanced" for PvP purposes. For example, originally TRs did massive damage against a single target - fine for PvE purposes, and perfectly logical, but it worked "too well" in PvP and non-TR PvPers whined until the TR damage was toned way down. The problem was that the TR damage was not just toned down in PvP, but their PvE performance was affected as well.

Seems like classes should be designed for PVE in a game that is mostly PVE. People who play PVP should just figure out how to deal with it. But people are selfish and want everything their way. I would play PVP if it was queued by approximate Item Level. That's all I would need. Though I would play it a lot more if there was a pvp campaign with factions, including scenarios with goals besides just killing each for ten minutes for no reason. I could care less about the boons. Plenty of other boons to get. And they keep making more.

• Options
    armadeonx said:

Guild Wars 1 did a much better job of class balancing. Melee classes up front with higher survivability, casters at the back did higher damage but needed the melee classes to guard them from enemies.

E.g. an Elementalist (CW) would target a meteor shower on a group of enemies who would then come running at the caster but the Warriors would block their path and engage them in direct combat. Two healers (one prot, one heal) would make sure everyone stayed on their feet.

Rangers could set multiple traps on the floor in anticipation of the rush and Necromancers could turn fallen enemies into minions who would add to the team damage/aggro.

I understand what you're saying, but which class or role is currently not viable in Neverwinter?

• Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    edited April 2017

Now imagine a new dps class emerged...and did everything the squishy classes can do ...here's the twist! ...you ready for it....

So because they offer everything the squishies do but was armored like a tank and had much more survivability...

Especially since the new guy offers so much more,and is much better looking to boot!

Hmmm this sounds familiar... Oh wait, it's already happened with the intro of the pally. Take a hit and do massive DPS if setup correctly. Oh and guess what? They've already been nerfed to the ground...
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

reg1981 said:

Hmmm this sounds familiar... Oh wait, it's already happened with the intro of the pally. Take a hit and do massive DPS if setup correctly. Oh and guess what? They've already been nerfed to the ground...
    He is likely speaking of GWF, everybody's boogyman and favorite whipping boy in this forum.
    GWFs are fugly though.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    reg1981 said:

Paladin was a god class when they were first introduced though. Forgot about serving deities, they just went ahead and made themselves divine. I know, I made one on the first day back in April 2015. They did need to be nerfed a little. I killed the monster on the Sleeping Dragon Bridge with one hit from the Divine Judgment daily.

• Options

I am waiting for somebody to demand a nerf to the half-orc racial bonuses. lol

No, half-orcs racial bonuses shouldn't be nerfed, they should just get a -2 to intelligence and charisma, because they are stupid and they smell bad.

• Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    No. I want gear balance. Example in pvp: 4k vs 4k, 3k vs 3k. If that happens class imbalance would suddenly become far less noticeable
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User

armadeonx said:

I understand what you're saying, but which class or role is currently not viable in Neverwinter?

There is only one role in Neverwinter = dps
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User

Sad but true. Either take out Paingiver OR add a section for Buffs/Heals. A lot of players are too concerned about being top DPS instead of fostering teamwork.

As for balance, not gonna happen. How could monetization of the game continue to occur if we didn't have disparity between classes/paths? CW/HR/GF/SW CAN do as much DPS as a tricked out GWF but all of them have either spent time or money or both to get there. Balance the classes too much and you have no incentive for some folks to catch up by paying real money. No money = no more active development.

This game, and most MMOs, are prime examples of capitalism - create and elite "class" and let the money roll in as people try to catch up to what they consider BiS.

I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

This
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    silence1x said:

Sad but true. Either take out Paingiver OR add a section for Buffs/Heals. A lot of players are too concerned about being top DPS instead of fostering teamwork.

As for balance, not gonna happen. How could monetization of the game continue to occur if we didn't have disparity between classes/paths? CW/HR/GF/SW CAN do as much DPS as a tricked out GWF but all of them have either spent time or money or both to get there. Balance the classes too much and you have no incentive for some folks to catch up by paying real money. No money = no more active development.

