test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mod 11 Feedback

r000kier000kie Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 517 Arc User
edited March 2017 in Player Feedback (PC)
As it was expected, once more and more people get their weapons or drop down in frustration due to lack of AF drops, the population in MOD11 maps is dwindling slowly.

What is not dwindling, is the insane number of mobs. You put them everywhere - in bushes, on paths, on revive points. Today saw someone making a party to the Fey portal and I said hey... let's team with them and save some time, after all I need to do that 35 times to get petrified dust and soloing is taking me some time. Also I hate that initial run, so I take any chance to avoid it if someone else finish it first.

1. Heading to portal, got repeatedly hit by a long ranged mob despite me navigating between the group of mobs I could see and got dismounted. While you considerably cranked up mob damage, you forgot to raise the amount of damage one can take before being dismounted, at least this is my feeling. Epic mount is now like a green mount.

2. As more and more mobs piled up (was near a site) tried to run. I was successfully going away at slow pace with that awfully hands-up-please-don't-shoot-me walk CWs have when aggroed, but guess what - mobs can now chase you a quarter of map before giving up. Seems Cryptic is giving mobs a longer leash than the one keeping the players in. In the meantime already passed a bush with some hidden mobs, so was again hopping away to escape with that weird stance.

3. Portal was covered by the adiacent BHE, no point to fight those mobs alone, so instance jump it is. Revive at a site full of mobs because...

So point 2 again, mount, 1 again, 2 again, 3 again (I'm not kidding). The guys inside the portal instance were waiting patiently. Had to excuse myself for wasting their time and got out of the team. Jumped one more time - portal had the adjacent BHE on so despite getting PM'ed by the party leader to join them (they were fully capable to finish that without me, 3.5k leader just wanted to help) I logged out in frustration.

I'm almost 3.3k - not a problem to kill mobs on maps but the TIME wasted to get from A to B is insane.

Moderator edited title and removed snark, in an attempt to keep valuable feedback on the forums.
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I'm okay with it. Mobs you can one shot simply by looking at them funny are equally as tiresome. Mods should have a progression of mob difficulty. I can stand still in WoD and let mobs beat me up while I check my stat fluctuations, in the river district I can't, and that's how it should be.

Please stop asking for everything to be made easier. The game's easy enough as it is.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,233 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I don't have issue for this particular "problem" for 3 toons that are participating River District. I just avoid them without aggro them enough to drop me from the ride. By the way, I don't follow the dot and just a bee line to where I want to go and avoid mob in between.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Only thing remotely dangerous in the new zone are the fire soul dreadnoughts with their ground burning AoEs.
  • Options
    r000kie said:

Take your R12 bondings out and play the game if you find it a walk in the park; thank you. At some point this game will be just a circle jerk of 100 BIS players.

Did you even read what I wrote? "I'm almost 3.3k - not a problem to kill mobs on maps but the TIME wasted to get from A to B is insane."

I don't know but somehow I can just bee line to where I want to go without stopping. Since I did not stop, that has nothing to do with r12 bonding (which 2 of my 3 toons do not have).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

Only thing remotely dangerous in the new zone are the fire soul dreadnoughts with their ground burning AoEs.

By the way, during the Ship encounter fire sometimes doesn't draw properly on the ground. You get the damage but you don't see the fire and don't know where it is safe to move. I've seen a few people dying of it and died myself a couple of times before realizing I just have to run away.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I have R9's and greater bonding's and found few problems soloing on my buff-DC...just saying.
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I've done that portal once so far and ran into that BHE. They had a lot of fun thinking that one up. The biggest mob is a foot away from the portal, like he is standing guard.
  • Options
    btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    MONSTER POPULATION IN RIVER DISTRICT IS FINE, THANKS.
  • Options
    lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User

MONSTER POPULATION IN RIVER DISTRICT IS FINE, THANKS.

Ye It's just fine.
    It's supposed to be an area for which you go head to head with the enemy forces, you're supposed to meet them at every corner.

Every Aspect of this mod is fine to the casual solo pve player (I love it so far) save for the lack of Arcanic Focus drop.

They seriously need to do something about it.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    I understand that it can be frustrating to struggle to solo, but this game really did lack a zone that felt at least somewhat dangerous to venture through. Almost everywhere else, we can easily avoid most mobs.

To be fair, I main support classes so I really do feel the frustration at times when quests are glorified dps checks. But I also think that the solution isn't to make every zone easily solo-able.

Most days, I'll group up to complete the daily in RD. It's way smoother to farm digs together.

I do get the complaint that it can be hard to reach the trial portals if you just zoned in, but I don't think that making that more convenient would justify diluting the zone's difficulty.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    There are a couple of chokepoints where it's tough or impossible to not draw some aggro, and a few spots where if you stop to fight, you're going to have to fight a patrol as well, but I've only been shot off my mount a couple of times and always due to miscalculating the aggro radius of a group of ranged mobs.

Respawning at what I assume was a guard post currently under attack or fallen, I can only describe as bad luck, but part of the zone's mechanics.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I think the reason for unsafe campfires is that guards get kited away from their posts and it seems that the criteria for a post falling into enemy hands is that all defenders are slain. We end up with the worst of both worlds - guardposts that are unsafe and yet can't be secured. The guards are scattered out on the roads, their health seems to reset out of combat and the enemies on roads aren't as numerous as the ones set up to be able to take guard post. No attrition -> mechanic breaks.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,098 Arc User
    r000kie said:

1. Heading to portal, got repeatedly hit by a long ranged mob despite me navigating between the group of mobs I could see and got dismounted. While you considerably cranked up mob damage, you forgot to raise the amount of damage one can take before being dismounted, at least this is my feeling. Epic mount is now like a green mount.

