test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Life Steal on a Paladin

np55np55 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
I don't understand why some Paladins use it. You need so much of it to make it useful and you always have Temp HP and Shields protecting your HP.. making Life Steal completely useless.

Is there something about it that I don't know about? Does it proc AoC or something? I've even seen paladins using Life Drinker for their weapon enchant.
Tagged:

Comments

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    @np55, you might want to reach out to @rubytrue for info on his lifesteal build. Not sure how useful it is for a Protection Paladin other than a potential heal source for Prism, but the theory (I suspect) is to use lifesteal to feed additional healing to the party via Prism (or Bond of Virtue for Healadins). Ruby should be able to tell you if it helps to proc Burning Guidance and Healing Warmth through Bond of Virtue since they're both Devotion Paladins. Ruby and oggycz are doing some testing on the build so you might want to take a look at that discussion in the forums listed under the heading Me Healidin and Stealadin (can't remember the exact title but its there.) Hopes this helps somewhat.

Shia
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Did anyone know if Life Steal heals thru bond of virtue ? I know it works with Prism, but wondering about BoV, and my LS is way too low to effectively test that.
  • wartailss#9312 wartailss Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Are your healers that bad?
  • np55np55 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    Oh that's cool! goodbye Purifying fire!
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Noice! :D
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    np55 said:

I don't understand why some Paladins use it. You need so much of it to make it useful and you always have Temp HP and Shields protecting your HP.. making Life Steal completely useless.

Is there something about it that I don't know about? Does it proc AoC or something? I've even seen paladins using Life Drinker for their weapon enchant.

I don't think Life Steal works overly well on a ProtOP, but it seems to work really well for me as a DevOP "Stealadin." Oggycz and I have done a couple of runs together, and to be honest, the data is kind of confusing. ACT says that I only "hit" on lifesteal 45 times in a run, but at the same time, I was proccing Prism like crazy resulting in a lot of BG/HW. I know that when I pug, I am at (or near) the top in Paingiver, Field Medic, Immovable Object, and Executioner.

The basic premise is this: Daily initiates Prism-->Lifesteal heals me-->My self heal (via lifesteal) procs Prism-->Prism heals allies-->Ally heals proc BG/HW.

I am currently running at, I believe, 39.7% lifesteal; my powers are set up to deliver as many ticks of damage as possible (low crit, lots of AoE+add-on damage) so that I maximize my lifesteal probabilities.

The thing about DevOPs is that they don't get a lot of temp HP like ProtOPs, nor do we get the Shields; what we have is a lot of healing potential--and to maximize that (self) healing potential, I use lifesteal (dark enchantments) rather than defense because everytime I heal myself, I proc Prism (which, I believe, has no internal cooldown or max targets affected).

I first tried out a high lifesteal build as a ProtOP, and it actually worked fairly well; the only problem being I couldn't tank Orcus (didn't try FBI or SoMI). As a pure Stealadin, I've cast aside all illusions of being a tank (although I am often top in Immovable Object even with "real" tanks in the party) and consider myself primarily a DPS/Healing/Stealing hybrid. It is a lot of fun if you like the idea of playing a "dark paladin" stealing the lifeforce of your enemies.

I am only a 3K ilevel OP with no bonding stones (I use Owlbear Cub augment); I do really respectable damage now, but once I get my last two HW boons and some bonding stones, my damage should go through the roof.
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    Both burning guidance and healing warmth work on protection paladins, get around 20% LS, stack a good amount of recovery and multiple sources of ap gain and you can trash ecoes of light for beacon of hope (that will help you trigger burning guidance and healing warmth even more), then you can fish gifts of light and seraphin and aura gifts. What else....magistrate consideration, drowcraft pants + shirt and sheperd devotion (related), if you take this build entirelly you'll be abble to dismiss the healer in your party due to sucessive dailly casts and still get loads of damage from boons, summing up, completly broken.

np55 said:

Since I don't have bonding enchants, I kept Purifying FIre and dropped Aura Gifts (anathema, I know); once I get my bonding stones, however, I will be dropping Purifying Fire again and picking up Aura Gifts again....(Purifying fire creates more opportunities for lifesteal--you don't have to steal a lot to get BG/HW procced via prism; small ticks still do the trick.)
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    np55 said:

Don't. Keep 1 point in it, it's an additional hit.