This game, and most MMOs, are prime examples of capitalism - create and elite "class" and let the money roll in as people try to catch up to what they consider BiS.

HUnters for example gushing wound rewards them buffing ally with extra hit ( gushing wound multiple triggers at same second) counts for hunter damage. THE ranged version longstrider 50% damage buff no credit for hunter.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    frankly, this games slow slate of actual playable content, is the reason this is always a issue.. most other mmos reset every year with new content and new level caps.

you play to new level cap.. get geared, probably do that wiht a few alts.. or spend time in pvp.. then you redo it the next year.

this game decided not really to do that.. or tried it once.. but implemented it pretty poorly and blam.. every mod we get more power.. and all they do is try to slow people down with really boring grind.. adding alot of it recently.. no player ever said.. boy wish we had 15 more hours of trinket grinding this mod.

I for one just take neverwinter for what it is now.. i dont expect it to be anything else.. you guys can continue to do so.. but they do not have the time or the resources to do anything but what they are doing..

if I was part of the problem, when i asked for more harder content.. then shame on me.. because all we mostly got was tons of grinding and it drove away hundreds of players from the game..

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I never read anywhere in the Holy Book of How-to-Make MMORPGs that classes need to be balanced. I just thought they needed to be fun and work well together.

What classes in an MMORPG need are specific things that only that they can do, or do well, so that they will be desired for certain activities or for accomplishing certain goals in an easier or more effective way. Different dungeons, skirmishes, and pvp scenarios could even be designed so that you would want to bring along one of a particular class in your party.

Fighters fight, that's what they train for, so it makes sense that they are better at combat. But there are things they can't do as well as priests, rogues, or mages. Or things they can't do at all that the other classes can do.

If you want class balance in a game, trying to make it so that any class can beat another class (of equal level, IL, or whatever) one-on-one is not the way to go about it. It's totally unrealistic anyway.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User

I never read anywhere in the Holy Book of How-to-Make MMORPGs that classes need to be balanced. I just thought they needed to be fun and work well together.

What classes in an MMORPG need are specific things that only that they can do, or do well, so that they will be desired for certain activities or for accomplishing certain goals in an easier or more effective way. Different dungeons, skirmishes, and pvp scenarios could even be designed so that you would want to bring along one of a particular class in your party.

Fighters fight, that's what they train for, so it makes sense that they are better at combat. But there are things they can't do as well as priests, rogues, or mages. Or things they can't do at all that the other classes can do.

If you want class balance in a game, trying to make it so that any class can beat another class (of equal level, IL, or whatever) one-on-one is not the way to go about it. It's totally unrealistic anyway.

i lost you at "i thought" ...
    thats really debatable
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @safespacecadet#3341
    "I just thought they needed to be fun and work well together.
    If you want class balance in a game, trying to make it so that any class can beat another class (of equal level, IL, or whatever) one-on-one is not the way to go about it. It's totally unrealistic anyway."

Ah, if only that were true.
    Your central theme, (classes are specialists not equals) , is actually a reasonable argument ... in content that REQUIRES specialists.
    NWO is too far gone for that.
    For example, If traps in NWO actually killed, caused meaningful injuries, could not be ignored by VIP and could not be easily avoided, then TRs would be desired in all content for their special skills.
    The same could be said about healing (DCs), crowd control (CW)... etc.

NWO "content" requires little or no specialization.
    Every class can heal themselves with lifesteal.
    Traps don't matter.
    Stealth doesn't matter.
    Teamwork BARELY matters.
    All that matters is mooaaar DPS (directly or indirectly).
    To be desired or even tolerated in NWO "content" you are either a Paingiver or buff the Paingivers.
    Such insipid "content" perpetuates this despicable culture of DPS competition, hence the constant whining "whaaah, a GF got more DPS then me! Nerf!"

Not saying you are wrong: content requiring the unique skills of a healer, tank, Rogue and DPS would indeed be fun.

Just saying... that ship has sailed.
    Even if such a dungeon were released with mod 12, this "community" is so toxic, full of nerf trolls and DPS minded, a "specialist requirement" would be considered a nerf to DPS classes.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.