What it takes for you to be dismounted is a loss of a % of your HP over a very short period of time. With the uptick in damage in the River District you can be one-shot off your mount. WaI.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    mistalowmistalow Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Monsters in bushes :D
  • Options
    kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    I actually like the river district map. The design and everything except bug digsite which i feel is very annoying and gamebreaking for me. Everytime i m bored and trying to go solo adventure on the digsite, i have to worry about bugging the digsite each time i entered. Its very tiring eventhough it can be fix. If there is no such bug, i would have a very wonderful time playing this map.
  • Options
    I don't see a big obstacle to reach all 3 portal without aggro the mob. Yes, you might be dropped few times in the beginning but that should be ease once you get familiar with the area. I can get to all 3 portals without aggro anything. Camp fire is a mob magnet. Hence, don't run through camp fire in the route to your destination.

The only path that I had mob issue in the beginning was one path from the home base to the ship. I am pretty certain I would be dropped if I use that path (which is a longer path anyway; I did not know better). There is more than one path to go to the ship from home base.
  • Options
    pitshade said:

I think the reason for unsafe campfires is that guards get kited away from their posts and it seems that the criteria for a post falling into enemy hands is that all defenders are slain. We end up with the worst of both worlds - guardposts that are unsafe and yet can't be secured. The guards are scattered out on the roads, their health seems to reset out of combat and the enemies on roads aren't as numerous as the ones set up to be able to take guard post. No attrition -> mechanic breaks.

This does seem accurate. Dragged-off guards could even land somewhere that there are never patrols at all.

As a general note, getting NPCs killed off in this zone is beneficial. I don't engage mobs at guard posts if they are fighting NPCs, as it gives me or others more leeway to be able to upgrade. And if you stumble across misplaced NPCs, the best thing might be to try to lure some foes their way.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I didn't feel like the pathfinding was as bad as all that on preview when there was nobody there but me, though clearing and upgrading everything all by my lonesome was definitely tedious, not least because the instance would close while I was in dig sites, putting my progress back to zero.

But that is a very different problem to density.

I have very little problem traipsing around the map while fighting absolutely nothing that isn't mandatory, looting treasures, hitting dig sites. There are a couple of spots on the docks where my companion has brought me an extra group of Nashers, and the big HEs can overlap a few objectives in ways I haven't seen a way around. Mostly though, if you watch where you're going, hug walls, etc. it's cake. In my opinion.

(Honestly, when I'm not doing instanced content or kill-quests, I tend to get very few utility enchant procs because I avoid combat so much.)

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited March 2017
    r000kie said:

greywynd said:

What it takes for you to be dismounted is a loss of a % of your HP over a very short period of time. With the uptick in damage in the River District you can be one-shot off your mount. WaI.

One of my complaints. Either an oversight, or if it is WAI, bring on the Mythic mounts! I will buy 0 of them!
    mistalow said:

Monsters in bushes :D

Right. There is a treatment for that in RL!

Now... it seems some missed the message. I signaled a potential (soon to be reached) situation when players will face a very hostile map, trying to travel towards campaign goals. After the thick of the cream will get the weapons, the area will be quite deserted - and I got a taste of that, forcing me to fight or evade countless gangs of mobs. Fey area was involved, the rest is reasonable enough to avoid.

Now I know some 4k or the 1.5k chugging potions following an algorithm will not understand this, but most players cannot one-shot everything. I do just fine, and I die in digs at points (the horror!) with my 2 over 3k avas... don't mind that.

With the AF drops just corrected as per patch (thank you forum community), I do hope all players asking for harder harder harder mob density content will just pop up in the area cleaning up maps, for fun.

Well, I clearly missing something. I don't have any legendary mount. My 3 toons are from 3.0 to 3.3K, GWF, TR and OP. My favourite area actually is the Nosture area (the Fey area) because I found it to be the easiest and relatively wide and clear passage. I go from dig site to dig site from west to east on the top of the map everyday for 3 toon. I do the little HE if someone started it. The portal I went through the most is the one in Nosture. I do all these solo. Never die unless I made a mistake for staying in red for way too long (such as when I pick up the phone).

I may change my impression when my SW and DC start RD though. I can imagine my SW may need more real estate to be effective (hence, pull more aggro) and my DC is weaker in offense (take long time to do anything).
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Just curious, can it be your companion pulling aggro to you?
    May be it is the view perspective. My setting is 90. May be I see more area than you.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Certain flying pets - I can confirm Sprites and the Wisp - don't follow very close, don't leash properly when you mount/dismount and are very prone to pull mobs from behind you. Apart from certain pinch points and the natural camouflage of Nostura's minions, I rarely have trouble avoiding random fights as long as attention is paid to where I am going.

Both of my characters running RD are 3.4k (DC and CW) and while the fights aren't facerolls, the only time I've died from mobs was while AFK on my CW. (ProTip: AFK at the villa or outside of patrols in the unclaimed areas. Guardposts aren't safe!) At my level of gear solo content shouldn't be challenging, at least for straight up fights.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother