test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a big issue with M11 Weapon restoration?

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited March 2017 in General Discussion (PC)
As you might know, I wrote a small Mini-guide to Mod11 but there is one critical piece of information missing from it - the restoration cost for mainhand weapons.

I would have had that data if I had continued to play on Preview after M11 went live, but I didn't, and I will not get my own mainhand on live until Thursday. If anyone reading this has gotten a mainhand M11 weapon on Live, please share the information on the restoration cost.

The cost for restoring my offhand on Preview is as follows:

2500 Abandoned treasures.
15 Petrified Dust (Fey), Tainted Soil (Aboleth), Constructed Iron (Lifeforged) or Fleece (Mirage)
20 Vial of Fey Blood (Fey) Volatile Ichor (Aboleth), Spell Amber (Lifeforged) or Ground Jade (Mirage).
45 Arcane Magical Writings
40 Arcanic Focus.

People who have gotten the Fey or Aboleth offhand on Live have confirmed those numbers.

But, there is one major issue of confusion, though. In Kali Gold's weapon restoration video, the offhand restoration numbers are different. There are two minor differences, and one major. The minor difference is 3K Abandoned treasures instead of 2.5K and 40 Arcane Magical Writings instead of 45. The big, BIG, issue is 10 Arcanic Focus instead of 40.

Now, a cost of 10 Arcanic Focus is fine, with maybe 15 for the mainhand. That would mean most people should be able to gather that resource in about the same time as they get the other resources, say 3-4 weeks. Getting 40 Arcanic focus (with maybe another 60 required for mainhand) would require maybe additional 6-8 weeks of playing, just for that single resource - which is not fun - in particular not if rumors of a hardcoded drop limit of 3 per day are true.

So, what is going on?

Possibility 1: The Mirage Weapons have (by design) a different (and much more reasonable) restoration cost than the other weapons, possibly justified by the fact that some of their restoration materials are obtained in a different way (by running the skirmish, not the Boss lairs). If that is the case, I would consider it extremely unfair, as everyone has to get Arcanic focus the same way, by farming dig sites.

Possibility 2: The Mirage weapons have a different (and lower) restoration cost that the other weapons, but this is just a typical error - they are supposed to all cost the same.

Possibility 3: The restoration cost was changed at some point on Preview, and Kali Gold just happened to get his weapon before the restoration cost was changed from 10 to 40. If this is the case, I have to say that the developers made a really bad decision. I have gotten 0-3 Arcanic focus per day, despite something farming dig sites for hours - doing multiple rounds. As I keep saying - this is a game, it is supposed to be fun, but excessive grinding is just not fun - it is boring "work" - and it is not why people are playing a game...

The way I see it, there is a screw-up somewhere.

Update

It seems that possibility 3 above is the actual one. The total cost for a weapon set is therefore:
  • 5500 Abandoned treasures. Very easy
  • 35 Petrified Dust, Tainted Soil, Constructed Iron or Fleece. (Bound purple materials) Easy.
  • 50 Vial of Fey Blood, Volatile Ichor, Spell Amber or Ground Jade. (Unbound purple materials) Very easy.
  • 105 Arcane Magical Writings. Slow, but doable. Requires a bit of work, or (as it is unbound) a bit of AD.
  • 85 Arcanic Focus. Very slow. Requires extensive grinding, and will typically take three times as long as the other materials.
Have fun grinding, everyone - in particular if reports of a daily limit of 3 Arcane Focus are accurate.
Hoping for improvements...
Post edited by adinosii on

Comments

• Options
    sabre10sabre10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    @adinosii have you noted that all those materials are unbound with the exception of the fleece which is bound to character. Admittedly I'm basing this on an n=1, but if this is consistent and accurate ......
    aDXr4Ur.png
    Civil Anarchy Officer
    Fabled Alliance
  • Options
    sabre10 said:

@adinosii have you noted that all those materials are unbound with the exception of the fleece which is bound to character. Admittedly I'm basing this on an n=1, but if this is consistent and accurate ......

Not quite correct. Each weapon requires two types of purple restoration materials. One is bound, the other unbound.

Aboleth weapons: Tainted Soil (bound) and Volatile Icor (unbound)
    Fey Weapons: Petrified Dust (bound) and Vial of Fey blood (unbound)
    Liveforged Weapons; Constructed Iron (bound) and Spell Amber (unbound)
    Mirage weapons: Fleece (bound) and Ground Jade (unbound)

I don't see this as a problem, as all those materials (bound or unbound) are pretty easy to get. Arcane Magical Writings require some effort, but are still reasonable - the only real issue is with Arcanic Focus.
  • Options
    lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    Got my aboleth off hand today.

Got everything except the focus....aaaand...when I saw that number for arcanic focus (40) I was like... "HOW??!?!"

I've done rounds and rounds of dig sites without even getting one! how is that even possible ?

Someone needs to take a look at it asap.

I'm okay with a reasonable grind for mats but this is absurd.

• Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I've checked the costs of both mainhand and offhand mirage weapons for HR by copying my live character to preview. The focus cost was the same as you listed above. I'll post a screenshot later today when I get back home.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    lowendus said:

I'm okay with a reasonable grind for mats but this is absurd.

It is.....sub-optimal ;)

Seriously though....we have pointed this out multiple times. See for example:

Current patch note thread on Preview: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228836/cloaked-ascendancy-preview-patch-notes-nw-75-20170206a-6

Complaint thread: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228770/arcane-focus-and-writings-is-a-issue

Also see the relevant section in the mini-guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hVZng0skcQW4dfH0Qy9bcBihAvw78Km4g7wm_eWRn_0/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    There seems to be a issue with arcane focus.. it might be locked to 3 a day and on a personal reset.. THIS Is bonkers and bullcrap.. they have to let us know what the timer is and what the total # youc an get a day and THEY need to up it.. so when you miss a day, its not so EFFING terrible.

They really screwed up arcane focus farming..

They need to respond to us asap..

they also are totally ignoring that thread, as well as complaints in general with arcane focus.

Once again.. out of touch with player base.. releasing a core element in this messed up broken state.. no need to frusate us in this manner.

At the rate most poele acquire arcane focus, you will be able to buy 2-3 weapon sets !!!!!

Of course you would never restore those.. as it would take you .. years of grinding at this rate.

• Options

Of course you would never restore those.. as it would take you .. years of grinding at this rate.

Now, that's an exaggeration - one year of boring, mind-numbing grinding should be enough ;)
  • Options
    nonsense..

they are already gated.. I dont think them moving it from say 3 a day to 6 a day.. or so is that big of a deal, but it allowed plaeyrs to farm a bit more constructively..

or reduce cost just a tad.. bring it down to 20 and 25.. or something.. still ridiculous.. but not so ridiculous at is currently stands.

I still think this is just a mistake.. I choose to believe that they screwed up loot tables on arcane focus, then actually think they meant for us to take like 1.5 months to farm the stupid thing.. we wont even the weapons before next double rp i think..

I just wish they could hurry up and fix it before next patch.

• Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    #3 probably, my mirage offhand has no difference with the other offhands stated. Seriously i only have 5 arcanic focus now, and i atleast grind a few digsites per day.
  • Options
    for the most part.. im getting only 1 or 2 focus per day.. you do the math.. not good.. and wtf is the most answers i see on this issue.

if you need 85.. your talking about on average for most people 60-65 days of grinding probably or more !

this is not really conceivable.. which makes me think it was just a error someplace..

its not that I dont think we should grind.. but the length is beyond reason.. i mean i dont mind visting dig site after dig site.. if it means we can achieve it.. but it seems to be capped and on a timer.. so even if you get ALL 3 in one day..
  • Options
    xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Main hand on live :

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    This just insane now. Was the goal to make players repeat something so many times that they'll get burnt out and leave the game? Hell the next RP event is 40 days away. I won't even have the HAMSTER restored in 40 days.
  • Options
    Thank you...I will add this to the guide right away.
  • Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited March 2017

HR Mirage weapons on preview, taken yesterday.
  • Options
    pirateking70pirateking70 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Man I wish I new about the cap before I ran 50 + dig site over 2 days to only get 2 FOCUS WHAT THE HELL. So much for easier to get. Don't mind the rest, can manage those resources but would really like a little reward for my playing time. So frustrating to do so many dig sites for no reward!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I have never gotten more than 3 copies of Arcane Focus per day. Maybe there is a daily limit - maybe I am just unlucky......

Edit: Scratch that....got 5 in tonight's session.
    Post edited by adinosii on
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    adinosii said:

Edit: Scratch that....got 5 in tonight's session.

I'm doing just the dailies on four toon, mostly dig sites with some ship. After 11 days, I am averaging 0.80 focus per day on each toon. I was starting to wonder if the 3 focus limit was account-wide. Glad to see it is not. But still, at this rate, it will be 3-4 months before I get both weapons. Just in time for mod 12.

By the lack of response, I'm starting to believe this is WAI. People who does just the dailies can get their weapons just in time for mod 12. People who want to go to town on the dig sites can get them in under half the time. It's like revenge for the people who rejected mod 10 and it's payback time.

• Options
    cambo1682cambo1682 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 164 Arc User
    The cynical side of me tends to think some sort of troll by the producer would be right up Cryptic's alley, but pushing players away via the Infinigrind(tm) model, two mods in a row, seems even too asinine for them. IF it is WAI, they screwed up...again. This is why their talent leaves the company and we are stuck with devs that don't actually play their own game or seem incapable of hitting the sweet spot between reasonable and idiotic. Mod 10 could have been fun, but they went way WAY overboard on the multiple levels of grind. Many skipped it, and they risk the same again here. It's a shame, the zones they have put out in both mods have been nice. Mod 11 is quite enjoyable and I think they are prety close on the progression mechanics. But someone at Cryptic is really out of touch, and they are the person in charge of calculating progression rates / costs. True to the pattern, there had to be something to rain on the parade.

I unfortunately have one of those toons that is regularly getting locked out of dig sites, not for several hours but for days. To me that is a bigger concern. I can't even get in to grind, be it a ridiculous or reasonable amount of arcanic focus. I've submitted bug reports in game and on the official bug report thread. I've come not to expect any answers, and they will probably fix this at the intro of mod 12, in the same spirit of the increased mark drops in SVA after it was probably too late. I really hope that doesn't happen with this mod, I quite like it, but I've pretty much lost any confidence in this company to competently manage the DnD LP.
  • Options
    panteleeleepanteleelee Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Hmmm my weekly is buged :D
    Kavatos no give me any weekly quest...yes yes i complete my campaign task b4 do the missions....

45 for main hand? thats (NOT)good....im lucky i need only 1 arcanic focus for off hand(fey off hand) which means 2 weeks farming for 45 arcanic focus.

Where is The traveling vendor?

Taylor DC/DO & AC Buff/Debuff - Guild Gutbusters Brigade - PVE
    May the Torm of Understanding guide us!
  • Options
    the most ive gotten was 3..

typical is 1 or 2..

you need 85...

holy batman.. how bad and terrible this is.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    WTF happened to the 15 to restore the OH. Guess they were out to HAMSTER people off after all.
  • Options
    orginal ARCANE focus total was correct, with current drop rates/cap..

new one.. IS way off.. with some poeple , not being able to get weapons for a month or longer.. up to 2!

What a pissy thing to do to its player base.. and of course tons of silence.

I wish I could downvote this company somewhere.. a physical action.. would give me some temporary relief =p
  • Options
    Yes.. but then ALLOW us to farm them at least 5 per day at a reasonable rate.. not just random 1-2 or maybe 3.. making the weapons TAKE longer to get then mod 10 weapons wasnt he answer.. that is ludicrous.

• Options
    ilmenirailmenira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    no news about this in twitch, state of the game, some minutes ago...
  • Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    Has there been any indication/comment from any dev. regarding this issue at all?

If it's wai, bugged or just really random, as the regular streaky, crappy rng we all love to hate?
  • Options
    its just bottom line boring.. which was my big complaing about somi.

however.. at least the map isnt as annoying. because i would spend 30 mins in somi driving a HAMSTER boat around wasting half of my time between quests.