Install Arc
Options

Vladek's SB Fury Face-Melting Guide

2»

Comments

• Options
    strykr75601strykr75601 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    tyrtallow said:

Are you guys sure this isn't just an issue with Warlock's Curse damage buff increasing initial SS damage and then disappearing for the rest of the equation because you forgot to put it back up again

I don't know for sure, honestly, but given the variance in the SSB/SS ratio, I wouldn't readily ascribe the difference to WC.

• Options
    merhunesdagon1merhunesdagon1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User

tyrtallow said:

Are you guys sure this isn't just an issue with Warlock's Curse damage buff increasing initial SS damage and then disappearing for the rest of the equation because you forgot to put it back up again

I don't know for sure, honestly, but given the variance in the SSB/SS ratio, I wouldn't readily ascribe the difference to WC.

Im not 100% sure about this as my experience comes from playing the game and not really doing alot of testing like u guys, but tyrtallow your problem could be from WC animation. You might not be letting the WC animation complete before spamming another SS. Again, im not 100% sure this is the case, because im not big on testing and you probably are able to get WC up without full completion of the animation most of the time. It could be something to think about.
  • Options
    tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I'm not sure you should be referring to me since I was merely commenting on the subject, but regardless an experienced warlock would tell you not to rely on the animations. I know others just do a sort of "1, 2" count in their head, I do a combination of that and paying attention to my target's debuff icon bar.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • Options
    cindy#5704 cindy Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Has anyone else tried this build yet. I will be trying once I get my crit right. I use the same path for dark revelry for my hb build. Our special companion is doing a lot of damage with pop. I love soul binder but dont want to sacrifice my damage. Unless I gain damage I will switch. I have other characters in the game. I want this warlock at max dps
  • Options
    tyrtallow said:

I'm not sure you should be referring to me since I was merely commenting on the subject, but regardless an experienced warlock would tell you not to rely on the animations. I know others just do a sort of "1, 2" count in their head, I do a combination of that and paying attention to my target's debuff icon bar.

Like I said twice already, im not 100% sure and if i had the time myself i would actually test it to see if it was the case. I'm also not sure what you're trying to get at either when you say warlocks shouldn't rely on animations, given that fact that most of your dmg dealing powers like SS for example can be canceled out if you move before the animation is complete. even other powers like BoVA could be canceled out in the same way.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    What I think @tyrtallow is referring to is that relying on animations can, at times, be a risky proposition, as server lag, among other factors, can misrepresent what powers have and have not been fired. Personally, I rely on the WC icon floating above the target's head, as that is easier to pick out than looking for the icon on the debuff bar.
  • Options
    tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Like I said twice already, im not 100% sure and if i had the time myself i would actually test it to see if it was the case. I'm also not sure what you're trying to get at either when you say warlocks shouldn't rely on animations, given that fact that most of your dmg dealing powers like SS for example can be canceled out if you move before the animation is complete. even other powers like BoVA could be canceled out in the same way.

You should learn to read my post better then, especially in the context of the previous posts, because I was referring to something completely different. I was pointing out how people can sometimes forget to re-cast Warlock's Curse during testing when using a power with a Curse Consume effect, resulting in skewed damage results. This is especially important if a DoT power was in effect while the Warlock's Curse was up, because current/future damage ticks automatically get updated by the presence/lack of Warlock's Curse.

And yeah, server lag, buggy animations, the presence of other warlocks in the team, the presence of teammates using classes with really flashy animations... you learn to cope over time. @strykr75601 destroys things pretty much on his own, so probably doesn't have these problems as much.
    These days I only seem to reliably see the Warlock's Curse icon while soloing.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • Options
    To answer @tyrtallow 's original question, which I am belatedly realizing that I have not: I applied WC twice, one before the initial cast of SS, and immediately after, immediately preceding the second cast. I don't believe that WC was the reason for the skewed numbers, as the minor spikes happened at times that wouldn't logically correspond with WC application. Then again, we all know how logical this game is.
  • Options
    That makes better sense, especially when it comes to server lag. I'll be the 1st to admit I dont heavily rely on animations. I dont know about anyone else, but im casting bova and spamming SS before TC animation is even ended most of the time. What I was simply getting at was warlocks curse wont be applied at times if the animation isnt complete and sometimes it does..@tyrtallow I ran with strykr a few times on my noob sw, I thought he was gonna hit 1bil dmg in fbi. basically he doubled my dps with ease. so I see what you talking about lol. Im not running with adorable bites or loyal avengers atm, but that'll soon change. even then I doubt I'd keep up with this guy.
  • Options
    darthbane13#2662 darthbane13 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    So @strykr75601, have you considered posting any videos of running high lvl content? Only 3.1k atm, but I find the SB truly excellent in the higher hp am higher tier mobs where they don't melt in a second or 2. Haven't even had the opportunity to run FBI yet, but looking forward to going machine-gun Kelly on frost giants lol
  • Options
    @darthbane13#2662 Yes, that is an idea in the works. I will likely get some videos made in the next two weeks or so, likely of FBI, and the more common eToS, and perhaps some eSP runs if I can get enough together. My goal is also to better illustrate my rotations and power usage in a practical setting, above and beyond the condensed version detailed in my guide.
  • Options
    Awesome, look forward to seeing them. Ran FBI for the first time last night and had great results. Was forced to run DT and kite more due to the 1shot nature of the enemies there lol. And I am realizing more and more how integral the really high crit chance is in this build. Need to start investing in those azures as I work towards the relic gear
  • Options
    @darthbane13 highest I've seen mine was 97.5% and from what striker stresses is having it at 100% makes all the more difference. This is something I had to have pointed out to me as well.
  • Options
    @merhunesdagon1 I've read that as well. With the sudden rings proc I've had high numbers like that, but I'm working on getting it that high with the rising rings and companions gift. Once I get mine to rank 12 and the enchants up, I think that will go a long way. I've seen the huge damage potential with the SB, especially in the end game high hp mobs. Gear makes a huge difference with the SB though, as well as having decent connection, I've found on ps4 that the warlocks curse doesn't tag correctly when I'm lagging, and next thing I know all my sparks are gone on a target with only a lesser curse
  • Options
    So this seems to be the place to ask pointed SB fury questions, so I'm throwing this out there. Currently running dark revelry, in a build almost exactly the same as the guide posted here. However, after some consideration, I've come to see note that the 4k power increase, while notable in small, not heavily buffed parties in mid tier content is not as beneficial in the higher tier content when power is buffed heavily (over 100k or so). Considering its base power of the user, our 4k power buff on a group running over 100k power, we are only looking at a net 4% buff over everyone. Again, the buff potential drops as power exceeds that's number, but I was throwing around the idea of either throwing points into the immolation spirits feat to throw more SS or put some points into the fury tree for a flat buff or debuff (ie. Burning soul, helltouched/infernal wrath and maybe 5 points on hope stealer for the increased life steal). Thoughts??
  • Options

So this seems to be the place to ask pointed SB fury questions, so I'm throwing this out there. Currently running dark revelry, in a build almost exactly the same as the guide posted here. However, after some consideration, I've come to see note that the 4k power increase, while notable in small, not heavily buffed parties in mid tier content is not as beneficial in the higher tier content when power is buffed heavily (over 100k or so). Considering its base power of the user, our 4k power buff on a group running over 100k power, we are only looking at a net 4% buff over everyone. Again, the buff potential drops as power exceeds that's number, but I was throwing around the idea of either throwing points into the immolation spirits feat to throw more SS or put some points into the fury tree for a flat buff or debuff (ie. Burning soul, helltouched/infernal wrath and maybe 5 points on hope stealer for the increased life steal). Thoughts??

If you're going with hopestealer, might as well go ahead with dark revelry like what the face melting guide says, though i have yet to copy this build. Save for a few points into temp, his build is pretty much identical to mine. Im running full fury sb atm, havent had a gwf outdps me in FBI yet (knocks on wood). a bit over 100% crit chance and working on buffing my power a bit.i say go for it and play around a bit. might have better results then me or vladek. currently, it would seem like dark revelry would be a better option over say, burning soul or murderous flames, but probably not game changing as far as personal dmg goes. just my opinion though. should ask strykr, he's probably tested this extensively.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @darthbane13#2662 You're ultimately free to play around with the build as you see fit, but I strongly recommend keeping Helltouched and Hope Stealer at a minimum. I prefer to run Dark Revelry for the power buff, as I get around 6k power from it, and oftentimes I run as a temptation warlock, so I don't get the power boost from a Cleric. When it comes to running as DPS, though, either Sparkbinder is useful for more single target DPS, or Murderous Flames would definitely be workable, and I am debating running with one of those as my buffed power further and further outpaces my base power. However, I find the extra mobility that Dark Revelry gives you is invaluable in combat for positioning and dodging.

If I were to drop Dark Revelry, I would go for Murderous Flames, as, in my opinion, that is the only other feat in the Fury tree worth going for. If you were to back out of Temptation tree entirely, I would recommend going Murderous Flames, then Parting Blasphemy and Sparkbinder. Recently, as I do more and more Tier 3 runs, I find myself using KF more often, so I may swap to MF feat in the near future. However, for most players that run mostly T2 runs, my build as detailed in this guide should be close to optimal.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input @strykr75601 and @merhunesdagon1, it's funny, I was running some consecutive FBI and MSVA runs just last evening and started reconsidering staying with dark revelry for the mobility alone. Felt like a tweaked out butterfly of death with DR and shadow slip, it was awesome. There may be a time when I'll play with spark binder and MF and drop the temptation tree just to see how it goes, but the dodging capabilities in tier 3 content is hard to give up now that I'm rolling into it and upgrading those weapons. Thanks again for the input folks!