I have 4k (11%) Life Steal on Prot, 6.7k (17%) after using banner. On trash BG/HW procs like crazy from Prism. And when running with Healadin using Vow the BG/HW procs are guaranteed.

np55 said:

I have 4k (11%) Life Steal on Prot, 6.7k (17%) after using banner. On trash BG/HW procs like crazy from Prism. And when running with Healadin using Vow the BG/HW procs are guaranteed.
    This. The thing about Prism is that you only need to steal(heal) a little in order to proc Prism which in turn procs BG/HW. (And for the same reason, you will want at least one point in Beacon of Hope.)
  • vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

np55 said:

This. The thing about Prism is that you only need to steal(heal) a little in order to proc Prism which in turn procs BG/HW. (And for the same reason, you will want at least one point in Beacon of Hope.)
    Is Beacon of Hope really necessary?

I mean, as far as i know both BG and HW have internal cooldowns, which means if i proc Beacon and Prism at the same time i'll proc these Boons only once, it's not one proc for Beacon and one for Prism. If this is true, then Prism by itself is already enough to proc both, or am i missing something?

rubytrue said:

np55 said:

Is Beacon of Hope really necessary?

I mean, as far as i know both BG and HW have internal cooldowns, which means if i proc Beacon and Prism at the same time i'll proc these Boons only once, it's not one proc for Beacon and one for Prism. If this is true, then Prism by itself is already enough to proc both, or am i missing something?
    Just depends on your lifesteal; I have one point in Beacon just in case the ghosts of RNG sneak up on me and I don't proc a lifesteal. But yeah, they have an internal cooldown of 1 second now, but I don't think they have a cap on the number of allies that can proc it nor the number of mobs affected. That is why I only have one point in Beacon. If you look at the run that oggycz and I did, however, he has five ranks, I believe, and it was his #2 source of healing. (Prism was my primary source of healing, by far.)
  • lance1967lance1967 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    So Beacon of Hope can heal you as well? It says "Randomly 3 allies within 30'" so I never thought it was worth anything towards me.
    lance1967 said:

So Beacon of Hope can heal you as well? It says "Randomly 3 allies within 30'" so I never thought it was worth anything towards me.

I don't think it heals you, but anytime there is an "attempted" heal on any ally, it can proc BG/HW. Think of it as a bonus heal and ongoing BG/HW proc mechanism.
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    So does the stealadin not work on the tankadin? I made a tankadin just to play around with this idea... but the objective was for him to still be able to tank. My goal was to see if I could make a single character for tanking and healing so that my DC friends could go full buff.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

ravenskya said:

So does the stealadin not work on the tankadin? I made a tankadin just to play around with this idea... but the objective was for him to still be able to tank. My goal was to see if I could make a single character for tanking and healing so that my DC friends could go full buff.

It can work on a tankadin, but the tankadin won't be as tanky as a dedicated tank simply because you have to dump points into lifesteal rather than defense. Don't get me wrong, you will be able to tank most content, but Orcus is pretty difficult without being dedicated.

It works really well on a healadin build; you become pretty much a buff/debuff DPSer.
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    Okay -I built a tankadin just to experiment with it. We will see how it goes
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

ravenskya said:

I started out that way, but I became addicted to the damage I could do as a DevOP.
  • mcfly#2257 mcfly Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

ravenskya said:

I started out that way, but I became addicted to the damage I could do as a DevOP.
    Don't be shy...start a guide. :D No honestly it would be nice if you would write a guide or make a video guide.
  • vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

ravenskya said:

It can work on a tankadin, but the tankadin won't be as tanky as a dedicated tank simply because you have to dump points into lifesteal rather than defense. Don't get me wrong, you will be able to tank most content, but Orcus is pretty difficult without being dedicated.

It works really well on a healadin build; you become pretty much a buff/debuff DPSer.
    As a tankadin i NEVER put points in Defense, only in HP. All of my DR come from passives and powers.

Anyway, the problem still stands: if the Paladin uses only Radiant (for HP) on Defensive Slots, then he'll have no Dark Enchantment which means no Life Steal. I guess the best way to solve this is:

1)Legendary Companion with 3 pieces of Loyal Avenger and then use Dark Rank 12 on its defensive slots plus 3x Bonding Rank 12.

2)Zulkir's Dreadnought as body piece.

3)As much Life Steal boons as you can get.

4)Vanguard Banner as 1 of your 4 artifacts because it gives Life Steal and also gives the 2 most important stats for a Paladin (HP and Power).
  • darnximxdeaddarnximxdead Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    5) Mount insignia's of leeching (epic = 200 x15 =3k)

6) mount active bonus - 2k lifesteal

7) armor kits x4

Most lifesteal will be from SH boon